Andy9o8

Bush to Elderly: "Let them eat cake!"

...or maybe pie...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/politics/16628062.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp
Bush again calls for eliminating food program for needy seniors

FREDERIC J. FROMMER
Associated Press
Posted on Mon, Feb. 05, 2007

WASHINGTON - President Bush's budget proposal calls for eliminating a program that provides poor seniors with nutritious foods, marking the second year in a row that the White House has tried to move the program's recipients to food stamps.

The Commodity Supplemental Food Program provides nutritionally balanced boxes of food to about a half-million poor people per month, including 14,000 in Minnesota and 5,000 in Wisconsin. Most beneficiaries are elderly, although some women and children participate in the program.

...or maybe pie...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/politics/16628062.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp
Bush again calls for eliminating food program for needy seniors

FREDERIC J. FROMMER
Associated Press
Posted on Mon, Feb. 05, 2007

WASHINGTON - President Bush's budget proposal calls for eliminating a program that provides poor seniors with nutritious foods, marking the second year in a row that the White House has tried to move the program's recipients to food stamps.

The Commodity Supplemental Food Program provides nutritionally balanced boxes of food to about a half-million poor people per month, including 14,000 in Minnesota and 5,000 in Wisconsin. Most beneficiaries are elderly, although some women and children participate in the program.

Well, he has a war to pay for.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If we're legitimately talking about elderly here, one of the things that keeps old people in their homes (instead of expensive nursing homes) often is the boxed lunches.

As they get older, they quit driving so much and eventually sell their car. So a boxed lunch delivered is really kind of a cheap way to help keep someone at home. Because if shopping trips are less frequent, then it's easier to find someone to take you.

Note the use of the word Help. As opposed to "entirely responsible for." In this case, the program for boxed lunches might well not be a bad idea.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What this is really about is people having to do their own shopping, instead of being given prepared meals.

Oh, the horror. :o

I would think that many of these people are unable to get about and that many are overburdened with healthcare cost that has taken near everything from them. The real horror is people like yourself who would much rather kick the old and sick than to help them when they need help. The shame is that this country constantly lies about how compassionate it is and constantly looks for a way to kill off anyone who may not be able to eventually fill one of its body bags. It is a shame that this country enjoys sending food to other countries only to let the people who have paid untold amounts of tax dollars into the system starve. Those tax dollars belong to Americans and should only be used to help Americans. Those dollars do not belong to the government to do as they please.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

If we're legitimately talking about elderly here, one of the things that keeps old people in their homes (instead of expensive nursing homes) often is the boxed lunches.

As they get older, they quit driving so much and eventually sell their car. So a boxed lunch delivered is really kind of a cheap way to help keep someone at home. Because if shopping trips are less frequent, then it's easier to find someone to take you.

Note the use of the word Help. As opposed to "entirely responsible for." In this case, the program for boxed lunches might well not be a bad idea.

Wendy W.

It's just his way, Wendy. Yesterday it was depriving women of potentially life-saving vaccinations, today it's depriving the elderly of care. Maybe he's related to Margaret Thatcher.:o

What this is really about is people having to do their own shopping, instead of being given prepared meals.

Oh, the horror. :o

I would think that many of these people are unable to get about and that many are overburdened with healthcare cost that has taken near everything from them. The real horror is people like yourself who would much rather kick the old and sick than to help them when they need help. The shame is that this country constantly lies about how compassionate it is and constantly looks for a way to kill off anyone who may not be able to eventually fill one of its body bags. It is a shame that this country enjoys sending food to other countries only to let the people who have paid untold amounts of tax dollars into the system starve. Those tax dollars belong to Americans and should only be used to help Americans. Those dollars do not belong to the government to do as they please.

Nice bit of drama there. Good ploy on the "with healthcare cost that has taken near everything from them." Classic.

Do you really think food being sent abroad is such a bad thing?

Loved the personal attack, too.

I have to hand it to you... your posts are great entertainment.

Wendy W.

It's just his way, Wendy. Yesterday it was depriving women of potentially life-saving vaccinations, today it's depriving the elderly of care. Maybe he's related to Margaret Thatcher.:o

I think that the word "compassion" is amongst the many words that Bush cannot pronounce. He probably finds it much easier to avoid compassion altogether.
Neil Young

Snipe,snipe, snipe.

