quade

What the Hell Happened to Christianity?

I understand the differences between those. I was raised Hindu, although I stopped believing in that when I was 16. I since studied Buddhism and Taoism, and about Zeus, well, I know he carried a lightning bolt and liked women. While I am by no means a scholar, I do know the difference between the different philosophies.

And to me, that's really all religion is: a philosophy, a general guideline on how to live life honestly, morally, and spiritually pure. And for what I've learned, Taoism comes the closest to a pure guideline as it foregos all of the mythical aspects of religions and delves on the internal spirituality and the goodness of oneself. However, I do believe that in the times that most religions were founded there were many questions that could not be answered (ie: how we got here) which they had to answer in order to appease the public. Furthermore, most people respond better to stories than orders, and hence teachings in the form of parables are far more effective. And therefore the reason of "history" infused into moral teachings.

Personally, I don't think it matters what religion or belief system one uses, as long as what results is right.

However, from reading this thread as well as many other threads, we seem to be told that disbelief or nonacceptance of the Christian God (or any god) is grounds for eternal damnation, whatever that damnation is. I would like to know, from the people that state this, why someone who is devout in his religion and set of morals and has committed no wrong would be damned for not believing in the Christian God?

I understand that not every Christian, and not even most Christians, believes in this. To be fair, I also believe, from those I have spoken with, that most preachers, ministers (or whatever the name is) are sane and understanding of different belief systems.

My question is not poised for them. My question is poised for those that keep saying that disbelief in the Christian God is grounds for damnation.
This ad space for sale.

I understand the differences between those. I was raised Hindu, although I stopped believing in that when I was 16. I since studied Buddhism and Taoism, and about Zeus, well, I know he carried a lightning bolt and liked women. While I am by no means a scholar, I do know the difference between the different philosophies.

And to me, that's really all religion is: a philosophy, a general guideline on how to live life honestly, morally, and spiritually pure. And for what I've learned, Taoism comes the closest to a pure guideline as it foregos all of the mythical aspects of religions and delves on the internal spirituality and the goodness of oneself. However, I do believe that in the times that most religions were founded there were many questions that could not be answered (ie: how we got here) which they had to answer in order to appease the public. Furthermore, most people respond better to stories than orders, and hence teachings in the form of parables are far more effective. And therefore the reason of "history" infused into moral teachings.

Personally, I don't think it matters what religion or belief system one uses, as long as what results is right.

However, from reading this thread as well as many other threads, we seem to be told that disbelief or nonacceptance of the Christian God (or any god) is grounds for eternal damnation, whatever that damnation is. I would like to know, from the people that state this, why someone who is devout in his religion and set of morals and has committed no wrong would be damned for not believing in the Christian God?

I understand that not every Christian, and not even most Christians, believes in this. To be fair, I also believe, from those I have spoken with, that most preachers, ministers (or whatever the name is) are sane and understanding of different belief systems.

My question is not poised for them. My question is poised for those that keep saying that disbelief in the Christian God is grounds for damnation.

I believe God is fair and will judge every person accordingly - Luckily i don't have to worry about that.. it is will be personal thing for every person who will stand before God when that time comes.
What a day that will be ! :o:)B|
If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

And to me, that's really all religion is: a philosophy, a general guideline on how to live life honestly, morally, and spiritually pure. And for what I've learned, Taoism comes the closest to a pure guideline as it foregos all of the mythical aspects of religions and delves on the internal spirituality and the goodness of oneself.

I agree. Taoism has the least extra baggage to cloud the philosophy.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I believe God is fair and will judge every person accordingly - Luckily i don't have to worry about that.. it is will be personal thing for every person who will stand before God when that time comes.

Sure sounds like you've been taking lessons from a Pharisee.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Prof, you had better stick to physics, you obviously don't know much about the pharisee sect. They hardly believed it was a "personal" thing when it came to judgment.

steveOrino

Prof, you had better stick to physics, you obviously don't know much about the pharisee sect. They hardly believed it was a "personal" thing when it came to judgment.

I was referring to the self-righteous "I'm OK, sucks to be you" aspect.

I was referring to the self-righteous "I'm OK, sucks to be you" aspect.

If a person claiming to be a Christian has the attitude you just described, he/she had better re-examine themselves to make sure they're in the faith.

