dbattman

So much for Spain's cease-fire

Wow...Islamic extremists failing to keep their word. Who wudda thunk!!:S:S

Traditionally Basques have been mostly Roman Catholics. In the nineteenth century and well into the twentieth, Basques as a group remained notably devout and churchgoing. In recent years church attendance has fallen off, as in most of Western Europe. The region has been a source of missionaries like Francis Xavier and Michel Garicoïts. Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus, was a Basque.

A sprout of Protestantism in the continental Basque Country produced the first translation of the new Testament into Basque by Joannes Leyçarraga. After the king of Navarre converted to Catholicism to be king of France, Protestantism almost disappeared.

Bayonne held a Jewish community composed mainly of Sephardi Jews fleeing from the Spanish and Portuguese Inquisitions. There were also important Jewish and Muslim communities in Navarre before the Castilian invasion of 1512-21.

Nowadays only slightly more than 50% of Basques show some kind of belief in God, while the rest are either agnostic or atheist. The number of religious skeptics increases noticeably for the younger generations, while the older ones are more religious.

What was that you said?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

LMFAO:D:D:D

Clearly some people really have bought in on the whole 'All terrorists are Muslims' idea:D:D:D

BTW Spain is in Europe and no thats nowhere near Australia:D:D:D

Here made it easy for you, just point at a country and it tells you what it is

http://www.yourchildlearns.com/europe_map.htm

:D:D:D:D:D:D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

It surely helps if you follow the link and read the article, or at the very least the highlights.

I must admit, I'm a little curious as an outsider looking in. Franco's regime has been gone a long time. Why does this continue?

gee it must have been this that caused me to err in my thinking.

Saturday's explosion, which came shortly after the execution of Saddam Hussein in Iraq, raised fears of a retaliatory strike in a country that has suffered attacks in response to its support for international military operations.

In March 2004, 191 people were killed by bomb attacks on Madrid commuter trains. Those attacks, blamed on al-Qaeda-linked militants, led to Spain's withdrawal of troops from Iraq.

-

LOL:D:D Nice try, that was burried at the bottom of the article and claerly points out the dates of those attacks. Its Ok to admit that you thought that ETA was some branch of Al Q. :D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Spain is in Europe

Are you kidding me?

Now I aint no jografee xpert, but we all know Spain is one of dem meskin states.

It’s down between Mexico and Puerta Sometinorother.

Spanish and Mexico?!?!?!

Heelllooooo?????????

LOL:D:D Nice try, that was burried at the bottom of the article and claerly points out the dates of those attacks. Its Ok to admit that you thought that ETA was some branch of Al Q. :D

ETA is linked to AQ. The train bombings were done by ETA. Only mistake I made was saying ETA were "Islamic" extremists instead of linked to Islamic extremists. The fact they demanded Spain withdraw troops from Iraq is plenty of evidence.

Would you like me to slit my wrists now or later?:P

-

-

Please, do it right now before you post another one like the one you just posted...

ETA is linked to AQ. The train bombings were done by ETA

ETA is not linked to AQ other than both are terrorists groups, and the train bombings were not done by ETA, they were done by AQ. And claiming otherwise was what costed Aznar the Re-election.

LMFAO:D:D:D

Clearly some people really have bought in on the whole 'All terrorists are Muslims' idea:D:D:D

BTW Spain is in Europe and no thats nowhere near Australia:D:D:D

Here made it easy for you, just point at a country and it tells you what it is

http://www.yourchildlearns.com/europe_map.htm

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm wondering about "Moldova."

When those people were sitting around trying to come up with a name for their country, what were the other choices??:S:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

It surely helps if you follow the link and read the article, or at the very least the highlights.

I must admit, I'm a little curious as an outsider looking in. Franco's regime has been gone a long time. Why does this continue?

To oversimplify it, basically it's because the Basque separatists want an independent nation-state (kinda sorta think loose parallels to the Kurds), and the Spaniards aren't willing to give them their independence. The change of regime in Spain 30 yrs ago hasn't changed that much.

It's a good thing Spain pulled out of Iraq after the train bombings, I mean Who knows what Spain will have to endure next!

Lets see..... There going to get you if you remain in the war, or there going to get you if you pull out of the war....... Seems hands down to me..... There going to get you!

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

In Franco´s time, all Spain was opressed (all Spain that did not support Franco) and Pais Vasco was even more opressed if possible due to their diferences. They were not allowed to speak their language or express their culture. ETA was more than a terrorist group an insurgent group for their target was mainly Franco´s supporter. Very few supported ETA because of the collateral damage to innocent people but they were seen in a diferent light for their goals were seen as somewhat fair.

Now it all has changed, they can speak whatever they want, express their culture however they want and the old ETA members are no longer with eta (too old, dead or retired)

The new ETA (Since Franco´s death) has changed their goals and has lost support from almost everybody. It is wrong to say that they want independence because it is not what they want. What they want is what they call "Derecho a la autodeterminacion". Basicly it means to be able to decide wether they want to be independent or not. But they don´t want to be independent because they cannot afford it.

