brianfry713

6/6/06, the end of the world?

wendy w., "The Worlds Sixteen Crucified Saviours-Christianity Before Christ" by Kersey Graves is an excellent place to start, since you brought up Buddha, a solar myth as well. Originally printed in 1875 it is available from amazon.com or any good book store. a good place to start, if your interested
we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively

wishers never choose, choosers never wish

09/09/09 is the actual end of the world?

Homeland Security has confirmed this to be true. They have creditable information obtain through a top secret covert clergy infiltration operation. After deciphering years of compiled information, they have concluded that 9/9/9 was as good of a date as any. The recommended course of action for the civilian population is to stock up on plenty of water and dry goods (enough to last an eternity), plastic sheeting and duct tape to cover windows and doors (for no reason other than it sounds good) and batteries. Homeland Security will broadcast hourly reports throughout the end of the world to advise you on what to do.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

666 is the number of the beast, not the day the world will end.Or Whatever.;)

6+6+6=18,1+8=9, 9 is the number of completion.
it is called numerology

um... how'd you go from 6+6+6 to 1+8? Are you adding up 6+6+6 to get 18 and then dividing by 2 to get 9? where's the 1 and the 8 coming from?

...confused...

Oh.... and dont forget to pile up all of your funiture up in a pyramid (with the correct ratio 440x440 base by 280 high) and live inside it, sitting in a full lotus position........ you know it makes sense.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

THE BIBLE CANNOT BE USED TO PROVE ITSELF OR ITS "DIVINE" INSPIRATION

The Bible isn't just one book. It's 66 different ones which validate each other.

It is unique in its continuity
If just 10 people today were picked who were from the same place, born around the same time, spoke the same language, and made about the same amount of money, and were asked to write on just one controversial subject, they would have trouble agreeing with each other. But the Bible stands alone. It was written over a period of 1600 years by more than 40 writers from all walks of life. Some were fishermen; some were politicians. Others were generals or kings, shepherds or historians. They were from three different continents, and wrote in three different languages. They wrote on hundreds of controversial subjects yet they wrote with agreement and harmony. They wrote in dungeons, in temples, on beaches, and on hillsides, during peacetime and during war. Yet their words sound like they came from the same source. So even though 10 people today couldn’t write on one controversial subject and agree, God picked 40 different people to write the Bible – and it has stood the test of time.

It is unique in its circulation
The invention of the printing press in 1450 made it possible to print books in large quantities. The first book printed was the Bible. Since then, it has been read by more people and printed more times than any other book in history. By 1930, over one billion Bibles had been distributed by Bible societies around the world. By 1977, Bible societies alone were printing over 200 million Bibles each year, and this doesn’t include the rest of the Bible publishing companies. No one who is interested in knowing the truth can ignore such an important book.

It is unique in translation
The Bible has been translated into over 1400 languages. No other book even comes close.

It is unique in survival
In ancient times, books were copied by hand onto manuscripts that were made from parchment and would decay over time. Ancient books are available today only because someone made copies of the originals to preserve them. For example, the original writings of Julius Caesar are no longer around. We know what he wrote only by the copies we have. Only 10 copies still exist, and they were made 1000 years after he died. Only 600 copies of Homer’s The Iliad exist, made 1300 years after the originals were written. No other book has as many copies of the ancient manuscripts as the Bible. In fact, there are over 24000 copies of the New Testament manuscripts, some fro within 35 years of the writer’s death.

Unless and until you read "did jesus christ really live" in it's entirety and ask for a copy of Who is this- a critical study of the christos- messiah tradition you have absolutely nothing intelligent to contribute to this discussion. it is so easy to prove your remarks false. "what you fear controls you. you fear burning in hell for not believing in "jesus", thus no matter how deeply rooted your FALSE belief is , it is that fear that motivates your every thought, word and action"

It is unique in withstanding attack
No other book has been so attacked throughout history as the Bible. In A.D. 300 the Roman emperor Diocletian ordered every Bible burned because he though that by destroying the Scriptures he could destroy Christianity. Anyone caught with a Bible would be executed. But just 20 years later, the Roman emperor Constantine ordered that 50 perfect copies of the Bible be made at government expense. The French philosopher Voltaire, a skeptic who destroyed the faith of many people, boasted that within 100 years of his death, the Bible would disappear from the face of the Earth. Voltaire died in 1728, but the Bible lives on. The irony of history is that 50 years after his death, the Geneva Bible Society moved into his former house and used his printing presses to print thousands of Bibles. The Bible has also survived criticism. No book has been more attacked for its accuracy. And yet archeologists are proving every year that the Bible’s detailed descriptions of historic events are correct.

"What Hollywood Believes" by Ray Comfort

09/09/09 is the actual end of the world?

