kallend

Educational level of US states

PhDs weren't mentioned in the data. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Talk about completely missing the point......whoooosh.

Then there's this stuff from the census bureau

Again, you miss the point. Additionally posting data from 9 years ago isn't even germain considering that was during the Tech boom. The construction and Real Estate boom has been happening since 1996. I know more people invoved in that industry who are makeing considerably more today that the snotty Elitists with ther sheep skins. Many with Professional degrees are waiting tables at your local Applebys or are involved in Management School for McDonalds since the Tech Companies flatlined.

When will the snotty Elitists learn that sucess in life has nothing to do with a big paycheck of a sheepskin on the wall? It has more to do with motivation and the ability to spot opportunities and capitalize on them.

You might also read "Emotional Intelligence" by Daniel Goleman.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553375067/103-1407115-6478206?v=glance&n=283155

A much better predictor of sucess than a Professional Degree.

More reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_intelligence

Those 9 year old data were conveniently at hand. Latest US Census data show exactly the same thing. Anyone can post stuff to Wikipedia!

Census shows very clearly that median incomes go up with educational level. The most poorly educated are also most likely to be unemployed and on welfare. There are remarkably few people with professional degrees on welfare. Sorry to burst your bubble again.

Why do you think so many people are paying so much tuition for their kids to go to college? Because Bush's economic boom has given them too much money so they need to waste some?

And the most poorly educated states are strongly "red" despite your insults and attempts at distraction. Maybe they should turn off the TV and read more.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Dealing with the school systems/principals/superintendents on a daily basis, most, not all, but most, could not survive a single moment in the real world of work and money. Saying that, I'm glad they are in their chosen profession, we need them. I couldn't stand a system that rewards tenure vs. performance.

Don't like them? Blame the people who appointed them.

I doubt I could survive long in the "real world" of coal mining, and I doubt if many coal miners would survive long teaching a "real world" CAD/CAM class to engineering students.

Anyone who manages to earn a decent living in a supply-and-demand capitalist society is making it in the "real world".

......or otherwise known as taking responcibility, and to avoid it some place the lables.

What is the term or phrase used most often by libs?

Something to think about.....

It's called an education, where children learn how to read and write. Spelling is also a valuable tool with which you can convey ideas.

Strike one (but I don't think you followed the point I was trying to make and that could be my fault)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

......or otherwise known as taking responcibility, and to avoid it some place the lables.

It's called an education, where children learn how to read and write. Spelling is also a valuable tool with which you can convey ideas.

Strike one (but I don't think you followed the point I was trying to make and that could be my fault)

You could always go to the library:

What Effect Reading Has on Our Minds
by Martha Brockenbrough
Here are two facts that probably won't surprise you: Reading makes you smarter, and the more reading you do, the better.

Why this is so and how the magic happens, though, is quite interesting.

In a paper called What Reading Does for the Mind, Anne E. Cunningham, associate professor of cognition and development at the University of California, Berkeley, makes the case that reading:

increases vocabulary more than talking or direct teaching;

substantially boosts general knowledge while decreasing the likelihood that misinformation will be absorbed; and

helps keep our memory and reasoning abilities intact as we age.

How reading increases vocabulary
Where do people learn more of their words? If you're guessing through talking, guess again. Researchers today believe that reading pours more words into your brain than conversation and television.

Cunningham's paper refers to studies that ranked the frequency of 86,741 English words. A word's frequency is how often it appears in speech or writing. In speech, the average word frequency is 400--meaning, when we talk, we are likely to use a small set of frequently occurring words.

Meanwhile, words in children's books, which people think of as being simple little things, have an average frequency of 627. In other words, the language in a children's book is likely to be more sophisticated than your average conversation.

Between fourth and sixth grades, kids are likely to have encountered all but rare words--those ranked below 10,000 on the list.

The only way for them to learn those rare words is to encounter them, and they're far more likely to do that on the printed page.

In a newspaper, for example, 68.3 words per 1,000 are "rare." In children's literature, 30.9 words per 1,000 are rare. On prime-time TV, it sinks to 22.7. In conversations between college graduates, it's even lower--17.3 words per 1,000.

So even if a child is talking with well-educated parents, her best shot at expanding her vocabulary is by reading.