"Have you no wish for others to be saved? Then you are not saved yourself. Be sure of that."
--Charles Spurgeon

Although, I'm fairly certain that's not what skysaintj meant by his statement. It sounds like He's just secure in the fact that his name is written in the book of life because he has partaken of the free gift of forgiveness. Now, instead of all the evidence of an entire sinful life being presented when he has to stand before the Judge, all God will see is the righteousness of his son Jesus.

It wouldn't matter if every Christian was a total doormat, we'd still hear the same BS from unbelievers.

....I'm almost certain I've never berated anybody for their religion if that person left me alone.

I mean, think about it. How many religions are there in this world? If the people practicing those religions keep to themselves and don't bother anybody, do you really have a compelling reason to give them crap?

Seriously, I don't give a crap if the guy next door is a full on Satan worshiper if he keeps it to himself.

Why should you?

Amen.. i've NEVER gone out of my way to start ANY Religious discussion with a Christian..(i have with many other Religions.. the ones that dont push, but instead wait for the soul to seek) but i'm always ready to counter any of their drivel when they come to my door...

if you keep your religion to yourself you NEVER have to worry about be challenged on it after all, it really only matters to YOU and GOD.

You seem to be ignoring what's outside your window.

Sorry. I guess I don't use the word evidence as lightly as you do. I see no evidence of a divine creation.

Paj makes up his own definitions for such discussions.. it would help if he put them in his Sig so everyone was aware he wasnt using them in their commonly accepted forms..

you know

Proof
Evidence
Reality

Amen.. i've NEVER gone out of my way to start ANY Religious discussion with a Christian..(i have with many other Religions.. the ones that dont push, but instead wait for the soul to seek) but i'm always ready to counter any of their drivel when they come to my door...

if you keep your religion to yourself you NEVER have to worry about be challenged on it after all, it really only matters to YOU and GOD.

The following is part of an e-mail conversation between Ray Comfort (Christian Evangelist) and James David Franz (Atheist) which was later compiled into a book called “Intelligent Design vs. Evolution.” At the time the following quote was written, James Franz didn’t know exactly what Ray Comfort did for a living. The response by James Franz is very insightful.

“You are really convinced that you’ve got all the answers. You’ve really got yourself tricked into believing that you’re 100% right. Well, let me tell you just one thing. Do you consider yourself to be compassionate of other humans? If you’re right, as you say you are, and you believe that, then how can you sleep at night? When you speak with me, you are speaking with someone who you believe is walking directly into eternal damnation, into an endless onslaught of horrendous pain which your “loving” god created, yet you stand by and do nothing. If you believed one bit that thousands every day were falling into an eternal and unchangeable fate, you should be running the streets mad with rage at their blindness. That’s equivalent to standing on a street corner and watching every person that passes you walk blindly directly into the path of a bus and die, yet you stand idly by and do nothing. You’re just twiddling your thumbs, happy in the knowledge that some day that “walk” signal will shine your way across the road. Think about it, Ray. Imagine the horrors hell must have in store if the bible is true. You’re just going to allow that to happen and not care about saving anyone but yourself? If you’re right, then you’re an uncaring, unemotional and purely selfish [expletive] that has no right to talk about subjects such as love and caring.”
-- James David Franz (Atheist)

James, you’re right. Absolutely right. If it is true that God is a God of Justice and that He will punish all sin, every Christian should be doing what you say. You are right – we shouldn’t sleep at night. Actually, I don’t. I get up most nights around midnight to pray for people like you. Have done so for 14 years. I am horrified at even one person going to Hell. I do “run around the streets mad with rage at their blindness,” but if I betray how concerned I am for people, I would probably be locked up in an insane asylum. I take a team to Santa Monica every Friday night and preach in the open air until I’m exhausted, speaking to people like you … *I have a license to do so. I go out every Tuesday and Friday and plead with people to consider the claims of the Gospel. So I’m not twiddling my thumbs, and I’m not happy. You see, I don’t “believe” there is a Hell. I know so. Remember that.
-- Ray Comfort (Christian Evangelist)

your personal convictions of your BELIEFS do not justify you interfering in my life.

