moodyskydiver

FINALLY!

Cardiac arrest happens every day. More people die of cardiac arrest than any other cause (including, surprise, being a victim of crime). Do you carry a portable defibrillator with you?

Facetious argument.

I did get certified in Red Cross CPR...and I'd bet you are, too.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I agree with your position. While I always maintain awareness to avoid walking in to a bad situation and will always try to get myself out of trouble in the least violent manner, I realise that this alone does not guarantee that I could never be in such a situation. Despite the fact that I am not a small guy I would not want to have my physical strength and hand to hand fighting ability to be my last resort.

I do not think that this is only an issue of not being robbed, it is one of preserving life. I would be inclined to hand over my cash in the event of a mugging since I will not risk my life for money or property, but it seems today that many thugs will still do you harm just for amusement even if you cooperate. If the guy is some idiot "gangsta" who is likely to maim or kill me anyway just to show his buddies how bad he is I would not want to be limitted to begging on my knees for the mercy that he is not going to show me (I would not be opposed to begging if I was sure it would work but I doubt it would with many of these guys).

With respect to the deterence aspect of Concealed Carry I realise that both side of the debate have stats that "prove" they are right, so I will not go there. However, my entire life I have observed the obvious fact that most thugs are cowards and when faced with the possibility of a fair fight most (although not all) will smarten up in a real hurry. Hence based on the presumption of rational choice (and even criminals are rational) many thugs will be detered by the possibility of thier own demise. Either way I am not impressed with the Canadian approach of limitting citizens to screaming into thier cell-phone at a 911 recording, so I would prefer to allow citizens the option of carrying the means to protect themselves.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Cardiac arrest happens every day. More people die of cardiac arrest than any other cause (including, surprise, being a victim of crime). Do you carry a portable defibrillator with you?

Facetious argument.

I did get certified in Red Cross CPR...and I'd bet you are, too.

So manual CPR is as good as a defib' machine?:S

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

YOU may wish to be at the complete mercy of an armed attacker...some of us value ourselves and our families more highly.

It's so rare to come under unprovoked armed attack I won't ever worry about this.
Your arguments basis comes across as being based on fear and paranoia.
Relax!:)
Shall I then walk about outdoors with a helmet continually on?
The number of injuries/deaths caused by bangs to the head during day to day life far out-number the injuries/deaths caused by firearms in the UK.

Still, America may be different because of all the gun-nuts and the availability of firearms.

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

It's so rare to come under unprovoked armed attack I won't ever worry about this.

I'm sure that's quite a comfort for the families of the 5 girls killed last month.

The number of injuries/deaths caused by bangs to the head during day to day life far out-number the injuries/deaths caused by firearms in the UK.

If it makes you feel better, go for it.

Still, America may be different because of all the gun-nuts and the availability of firearms.

Funny thing about that... my guns STILL haven't jumped up and shot anyone all by themselves... imagine that?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Wow! No way man! :D

In regards to the 5 unfortunate ladies you mention - I'm not in the habit of getting into strangers cars alone at night - so it doesn't really come into the argument does it?

Helmets making me feel better? Go for it?

Nah, I'll take my chances. In fact, when I walk down to the pub tonight it probably won't even occur to me to put on my pro-tec as I put my jacket on.

Wonder why?

I'm sure that's quite a comfort for the families of the 5 girls killed last month.

If it makes you feel better, go for it.

Funny thing about that... my guns STILL haven't jumped up and shot anyone all by themselves... imagine that?

Someone wins the lottery every month too, but I don't buy tickets.

Lots of more serious risks out there than being harmed by a villain.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Lots of more serious risks out there than being harmed by a villain.

Irony score - through the roof.

Aren't you the one that keeps bringing up America's murder rate every time there's a thread about guncontrol or crime?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Facetious argument.

You don't believe it when Douva and JohnRich tell us it's all about "being prepared". The thing MOST likely to kill you (and me) is cardiac arrest.

