ExAFO

Iranian Air "Safety"

What the fuck is going on there?

Jan. 21, 1980 - Iran Air Boeing 727 flying from Mashhad to Tehran crashes in fog, killing all 128 on board.

Nov. 3, 1986 - An Iranian Hercules C-130 army transport plane crashes into a mountain while trying to land at Zahedan airport, killing all 103 on board.

July 3, 1988 - An Iran Air A-300 Airbus is shot down over the Gulf by the U.S. warship Vincennes, which wrongly identifies it as an attacking fighter. All 290 people on board are killed.

Feb. 8, 1993 - An Iranian airliner chartered by Iran Air Tours crashes after colliding with a military Sukhoi plane, killing all 132 on board. The pilot and co-pilot of the military plane are also killed.

March 17, 1994 - A C-130 Hercules transport plane carrying Iranian women and children home for the Muslim New Year crashes in the disputed Caucasus enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh, killing 19 passengers and 13 crew.

Oct. 12 - An Aseman Airline Fokker F-28 crashes on an internal Iranian flight from Isfahan to Tehran, killing all 66 aboard. It crashes near Natanz, 150 miles (240 km) south of Tehran.

March 14, 1997 - An Iranian military plane with about 80 people on board crashes in a mountainous region in northeastern Iran, killing all passengers and crew.

Feb. 2, 2000 - An Iranian Air Force C-130 runs out of control while taking off at Tehran airport and crashes into an empty Iran Air A300. Both aircraft are destroyed and all six aboard the C-130 are killed.

May 17, 2001 - A Russian Yak-40 plane carrying 29 people, including Iran's Transport Minister Rahman Dadman and other deputy ministers crashes in northern Iran killing all on board.

Feb. 12, 2002 - An Iran Air Tours Tupolev-154 crashes near the western city of Khorramabad. All 119 people aboard are killed.

Dec. 23 - A Ukrainian Antonov An-140 plane crashed into a mountain in central Iran, killing all 46 aboard. Most of the passengers were top Ukrainian and Russian aerospace officials who were travelling to Iran to test fly an Iranian-built copy of the plane. The crash was blamed on pilot error.

Feb. 19, 2003 - An Iranian Ilyushin-76 troop carrier crashes in southeastern Iran killing all 276 Revolutionary Guard soldiers and crew aboard.

Feb. 10, 2004 - A Kish airlines Fokker-50 plane crashes during landing in Sharjah airport in the United Arab Emirates killing 43 of the 45 passengers and crew aboard.

Dec. 6, 2005 - An Iranian Air Force C-130 aircraft with 94 people on board crashes into a 10-storey apartment block in the Shahrak-e Towhid area of Tehran, killing all on board and at least 22 people on the ground.

Jan. 9, 2006 - An Iranian military plane crashes in northwest Iran, killing at least 11 people on board, including several Revolutionary Guard commanders.

Sept. 1 - A passenger plane catches fire on landing at an airport in the northeastern city of Mashhad, killing 28 people.

Nov. 27 - A Russian-designed Antonov-74 military aircraft crashes shortly after take-off from a Tehran airport, killing at least 36 people on board.

http://today.reuters.com/News/CrisesArticle.aspx?storyId=BLA729421
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

This is one of the side effects of embargos. With the US and other countries applying pressure to end Iran's nuke program they have stopped the shippment of replacement parts for the maintence of most the aircraft. That means Iran airplanes either get black market parts or they operate way over their intended life span for a given part. Eventually the hope is either they quit flying the planes since they are too dangrous or they decide they need the planes and quit the nuke program to get the parts for their planes.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

July 3, 1988 - An Iran Air A-300 Airbus is shot down over the Gulf by the U.S. warship Vincennes, which wrongly identifies it as an attacking fighter. All 290 people on board are killed.

This can not be an example of poor Iranian flight safety,I think.

IIRC, the jetliner's IFF transponder allegedly fucked up, squawking a .mil code. The AEGIS system responded correspondingly...

IIRC, the jetliner's IFF transponder allegedly fucked up, squawking a .mil code. The AEGIS system responded correspondingly...

Negative: The report by Admiral William Fogarty, entitled Formal Investigation into the Circumstances Surrounding the Downing of Iran Air Flight 655 on 3 July 1988 concluded, "The data from USS Vincennes tapes, information from USS Sides and reliable intelligence information, corroborate the fact that [Iran Air Flight 655] was on a normal commercial air flight plan profile, in the assigned airway, squawking Mode III 6760, on a continuous ascent in altitude from takeoff at Bandar Abbas to shoot-down."