I suppose that the many who is completely convinced you will DIE if you get in your car this morning is justified in stealing your, keys, car. Abducting you etc... all to save you from his BELIEF?

your (borrowed as usual) argument is meaningless.. you KNOW NONE of what you BELIEVE, you simply think you do, and somehow that jusifies you annoying (to the point of "repent or death" in previous generations) everyone else with your BELIEF..

you(Xtains) are mistaken. completely. when you can PROVE what you BELIEVE you might have an argument...

I've found that religion and belief is a very tricky subject. Those that claim to believe in God or follow a religion, do not usually practice the beliefs of that religion. The real truth of it all is that you may find one in ten thousand that take their beliefs seriously, do not press them others, do and not commit crime and hate in shadows. They attend church, but go home and beat their wives or just treat others poorly. This is one reason I don't consider myself a Christian anymore after "being" one for 24 years.

I don't consider myself Christian, Atheist, Agnostic, Buddhist or any named belief or non-belief. I will just believe what I want to believe and keep it to myself. If God exists, what I feel is between him and I only.

I can't see a time that the world will ever wake up. That we will ever stop spreading hate. Stop pushing other beliefs on others, not socializing with other people because of the color of their skin or because of how much they weigh. I firmly believe in everyone being equal and being judged only by whether or not they can respect theirs and others lives and not judge them for such meaningless things. That is my belief, and I'm sticking with it instead of with any set of beliefs or laws that others have decided are "right" and claim to follow, but do not.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

The following is part of an e-mail conversation between Ray Comfort (Christian Evangelist) and James David Franz (Atheist) which was later compiled into a book called “Intelligent Design vs. Evolution.” At the time the following quote was written, James Franz didn’t know exactly what Ray Comfort did for a living. The response by James Franz is very insightful.

What was Franz responding to?

having spent a small amount of time looking through the WOTM website my opinion is this; Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron are both deceitful, misleading, arrogant tossers! The over simplified, twisted, pop science they argue against as to "prove" creationism. The semantic arguments and scare tactics they use in their witnessing - I just cannot express how distasteful I find them.

I just hope that this current craze for fundamentalist religion we're seeing in various parts of the world is just the last rage against the dying of the light and that soon everyone will be talking sense again!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I just hope that this current craze for fundamentalist religion we're seeing in various parts of the world is just the last rage against the dying of the light and that soon everyone will be talking sense again!

If you mean by fundamentalist that I believe the Word of God over the word of man, then I think that all who claim the title of Christian should be a fundamentalist. I mean...really. Why call yourself a Christian at all if you don't buy into the fundamentals what the religion teaches? You can't pick what you like and discard what you don't. If you do that, you're trying to make God conform to you. That won't happen. If you're referring to me as a fundamentalist, then I am proud to be one. I'll wear it on my t-shirt. God doesn't change. We, on the other hand, either do or do not. Your decision or indecision has consequences.

If you mean by fundamentalist that I believe the Word of God over the word of man, then I think that all who claim the title of Christian should be a fundamentalist. I mean...really. Why call yourself a Christian at all if you don't buy into the fundamentals what the religion teaches? You can't pick what you like and discard what you don't. If you do that, you're trying to make God conform to you. That won't happen. If you're referring to me as a fundamentalist, then I am proud to be one. I'll wear it on my t-shirt. God doesn't change. We, on the other hand, either do or do not. Your decision or indecision has consequences.

Firstly, you don't believe the word of God over men, you believe the word of primitive men over modern men.

You're a fundamentalist because you passionately believe in the specific details of myths which have long since been shown to be ludicrous. Creation, Noahs Ark, the plagues of Egypt, the parting of the Red Sea, the Resurrection, the idea that you can only get the magical reward by believing your own specific type of propoganda and that everyone else is an unforgiven heinous sinner blaspheming against the nature of God.

That is what I dearly hope we are leaving behind.

Edit: Why did I even bother writing that, you're just going to look at each of my points and you won't even be able to see why I think there's a problem!

THOMAS JEFFERSON-Christianity is the MOST PERVERTED system that ever shone upon man.

THOMAS PAINE-The christian religion and Masonry have one and the same origin: both are rerived from worship of the Sun. The difference between their origin is that the christian religion is a parody on the worship of the Sun, in which they put a man whom they call Christ, in the place of the Sun, and pay the same adoration that was originally paid to the Sun, as I have shown in the chapter on the origin of the christian religion
we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively

wishers never choose, choosers never wish

Physical death is only the beginning of a whole new phase of life. Biology has no way of investigating that aspect of it, obviously.

