lisamariewillbe

Is it okay to be selfish?

And here I was thinking of a different kind of shag. I guess those would be cross-cultural linguistic differences, huh :ph34r:.

That said, I'd have to say that the vast majority of most people's conscious actions have at least some selfish motivation. If nothing else, because doing the generous thing often makes one feel better. It's normal.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well, you know what my answer would be---no, it's not okay. However, there is a question as to whether true altruism really exists; can people help others, without any kind of reward/motivation to be rewarded?

Jesus said it is MORE blessed to GIVE than to RECEIVE, and I believe he's right.:)
There is a difference, Lisamarie, between doing things to treat yourself and take good care of yourself, and being selfish.

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

:)

If you are always generous then [some] people will always expect you to be.. but if you are generally selfish and perfomr occasional selfless acts others will probably take more notice... sad fact of life that people notice change.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Well, you know what my answer would be---no, it's not okay. However, there is a question as to whether true altruism really exists; can people help others, without any kind of reward/motivation to be rewarded?

Jesus said it is MORE blessed to GIVE than to RECEIVE, and I believe he's right.:)
There is a difference, Lisamarie, between doing things to treat yourself and take good care of yourself, and being selfish.

You are one in a million, and your husband is a truely blessed man.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

BTW though, I am still very selfish!

This doesnt correlate with me then, you state it is wrong to be selfish then admit it is okay to be selfish. Why? In my opinion anything can be considered selfish, from eating foods that do more then sustain life, to taking pain medication when one is ill. We are motivated by our needs, which in turn is selfish ...
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

If you are always generous then [some] people will always expect you to be.. but if you are generally selfish and perfomr occasional selfless acts others will probably take more notice... sad fact of life that people notice change.

I agree. First you give someone a handout, and the next time you see them, they have their hand out.

I'll teach you to fish, but i won't give you a fish.

The Virtue of Selfishness

An interesting read...

AYN RAND here sets forth the moral principles of Objectivism, the philosophy that holds man's life--the life proper to a rational being--as the standard of moral values and regards altruism as incompatible with man's nature, with the creative requirements of his survival, and with a free society.

Depends on your values, which has a lot to do with the way you were raised. Type A's and Immature adults are more likely to be selfish....Theirs a lot of
"Whats in it for me!" attitudes in modern America
so you won't be alone if you are. If someone is over 60 or 70 years old or raised in rual life where neighbor helped neighbor, they may remember when the attitude of average citizens were different.
Most believed in living by the golden rule as best they could. Many people or shall I say we all are selfish to some extent without realizing it, the occasional giving act is just a way of salving our concious. WHAT CAN I SAY DAMMIT? Yes and No depending on the situation; Theres an old saying~"no good deed goes unpunished"~ :P
relax kids, all you need is airtime airtime airtime and the ability to relax of course
Plan your dive and dive your plan bsbs

And if someone by nature is rewarded from helping others, does that in turn make the desire and the act of helping people a selfish act?

Personally I am selfish on alot of things... and I think that is okay. It makes me happy to provide others with needs and sometimes it makes me happy to do things for myself where no one else benefits from it but myself.

Selfishness is a need in most animals. you need to take care of your SELF before others otherwise you are less equipped to do so.
As far as doing things for others, my interpretation of atruism, is the act of doing nice to/for others without the EXPECTATION of external reward. If you feel good about helping others, that's fine, and it can self perpetuate into you help more others. so its all good there.:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Jesus said it is MORE blessed to GIVE than to RECEIVE, and I believe he's right.:)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That takes a lot of disciipline in the dog eat dog societys of the modern world. Lets take skydiving for instance...people stepping on people to improve and get ahead. Try to help a novice to much and they become dependent on trying to pull theirselves up on some one elses shirt tails.....You know, don't want to put the sweat equity in, just want it handed to them on a silver platter. Most will never pass it on
but rather try to cop a coaching or other hook to defray their own cost's. Can one blame them? NO!
The sport is 4 square more expensive now than it was a decade or so ago. people are either giving by nature or their not, so if ya help someone never expect to get anything back even somthing as simple as them to passing it on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*I agree!

You are one in a million, and your husband is a truely blessed man.

Buttsmootching is not an act of giving, it falls into the politically correct and self serving cataglorys :P
relax kids, all you need is airtime airtime airtime and the ability to relax of course
Plan your dive and dive your plan bsbs

BTW though, I am still very selfish!

This doesnt correlate with me then, you state it is wrong to be selfish then admit it is okay to be selfish. Why? In my opinion anything can be considered selfish, from eating foods that do more then sustain life, to taking pain medication when one is ill. We are motivated by our needs, which in turn is selfish ...

Windcatcher didn't say its ok to be selfish, she belives she is very selfish. Thats not the same thing at all, she simply recoginses her selfishness which possibly maybe VERY Selfish to her but insignificant to another. you on the other hand have already stated that you think its ok to be selfish.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

People tend not to be completly one or the other (selfish or selfless).
A happy medium is all that is required.

We're human. Everyone is selfish sometimes. It's unavoidable.

*** And if someone by nature is rewarded from helping others, does that in turn make the desire and the act of helping people a selfish act? ***

No. Emotional reward is the natural reason we try to help.