Shouldn't you be getting back to defending Nacy Pelosi's inane demands???

Nice bit of drama there. Good ploy on the "with healthcare cost that has taken near everything from them." Classic.

No drama, only truth.

Do you really think food being sent abroad is such a bad thing?

When there are people in THIS COUNTRY starving, then yes, it is a bad thing.

Loved the personal attack, too.

Wasn't a PA. Just stating the obvious as you are often one of the first to cheer when Americans are being denied what their tax dollars should be helping them with, food, healthcare, education...

I have to hand it to you... your posts are great entertainment.

I am happy to know that you find it amusing when I post concerning the sick, the starving, the elderly, child abuse... You should be very careful about how you feel about those who are less fortunate than yourself as you could easily find yourself in the same position someday and have to watch as all avenues of help are closed to you. I found myself in this way when I contracted AIDS. It is not so funny nor the least bit amusing. I am glad that it happened to me. I am a much better person for it.
Neil Young

It is a shame that this country enjoys sending food to other countries only to let the people who have paid untold amounts of tax dollars into the system starve.

On this I agree. But you are making some claims you cannot back. Taking them off of this program and putting them on another is not writting them off to die.

The real horror is people like yourself who would much rather kick the old and sick than to help them when they need help.

That was an attack on him. Wanting to remove a program and replace it with another is not being evil.

As for you stating that you are glad you got AIDS....I fail to see how you can see that as a good thing. But maybe you do. I think most people would see it as a bad thing.

Too bad so much of what you post is based on bogus assumptions. House of cards, baby.

Pamprin?

I can always back up what I post. Unlike you, I am not a one liner. But, wait, maybe I should be more like you and see it from your point of view! To hell with our elderly parents and any other elderly person. Hey, if they can't get up out of their beds or wheelchairs and run down to the store with food stamps inhand, to hell with them. Let them starve. Stupid old people. They are only taking up space anyways. What good are they. Once someone is to old or sick to stand on the assembly line, screw them. Worthless, they are! And this goes for all people young and old who may be sick. Let them all die. Why should tax dollars that are better spent to help people overseas be spent to help children, elderly or anyone else in the US. Damn sick people. All they ever do is take up space in the hospital. I say close all hospitals and to hell with all sick or injured people. Got a broken leg? Screw you, not my problem. What? Your child has been burned near to death? Not my problem. Your mother, wife, sister or daughter has breast cancer? Who gives a damn about her, not my problem! My tax dollars are better spent building one room schools in a war zone that will most likely be blown up. My tax dollars are better spent anywhere but in the US! Why should I care about your stupid kid? Why should I give one bit of damn at all about you or your damn family? I do not have to care if your child is suffering greatly from chemotherapy! Why should I care that your stupid kid lost all of her hair from the radiation? Ignorant brat will most likely die anyways. Better we speed up the dying process by taking away any healthcare now paid for by our taxes. Why should I care that any American is suffering? The same goes for anyone coming back from war! Why should I give a damn that half of your face was blown off? Or, your legs, or your arms, or all 4 at one time? Screw you if you didn't realize that such can happen in a war. Didn't you realize what your injuries are going to cost the taxpayer? I am now placing you in the same greedy group as the elderly, sick children, those morons with AIDS or cancer and any and all other illness. I am also starting to believe that all school lunch programs be stopped! Why should our tax dollars be used to feed someones snot nose brat when there are Iraqi kids or African kids who need our tax dollars? Let them all starve. Hell, let's end any and all social programs. No programs at all and more money for the government to pay for its pet projects and future wars. More money to spend in Iraq or anyother place other than the US. Screw all Americans who may need help! You should had realized that once the tax has been collected it now belongs to the government! Screw you and the old, sick horse you rode in on!
Ahhh, feel so much better now that I am in the group that believes that government owes nothing at all to the people who paid for it.
Neil Young

I would think that many of these people are unable to get about and that many are overburdened with healthcare cost that has taken near everything from them. The real horror is that family members used to take care of the old and sick before the government said, "We'll do it for you!" The shame is that this government lied to us so that we would leave the job of taking care of ourselves and our loved ones to them, so we quit worrying about it - only to learn 40 years later that the government is lousy at it, and for those couple of generations that trusted their government, they are now left to fend for themselves. It is a shame that the people of this country enjoyed the idea that someone else would do it, and in doing so those who have paid untold amounts of tax dollars into the system will starve because the incentive and desire to take care of themselves was taken away. Those tax dollars belonged to Americans and should only have been used to let them plan for themselves instead of controlled by the whims of others. Those dollars now belong to the government to do as they please, regardless of the commitments they made in their grand con.

