kallend

Law abiding citizens and cell phones?

Knight Ridder News Service
PHILADELPHIA - Passengers and other people opposed to a Federal Communications Commission plan to allow the use of cell phones during airline flights now have some fresh data on their side.

A study by Carnegie Mellon University engineers, published this month in technology magazine IEEE Spectrum, found cell phones, laptops and other personal electronic devices can cause greater interference with an airplane's critical electronics than previously believed.

The researchers concluded something else surprising by extrapolating data from late 2003 tests on 37 flights in the eastern United States: One to four cell-phone calls are typically being made aboard every airline flight in the country, despite the fact the calls are illegal and that flight crews tell passengers not to.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

PHILADELPHIA - Passengers and other people opposed to a Federal Communications Commission plan to allow the use of cell phones during airline flights now have some fresh data on their side.

A study by Carnegie Mellon University engineers, published this month in technology magazine IEEE Spectrum, found cell phones, laptops and other personal electronic devices can cause greater interference with an airplane's critical electronics than previously believed.

The researchers concluded something else surprising by extrapolating data from late 2003 tests on 37 flights in the eastern United States: One to four cell-phone calls are typically being made aboard every airline flight in the country, despite the fact the calls are illegal and that flight crews tell passengers not to.

Can't be. The 9/11 conspiracists claim cell phone calls cannot be made from airplanes.

Can't be. The 9/11 conspiracists claim cell phone calls cannot be made from airplanes.

An ounce of experiment is worth a ton of theory.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I asked a lady near me to turn her phone off because she decided that we we're on final, so it was low enough to not be a problem. She informed me that it wouldn't cause any problems and also that I should mind my own business. I informed her that IF her phone managed to cause a problem that would put the plane at risk, that it WAS my business. I then asked her if her one phonecall that couldn't wait 10 minutes was more important than the safety of all the passengers. The people next to her politely asked her to turn off her phone, which she finally did... in a fit of indignant rage.

Even if the chance is really slim, shut it off and ask the asshole trying to make a call that JUST can't wait to do the same.
Oh, hello again!

> I heard a little while ago they still offer internet on some planes?

On a few of them, yes. It's generally 802.11b/g. We're also working on power limited microcells to allow (legal) cellphone usage on aircraft. We've demoed the system; it's just a matter of an airline wanting it.

It's always fun to turn on an 802.11 wireless sniffer. Nobody ever turns off their laptop's wireless connection. Most people don't even know how.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Yeah, I bet everyone just can't wait for airplanes to become the new restaurants.

Passenger A:
"BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!!"
"...uh huh, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!"

Passenger in the next seat:
"Excuse me, but would you mind shutting the fuck up? Thanks."
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

We're also working on power limited microcells to allow (legal) cellphone usage on aircraft. We've demoed the system; it's just a matter of an airline wanting it.

Please, please, please don't let people yack on cell phones on airline flights. They're maddening enough as it is. Imagine being stuck on a plane for hours with hundreds of people, with dozens of one-way conversations being carried on all around you. Arghhhh! Hey, lets re-implement smoking on airplanes, and of course we could always use more screaming babies too!

We're also working on power limited microcells to allow (legal) cellphone usage on aircraft. We've demoed the system; it's just a matter of an airline wanting it.

Please, please, please don't let people yack on cell phones on airline flights. They're maddening enough as it is. Imagine being stuck on a plane for hours with hundreds of people, with dozens of one-way conversations being carried on all around you. Arghhhh! Hey, lets re-implement smoking on airplanes, and of course we could always use more screaming babies too!

Screw the cellphones and the crying babies but I'd sure like a smoking booth or something:P
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

and i'd like a quiet area to inject my heroin :)

LMAO :D Dancergirl you sure have a way with words!! ;)
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

You want to smoke? ... then go outside:P and take your screaming kid with ya.

. No fucking kids. They're all grown up thank god. (not that they don't want fuckin money all the time). And I have rig on board. I wish they'd let me (go outside) jump. If I survived the exit I have smoke and a shot of heroin and a cell ph. call on the canopy ride down. :P
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.