How reading boosts general knowledge
It's true that the smarter you are, the more stuff you know.

But when adjusted for four factors--grade-point average as well as scores on intelligence, math, and reading-comprehension tests--how much you read was shown to have a big impact on how much you know (and, by extension, how smart you are).

People who read more were more likely to know about how carburetors* work, what vitamin is found in concentrated forms in citrus fruits, and other general facts. Regardless of general abilities, the people who read more knew more.

Equally important, they were less likely to have been sucked in by misinformation. In a really interesting test, they asked 268 college students how many of the world's people are Muslim vs. Jewish. Almost 70 percent of these smart college kids thought Jewish people outnumbered Muslims. Actually, there are about 20 million Jewish people and more than 800 million Muslims.

Cunningham found that the more TV participants watched, the more likely they were to get that question wrong. But the more they read, the more likely they were to get the answers right. General intellectual ability didn't matter here--the amount of reading vs. television consumption did.

It's not just that you learn more through reading; you can learn some incorrect things with imbalanced television coverage that isn't uncommon on prime-time TV.

How reading protects your mind
When you pit senior citizens against college students in general knowledge and vocabulary, the oldsters win out.

But college students beat their elders when it comes to memory and tasks that involve logic and deductive reasoning*. Except, that is, when controlled for the amount of reading those people do. There, the results pointed toward the notion that reading a lot can compensate for the wear and tear time can put on a mind.

If only reading could also prevent the ravages time wreaks on the body.... But alas, I've tried, and even lifting a Harry Potter book only did so much.

Still, it's eye-opening--especially for a parent of a new reader--to grasp how big a difference reading can make, and how important it is for a child to have early success and positive feelings about reading. Cunningham also showed those had a direct impact on a person's likelihood of becoming a bookworm.

"An early start in reading is important in predicting a lifetime of literary experience," Cunningham writes. "It means that students who get off to a fast start in reading are more likely to read over the years, and, furthermore, this very act of reading can help children compensate for modest levels of cognitive ability by building their vocabulary and general knowledge."

My kids might not like it when I tell them to put the remote control down and pick up a book, but after reading Cunningham's paper, I know it's the right thing to do.

Too many big words; it can't be that important :P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You could always go to the library:

What Effect Reading Has on Our Minds
by Martha Brockenbrough
Here are two facts that probably won't surprise you: Reading makes you smarter, and the more reading you do, the better.

Why this is so and how the magic happens, though, is quite interesting.

In a paper called What Reading Does for the Mind, Anne E. Cunningham, associate professor of cognition and development at the University of California, Berkeley, makes the case that reading:

increases vocabulary more than talking or direct teaching;

substantially boosts general knowledge while decreasing the likelihood that misinformation will be absorbed; and

helps keep our memory and reasoning abilities intact as we age.

How reading increases vocabulary
Where do people learn more of their words? If you're guessing through talking, guess again. Researchers today believe that reading pours more words into your brain than conversation and television.

Cunningham's paper refers to studies that ranked the frequency of 86,741 English words. A word's frequency is how often it appears in speech or writing. In speech, the average word frequency is 400--meaning, when we talk, we are likely to use a small set of frequently occurring words.

Meanwhile, words in children's books, which people think of as being simple little things, have an average frequency of 627. In other words, the language in a children's book is likely to be more sophisticated than your average conversation.

Between fourth and sixth grades, kids are likely to have encountered all but rare words--those ranked below 10,000 on the list.

The only way for them to learn those rare words is to encounter them, and they're far more likely to do that on the printed page.

In a newspaper, for example, 68.3 words per 1,000 are "rare." In children's literature, 30.9 words per 1,000 are rare. On prime-time TV, it sinks to 22.7. In conversations between college graduates, it's even lower--17.3 words per 1,000.

So even if a child is talking with well-educated parents, her best shot at expanding her vocabulary is by reading.

How reading boosts general knowledge
It's true that the smarter you are, the more stuff you know.

But when adjusted for four factors--grade-point average as well as scores on intelligence, math, and reading-comprehension tests--how much you read was shown to have a big impact on how much you know (and, by extension, how smart you are).

People who read more were more likely to know about how carburetors* work, what vitamin is found in concentrated forms in citrus fruits, and other general facts. Regardless of general abilities, the people who read more knew more.

