warpedskydiver

Iranian Military

You are a citizen of a country that spends most of its citizen’s money on getting more weapons.

Bullshit.

At the same time the US is under no threat of invasion from any of it’s neighbors.

There are plenty of other reasons to have Armed Forces, besides repelling invasions from neighbors. Oh, and we are deterring trouble from neighbors on behalf of others, like in South Korea. So you're wrong on two counts.

We choose to have more weapons over having free health care, and free higher education for our own citizens.

If we gave up our Armed Forces, we still wouldn't have free health care or college, because we would be taken over by some other evil country, who sure as hell wouldn't provide it for us. I don't see Russia, China or Iran doing such a great job in those respects.

Yea, I hear Panama is just biding its time for a little pay back!:D:D:D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Correction they want to destroy Israel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh, ok. so now its acceptable...
let them have their nukes

I'm with you Ori. I am completely stymied by how many people could just ignore such a blatant statement from a world leader.:S

Chris

At the same time the US is under no threat of invasion from any of it’s neighbors.

You obviously have underestimated Canadia.

:D

Ah yess.....the legal pot in BC will destroy Americans by causing stupidity and and craving for Mc Donalds
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

Ever noticed that the US fits all the political science criteria of a fascist society? http://www.uncommonthought.com/mtblog/archives/052204-fascism_usa.php

"People in the US look to Nazi Germany as the modern example of fascism. People need not look so far."

Wanna be my blockwart?

Anyone here ever noticed all the Nazi like mannerisms they have?...goose stepping, Weapon crazy, wanting to destroy the Jews...ect.

The first wave will be our beer trucks. Thousands of them.( stealth trucks)( our newest weapon. don't tell anyone) Then we air drop the best Canadian buds we grow.( well maybe not the best) After a sustained attack like this which would last over a long weekend we would have sufficiently weakened your forces to the point where you would be easly overrun. All apposing troups would all be too hung over to attempt any counter attack. Then the world will be ours. (evil laugh):D
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

The strengthsecurity of a country relies on it's ability to wage wardefend itself. We can't stop Iran from having nukes without going to war or a regime change so it looks like another war in on the way... unless Iran gets nukes first & becomes uninvadable. If we can't defeat them we'll have to call them "Part of The Solution"!

... ... Force has never changed anyone. Envy has worked loads of times.

Qaddafi might disagree with you on that. Syria is out of Lebanon, and, the change is happening in Iraq too.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Ever noticed that the US fits all the political science criteria of a fascist society?

AND... Within the terms of The Nuremburg War Crimes Trials, both the Bush & Blair (& their respective administration /cabinet) would be executed as war criminals!

Of course, Bush & Blair CAN'T be war criminals, can they?[:/]

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Force has never changed anyone. Envy has worked loads of times.

Qaddafi might disagree with you on that. Syria is out of Lebanon, and, the change is happening in Iraq too.

Historically, ANY country which has had an outwardly imposed "regime change" has always developed a resistance force. Prime examples would be Czechslovakia, Poland, Denmark, Holland, Belgium, France & Norway in WWII. Whether they're "Terrorists" or "Plucky Resistance Fighters" depends entirely on whether you agree with their aims!

Qaddafi didn't change as a result of the 1986 US bombing of Tripoli. He changed as a result of diplomacy. Syria didn't leave Lebanon under threat of force of arms, it was diplomatic pressure after their little black operations were exposed!

Like Churchill said: "Jaw Jaw is better than War War." THAT way, each side can tell their people that they've won & made the other side back down.

With Libya, we got ONE "terrorist-bomber" to jail for a few years... They got an apology for a bombing raid (the man who ordered it is dead). Everyone's happy & lets byegones be byegones. PS: Wanna swap some cheap oil for a few of our "not quite latest" guns & planes & missiles?

Syria suddenly found itself like a kid caught with it's hand in the cookie jar. MORAL pressure made it impossible for them to continue to occupy Lebanon - the more so since being caught turned the Lebanese people against them... AND... We all remember just how effective the Lebanese are civil unrest & resistance.

