Zipp0

Odor Covers most of NYC

pretty decent way to test a delivery device. Just read the media reports to find out if it worked...

Absolutely. And to cover an area this large, whatever it is has to be a HUGE volume. We're talking millions of cubic meters of gas.

And nobody knows the source. Please.

Jersey smells, but New Yorkers are used to that.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Sounds like the government testing out a new product on a bunch of ginea pigs to me!!!

I dont care!! I'm TOO BUSY working 8 hours a day in a CUBICLE, WORRYING ABOUT BILLS!!! and eating contaiminated food full of pesticides at the grocery store.

But I trust the government. THey will protect me and keep me safe, even though they'll take away all my liberties, I am FINE with that!! ;p

pretty decent way to test a delivery device. Just read the media reports to find out if it worked...

Absolutely. And to cover an area this large, whatever it is has to be a HUGE volume. We're talking millions of cubic meters of gas.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, and you can bet the government is too. They're not going to make a big deal out of it, but they're looking into it, I'm sure.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, and you can bet the government is too. They're not going to make a big deal out of it, but they're looking into it, I'm sure.

Thye are smelling it 10 miles away in Newark and they don't know what it is???

How is that possible?

It has been done in the US several times. Also, in several cities, including the NY subway system, highways, bus terminals, and airports.

The case in SF was famous because the grandson of the deceased was an attorney and sued the govt for the money by his grandmother.
I watched the interview of the grandson on 60 Minutes or one of those shows.

article

SAN FRANCISCO -- Fifty-one years ago, Edward J. Nevin checked into a San Francisco hospital, complaining of chills, fever and general malaise. Three weeks later, the 75-year-old retired pipe fitter was dead, the victim of what doctors said was an infection of the bacterium Serratia marcescens.

Decades later, Mr. Nevin's family learned what they believe was the cause of the infection, linked at the time to the hospitalizations of 10 other patients. In Senate subcommittee hearings in 1977, the U.S. Army revealed that weeks before Mr. Nevin sickened and died, the Army had staged a mock biological attack on San Francisco, secretly spraying the city with Serratia and other agents thought to be harmless.

The goal: to see what might happen in a real germ-warfare attack. The experiment, which involved blasting a bacterial fog over the entire 49-square-mile city from a Navy vessel offshore, was recorded with clinical nonchalance: "It was noted that a successful BW [biological warfare] attack on this area can be launched from the sea, and that effective dosages can be produced over relatively large areas," the Army wrote in its 1951 classified report on the experiment.

In other tests in the 1950s, Army researchers dispersed Serratia on Panama City, Fla., and Key West, Fla., with no known illnesses resulting.

Another bacterium, Bacillus globigii, never shown to be harmful to people, was released in San Francisco, while still others were tested on unwitting residents in New York, Washington, D.C., and along the Pennsylvania Turnpike, among other places, according to Army reports released during the 1977 hearings.

"among other places" ???? How many places are we talking about?

In New York, military researchers in 1966 spread Bacillus subtilis variant Niger, also believed to be harmless, in the subway system by dropping lightbulbs filled with the bacteria onto tracks in stations in midtown Manhattan. The bacteria were carried for miles throughout the subway system, leading Army officials to conclude in a January 1968 report: "Similar covert attacks with a pathogenic [disease-causing] agent during peak traffic periods could be expected to expose large numbers of people to infection and subsequent illness or death."

Army officials also found widespread dispersal of bacteria in a May 1965 secret release of Bacillus globigii at Washington's National Airport and its Greyhound bus terminal, according to military reports released a few years after the Senate hearings. More than 130 passengers who had been exposed to the bacteria traveling to 39 cities in seven states in the two weeks following the mock attack.

***The Army kept the biological-warfare tests secret until word of them was leaked to the press in the 1970s. Between 1949 and 1969, when President Nixon ordered the Pentagon's biological weapons destroyed, open-air tests of biological agents were conducted 239 times, according to the Army's testimony in 1977 before the Senate's subcommittee on health. In 80 of those experiments, the Army said it used live bacteria that its researchers at the time thought were harmless, such as the Serratia that was showered on San Francisco. In the others, it used inert chemicals to simulate bacteria.

After the Army disclosed the tests nearly three decades later, Mr. Nevin's surviving family members filed suit against the federal government, alleging negligence. "My grandfather wouldn't have died except for that, and it left my grandmother to go broke trying to pay his medical bills," says Mr. Nevin's grandson, Edward J. Nevin III, a San Francisco attorney who filed the case in U.S. District Court here.

The Nevin family appealed the suit all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, which declined to overturn lower court judgments upholding the government's immunity from lawsuits.

Sounds an awful lot like "Saddam gassed his own people" eh?

I thought it was just another crackpot conspiracy theory until I saw the grandson interviewed on tv. His grandmother lost her husband and all her finances paying for his medical bills.
The govt cannot be legally held liable and they never recovered a cent.

The thing is, it wasn't an isolated incident. It happened a lot.

http://www.answers.com/topic/biological-warfare

The United States government's biological warfare facility was headquartered at Fort Detrick in Maryland beginning in 1942. Weapons were also tested and produced in Colorado, Arkansas and Utah. Many different agents were studied including the bacteria that cause anthrax, plague, botulism, Q fever, and staphylococcal infections. Several viruses were also included in the research. The U.S. Army conducted a study in 1951–1952 called "Operation Sea Spray" to study wind currents that might carry biological weapons. As part of the project design, balloons were filled with Serratia marcescens (then thought to be harmless, but easily identifiable) and exploded over San Francisco. Shortly thereafter, there was a corresponding dramatic increase in reported pneumonia and urinary tract infections in the region.

There were also several test that got away from them in the 1950's and 1960's where cattle and sheep died

Thye are smelling it 10 miles away in Newark and they don't know what it is???

How is that possible?

No idea, but I sure hope the smell is gone by the time I fly into Newark this Thursday. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Sounds an awful lot like "Saddam gassed his own people" eh?

The US govt. also exposed a lot of people, both in the services, and civilians in Utah and Nevada, to radiation. And, of course, there was the infamous Tuskeegee experiment.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If it smells like rotten eggs, is there any chance that someone spilled some mercaptan? It's the additive they put in natural gas to give it its smell, and we can detect it at extremely low concentrations.

It comes in barrels, and I imagine that if someone dropped a barrel and it split open, that you could smell it for a looooong ways.

I also imagine that if anyone in the vicinity of the spill got it on them, they would REALLY wish they hadn't. B|

http://www.columbiagaspamd.com/community_outreach/mercaptan.htm

What really had me wondering was how everyone could smell it, despite the rain.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

And I always thought our nostrils faced downwards to avoid that problem.;)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The fact that they still have no idea (officially) what this was tells me that there is something we are not being told.

The fact that they still have no idea (officially) what this was tells me that there is something we are not being told.

Not hard to believe that it could be a government experiment given the history of the government using the population and military personnel as guinea pigs without their knowledge.

http://www.lucentsucks.com/Government-Experiment.html
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young