rocketdog

Should 9/11/01 be a national holiday?

A national day of mourning, yes.
A national day of relaxing at the beach, no.

I agree. Unfortunately if it becomes a national holiday (ie statuatory holiday) it will regrettably end up being a day at the beach. I hope that a dignified way of remembering can be allowed without it becoming simply another union perk.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

very simple..

on any day you are not at work, you can honor any cause, in any manner you wish...

if you are at work your employers demands override your desires..

Freedom is a lovely thing, well worth defending and celebrating..

I'll wager those who say dont need 'another day off' probably arent working very hard when they are there....

I'll wager those who say dont need 'another day off' probably arent working very hard when they are there....

I was not trying to attack people for wanting to have some time off as I place a high premium on having enough time to spend with family/freinds. Sorry if it came across that way. I simply hope that this does not become another McHoliday like so many others.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

You'd lose, Zen my friend. I said "don't need another day off" and I bust ass when at work or at school.

I don't think there needs to be a holiday on 9/11 for many reasons; 1: I can remember it just fine on my own, 2: the nation can remember just fine on it's own, and 3: I think lots of people don't remember what the holidays are really about...not holidays, but days of remembrance. Labor Day is the one day which celebrates the worker. The rest are for significant events in our history, or to commemorate those who gave their lives for this country.

Yes, this is a capitalist society. Yes, there will always be people who will attend the sales, go to the beach, and party hard on those days. However, I venture to say some people don't even know what the holidays are for (except Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years). That lack of knowledge is what's sad...not the sales or those buying things at the sales.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

So what uf no one recalls (the way others 'expect' them to) and/or celebrates their continued life and liberty in a manner not personally fitting for you? Why not another day to do so?? I'd say those who 'expect' someone else to act in the manner 'they' feel is appropriate to the occasion are missing the point entirely...

I'll gladly take more 'officially recognized' days off.

Days I decide my schedule and activities for any reason, ANY reason, whatsoever... if i dont like the 'cause' i can (and do) ignore it completely, (witness MLK Day aka Robert E. Lee's Bday, to be perfectly honest.. who the hell cares which one you personally cite as a reason for Celebration/Memorial).

What a holiday "is for", what ANY Holiday "is really about" is whatever YOU WANT IT TO BE ABOUT... isnt Freedom a wonderful thing?

the simple progression of the gregorian calendar as it coincides with historical events is ONLY AS PERSONALLY RELEVANT as YOU want it to be... me? I'm not working on Sept 27th and if i were Emperor it would be a National Holiday as well another day everyone can use to celebrate Life and Liberty in ANY manner they wish....... no its not my B-day)

paid is best, but i'll take time off without pay as well. Time is more important than money....you can always acquire more money....

A national day of mourning, yes.
A national day of relaxing at the beach, no.

I agree. Unfortunately if it becomes a national holiday (ie statuatory holiday) it will regrettably end up being a day at the beach. I hope that a dignified way of remembering can be allowed without it becoming simply another union perk.

Richards

Are national holidays restricted to union members only? When did that happen?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So what uf no one recalls (the way others 'expect' them to) and/or celebrates their continued life and liberty in a manner not personally fitting for you? Why not another day to do so?? I'd say those who 'expect' someone else to act in the manner 'they' feel is appropriate to the occasion are missing the point entirely...

Nope, you don't understand my post. It's a holiday, and those who choose to celebrate it via shopping can. I am not advocating a particular way to celebrate a holiday; rather, I have an opinion about that, and I stated it. Isn't that allowed anymore? The only thing I "expect" is to be able to state my opinion, and offer what views I hold. Sorry if my personal opinion isn't the same as yours...and if I were Empress, I would still leave people to celebrate however they wish...I would also prefer to see people understanding, at least, what the day off is for.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

*** Sorry if my personal opinion isn't the same as yours...and if I were Empress, I would still leave people to celebrate however they wish...I would also prefer to see people understanding, at least, what the day off is for.

Ciels-
Michele

Being Empress is seriously over-rated. I'd try for a different career if I were you.

not a holiday because that validates the efforts of the 19, better to honor the day in another way...like not buying any gas for a day, donating blood, buying a drink for a young Marine...

Not buying gas for a day? that does nothing.

How about not using any gas for a day? No driving, possibly including mass transit.

No. Semantics. That was not the point I was making.

Richards

No. Semantics. That was not the point I was making.

Richards

Seems an unnecessary distinction, then. What WAS your point?

Not buying gas for a day? that does nothing.

How about not using any gas for a day? No driving, possibly including mass transit.

Ah…my dear, sweet, young logical-positivist, you know what I meant or else I feel sorry for you - what is the definition is? Since you seem to like philosophy, you should read Davidson "On the Principle of Charity" - you may well be convinced to speak naturally rather than be a prick after all, hopefully before grad school, military service or adulthood.

better to honor the day in another way...like not buying any gas for a day, donating blood, buying a drink for a young Marine...

100% -- 9/11/01/ should NOT be a holiday because it will not make America any safer or change its current course. so i don't see a logical (different from emotional) point.

"I'll wager those who say dont need 'another day off' probably arent working very hard when they are there.... "

it's not about work ethic. it's a moral dilemma. regardless of whether people bust ass or are slackers, the idea is we SHOULD be grateful 365 days a year for the freedom & safety we have. personally, i don't need a day off to remember our blessings & failures.

~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

Take out the word union and replace it with a word of your choice (employee, workforce...etc) and read the post in it's entirety. If you still cannot figure it out try reading my follow up post on the matter. I'm sure you can figure it out.

Richards

Take out the word union and replace it with a word of your choice (employee, workforce...etc) and read the post in it's entirety. If you still cannot figure it out try reading my follow up post on the matter. I'm sure you can figure it out.

Richards

OK.

Unfortunately if it becomes a national holiday (ie statuatory holiday) it will regrettably end up being a day at the beach. I hope that a dignified way of remembering can be allowed without it becoming simply another management perk.

Richards