Homeland Security has confirmed this to be true. They have creditable information obtain through a top secret covert clergy infiltration operation. After deciphering years of compiled information, they have concluded that 9/9/9 was as good of a date as any. The recommended course of action for the civilian population is to stock up on plenty of water and dry goods (enough to last an eternity), plastic sheeting and duct tape to cover windows and doors (for no reason other than it sounds good) and batteries. Homeland Security will broadcast hourly reports throughout the end of the world to advise you on what to do.

Don't forget a lifetime supply of tinfoil.

:D

only because the Editors arranged them to do so... and they were HARDLY objective in doing so... there were once 'books' just as valid as those you are familiar with that were completely removed and DESTROYED.. so there would be no conflicting accounts...

Someone had to discern which written works were genuine and which were either not or questionable and put the whole thing together. There's nothing suspicious about that. The criteria for inclusion into the canon is:

1. Apostolic authority
2. Age of text
3. Orthodoxy
4. Widespread acceptance

I don't know what conspiracy theory you're trying to spread but I'm assuming you're speaking of the gnostic texts. Just because it was deemed that they didn't meet the above criteria does not invalidate the ones which were included.

Validation cannot be internal. Validation must come from an external reference. The Bible must agree with objective and unbiased external references to be considered true. If you have even one item which is not credible according to a source which meets these requirements, the entire book is to be looked at accordingly. Frankly, the mere existence of the "gnostic texts" provides the discrepencies you would look for to point out internal and external credibility concerns. But regardless, the bible must be validated by external points of reference, not interal. I can make a spreadsheet that tells me 2 + 3 = 10. In the context of the spreadsheet, I would be correct in saying 2 + 3 = 10. But when I verify it with actual math, I would find my spreadsheets credibility to be lacking. This is why no one really cares whether or not the bible is consistent/contradictory with itself or not. It's a matter of if its consistent/contradictory with a previously proven credible external reference.

Tell this to a christian however, and he'll tell you the devil was responsible.

For instance have a christian explain the story of Horus hich parallels the story of Jesus by about 98%. (the other 2% being questions of divinity and salvation, christians can go ahead and stop reading here) The story of Horus pre-dates the story of Jesus by several hundred if not a couple thousand years. That makes the story of Jesus look like trans-ethnic plagiarism.

But of course the only viable refutation against the story of Horus by christians I've heard is that Satan MUST have been responsible for the story of Horus as part of his plan to discredit Jesus. :rolleyes:

Linkage for Horus/Jesus parallels...

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa5.htm

And you ARE right about SOMEONE trying to scam others...I don't think it's God though. Have you ever thought about an enemy, who rejoices every time you renounce the Word of God as truth?
Have you ever thought about the possibility, that there may be an enemy out there who wants nothing other than to deceive you from the truth, and destroy your soul?
You ever think to yourself, that maybe there is someone who laughs at you every time you reject God's truth and who revels in the fact that despite Jesus death on the cross, he will still be able to keep people from knowing God in eternity?

isn't that Opus Dei? I am so confused :P

ABSOLUTELY F*****G NOT

He was just a man. Sorry to let you down.

just as yours was only a carpenter...

get over it...

I'm sorry, does my belief that Jesus is the son of God offend you?
I won't get over it.:)

Obviously, you know not that much about religions. Even in your own, you failed several times and quoted wrong words.

There are other religions. And if Buddha was "just a man" could also be applied to Jesus. He was just a man. Or not?

A virgin gave birth to Jesus: How did that work? His father is "God"... Is Joseph his stepfather?

If he was walking over water, healing ppl just by putting his hands on their heads..? Who saw it?

BTW: I have a beautiful son. 24 y/o. I would give my life for him. Why did "God" let his son down and watched him die that hard way??? Wouldn't a father give his life for his kid??

Questions. You never will be able to answer them. Just go on blindly believing in some fairy tales written by ppl you never met. Nobody even knows who wrote all those bible versions.
:|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

I'm fine with your beliefs, but what gives you the right to trample other religions. Cant you just be happy that another human being found the path to God through other means, or does it have to be through Jesus. I'm an agnostic and if there is a God I find it petty to think that this divine entity would only accept you if and only if you accept Jesus. Did God suddenly turn into a lawyer with a contract stating certain requirements you must meet for salvation.

I don't claim to know all the answers.I just believe what I believe. I believe the Bible is the Word of God, and it is the TRUTH. That is what I believe.

If you think the Bible is a myth, that's your opinion. However, my belief is that it is not. Why does this bother so many????????????????????????????????????

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

How exactly do I trample other religions? By having an opinion? :S

Ask a buddhist, atheist, agnostic, muslim, etc, if they believe Jesus was the Son of God and the Bible is the word of God. If they say no, does that mean they are "trampling over my religion?" Nope.