It is similar what is happening in Cataluña, they want all the benefits of belonging to a country without taking part in the expenses. That and more power for the regional leaders. However Pais Vasco resorts to terrorism because Pais Vasco does not have the political strength due to demographics that Cataluña has.

Go figure how ridiculous their claims are that not only they want the "so called independence" but also they want that "independence" for Navarra who mostly don´t want anything to do with Pais Vasque and a part of south France because they consider that historically all that was Pais Vasco. (Like Spain can grant them a part of France)

The reason why Spain doesn´t give them the "Derecho a la autodeterminacion" even if they wouldn´t want the independence is because maybe they wouldn´t get it now, but who nows in the future and because the richer parts of spain would want the same and then no one would pay taxes to help the development of the poorer parts of Spain.

ETA is linked to AQ. The train bombings were done by ETA. Only mistake I made was saying ETA were "Islamic" extremists instead of linked to Islamic extremists. The fact they demanded Spain withdraw troops from Iraq is plenty of evidence.

-

You really belive that don't you?
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Yusuf Galan - ETA member charged in November 2001 for having ties to AQ. ETA has also sold explosives to Hamas and other terrorists. Italian and French media reported meetings between ETA and AQ on several occasions between 2000 and 2003.

Now, I'm not saying that there is a definite tie between them...but it does bear looking into.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

-

You really belive that don't you?

I did not remember correctly. ETA did not do the train bombings. They were done by AQ. The FBI and CIA have both said there is an alliance between ETA and AQ going back to at least 1993.

I can't get back into the site right now but here is an article written for City FM (Spanish Radio News Channel)

ETA provided false identifications to the Islamic terrorists that attacked the World Trade Center in 1993

Madrid. Javier Oyarzábal (Information Services of CITY FM) – Eusebio Arzalluz aka “Paticorto”, a member of today’s Executive Committee of ETA and one of the most trusted men by ETA leader “Txeroki” [pronounced Cherokee], provided false documents to the Islamic Terrorists that attacked the World Trade Center in 1993.

On May 23rd of that year, a series of explosions shook a workshop for vehicle reparation in the Santa Rosa quarter, next to Managua [Nicaragua]. The outcome was: three people dead and 16 neighbouring houses destroyed. Under the debris, hidden in a underground room perfectly prepared, it appeared a huge arsenal of weapons and many compromising documents, among them, a detailed file with data to kidnap and obtain a ramson of a great number of Latin American millionaires. It also was discovered hundreds of passports from 23 different nationalities, and blank identity documents, from Nicaragua and other countries.

What had went off was a real weapon supermarket set up by ETA members, and the forged documents found were to be used by terrorist groups or insurgents of the region, occasionally under control of the Cuban secret services and protected by the Sandinistas during the period they ruled Nicaragua (1979-1990).

In the arsenal it was found 19 surface-to-air missiles and hundreds of AK-47, RPG launchers, machine guns… and a big amount of C-4, the terrorist organizations’ favourite explosive.

The first attack against the World Trade Center, in New York, took place on February 26th, 1993. A bomb went off in the parking leaving seven people dead and more than 1000 wounded. The investigation points out that the alleged main accused, Ramzi Youssef, has direct contact with Osama Bin Laden and receives founding from Al Qaeda. In possession of the detainees for this first attack against the Towers of the World Trade Centre, that same day February 26th, 1993; there are found five Nicaraguan passports and the corresponding birth certificates and driving licenses.

One of the forged passports had the picture of El Sayid Nosair, terrorist arrested in the U.S on charges of having provided the weapons to kill the rabbi Mahir Kahane. In April, a Nicaraguan tribunal sentenced six emigration civil servants for fraudulently stamp the passports found among the possessions of the terrorists of New York. In addition, it was stated that the numbers of those passports were correlative to the ones discovered after the Santa Rosa explosion.

Another data to take into account is that the workshop for repairing cars was a propriety of a Spanish citizen known as Miguel Larios-Moreno, to whom the Sandinista government has granted the Nicaraguan citizenship in 1982, after evaluating a forged Ecuatorian passport. That person that disappeared after the explosion was no other but Eusebio Arzalluz, aka “Paticorto”.

After his escape, he stayed in Cuba. He joined the active members of the terrorist group ETA in 1998, supporting “Txapote” [an ETA leader] party against a cease fire that was promoted by “Mikel Antza” [another ETA leader]. From that moment on, he began to contact members of the Algerian Islamist Group GIA. Between the end of 2002 and the beginning of the year 2003, he returned to Cuba, and remained there until the end of 2004, when today’s ETA military commander [the head of the operative cells] Garikoitz Aspiazu “Txeroki”, recalled him to make him a member of his command.

There are also probable links between Jose Luis Gonzales, a former ETA member, currently in prison for the 3/11 bombings, who joined the Abu Dada Islamic terror cell in Spain led by Barak Yarkas who has ties to Bin Laden.

So, yes there is no direct evidence I can find linking ETA to the 3/11 Train bombings. But to claim there's no link between AQ and ETA is a bit.....naive, don't you think?

-