Maybe I should also carry a syringe of clot dissolver too, in case I have a stroke (also way more likely than being attacked by a villain).

Facetious argument.

You don't believe it when Douva and JohnRich tell us it's all about "being prepared". The thing MOST likely to kill you (and me) is cardiac arrest.

Maybe I should also carry a syringe of clot dissolver too, in case I have a stroke (also way more likely than being attacked by a villain).

Show me the heart attacks that are prevented by having a shock pack on hand, then.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Facetious argument.

Show me the heart attacks that are prevented by having a shock pack on hand, then.

Deaths are prevented.

You said

The thing MOST likely to kill you (and me) is cardiac arrest.

So, as not to change the subject... show me the cardiac arrests prevented by the availability of portable defibs, and the strokes prevented by availability of syringes of warfarin, since you decided to add that in.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You said

So, as not to change the subject... show me the cardiac arrests prevented by the availability of portable defibs, and the strokes prevented by availability of syringes of warfarin, since you decided to add that in.

How is having a concealed gun going to prevent someone coming up behind you and stabbing you in the back?

How is having a concealed gun going to prevent someone coming up behind you and stabbing you in the back?

It's not - how do you explain the decline in violent crime in EVERY state that has passed a concealed carry law, compared to the violent crime rate prior to the concealed carry law?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It's not - how do you explain the decline in violent crime in EVERY state that has passed a concealed carry law, compared to the violent crime rate prior to the concealed carry law?

You should take a more careful look at the FBI statistics.

can you give me some reasons to carry a concealed handgun?

The NRA's "Armed Citizen" files:
http://www.nraila.org/ArmedCitizen/Default.aspx

The KABR's "Operation Self Defense" files:
http://www.keepandbeararms.com/opsd/

Violence happens every day, and can happen to anyone, anywhere, no matter how careful you may be.

Going armed to be prepared for violence, is no different than having a fire extinguisher in your house in case of a fire, wearing your seat belt in case of an auto accident, or taking out life insurance to care for your family in case of your premature death.

If you wish to go through life unprepared, then I wish you good luck.

Come to think of it, since you aren't interested in the ultimate tool for saving yourself from a violent attack, that life insurance might be a good idea for you.

I work out four to five days a week, for an hour to ninety minutes each day, so I feel that I'm going to MUCH greater lengths to avoid a heart attack than I am to defend myself against violent crime. And if portable defibrillators got a little more affordable, I might consider keeping one in the back of my car, next to the jumper cables. It would be kind of a notch up from taking a CPR class.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Come to think of it, since you aren't interested in the ultimate tool for saving yourself from a violent attack, that life insurance might be a good idea for you.

I sometimes wonder over your sanity John. I may not always carry, what's in your eyes, the ultimate tool to prevent violent attacks. But I have lots of other tools and methods.

Do you carry a gun to the beach? When you go for a swim? When you're parachuting? You can't always carry - so how on earth can you justify the risk of being unarmed John!!:o

As you said; 'Violence happens every day, and can happen to anyone, anywhere, no matter how careful you may be.'

So explain yourself.

And all the very best of luck!:)

The rational man knows he cannot be prepared for every conceivable threat at every given moment. Instead, he does his best to balance preparedness with prudence. I don't carry a gun at the lake or in the gym or while I skydive, and that's not something I lose a lot of sleep over because I accept that there is risk in life. The mentality that we can be so prepared that we should never suffer any hardship, danger, or violence is a fool's dream. As we must all do in every aspect of life, the wise armed citizen seeks BALANCE in his actions, and he does so by tempering those actions with a little common sense. As I said in a previous post, carrying a concealed handgun is seldom much of a hassle, so I have no problem doing so. When it becomes a considerable hassle, I don't carry it, unless of course I think I might be at greater risk of needing it (i.e., When I used to go to the gym at two o'clock in the morning, I'd take the gun and then lock it in my locker).