Secular democracy & a regulated free market IS the best performing regime - far better than ANY single party state or command economy. That can be shown by example! Forcing a change on people merely breeds resentment.

Mike.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Qaddafi didn't change as a result of the 1986 US bombing of Tripoli. He changed as a result of diplomacy.

Negative. Qaddafi changed as a result of the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Later that year, Libyan secret agents contacted MI6 and CIA to offer Libyan surrender of nuclear and chemical weapons programs (all far more advanced than anyone guessed).

Syria didn't leave Lebanon under threat of force of arms, it was diplomatic pressure after their little black operations were exposed!

True, however to say it was "diplomatic pressure" was a bit polite in my opinion.

With Libya, we got ONE "terrorist-bomber" to jail for a few years... They got an apology for a bombing raid (the man who ordered it is dead). Everyone's happy & lets byegones be byegones. PS: Wanna swap some cheap oil for a few of our "not quite latest" guns & planes & missiles?

Not the case at all.

Secular democracy & a regulated free market IS the best performing regime - far better than ANY single party state or command economy. That can be shown by example! Forcing a change on people merely breeds resentment.

I agree with the all but the last sentence.

Make light!

Qaddafi didn't change as a result of the 1986 US bombing of Tripoli. He changed as a result of diplomacy.

Negative. Qaddafi changed as a result of the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Not entirely. Qaddafi was under diplomatic and economic pressure and involved in negotiations for many years. The invasion of Iraq was merely the culmination of several streams of pressure on his regime, diplomatic, economic and military.

One of the main (unstated) reasons for the invasion of Iraq was to put pressure on neighbouring Middle Eastern regimes like Saudi Arabia, Syria, Libya, etc. In order to convince them to make internal changes and thereby lessen the degree of support that the jihadists and other terrorist organisations were receiving from those countries.

I agree with the all but the last sentence.

Force can be used to implement change, but you then have to:
a) Sell that change to the local populace
b) Ensure that the change works

If you attempt to force change on an unwilling populace and you don't get their support, then you have to have the remaining threat of force to get that change to stick. The instant you remove that force, the local populace will revolt. This tends to be why invasions of foreign countries never fully work. As long as the local populace retains its own identity and a sense of occupation, they will not co-operate. Convince them that they want what you've got and you'll have them. B|

Gavin

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. If you don't take it out and use it, its going to rust.

Negative. Qaddafi changed as a result of the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Not entirely. Qaddafi was under diplomatic and economic pressure and involved in negotiations for many years. The invasion of Iraq was merely the culmination of several streams of pressure on his regime, diplomatic, economic and military.

One of the main (unstated) reasons for the invasion of Iraq was to put pressure on neighbouring Middle Eastern regimes like Saudi Arabia, Syria, Libya, etc. In order to convince them to make internal changes and thereby lessen the degree of support that the jihadists and other terrorist organisations were receiving from those countries.

Point taken, but to say that the "diplomatic" pressure he was receiving was of any substance is overstating it. There were no significant sanctions in place and Libya's political complex was quietly building the infrastructure for a military doctrine that could have been disasterous. When Qaddafi finally decided to call it quits, he didn't use any diplomatic channels, or the UN, he contacted the UK and US directly. That shows how much the diplomacy really meant in my opinion.
Make light!

My brother in law was a conscript in the Iranian army for 18 months. Judging from his experience and treatment most of the Iranian armed forces are probably trained to be no more than cannon fodder. Pretty much everyone is his company was ill during basic training due to also only given one uniform, then he spent the balance of his time guarding a museum! I assume that the guys in the regular forces are probably trained and equipped to a higher standard than the conscripts, but it is conscripts which make up the majority of the army.

Judging from most of the pictures on the website mentioned above their military hardware is a mish mash of original gear bought in the 70's or copies of stuff which dates back to the 60's and 70's. Maybe numbers would tell but I would put my money on US equipment being superior and more effective in most situations if push comes to shove.