mindtrick

Do u beleave in God

Check the definition of faith. If there is evidence then there is no need for faith.

From an online dictionary.

1. confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
2. belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
3. belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
4. belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty

Only one definition required no evidence. Eh, it is semantics. I believe your point.

Without faith it is impossible to see God.

steveOrino

You guys need to understand as a therapist/counselor (hope to be pyschologist one day) I have a different view of evidence than a scientist.

When diagnosing a client I see evidence that suggest a certain probabale diagnosis. It is never concrete. I don't expect pyschology to be, nor do I expect theology to be either

steveOrino

I personally think you are better off just saying that you believe in the Bible and you need no more evidence of God then that and your faith. All this arguing is really just a waste of time and really only serves one purpose, to understand what the other person thinks. At least that is my opinion.

I personally think you are better off just saying that you believe in the Bible and you need no more evidence of God then that and your faith. All this arguing is really just a waste of time and really only serves one purpose, to understand what the other person thinks. At least that is my opinion.

But how would I have fun during slow days? ;) That and I enjoy learning how atheists think.

steveOrino

Where was a physics professor when I needed one back then to explain my fallacy to me.

but if it can be explained without using devine intervention logic .. why can you not accept the possibility that maybe it was not devine intervention?

I suspect you can see it both ways - yes? and the obvious reasons why I have problems with it as an example of a miricle.

Why is this world so void of non-ambuigious evidence, things you can sink your teeth into sorta evidence, such that no one could possibly have any doubt about the origions of man if infact our origions are the result of a 'god' like entity.

as a parent - whom god/jesus represents to us as I understand christianaty - i feel as though this religion can be summed up as follows.

1. Say you live in a house on a busy road.
2. Say you have ten children - all age 3.
3. Say in the morning you put them in the front yard and say 'stay out of the road'.
4. Say you open up the door in the evening to find that only 1 listened to you, the other 9 were run over.. and
5. you say to that one last child - come on in - your worthy of my love as you listened to me and beleived in what I said.

-- here is my problem

as a parent - I would not allow my children in harms way. Your christian god does this - and this is not what I would consider consistant with the claims that this god is loving etc.. all the good things.

at best I see this god as ambiviliant and uncaring.. uninterested in its creation and possibly amused by the carnage they bring on themselves.

You guys need to understand as a therapist/counselor (hope to be pyschologist one day) I have a different view of evidence than a scientist.

Yes but a psychologist deals with things that exist only in your head. A physicist deals with things that exist in the real world. ;)

Yes but a psychologist deals with things that exist only in your head. A physicist deals with things that exist in the real world. ;)

No, there can be somatic complications as well.

steveOrino

No, there can be somatic complications as well.

Touche.

On the flip side, Quantum Field Theory can mess with the mind too.:D

it messes with mine! I wish I had mre of an aptitude for science. I cheated in chemistry in HS to make a C. In college microbiology I had my hospital find my unknowns for me. (I told you I wasn't always a Christian)

steveOrino

No.. not quite.. a physist deals with what is only in ones head as well - ie - what is in our head as to how we see the world or describe it.

i can word this better.

a physicist uses ideas that exist only in the realm of human consciousness to try and describe the physical world -

ehh, I will reword this again later..

Check the definition of faith. If there is evidence then there is no need for faith.

Here we go again.

Evidence/proof has nothing to do with the DEFINITION of the word, "faith."

Now, I'm sure someone's gonna' copy & paste a dictionary entry for the word, but try to hold it, ok? The most basic meaning of the word is confidence. Faith is from the latin, fides, trust. Nothing about evidence or proof in fides.
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

In 1984 I lived in Alaska. . .

It sounds like weight distribution, speed, tire size, tire pressure, tread design, ground contour, lack of body rigidity, and body position all "worked" together (along with other possible physical conditions of the system) to result in no injuries to Drew, thankfully.

I've no doubt that if all of the above were meticulously recorded, a capable physicist could show that the forces produced were in fact survivable, just as the experimental evidence showed.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

In 1984 I lived in Alaska. . .

It sounds like weight distribution, speed, tire size, tire pressure, tread design, ground contour, lack of body rigidity, and body position all "worked" together (along with other possible physical conditions of the system) to result in no injuries to Drew, thankfully.

I've no doubt that if all of the above were meticulously recorded, a capable physicist could show that the forces produced were in fact survivable, just as the experimental evidence showed.

My father-in-law still has that 69 buick. Would you guys be willing to lie down and let me drive over you to prove your point? ;)

steveOrino

My father-in-law still has that 69 buick. Would you guys be willing to lie down and let me drive over you to prove your point? ;)

I doubt I could fit in the clothes Drew was wearing. I suspect his young age played a role in his survival.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Certainly in the 1st century ad Christianity was not widely accpeted, it was probably a small cult, like many small cult that existed at the time.

It was about a million or so. Really interesting page HERE from Answers.Google.com.

But as you can tell from Phil's refusal to accept my wife's eye-witness testimony and physical evidence like a sleeper with tire tracts as probable explanation of something outside the normal, that any amount of evidence would not suffice.

Have you gotten the impression that the following is relevant:
"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead."

My father-in-law still has that 69 buick. Would you guys be willing to lie down and let me drive over you to prove your point?

What does this comment say. . really .. what are you saying exactly.

You should lie down and let us drive over you :) .. i mean your god should protect you and thus we would see the miracle first hand and thus we would beleive and you would have new converts into your religion and god would have new children in his heaven to serve his holieness.

But I really want to run over ya in a way that your not protected by, say, all the stuff that explains how a this could occure without someone being injured.

I know I or my children could survive anything should the protecton be provided by circumstance or or happenstance .. protection is protection ..

R U seriously asking if this account was NOT because God intervened? :S

God works in a mysterious way His wonders to perform...

So your evidence for the existence of God is (let me get this straight) fog? Fog in freakin' London!?

Yeah what a miracle 'cos that, like y'know, never used to happen ever!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

My father-in-law still has that 69 buick. Would you guys be willing to lie down and let me drive over you to prove your point?

What does this comment say. . really .. what are you saying exactly.

You should lie down and let us drive over you :) .. i mean your god should protect you and thus we would see the miracle first hand and thus we would beleive and you would have new converts into your religion and god would have new children in his heaven to serve his holieness.

But I really want to run over ya in a way that your not protected by, say, all the stuff that explains how a this could occure without someone being injured.

I know I or my children could survive anything should the protecton be provided by circumstance or or happenstance .. protection is protection ..

Uh, JC covered that in Matthew 3 Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test. ;)

steveOrino

Uh, JC covered that in Matthew 3 Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.

If your not allowed to test it - then it is sure to be a fraud.

I just cannot understand how you can wrap your mind around this ditty.. and then on top of this actually beleive it without question.

I guess I am not gonna get it at all. And don't get me wrong - I would love to beleive in such a system; but I require some sound logic before I put my trust in anything.

your a good guy - best wishes.