Isn't it a pity that these poor people's family's don't take care of them? Maybe because they are forced to pay the government to take care of millions of others? I, for one, will not leave the care of my mother to big brother. I will take it upon myself, because if I don't do it, I know I can't trust anyone else to do it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Well, not every old person has a family, and for many of those that do, the family is thousands of miles away. Box lunches delivered to homes are an EXCELLENT idea to keep the elderly semi-independent. "Meals on Wheels" programs have also been outstandingly successful wherever they've been tried.

Got a broken leg? Screw you, not my problem. What? Your child has been burned near to death? Not my problem. Your mother, wife, sister or daughter has breast cancer? Who gives a damn about her, not my problem!

Okay, I'll put it this way. If I break my leg, shuld that be your problem? If my kid has been burned near to death, is that YOUR problem? If my wife has cancer, is that your problem?

The answer is, "Hell no." If I break my leg, that is MY problem, and I better fucking be able to handle it. Everybody else has problems of their own, and they should be taking care of their own fucking problems. Or, paying somebody to take care of their own fucking problems.

I have problems. Loads of them. It's why I have employees. Think they're gonna put up with my shit for free? Fuck, no, so I pay them handsomely knowing full well that their psychosomatic stress disorders are partially my fault. And I don't pay them so that I can put up with their shit, either - that's why i put them on health insurance. They've got doctors they can go to (I even give them paid "mental health days.")

No, my problems are my problems unless someone wants to make a buck off of me to solve it. I don't expect you to pay for my choices. Given that I don't trust another damned person on this planet to take care of, I'll take care of myself. Obviously, you are not happy with the care given to you by everyone else. Ergo, you are Exhibit fucking "A" of the reasons why I take care of my future with 17 separate insuarance policies. I pay up the ass for them, but they at least provide lubrication unlike the ass-fucking I'd take with a sandpaper condom in the event something happened that I didn't prepare for.

Yes, I can take care of myself just fine. That $3 million life insurance will take care of my family, too, because nobody else will. My health insurance will take care of me so that I am uncovered for the first $7,500 in treatment I get every year, but it's nice to know that I will be paying a fraction of a penny on the dollar for the potential 8 million dollar medical bill I could face.

Yes, I can take care of myself. And if my mom can't take care of herself, I will take care of her. And my wife. And my kids.

Because I'll take your word for it - the government sucks at taking care of us. Thank goodness I sacrificed everything in the past for security of the future.

Well, not every old person has a family, and for many of those that do, the family is thousands of miles away. Box lunches delivered to homes are an EXCELLENT idea to keep the elderly semi-independent. "Meals on Wheels" programs have also been outstandingly successful wherever they've been tried.

Yes, it's true. Many are thousands of miles away. My mom is presently 250 miles away. And if she can't take care of herself, I will go that 250 miles, help her wrap up her affairs, and bring her with me to ensure that she will be well taken care of.

Or, I will pay to ensure that she is given the best care that I can afford. We already pay my wife's mom $40k per year to watch our kids because if she was going to quit her job to do it, she was not going to sacrifice anything financially. So she makes more per hour with a greater quality of life and more leisure time. And my kids are secure. And my mom has a standing offer to help out her mom for the same pay.

If my mom was on the other side of the world, I'd get her. Sure, maybe the majority of the population would let their parents eat dogfood if it costs them a 3k mile trip. Maybe I'm just different.

And if I grow up without any family or anyone who cares for me, I will have saved enough to take care of myself or pay someone to take care of me. I pay for meals on wheels every Friday (though we call him the "pizza delivery man").

I wouldn't expect you to take care of me, John. Why would I expect 300 million of you to take care of me?

Humans evolved behaviors to take care of immediate family, then extended family, then tribe or clan, then nation. Altruism, if you will.

Somewhere in legal training it must be beaten out of attorneys.

Isn't it a pity that these poor people's family's don't take care of them?