Equally important, they were less likely to have been sucked in by misinformation. In a really interesting test, they asked 268 college students how many of the world's people are Muslim vs. Jewish. Almost 70 percent of these smart college kids thought Jewish people outnumbered Muslims. Actually, there are about 20 million Jewish people and more than 800 million Muslims.

Cunningham found that the more TV participants watched, the more likely they were to get that question wrong. But the more they read, the more likely they were to get the answers right. General intellectual ability didn't matter here--the amount of reading vs. television consumption did.

It's not just that you learn more through reading; you can learn some incorrect things with imbalanced television coverage that isn't uncommon on prime-time TV.

How reading protects your mind
When you pit senior citizens against college students in general knowledge and vocabulary, the oldsters win out.

But college students beat their elders when it comes to memory and tasks that involve logic and deductive reasoning*. Except, that is, when controlled for the amount of reading those people do. There, the results pointed toward the notion that reading a lot can compensate for the wear and tear time can put on a mind.

If only reading could also prevent the ravages time wreaks on the body.... But alas, I've tried, and even lifting a Harry Potter book only did so much.

Still, it's eye-opening--especially for a parent of a new reader--to grasp how big a difference reading can make, and how important it is for a child to have early success and positive feelings about reading. Cunningham also showed those had a direct impact on a person's likelihood of becoming a bookworm.

"An early start in reading is important in predicting a lifetime of literary experience," Cunningham writes. "It means that students who get off to a fast start in reading are more likely to read over the years, and, furthermore, this very act of reading can help children compensate for modest levels of cognitive ability by building their vocabulary and general knowledge."

My kids might not like it when I tell them to put the remote control down and pick up a book, but after reading Cunningham's paper, I know it's the right thing to do.

So you are saying that those that do not have degrees don't (or can't:P) read?
Abraham Lincoln

If you had read it you would know what I'm suggesting.

Turn off the TV and read more books.

That is great.

Once again the great (self term) educated thumb thier nose at those they percieve to be less than they are. (less educated if you did not understand the point)

The income comparison, smart comparison BS just make you feel superior enough to make a dumb ass statement like the one above.

I bow in humble submission........:S
Abraham Lincoln

That is great.

Once again the great (self term) educated thumb thier nose at those they percieve to be less than they are. (less educated if you did not understand the point)

The income comparison, smart comparison BS just make you feel superior enough to make a dumb ass statement like the one above.

Don't bow, just fix your spelling and grammar.;) I've made a suggestion, it's up to you now.:|

As far as income BS is concerned, you might want to READ this:

usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa072602a.htm

That is great.

Don't bow, just fix your spelling and grammar.;) I've made a suggestion, it's up to you now.:|

You made a suggestion based on and assumption.

Now that is smart huh:S
Abraham Lincoln

That is great.

You made a suggestion based on and assumption.

Now that is smart huh:S

I didn't assume that your spelling was bad, I observed it.:P In addition, you admitted it.

It surprises you that criminals tend to congregate where the population and median income is higher?

Blues,
Dave

Very good point. It reminds me of when we lived in the Uptown neighborhood in Minneapolis. Fun place to live - mostly students, young professionals, musicians and other artist types, good ethnic mix, lively scene. Only drawback was that we were the "prey" neighborhood for the not-so-nice elements of the neighborhood to our east. Miscellaneous vandalism and occassionally serious crime were routine. I got to where I quit locking my car at night. I'd rather give them the lose change then have my window smashed again, and again, and again. Left there in 96 when we decided to start a family. The crack houses a few blocks east were a large part of that decision. Too bad, used to be a very nice place to live. The serious crime there is starting to get routine, and the city officials are all debating what to do about it.

DUH????!!!!!!
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I just think it's interesting to note the correlation between sociopathic murderers and democratic strongholds. Not to say that Democrats represent murderous sociopaths, or even that the the well-educated populations are where you'd go to find murderers. As much as the statistics bear that out, I mean, that statement would hold as much weight as looking at educational levels vs. voting patterns.

It surprises you that criminals tend to congregate where the population and median income is higher?

Blues,
Dave

No. Not at all. In fact, I do not believe there to be any "causal link" between education and murder. I was merely pointing out statistics that I thought has as much relation as does kallend's.