Based on the teaching of Christ, I believe that every person who ever lived will be resurrected in the future. Not for a second chance at anything, but in order to account for their lives in front of the judge.

Here are some examples of that teaching. There are more, but I have a hard time narrowing them down. :S

•Mark 8:31
[ Jesus Predicts His Death ] He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again.

•John 11:23-25 Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."
Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day." Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies.

•Matthew 27:53
They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

•Luke 14:11-14 "For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
Then Jesus said to his host, "When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid.
But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."
There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day.

•Acts 1:21-23
21 Therefore it is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 22 beginning from John's baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection."
23 So they proposed two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias.

•Acts 17:32
When they heard about the resurrection of the dead, some of them sneered, but others said, "We want to hear you again on this subject."

•Acts 24:15
and I have the same hope in God as these men, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.

•Romans 2:1-5 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. Now we know that God's judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment? Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance? But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed.

•2 Corinthians 5:10
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

•Hebrews 9:26-28 Then Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But now he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself. Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

Here are some examples of that teaching. There are more, but I have a hard time narrowing them down. :S

I'm usually not the one to say something like this, and no disrespect to those who believe anything whatsoever. I just don't believe that we can use words in a book as any sort of proof or basis for believing whether there is a God anymore. A book can say anything. Not saying I'm some scientologist or whatever or anything, but I dont know.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Based on the teaching of Christ, I believe that every person who ever lived will be resurrected in the future. Not for a second chance at anything, but in order to account for their lives in front of the judge.

Here are some examples of that teaching. There are more, but I have a hard time narrowing them down.

Well allow me to retort. Books XI - XII.

"And the goddess answered, 'Ulysses, noble son of Laertes, you shall
none of you stay here any longer if you do not want to, but there is
another journey which you have got to take before you can sail
homewards. You must go to the house of Hades and of dread Proserpine
to consult the ghost of the blind Theban prophet Teiresias whose
reason is still unshaken. To him alone has Proserpine left his
understanding even in death, but the other ghosts flit about
aimlessly.'
"I was dismayed when I heard this. I sat up in bed and wept, and
would gladly have lived no longer to see the light of the sun, but
presently when I was tired of weeping and tossing myself about, I
said, 'And who shall guide me upon this voyage- for the house of Hades
is a port that no ship can reach.'
"'You will want no guide,' she answered; 'raise you mast, set your
white sails, sit quite still, and the North Wind will blow you there
of itself. When your ship has traversed the waters of Oceanus, you
will reach the fertile shore of Proserpine's country with its groves
of tall poplars and willows that shed their fruit untimely; here beach
your ship upon the shore of Oceanus, and go straight on to the dark
abode of Hades. You will find it near the place where the rivers
Pyriphlegethon and Cocytus (which is a branch of the river Styx)
flow into Acheron, and you will see a rock near it, just where the two
roaring rivers run into one another.
"'When you have reached this spot, as I now tell you, dig a trench a
cubit or so in length, breadth, and depth, and pour into it as a
drink-offering to all the dead, first, honey mixed with milk, then
wine, and in the third place water-sprinkling white barley meal over
the whole. Moreover you must offer many prayers to the poor feeble
ghosts, and promise them that when you get back to Ithaca you will
sacrifice a barren heifer to them, the best you have, and will load
the pyre with good things. More particularly you must promise that
Teiresias shall have a black sheep all to himself, the finest in all
your flocks.
"'When you shall have thus besought the ghosts with your prayers,
offer them a ram and a black ewe, bending their heads towards
Erebus; but yourself turn away from them as though you would make
towards the river. On this, many dead men's ghosts will come to you,
and you must tell your men to skin the two sheep that you have just
killed, and offer them as a burnt sacrifice with prayers to Hades
and to Proserpine. Then draw your sword and sit there, so as to
prevent any other poor ghost from coming near the split blood before
Teiresias shall have answered your questions. The seer will
presently come to you, and will tell you about your voyage- what
stages you are to make, and how you are to sail the see so as to reach
your home.'
"It was day-break by the time she had done speaking, so she
dressed me in my shirt and cloak. As for herself she threw a beautiful
light gossamer fabric over her shoulders, fastening it with a golden
girdle round her waist, and she covered her head with a mantle. Then I
went about among the men everywhere all over the house, and spoke
kindly to each of them man by man: 'You must not lie sleeping here any
longer,' said I to them, 'we must be going, for Circe has told me
all about it.' And this they did as I bade them.
"Even so, however, I did not get them away without misadventure.
We had with us a certain youth named Elpenor, not very remarkable
for sense or courage, who had got drunk and was lying on the house-top
away from the rest of the men, to sleep off his liquor in the cool.
When he heard the noise of the men bustling about, he jumped up on a
sudden and forgot all about coming down by the main staircase, so he
tumbled right off the roof and broke his neck, and his soul went
down to the house of Hades.
"When I had got the men together I said to them, 'You think you
are about to start home again, but Circe has explained to me that
instead of this, we have got to go to the house of Hades and
Proserpine to consult the ghost of the Theban prophet Teiresias.'
"The men were broken-hearted as they heard me, and threw
themselves on the ground groaning and tearing their hair, but they did
not mend matters by crying. When we reached the sea shore, weeping and
lamenting our fate, Circe brought the ram and the ewe, and we made
them fast hard by the ship. She passed through the midst of us without
our knowing it, for who can see the comings and goings of a god, if
the god does not wish to be seen?

