warpedskydiver

Man Recalls Rescue on NYC Subway Tracks

Man Recalls Rescue on NYC Subway Tracks
Thursday, January 4, 2007 4:15 AM EST
The Associated Press
By DEEPTI HAJELA

Listen to Audio
NEW YORK (AP) — It took only an instant for Wesley Autrey to decide to jump into a subway track to rescue a stranger from an oncoming train.

In hindsight, even he is somewhat startled by his dramatic decision, Autrey said Wednesday. But knowing he narrowly escaped injury or possibly death, the 50-year-old Harlem construction worker doesn't regret his choice.

"I did something to save someone's life," he said.

The father of three has found himself the object of public attention since Tuesday, when he saved a young man who had fallen onto the subway tracks by pushing him into a gap between the rails.

Autrey planned to make the rounds of the morning television shows on Thursday, tape an appearance on David Letterman's CBS "Late Show" and visit City Hall to be honored by Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Meanwhile, Autrey said the impact of the risky rescue was sinking in.

"It's all hitting me now," Autrey said. "I'm looking, and these trains are coming in now. ... Wow, you did something pretty stupid."

While waiting for a downtown Manhattan train, Autrey saw Cameron Hollopeter, a 19-year-old film student, suffering from some kind of medical episode. After stumbling down the platform, Hollopeter, of Littleton, Mass., fell onto the tracks with a train on its way into the station.

Autrey, traveling with his two young daughters, knew he had to do something.

"If I let him stay there by himself, he's going to be dismembered," the Navy veteran remembered thinking.

He jumped down to the tracks, a few feet below platform level, and rolled with the young man into a drainage trough — cold, wet and more than a little unpleasant smelling — between the rails as the southbound No. 1 train came into the 137th Street/City College station.

The train's operator saw someone on the tracks and put the emergency brakes on. Some train cars passed over Autrey and Hollopeter with only a couple of inches to spare, but neither man suffered any harm from the incident.

Hollopeter was taken to a nearby hospital; Autrey refused medical attention — and then went to work.

Autrey went by the hospital Wednesday afternoon for a visit with Hollopeter and his family. Afterward, he and Hollopeter's father addressed reporters.

"Mr. Autrey's instinctive and unselfish act saved our son's life," said Larry Hollopeter, his voice choking up.

Following the incident, calls came in from all over the country, offering rewards, as people found themselves inspired by Autrey's bravery. His mother beamed over him.

I have no idea.

It's a damn good thing they both didn't wind up as meat chunks on the rails:|

Now THAT is a hero in my eyes:)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

not sure why its in SC, as I can't imagine someone arguing against saving a life... but lets see someone try

If the hero sustained any serious injuries as a result of this, you can bet that the MTA probably would argue the point.

It's a damn good thing they both didn't wind up as meat chunks on the rails

Not just that, all it takes is a simple trip off one of the tracks, hit the 3rd rail and he would have been toast.

Now THAT is a hero in my eyes

I don't know how old his two daughters were but to leave them unattended to save another person's life shows how altruistic he was at the time. Child molesters are a dime a dozen in NYC. All they need is a quick minute or two to snatch your kids from under your nose.

He's a good guy, if only we had 7 million more people like him in NYC. You don't know how many people I've seen walk over other people who fall on the ground, bleeding and unconcious in NYC.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

I don't know how old his two daughters were but to leave them unattended to save another person's life shows how altruistic he was

Leaving the daughters unattended like that is what struck me most in the story. I'd not claim it indicates altruism without noting the poor side of it, also, in regards to the welfare of his family.

The most difficult hypothetical scenarios in my imagination are almost exactly this story. Sacrificing my life for a stranger is an easy choice really, but sacrificing my life and my daughter's future (not even her life, just the sake of her having a dad and a future that I help provide) for a stranger is a completely different thing.

The only reason this isn't a multiple tragedy and we aren't calling him a fool for killing himself is luck that he pulled it off.

If he had no kids depending on him and did this, I'd jump on the "hero" bandwagon, too. In this case, I'll assume this is just a really decent guy that reacts fast without thinking. As he said of himself.

So calling the act unselfish seems odd, as I can also rationalize "not" jumping as unselfish even more considering his girls.

Even so, still with admiration.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Child molesters are a dime a dozen in NYC. All they need is a quick minute or two to snatch your kids from under your nose.

Source?
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Child molesters are a dime a dozen in NYC. All they need is a quick minute or two to snatch your kids from under your nose.

Source?

You're trying to get him to substantiate the price estimate? How many are you planning to buy? ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Source?

uhhhhhh sez me. I'm a NYC cop.

Implicit in your statement is that you have accessed abduction data and formed your statement based on the numbers. Is that true?
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

Leaving the daughters unattended like that is what struck me most in the story. I'd not claim it indicates altruism without noting the poor side of it, also, in regards to the welfare of his family.

I guess he reacted without taking the time to really think about it.

The most difficult hypothetical scenarios in my imagination are almost exactly this story. Sacrificing my life for a stranger is an easy choice really, but sacrificing my life and my daughter's future (not even her life, just the sake of her having a dad and a future that I help provide) for a stranger is a completely different thing.

Well, I don't think he had time to think about all that. He made a snap decision. He saw somenoe who was on the tracks and he knew if he didn't react, the guy on the tracks would have died. Maybe for that one instant, all he could think about was that someone was going to die and he was capable of saving them by reacting quick enough to do something about it. Who knows?

The only reason this isn't a multiple tragedy and we aren't calling him a fool for killing himself is luck that he pulled it off.