With such a rise in cost of living, how can grown children with kids of their own pay for all the needs of their elderly parents? I am more than willing to do whatever I can for my mother but, I cannot possibly pay for needed medications when I am in need of medications myself and could never afford my own at full cost.

Maybe because they are forced to pay the government to take care of millions of others?

You are 100% right about it all being a con job. Paying into the system was suppose to be akin to paying for insurance. Now when it comes time to have to use the coverage that was promised there is a major balk from those who are not yet in need. All tax dollars from paychecks going to the Federal government should be halted. I am in favor of paying only state taxes and allowing the state to set aside a portion of all collected tax to be used for the defence of the US borders and coastlines. No other such money should be allotted to the federal government. In fact, I am in favor of abolishing the federal government and much in favor of a confederated government. I would be much better off today had I not had to pay any federal taxes.

I, for one, will not leave the care of my mother to big brother.

But, you may have to. Whether you like it or not. You cannot predict the future and what may become of you. You might have a landing incident that might leave you fully paralyzed. You might be diagnosed with cancer that takes every dime you have. You might slip on a piece of ice and, again, become paralyzed from the neck down. You might walk into a convienant store during a robbery and be shot. Anything might and can happen to any of us! What then? If you have insurance, what is the guarantee that they will carry you for life when it becomes impossible to pay the premiums? You may have to turn to big brother as your life will depend on it. Whether you wish to or not, it might be the last avenue you have.

I will take it upon myself, because if I don't do it, I know I can't trust anyone else to do it.

And, as above, you may not be able to due to an unforseen incident. Then what? Will you say anything at all about the amount of taxes that the government took? Will you say, "I paid my fair share!!! I was there for the government and now the government has turned its back on me. Come on!!! I am going to DIE without medical attention!!!" Or, will you just shrug your shoulders and say "Oh well, just can't trust Uncle Sam. My problem. Think I'll just lay down and die."
It is a shame the lies of our government to the people. It is a shame when so many believed that the tax they paid was an investment in the future. An investment in a government that will be there in time of need. That government is by the people, for the people. It is all one big lie.
Neil Young

Got a broken leg? Screw you, not my problem. What? Your child has been burned near to death? Not my problem. Your mother, wife, sister or daughter has breast cancer? Who gives a damn about her, not my problem!

Okay, I'll put it this way. If I break my leg, shuld that be your problem? If my kid has been burned near to death, is that YOUR problem? If my wife has cancer, is that your problem?

The broken leg? Alright, I'll give you that one. But cancers and a burned child is everyones responsibilty! Should we close all of the Shriner Hospitals? Should we end all charities that collects for breast cancer research? The treatment they recieve may someday be the treatment your own may recieve and or lead to better treatment. What about AIDS treatment? I am supposing that you wish to end that also? What if someday your son or daughter contracts AIDS? To hell with them right? Not your problem! What about yourself? Can you predict the future and say that it is 100% impossible that you will ever have an affair or that your wife will ever have an affair? Uncertianty puts you or yours at risk. But then it is not your problem, now is it. Don't think that you will always be set for life. Many of rich people have found themselves completely broke for one reason or another. You are far from invincable. I use to have great insurance. I had a great job. Untill my job went to Mexico. I had a great mutal fund that paid great and would had made me very rich by age 65. Untill I got sick and needed my savings to pay doctors and lawyers. You are far from safe from what ills the world. Far to many who are cozy today believe that their world can never come crashing down. I never forseen the reality that I am facing today. So when I scream about needing some of the taxes that I paid into the system, I say fuck you to those who scream back that I am a sponge. Besides it is my life that is in jeporady so, why would I give a damn about those who hate me for wishing to stay alive. I am 100% positive that there are a number of people on this board who would rather see me dead than for me to get one dollar of my tax paid for healthcare. I do not care. Give me one reason why I should care?
Neil Young

Humans evolved behaviors to take care of immediate family, then extended family, then tribe or clan, then nation. Altruism, if you will.

Somewhere in legal training it must be beaten out of attorneys.

I think some evolutionary biologists would take issue with the last few items on your list.

Altruism is only altruism if it's voluntary, forced altruism is theft. Lawrocket's altruism is simply more refined than yours, he understands that in robbing Peter to pay Paul you make it much more difficult for vast numbers of people to provide for themselves.