THEN, when we had got down to the sea shore we drew our ship into
the water and got her mast and sails into her; we also put the sheep
on board and took our places, weeping and in great distress of mind.
Circe, that great and cunning goddess, sent us a fair wind that blew
dead aft and stayed steadily with us keeping our sails all the time
well filled; so we did whatever wanted doing to the ship's gear and
let her go as the wind and helmsman headed her. All day long her sails
were full as she held her course over the sea, but when the sun went
down and darkness was over all the earth, we got into the deep
waters of the river Oceanus, where lie the land and city of the
Cimmerians who live enshrouded in mist and darkness which the rays
of the sun never pierce neither at his rising nor as he goes down
again out of the heavens, but the poor wretches live in one long
melancholy night. When we got there we beached the ship, took the
sheep out of her, and went along by the waters of Oceanus till we came
to the place of which Circe had told us.
"Here Perimedes and Eurylochus held the victims, while I drew my
sword and dug the trench a cubit each way. I made a drink-offering
to all the dead, first with honey and milk, then with wine, and
thirdly with water, and I sprinkled white barley meal over the
whole, praying earnestly to the poor feckless ghosts, and promising
them that when I got back to Ithaca I would sacrifice a barren
heifer for them, the best I had, and would load the pyre with good
things. I also particularly promised that Teiresias should have a
black sheep to himself, the best in all my flocks. When I had prayed
sufficiently to the dead, I cut the throats of the two sheep and let
the blood run into the trench, whereon the ghosts came trooping up
from Erebus- brides, young bachelors, old men worn out with toil,
maids who had been crossed in love, and brave men who had been
killed in battle, with their armour still smirched with blood; they
came from every quarter and flitted round the trench with a strange
kind of screaming sound that made me turn pale with fear. When I saw
them coming I told the men to be quick and flay the carcasses of the
two dead sheep and make burnt offerings of them, and at the same
time to repeat prayers to Hades and to Proserpine; but I sat where I
was with my sword drawn and would not let the poor feckless ghosts
come near the blood till Teiresias should have answered my questions.

I'm usually not the one to say something like this, and no disrespect to those who believe anything whatsoever. I just don't believe that we can use words in a book as any sort of proof or basis for believing whether there is a God anymore. A book can say anything. Not saying I'm some scientologist or whatever or anything, but I dont know.

Very true, there are many well written books out there with many less contradictions than the bible, yet they are not true. Take Stephen King or Dean Koontz for example. They have written enough books to fill 50 bibles, yet that does not mean cars come alive or ghosts exist. Quoting a book that has no scientific merit, but was rather picked chapter by chapter by a bunch of romans 1700 years ago really has no merit.
We die only once, but for such a very long time.

I'll believe in ghosts when I catch one in my teeth.

Here are some examples of that teaching. There are more, but I have a hard time narrowing them down.

Well allow me to retort. Books XI - XII.

"And the goddess answered, 'Ulysses, noble son of Laertes, you shall

Wow, that book is around 2,800 years old. Definitive PROOF that Hades, Proserpine and Circe exist. But what about Zeus? Where's your proof of Zeus?