I don't believe in luck. It was timing. Had he showed up a minute later, that guy on the tracks would have been rat food.

If he had no kids depending on him and did this, I'd jump on the "hero" bandwagon, too. In this case, I'll assume this is just a really decent guy that reacts fast without thinking. As he said of himself.

You have to take into consideration that this took place in NYC. Most NY'ers would just walk away and keep going where they have to go. Others would just stand there and watch to see what happens. This guy stood out from the crowd and saved a life. That's it in a nutshell but what stands out is that he left his two daughters unattended. We still don't know how old his two daughters were but for now I guess we're assuming they were probably youngins.

So calling the act unselfish seems odd, as I can also rationalize "not" jumping as unselfish even more considering his girls.

I see your point. I guess maybe he should have thought about his family first. At least nothing happened to his daughters, thank goodness.

Implicit in your statement is that you have accessed abduction data and formed your statement based on the numbers. Is that true?

Right on the money!B| Seriously, our NYPD Compstat unit is involved with crime statistics. They monitor crime patterns, develop crime tracking methods and what not. Bro, I just hang out in front of the local donut eatery.[:/] I sit back, relax with my donut and coffee and watch the greatest show on earth!:o Seriously, I don't even eat donuts and I don't even drink coffee. I prefer beer and pretzels while I'm on duty. :ph34r:

I simply stated:

I may have exaggerated on the quick minute or two but kids are snatched right from under their parents' nose a lot of times and yes it does happen regularly and no, a lot of these abductions do not make it to the paper often times.

I don't care how selfish or whatever, anyone thinks the act of that man might be, he made a split second decision that saved a man's life. When you get right down to the nut-cuttin', the man is a hero! He made a split-second decision and performed an un-selfish act, putting his own life in danger. As for his daughters, I would well imagine, everyone's attention was on the two men lying between the subway rails and paid no attention to his daughters or any other kid who was present. The man did something very damned few of us would do in this day and time. To knit-pick over this and that in this incident is un-believable!

Chuck

here is the video. ( its been edited to look like a suicide)

http://break.com/index/failed_attempt_at_suicide1.html

Holy crap. The jumper jumped right onto the tracks! The man didn't jump into the tracks to save him. He helped him out from in between the cars with another man's help. Both men helped him by pulling him up into the platform but the hero dragged him further into the platform. Wow!

Right on the money!B| Seriously, our NYPD Compstat unit is involved with crime statistics. They monitor crime patterns, develop crime tracking methods and what not. Bro, I just hang out in front of the local donut eatery.[:/] I sit back, relax with my donut and coffee and watch the greatest show on earth!:o Seriously, I don't even eat donuts and I don't even drink coffee. I prefer beer and pretzels while I'm on duty. :ph34r:

I simply stated:

I may have exaggerated on the quick minute or two but kids are snatched right from under their parents' nose a lot of times and yes it does happen regularly and no, a lot of these abductions do not make it to the paper often times.

That doesn't quite answer my question about what you do.

Aren't something like 84% of all child abductions a non-custodial parent or relative?
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

here is the video. ( its been edited to look like a suicide)

http://break.com/index/failed_attempt_at_suicide1.html

While waiting for a downtown Manhattan train, Autrey saw Cameron Hollopeter, a 19-year-old film student, suffering from some kind of medical episode. After stumbling down the platform, Hollopeter, of Littleton, Mass., fell onto the tracks with a train on its way into the station.

Autrey, traveling with his two young daughters, knew he had to do something.

"If I let him stay there by himself, he's going to be dismembered," the Navy veteran remembered thinking.

He jumped down to the tracks, a few feet below platform level, and rolled with the young man into a drainage trough — cold, wet and more than a little unpleasant smelling — between the rails as the southbound No. 1 train came into the 137th Street/City College station.

The train's operator saw someone on the tracks and put the emergency brakes on. Some train cars passed over Autrey and Hollopeter with only a couple of inches to spare, but neither man suffered any harm from the incident.

Whats portrayed in the vid and described in the article are completely different.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Aren't something like 84% of all child abductions a non-custodial parent or relative?

How would that contradict the statement "Child molesters are a dime a dozen in NYC. All they need is a quick minute or two to snatch your kids from under your nose"?

The statements aren't mutually exclusive.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I simply stated:

Can you tell me how many children are abducted by strangers in New York City each year? New York is a large metropolitan city, so its numbers may be a little higher than the national average, but according to the statistics I've seen, a child in America is roughly as likely to be abducted by a stranger as the average American is to be struck by lightning.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

That doesn't quite answer my question about what you do.

Maam, I was only busting Douva's chops when he asked me where I got my source of information from.

I don't have an exact percentage for you. Only the Compstat unit and PDU have that information you're looking for.

I told someone else here, I just eat donuts. It doesn't take half a brain to eat donuts so my 1/4 brain mind can't answer that question for you.

Can you tell me how many children are abducted by strangers in New York City each year?

I honestly cannot give you a rough number bro. Sorry, I'm only a donut eating street/foot patrol cop.

New York is a large metropolitan city, so its numbers may be a little higher than the national average,

This is true but abductions are only recorded as so if the child is seen/witnessed being involuntarily taken in public view. Until that is proven child abductions not seen in public view are considered missing persons only. What's more, in very low income neighborhoods, the missing isn't even newsworthy. However, if children under 15 and senior citizens over 65 are reported missing the NYPD has a Task Force Unit which classifies the aforementioned missing people as a level two/orange mobilization. This seals off, I think, about a 1 mile radius or so but don't quote me on that.