The notion that an object designed for personal protection is worthless unless you can carry it at all times is a myth perpetuated by the anti-preparedness crowd--that subset of our society who fears any suggestion that survival is something for which we must sometimes work. For them, mortgage payments, relationship problems, deadlines at work, and everything else that makes up the usual "grind" is more than enough to worry about for one lifetime, so they hide behind the delusion that survival in the twenty-first century is out of our hand and, therefore, not worthy of our mental energy.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Your first paragraph is reasonable enough - you secure your fears and paranoia by carrying a gun when your psyche deems it suitable.

Guns were designed to kill and empower. Neither has it been called worthless.

Everything else you wrote comes across as bollocks really. But each to their own, eh? :)

I don't have any statistics to back this up, but I would venture to guess that if gun crimes in America were limited to only those committed by NRA members (the epitome of "gun nuts"), we'd have less gun crimes than Great Britain. The problem is not the "gun nuts;" the problem is the criminals. People who rob convenience stores and perform drive-by shootings and shoot up high schools seldom have time to attend rallies or write congressmen, and most of them aren't big on paying membership dues. I'm not worried about the "gun nut" with twenty guns; I'm worried about the criminal with one gun.

can you give me some reasons to carry a concealed handgun?

The NRA's "Armed Citizen" files:
http://www.nraila.org/ArmedCitizen/Default.aspx

The KABR's "Operation Self Defense" files:
http://www.keepandbeararms.com/opsd/

Violence happens every day, and can happen to anyone, anywhere, no matter how careful you may be.

Going armed to be prepared for violence, is no different than having a fire extinguisher in your house in case of a fire, wearing your seat belt in case of an auto accident, or taking out life insurance to care for your family in case of your premature death.

If you wish to go through life unprepared, then I wish you good luck.

I work out four to five days a week, for an hour to ninety minutes each day, so I feel that I'm going to MUCH greater lengths to avoid a heart attack than I am to defend myself against violent crime. And if portable defibrillators got a little more affordable, I might consider keeping one in the back of my car, next to the jumper cables. It would be kind of a notch up from taking a CPR class.

Coathangers cause a lot of injuries, gotta be careful of them.
Don't forget the tinfoil beanie, either.

Me - I'm afraid of canopy collisions. Really.:)

Tinfoil beanie! :D

Anyway, some people like carrying guns. It gives them security, a bit like a childs comfort blanket.

Going by statistics, your more likely to injured or killed in general day to day life from a head injury than an armed attacker. So all the armed civilians cutting about their daily lives - have you got your helmets on? :S

Well, why not?

So

You said

Warfarin is a brand of coumadin and is not available in injectable form ...only pills. In addition, it does not disolve clots, it helps prevent the formation of clots. Useful as a preventative for heart attacks, strokes and pulmonary emboli in those with conditions likely to promote clots, it's also quite high on the list of medications responsible for hospitalization and death due to coumadin toxicity. It's therapeutic level is very close to it's toxic level. Thus, coumadin, does, indeed help prevent tens of thousands of non-hemorrhagic strokes, and cardiac arrests caused by an MI (heart attack). Interestingly, it is a primary cause of many hemorragic strokes.

What John is referring to is a class of drugs in injectible form (TPA, Alteplase, etc) that dissolve clots after they have formed. In the case of a clot causing an MI, these drugs have prevented many thousands of people from progressing to cardiac arrest and have reversed many thousands of non-hemmorhagic strokes.

Can defibrillators prevent cardiac arrest? Absolutely! They are used every day in syncronized cardioversion to stop very rapid heart beats (rapid atrial fibrillation, supraventricular tachycardia, ventricular tachycardia) which, if not promptly treated with drugs or cardioversion, will likely lead to cardiac arrest.

So, basically, what we have in the disagreement between John and you is the difference between a good formal education and a google search. :)
Having said that, I have a Florida CCW and more often than not, am packing when I go out. :)
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".