Captain David Carlson, commander of the USS Sides, the warship stationed near to the Vincennes at the time of the incident, is reported (Fisk, 2005) to have said that the destruction of the aircraft "marked the horrifying climax to Captain Rogers' aggressiveness, first seen four weeks ago". His comment referred to incidents on June 2, when Rogers had sailed the Vincennes too close to an Iranian frigate undertaking a lawful search of a bulk carrier, launched a helicopter within 2-3 miles (3.2-4.8 km) of an Iranian small craft despite rules of engagement requiring a four-mile (6.4 km) separation, and opened fire on a number of small Iranian military boats. Of those incidents, Carlson commented, "Why do you want an Aegis cruiser out there shooting up boats? It wasn't a smart thing to do." At the time of Rogers' announcement to higher command that he was going to shoot down the plane, Carlson is reported (Fisk, 2005) to have been thunderstruck: "I said to folks around me, 'Why, what the hell is he doing?' I went through the drill again. F-14. He's climbing. By now this damn thing is at 7,000 feet." However, Carlson thought the Vincennes might have more information, and was unaware that Rogers had been wrongly informed that the plane was diving. According to the BBC documentary of 2002, Carlson identified IR655 as a civilian craft based on its radar signature, its 'squawk' (IFF) code, and the fact that it was ascending at low speed - an attacking military aircraft would be descending towards the Vincennes at high speed. At first Carlson thought that the 'Iranian Tomcat' identified by the Vincennes was actually another craft that he could not identify, as it was surprising to Carlson that the Vincennes crew would mistake a Tomcat (with which one would expect the US Navy to be familiar) with a civilian aircraft. The Vincennes' warnings were on a military channel, addressed to 'Iranian Tomcat'. When Carlson concluded that the Vincennes was referring to IR655 in its warning to turn away or receive fire, he urgently warned IR655 on a civilian freqency that it was in danger, having been mistaken for a military craft and should turn away. IR655 immediately complied and changed course onto a trajectory away from the Vincennes. The Vincennes fired regardless. Carlson expressed the view that the incident was a mistake brought about by an overly aggressive approach by the captain of the Vincennes.

Three years after the incident, Admiral William J. Crowe admitted on ABC's Nightline that the Vincennes was inside Iranian territorial waters when it launched the missiles. This contradicted earlier Navy claims.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Meh. and they got us back with Pan Am 103.

That was Libya, not Iran. Libya is as far from Iran as the USA is from Equador or Lockerbie is from Newfoundland. Not that facts should influence anyone's opinions.

That was Libya, not Iran. Libya is as far from Iran as the USA is from Equador or Lockerbie is from Newfoundland. Not that facts should influence anyone's opinions.

Far geographically? Yes. Politically? No.

Aren't they both brown people? so whats your point?:P:P:P
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

that's an excellent point, much like taking the action of a New Yorker and saying the entire US is like that - which never happens in these forums.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Aren't they both brown people? :P:P:P

Obviously, the things they have in common ends with skin color. :S

Aren't they both brown people Muslims? so whats your point?:P:P:P

Fixed it for you. I don't see Religiously oriented/motivated terrorists of other faiths downing airliners.

So, All Libians and Iranians are Muslim now?
Seems that hole is getting deeper:P

From my World Almanac:
Libya is 97% Sunni Muslim.
Iran is 95% Shia Muslim.
It would seem that you dug your own hole, and then while down there, put your foot in your mouth, by attacking someone without bothering to first check the facts.

I love irony.

Volga-AviaExpress Flight 1303 and Siberia Airlines Flight 1047 were downed by white christian women.

Those women were stooges for An Islamic Terrorist warlord.

EDIT: I also see nothing about being White and Christian...

...In the statement, Basayev said brigades of the group Riyadus-Salikhin, which he heads, carried out the Beslan attack, as well as bomb attacks that downed two passenger planes and attacks in Moscow....
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200409/s1201684.htm

Aren't they both brown people Muslims? so whats your point?:P:P:P

Fixed it for you. I don't see Religiously oriented/motivated terrorists of other faiths downing airliners.

Oh let me get this straight. We have a president who tells us GOD wanted him to go in to Iraq. Who believes God wants him to do the things he has done, and the thing he has done has resulted in 30K+ dead of just inocent bystanders. You don’t see anyone else killing because of religion but muslims? Time to take the filters of your eyes.

So, All Libians and Iranians are Muslim now?

Seems that hole is getting deeper:P

The hole is so deep that last night on 96.9 Right wing radio I heard Jay Severn Who admittedly voted for Bush twice, and used to support the war declare that we should Impeach bush.

I have heard a huge difference in the tone of right wing radio. I don’t know what happened? Maybe they started reading, or using some of their brains. Maybe it has finally gotten so bad that even the most blinded are forced to see. Who knows!

But I find it sad that it takes some people thousands of dead to realize what many of us knew before the first shots were fired.

Same thing here. You have peopled who don’t have a clue about anything that are always looking to generalize just so they can be right even when they’re wrong.

Now it’s Iran. In the dim mind of the paranoid there is always people out there trying to kill us for no reason other then that we are free. If only they could put away there false pride and recognize why in many casses we are rightfully hated not for our freedom but are actions, and then maybe just maybe change our ways.

Oh let me get this straight. We have a president who tells us GOD wanted him to go in to Iraq. Who believes God wants him to do the things he has done, and the thing he has done has resulted in 30K+ dead of just inocent bystanders.

When did he tell us what you claim?

Oh let me get this straight. We have a president who tells us GOD wanted him to go in to Iraq. Who believes God wants him to do the things he has done, and the thing he has done has resulted in 30K+ dead of just inocent bystanders.

When did he tell us what you claim?

www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,,1586986,00.html

Not sure the source is impeccable, though.