jraf

Your take on call center outsourcing

You've not known many Indians, I take it?

Yes he has and yes he does and yes he's worked with many and I don't know why he would even say that except to be inflammatory because he's irritated with outsourcing. Lover, stop stirring the pot or I'll have you deported back to your homeland.;):P

I need to put a few things straight:

1. A jagdesh is a term like towelhead or goock or any other derogatory term...so yes it probably is offensive (I hope)

2. When I say that Indians have no competency I wish to address the example of HP. If you call their support center in India you will receive absolutely no support and they have no idea whatsoever what they are doing and that pertains both to HP equipment as well as call senter services.

3. I have worked with many competent indians. As a matter of fact I have some indian friends. Let me tell you that an american education does wonders. The indian on the other hand, to use the words of the estemed Borat...'not so much'!

4. I am generally against intercontinental outsourcing. Mexico is much closer to us, wages are low and there are plenty of equally competent people there.

5. I have not been affected by outsourcing, but that is because I am a fucking genious and should be a general!
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

I am going to try and stay off the soapbox on this...

Readers digest version. I lost my job twice so the company could outsource and save money.

I have had to deal with both personally and professionally outsourced call centers from the technical end. IT SUCKS ASS!!!!!!!! >:(

I watched a t.v. program (true story) about a man who was in your position. He lost a jobe to East Indian out-sourcing. Soooo, he packed-up and went to India and got a job there... out-sourcing! He lived with an Indian family and the program showed all the ins and outs. Fairly interesting. They said, it was one of the best paying jobs in India.

Chuck

5. I have not been affected by outsourcing, but that is because I am a fucking genious and should be a general!

Does the Pentagon need any more help fucking up, then?

(You're not a spelling genius, though).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

2. When I say that Indians have no competency I wish to address the example of HP. If you call their support center in India you will receive absolutely no support and they have no idea whatsoever what they are doing and that pertains both to HP equipment as well as call senter services.

I reckon this is HP's responsability to train them adequately. Without proper training, regardless whether one is Indian, Buryat or Washington DCian, chances are you will get the same results.

Let me tell you that an american education does wonders.

How's that working for you?:P

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I cancelled Earthlink DSL for the same reason.
Haven't had to call Verizon support yet. Hope they speak English.

I dumped my Earthlink Satellite system primarily because the American guys and girls did not know their jobs.I finally just gave up. I did have an interesting conversation with an Indian guy over Mig15's and F86 fighters, and he was in India. I'm still pissed at Earthlink period.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

(2) As far as a lot of companies are concerned, their bottom line shows that outsourceing does (currently) work, if only from a financial standpoint...

US call center employee - $10/hr + benefits.
Indian call center - $1.85/hr.

Pay scale all the way through is 1/6th.

The companies realize that if you are pissed off, you will:
a- Give up on calling customer service.
b- Eventually figure it out.
c- Change companies.

Since the customer bill may only be $50 a month, the loss of 500 customers is peanuts compared to the million or so that they save. Therefore, they don't actually care.

I have worked for most of the Telecoms. Most of the telcomms and most banks are over there now.

And regardless of some smarmy PR piece in a magazine, they don't care about customer service.

Bingo. Its the same in the UK. Companies unfortunately cannot afford NOT to outsource, the financial difference is that big. To give a hint, the cost of a single call centre operative in the UK is several times their salary, due to NI, buildings, training, overheads, lighting, pensions etc etc etc.
If there are a few points lost on customer satisfaction - no-one really gives a shit because the shareholders are happy.
Sad, but thats the way it is
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Companies unfortunately cannot afford NOT to outsource, the financial difference is that big. To give a hint, the cost of a single call centre operative in the UK is several times their salary, due to NI, buildings, training, overheads, lighting, pensions etc etc etc.

I dislike outsourcing and scripted, foreign call centers, too. But this factor (the huge cost differential to a for-profit corporation with shareholders) is real. CNN's Lou Dobbs, who's made outsourcing his personal cause celebre, gives little acknowledgement to this; he just waxes indignant. What does he expect, government to legislate restrictions on outsourcing? That's hardly in the spirit of a free-market economy, and hardly competitive with foreign companies. If that happens, watch how fast US corps move their company HQ's offshore.

It's easy to support the free-market economy when it's in your favour.

Not only Free-Market economy. That applies to lots of regimes and economical systems. Soviet Union in the 20's and on, South Africa circa pre-1990's (for a white man), cultural revolution in China (if on the right side of "culture"), nazi Germany, 1st Empire in France, etc... People on the right side of "equality" tend to enjoy it.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

That's hardly in the spirit of a free-market economy, and hardly competitive with foreign companies. If that happens, watch how fast US corps move their company HQ's offshore.

At Verizon, first they brought in offshore contractors (OC). The contractors didn't know anything. They claimed to, but the project lead was an OC and covered it. The employees trained them. This included the high-dollar products that companies were dying to have.

Next, they started replacing employees with the OCs.
Then, they moved the jobs to Verizon India.
After the last pension-buyout, they moved 200 jobs there, no replacements of US employees in the US.

This was the beauty part. Someone announced that all the managers who had been moving jobs there... were not needed. Turns out that there are managers there also.

"B-b-b-but wait! We just outsourced the workers, not us!"
"Sorry about your luck. Here's your knife back."

That's hardly in the spirit of a free-market economy, and hardly competitive with foreign companies. If that happens, watch how fast US corps move their company HQ's offshore.

At Verizon, first they brought in offshore contractors (OC). The contractors didn't know anything. They claimed to, but the project lead was an OC and covered it. The employees trained them. This included the high-dollar products that companies were dying to have.

Next, they started replacing employees with the OCs.
Then, they moved the jobs to Verizon India.
After the last pension-buyout, they moved 200 jobs there, no replacements of US employees in the US.

This was the beauty part. Someone announced that all the managers who had been moving jobs there... were not needed. Turns out that there are managers there also.

"B-b-b-but wait! We just outsourced the workers, not us!"
"Sorry about your luck. Here's your knife back."

Ingersoll Rand did just this. Offshore corporate office in the Bahamas = saves them millions in not having to pay U.S. taxes on their profits. Next they moved the majority of the plant operations in the U.S. of Hussmann Refrigeration to Mexico after they brought the new workers up from Mexico for training in the U.S. plants. It really sucked having to train the people who are going to take your high paying Union job to a plant that will pay them the lowest possible wage. I purposely gave as much wrong information as I could about how to operate the Robotic welder. I should had stayed on the railroad instead of going to the plant (I wanted to be at home more). They can't move an entire rail system to another country. Next time you're at the gocery store you can scowl at the merchandizer that you take the refrigerated food from as it was most likely made in Mexico or China>:( by low wage workers. I worked at Hussmann from late 84 after leaving Ca. untill mid 87 to take a railroad job. Went back to the plant in Dec. of 95. Thought I made a great move:S>:(. My mistake.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I should had stayed on the railroad instead of going to the plant (I wanted to be at home more). They can't move an entire rail system to another country.

That is a mistaken belief. They may not replace the railroads, but they can replace the staff.

They have railroads in other countries. At any moment, they can bring those workers in.
There is no industry that cannot be outsourced. After a phone call, workers can come from any country and replace in-country workers.

The only exception is Washington. They make themselves exempt by saying that the jobs there are "too sensitive" to be outsource. That way, they guarantee the support of corporations (donors) that do business with the Fed govt.