kallend

"Bush approved intelligence leak"

>and again, if the president approved the release then it is NOT a leak.

I guess it depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

It has to be frustrating to want so bad for Bush to be evil. but, it really depends on what the meaning of "leak" is now doesn't it??

As I learn more I am seeing that this is one more "non-story". Fun to watch, I gotta admit

I expect it could be defined as "legal", but it is certainly clear and unambiguous evidence of hypocrisy and lying. Even you will recognize that.

As opposed to "it depends on what the definition of 'is', is"? Definitely a non-story on the hypocrisy scale.

I especially like how the focus has shifted from the Plame "outing" to questioning whether or not what was "leaked" was classified at the time. Guess the "Mao Stream Media" realized that dog wouldn't hunt, eh?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>and again, if the president approved the release then it is NOT a leak.

I guess it depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

It has to be frustrating to want so bad for Bush to be evil. but, it really depends on what the meaning of "leak" is now doesn't it??

As I learn more I am seeing that this is one more "non-story". Fun to watch, I gotta admit

I expect it could be defined as "legal", but it is certainly clear and unambiguous evidence of hypocrisy and lying. Even you will recognize that.

I have some questions that trouble me but, I am not ready to go to the degree you are at. I am watching this story unfold.....
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

they were talking about Plame here right?

and again, if the president approved the release then it is NOT a leak. Is that so hard to understand??

there's something called "oath of office" that all preseidents take.

i'd find it hard to believe that that is consistent with disclosing the
identity of service agents for personal political gain.

Cheers, T

AAAAHHHHHHHHHH

One more time.

The reason that this is not longer being investigated is because no CIA agent was outed. This was a media story at worst.

And it does not even relate to what is going on here
Abraham Lincoln

I'm laughing my ass off as the lefties try to make something out of nothing. You'd think Bush gave Top Secret information to the Chinese or something. :D:D:D

Oh, wait....We did have a President who did that didn't we. ;)

-

That was ok, though, since he was getting blowjobs! :P
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'm laughing my ass off as the lefties try to make something out of nothing.

I will admit that we have NO idea what the -actual- ramifications of giving up Plame cost the U.S. in terms of intel, but it's not a bad guess that anyone she had contact with was probably questioned by their respective governments.

Now, in this country, we don't do "torture" to get people to tell us stuff (or do we?), but it's pretty safe to say that some other countries don't have the same restrictions that we do.

So, yeah, so laugh your ass off.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I will admit that we have NO idea what the -actual- ramifications of giving up Plame cost the U.S. in terms of intel, but it's not a bad guess that anyone she had contact with was probably questioned by their respective governments.

Now, in this country, we don't do "torture" to get people to tell us stuff (or do we?), but it's pretty safe to say that some other countries don't have the same restrictions that we do.

Wow...one of the most non-sequitor posts I've seen in a while. Plame was not undercover and hadn't been for years. Even so, there is no evidence Bush revealed her name. FYI, intel is declassified all the time and any President has the authority to do so.

So go ahead and banter on foolishly if you like.
Me, I'll just laugh as the lefties try to make something out of nothing. :D:D:D:D

Pass the popcorn, please. ;)

BTW, have you actually researched what was contained in the declassified intel? Hardly what I'd call Top Secret information.

-

Wow...one of the most non-sequitor posts I've seen in a while. Plame was not undercover and hadn't been for years. Even so, there is no evidence Bush revealed her name. FYI, intel is declassified all the time and any President has the authority to do so.

Why should it matter how long ago she had been undercover? Repressive foreign governments don't necessarily have a statute of limitations when it comes to rooting out her contacts.

something out of nothing...

declassifying intel to a bunch of reporters to further your own political agenda.

they outed specifics from the NIE report, at the time that they did, to the people that they chose, so that information would be published in support of their own personal political agenda.

something out of nothing?
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

something out of nothing...

declassifying intel to a bunch of reporters to further your own political agenda.

they outed specifics from the NIE report, at the time that they did, to the people that they chose, so that information would be published in support of their own personal political agenda.

something out of nothing?

Yep, something out of nothing...Total non-starter. You actually believe this isn't done by all politicians? You really believe Clinton didn't do the same and worse? Giving Top Secret Classified info to the Chinese went nowhere and this won't either. Nice try though....a perfect example of........

................Parachute failed to open. :D:D:D

...and you fell for it. :D:D:D

Save your rightous indignation for something that matters. ;)

-

But we are supposed to take your word for it that he would NEVER stoop so low as to Wire Tap Americans that have a different political leaning than you and your cronies do. oh no the rePubicans would NEVER do that now would you....

But selectively "declassifying" intel for political purposes has happened here.... you guys still think that is ok.. just as long as its you doing it.

The Imperial Presidency is back I suppose....although its rapidly devolving into the Little Dictator.

You really believe Clinton didn't do the same and worse?

I have no idea if the two are comparable, but let's stipulate it for argument's sake. You ran in circles, screamed, and shouted when Clinton did it. But when Bush does it you can't make excuses fast enough for him.

