Conundrum

You and your s/o are pregnant,

Speakers corner here we come....I can not believe that at least 4 people have checked they would terminate a babys life because of either downs or spina bifida or other problems?

Fucking bullshit people.... People live normal or next to normals lives with downs all the time.

Theres tons of things out there that are found while pregnant. My youngest had a heart problem... I didnt even think to abort

FINDING out at 4 months means that baby has a face, a smile, little fingers that grasp.... FINDING OUT AT FOUR MONTHS means the parents have choosen to keep the baby as most abortions happen earlier.

This isnt to Chelle this is to the people who voted to kill the child they choose to love for 4 months and changed their mind because that baby that BOY or GIRL was different >:(
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

but knowingly bringing someone into this world to fight an uphill battle the rest of their lives is just wrong, selfish and self serving,despite the fancy theories and wordsmithing PC shit,

HOW???? YOU may feel its a uphill battle but people have differences that they are born with or get later in life and lead happy lives. You would take someones potential life away because having downs gives them a altered look and maybe a lower IQ?

Edit to add, I am not taking into account S.B , as I do not know much about that problem to form an opinion. I do know I would NEVER terminate a life. EVER

and during the 4th month or so, the Dr. tells you that your baby has a serious health problem. Down Syndrome, Spina Bifida, or some other health condition. Do you terminate or keep the baby?

*let me add that this has nothing to do with me :)

Depending on the seriousness, I would consider terminating the pregnancy. But that would be assuming my SO would agree...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

From what I am reading most babies if born with S.B will not survive out of the womb. I personally would still not terminate however I would not look at a person as a murderer if they did choose to terminate.

but Downs? Thats a different story

I dont see humor in farts, maybe I should be terminated as well. When voting and writing my opinion I forget for a split second this was a poll in a skydiving website, a sport where people are selfish and live for themselves usually. You can not imagine the joy a downs child brings to his or her parents and to the world. Hopefully the ones who would kill a downs child cant reproduce, that way they wont pass on their ignorance on the disease and make more baby killers.

So you would be ok with possibly raising a human being that might need your care and support the rest of his or her life. What happens to that individual when you or your spouse pass away. That would be my major concern. What if I pass away, who will take care of this person in my absence. I'm 28 and heaven forbid my parents pass away, but I'm financially independent. Now imagine a 28yo who cant and who suffers a major birth defect.

She asked for everyones opinions. Why can't you just let people have an opinion that differs from yours? Yours is no better or worse than anyone elses.. so state yours.. read others.. and move on.

If I were in that situation, I would pray for the strength to make the right decision. I would talk to my child's father and my family about it. I wouldn't give a damn about what anyone on dropzone.com had to say about it.

Speakers corner here we come....I can not believe that at least 4 people have checked they would terminate a babys life because of either downs or spina bifida or other problems?

People are different. I'd be extremely surprised if in SC, people held the same opinion on something so (in the US at least) divisive as abortion.

Fucking bullshit people.... People live normal or next to normals lives with downs all the time.

Some do. Some have severly limited intellectual and emotional understanding and severe health issues. It's not cut and dry.

This isnt to Chelle this is to the people who voted to kill the child they choose to love for 4 months and changed their mind because that baby that BOY or GIRL was different >:(

Sidestepping the issue of personhood, it's a bit arrogant of you to suggest that you have the solution and insight to tell me what is best for me, given my background, current situation, capabilities and moral and ethical background.

There are a great deal of things to take into consideration - beyond religiously flavoured "personhood start at birth" matters But it is Ok to have a strong opinion and be judgemental about it, as long as one recognizes it.

I take murder a bit different then some. I dont see murder as a choice. In this case yes my opinion is better then some because to me murder is not an option for a child that can lead a good life, for instence one with downs. If you want to judge me thats fine, but just realize you judging me is the same thing you are chastising me for.

I do think its important to see where our peers stand on this issue, and therefore it is important what the masses say. So even though you are "too good" to care what people on dz.com say about issues and you "feel" that its not valid, to me it is, this is part of my peer group, these are people I see at a dz, and these are people who in this country vote and influence others lives.

so state yours.. read others.. and move on.

Its also a public forum where people esp in S.C. come to debate, and argue their feelings. My feelings dont just "move on" as you so nicely put. Have a great day.

Yes I am judgemental in way of murder, I dont care if its in real life, in cyber world, or somewhere inbetween.

Theres very little instence where I would ever say "aborting a baby is okay" I dont believe in it and Id much rather me be judgemental about that then sit there and be PC. Im not in politics, I dont have to be PC.

There has and always will be adoption, Id adopt a diabled child, I know several people who would. Thats the solution. Death is not the solution in my mind. Never will be.

Me and my Fiancee talked a lot about this in an event that this could happen to us. We agreed to terminate any down-syndrome or major deformity that's highly debilitating. But this was also discussed with the fact neither of us has had a child. for all I know, one of us may have a change of heart.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Yes I am judgemental in way of murder, I dont care if its in real life, in cyber world, or somewhere inbetween.

Theres very little instence where I would ever say "aborting a baby is okay" I dont believe in it and Id much rather me be judgemental about that then sit there and be PC. Im not in politics, I dont have to be PC.

There has and always will be adoption, Id adopt a diabled child, I know several people who would. Thats the solution. Death is not the solution in my mind. Never will be.

What instances would you say it's ok? Why are some situations ok for "murder" and others aren't?

A very difficult decision, hopefully you can both agree on it.

One way of looking at it is if you try again where going to term would have otherwise prevented it you'll always have your new child who'd never have otherwise existed to assuage any doubts and guilt that might subsequently arise.

There was that disease Billvon pointed out before (too early to google as I havent had coffee yet, I think Nightengale pointed it out as well) where the tissues is not a fetus because it does not have the ability to live without the mother. If I could have more children that wouldnt even convince me to abort but I could understand why a family would in that case. Other then that I think abortion is morally wrong. Plenty of people are willing to adopt babies. Plenty of people with disabilities are able to have full enriching lives.

Esp Downs, so many people with Downs becomes self sufficient and as far as I know the degree of downs cant be seen while in the womb.