On the other hand, I do sense there to be an amazing amount of elitism with kallend's post. To me, and this is just my personal opinion, the Professor's post really points out the difference between the left and the right. The left's principle seems to be twofold. First, the leadership caste believes, "We are better educated, we are smarter, and we have a much more solid idea about what is good for everybody. Those peasants don't know what is good for them, and they cannot make it. Thus, they need our help."

The second group are those who are uneducated and don't make much money who actually buy into the idea that they are not good enough, not smart enough, the system is against them, and therefore they need the help of those who are better, smarter and more educated.

We see this on the right, too. "This is the way to salvation, sinners, for I am the spokesperson for God. You aren't good enough for heaven, and you need my help to get there." This is the type of intellectual and spiritual pimping we hear from others. "You arent' good enough. The church will show you how."

From the left we hear, "You aren't good enough. Even if you were, you still couldn't do it. You are either too poor, too dark (whatever you do, do not look at those pesky Asians who do so well - they are a different tone of white), too stupid, and too uneducated to get ahead. However, you peasants DO have an answer - Let us, the smart and educated, do it for you. You just are not good enough, and we are the way."

This is why anyone who voted for Bush is stupid or "uneducated." It's why Bush is an imbecile, moron, fool, etc. (Of course, they never catch the irony that Bush was smart enough to beat Al Gore and John Kerry, both of whose intelligence was greatly ballyhooed).

Until the left quits with its elitist, snooty, stuck-up and haughty that those who disagree with them are stupid or ignorant - as opposed to having a contrary viewpoint, or even just being wrong - the left will continue to lose credibility by calling the intelligent "stupid," the resourceful "uneducated," and continue to believe in the inferiority of those who do things differently.

p.s. No, I don't think the right is much better. I simply am able to tolerate them much better because though they tend to have a "holier than thou" attitude, I don't feel the "better, smarter, more educated than you peasants" feeling from them. Perhaps it's because using their own definition of holy, they are right.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Interesting rant that flies in the face of facts. The left supports things like "Head Start" to help parents break the cycle of poverty for their children, programs which have been gutted by the right who now say affirmative action is discrimination and the poor deserve their condition.

Education IS the way out of poverty. The USA will not maintain superiority in the 21st Century with an undereducated workforce.

p.s. No, I don't think the right is much better. I simply am able to tolerate them much better because though they tend to have a "holier than thou" attitude, I don't feel the "better, smarter, more educated than you peasants" feeling from them. Perhaps it's because using their own definition of holy, they are right.

The feeling I get most strongly from the American right (far right) is "If you don't agree with us, you aren't a patriot". Similarly, anyone attempting to protest against policy or change how things are done is met with "This is our America, love it (our exact conservative vision of it) or leave it" leaving absolutely no scope for the idea that others might have valid, non treasonous, opinions on how the country should be run.

Bleh, party politics is ugly sometimes.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The left supports things like "Head Start" to help parents break the cycle of poverty for their children, ....

Because the 'left' doesn't think they are good enough or smart enough to do it on their own.

that certainly does support the left portion of LawRocket's post

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Because the 'left' doesn't think they are good enough or smart enough to do it on their own.

So if we were walking to the plane, you fell down and I lent you my hand would you be all like "Screw you! You don't think I'm good enough to stand up by myself!" or would you say "Thanks" recognising I just made something a bit easier for you?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I

1. Washington D.C. - Note how totally blue D.C. is.

Curious. How can DC be considered "blue" if they can't vote?

Not a state either. Unlike ancient Greece we do not have city states.

The left supports things like "Head Start" to help parents break the cycle of poverty for their children, ....

that certainly does support the left portion of LawRocket's post

I'm curious as to how you think a welfare mother who dropped out of school at 14 will instill literacy in her children with no outside assistance. Maybe you should take a break from the corn fields of Iowa and take a drive through the inner city sometime.

I'm curious as to how you think a welfare mother who dropped out of school at 14 will instill literacy in her children with no outside assistance. Maybe you should take a break from the corn fields of Iowa and take a drive through the inner city sometime.

It's called a library John.

That's outside assistance and "elitist", unless the mother mysteriously has her own library.