I am not going to get stirred up or angry. If you have an opinion about me because of what I believe, that's perfectly fine with me. :)
Isn't it funny when other people say Jesus is a joke, myth, etc, and we are tolerant of that. However, when you say Jesus was the Son of God, that's intolerable.
If you say Jesus was a myth, that's acceptable. If I say Buddha was a myth, that's not PC and certainly intolerable!!!

Funny how that works eh? ;)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I don't claim to know all the answers.I just believe what I believe. I believe the Bible is the Word of God, and it is the TRUTH. That is what I believe.

If you think the Bible is a myth, that's your opinion. However, my belief is that it is not. Why does this bother so many????????????????????????????????????

Us evil people have many parts of the bible that we like. For instance (no mercy!):

If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.

Leviticus 20:10

Or another favorite(incest!):

30 Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave. 31 One day the older daughter said to the younger, "Our father is old, and there is no man around here to lie with us, as is the custom all over the earth. 32 Let's get our father to drink wine and then lie with him and preserve our family line through our father." 33 That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and lay with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up. 34 The next day the older daughter said to the younger, "Last night I lay with my father. Let's get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and lie with him so we can preserve our family line through our father." 35 So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went and lay with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up. 36 So both of Lot's daughters became pregnant by their father. 37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab [1] ; he is the father of the Moabites of today. 38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi [2] ; he is the father of the Ammonites of today.

Genesis 19:30-38

Wang cut off? Sorry about your luck!:

1 He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord. 2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the Lord.

Deuteronomy 21:1

Stone the whore!!!:

13 If any man take a wife, and go in unto her, and hate her, 14 And give occasions of speech against her, and bring up an evil name upon her, and say, I took this woman, and when I came to her, I found her not a maid: 15 Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate: 16 And the damsel's father shall say unto the elders, I gave my daughter unto this man to wife, and he hateth her; 17 And, lo, he hath given occasions of speech against her, saying, I found not thy daughter a maid; and yet these are the tokens of my daughter's virginity. And they shall spread the cloth before the elders of the city. 18 And the elders of that city shall take that man and chastise him; 19 And they shall amerce him in an hundred shekels of silver, and give them unto the father of the damsel, because he hath brought up an evil name upon a virgin of Israel: and she shall be his wife; he may not put her away all his days. 20 But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: 21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.

Deuteronomy 22:13-21

The bible is the word of man, and their ideas/misperceptions of what god would tell them.

Z

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Horus.........

older. Innana.

Including the self sacrifice of a God(dess) to redeem a mortal. Dumzi her lover.

but spiritual plagiarism is VERY common through out the history of human religious belief.

ime here, elsewhere on the internet and in RL, most born again Christians can rarely be bothered to read a single (their own) text very thoroughly, much less make any attempt to study Humanities sum total Divine Expression. much of which has been intentionally destroyed by.... drum roll please.... the Christians!

He was just a man. Sorry to let you down.

just as yours was only a carpenter...

get over it...

I'm sorry, does my belief that Jesus is the son of God offend you?
I won't get over it.:)

no your belief doesn't offend me in the slightest.

the belief itself is merely primitive and your personal expression of it would be both amusing and actually helpful socially, IF there were not so many, easily scared humans, so easily lead by those willing to abuse that same willingness to believe..[:/]

However "your" assertion that ALL other beliefs are incorrect because 'yours' is "True":S, and 'your' Religion's ongoing and historical persecution; the bloodshed, death and blatant, unapologetic cultural destruction. All carried out (and continued socially everyday as illustrated by Christian intolerance (legislated even) for any other belief or lifestyle) in the name of spreading "the Word" IS highly offensive....

"come down, get off your fuckin cross. we need the fuckin space to nail the next fool up...."

THE BIBLE CANNOT BE USED TO PROVE ITSELF OR ITS "DIVINE" INSPIRATION

The Bible isn't just one book. It's 66 different ones which validate each other.

particularly with a belief and and agenda to promote that belief.

there IS NO conspiracy theory, there was OUTRIGHT INTENT to align "the text" (and therefore (re)create the modern "Word of God" with WHAT THEY BELIEVED.

imagine if you will, a group of men, (a very small number really, all perfectly committed, most of their lives and livelihood in the pursuit, protheltizing their growing religion, all perfectly willing to die for their belief) were to collect every available religious writing (because btw they represent a significant portion of the living literate people as well) and cull them for 'clarity'.

Are you willing to accept that result as an 'unbiased' text?

let us next imagine these men were NOT Christians....

please.

you say you want proofthat jesus is a myth, every timeyou pick up the astro-theological myth book you blindly rever. YOU FIRSTMISTAKEISTHAT ITIS "THE WORD OF GOD" the fact that you say NOTHING CAN SHAKE YOUR BELIEF proves how afraid you are of the truth that has been known since the start of your "faith". my offer still stands to you windcatcher.

FREE YOUR BEAUTIFUL MIND