So stipulating they're the same thing as you suggest, the difference in your personal reaction shows that principle, justice, truth, and law have no place in your judgement.

Not that anyone here thought otherwise, but it's nice to have such a clear demonstration.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

But we are supposed to take your word for it that he would NEVER stoop so low as to Wire Tap Americans that have a different political leaning than you and your cronies do. oh no the rePubicans would NEVER do that now would you....

Please provide evidence this has happened.

The Imperial Presidency is back I suppose....although its rapidly devolving into the Little Dictator.

Thank you for your continued contribution to my amusement. :D:D

-

Sunday, April 9, 2006 1:25 p.m. EDT
Wash Post: Nothing Wrong with Bush 'Leak'

The Washington Post has broken ranks with the rest of the press over the media fiction that President Bush's recently revealed decision to authorize Lewis "Scooter" Libby to leak prewar Iraq intelligence somehow constitutes a new scandal.

In a stunning editorial headlined "The Good Leak," the Post said Sunday:

"There was nothing illegal or even particularly unusual about [Bush's decision]; nor is this presidentially authorized leak necessarily comparable to other, unauthorized disclosures that the president believes, rightly or wrongly, compromise national security."

Instead, the paper says that, if anyone has behaved unethically in the entire Leakgate fiasco, its Bush's accuser, former Iraq ambassador Joe Wilson:

"Mr. Wilson originally claimed in a 2003 New York Times op-ed and in conversations with numerous reporters that he had debunked a report that Iraq was seeking to purchase uranium from Niger and that Mr. Bush's subsequent inclusion of that allegation in his State of the Union address showed that he had deliberately 'twisted' intelligence 'to exaggerate the Iraq threat.'"

But as the Post notes: "The material that Mr. Bush ordered declassified established, as have several subsequent investigations, that Mr. Wilson was the one guilty of twisting the truth. In fact, his report supported the conclusion that Iraq had sought uranium."

The Post says that Leakgate prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald has provided additional evidence of the Bush accuser's duplicity.

"Mr. Wilson subsequently claimed that the White House set out to punish him for his supposed whistle-blowing by deliberately blowing the cover of his wife, Valerie Plame, who he said was an undercover CIA operative . . . [But] after more than 2 1/2 years of investigation, Mr. Fitzgerald has reported no evidence to support Mr. Wilson's charge."

Predictably, the Post's dismissal of the latest Leakgate "bombshell" didn't rate a single mention on the Sunday chat shows, which instead continued to cover the development as earth-shattering news.

Oh ya....found this on Newsmax........and a few other places like the Posts site!!
Abraham Lincoln

Oh, you mean like the time the Florida couple taped a conversation between Gingrich and Delay?

So how did those evil Democrats manage to do that...

DUDE.. you fully support the sleaze factor that you and your cronies have been shovelling out to the American people.. I guess its time for the truth to show just what kind of people you REALLLY are in this administration.

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=16701

D.C. Circuit rules against McDermott in taped-call dispute

By The Associated Press
WASHINGTON — A federal appeals court has ruled that Rep. Jim McDermott, D-Wash., violated federal law by turning over an illegally taped telephone call to reporters nearly a decade ago.

In a 2-1 opinion yesterday, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia upheld a lower court ruling that McDermott violated the rights of House Majority Leader John Boehner, who was heard on the 1996 call involving former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

The court ordered McDermott to pay Boehner more than $700,000 for leaking the taped conversation. The figure includes $60,000 in damages and more than $600,000 in legal costs.

McDermott leaked a tape of a 1996 cell-phone call involving Gingrich to The New York Times and other news organizations.

The call included discussion by Gingrich, R-Ga., and other House GOP leaders about a House Ethics Committee investigation of Gingrich. Boehner, R-Ohio, was a Gingrich lieutenant at the time and now is House majority leader.

A lawyer for McDermott had argued that his actions were allowed under the First Amendment, and said a ruling against him would have "a huge chilling effect" on reporters and newsmakers alike.

Lawyers for 18 news organizations — including ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, the Associated Press, The New York Times and The Washington Post — filed a brief backing McDermott.

But Boehner's lawyers said McDermott's actions were clearly illegal.

By leaking the tape McDermott "chilled the free speech of others," namely Boehner and Gingrich, lawyer Michael Carvin said.

In a written statement, McDermott said he disagreed with the majority ruling.

"My position rightly defends freedom of the press and free speech in America," he said. "The American people have a right to know when their government's leaders are plotting to deceive them, and that is exactly what was happening during a telephone call in 1996 involving Republican House leaders."

His lawyers are studying the decision and will decide whether to appeal, McDermott said.

Boehner hailed the ruling but said he expected the case would go to the Supreme Court. He said he had spent between $600,000 and $700,000 in legal fees, but has made many efforts to resolve the issue out of court.

Boehner said he spoke directly with McDermott three years ago and offered to drop his civil suit if McDermott promised to admit he was wrong, apologize to the House and donate $10,000 to charity.

"We could never come close to an agreement," Boehner said.

Boehner said he renewed talks through intermediaries last summer with similar results.

Boehner, who was elected majority leader last month, has highlighted the case several times in public remarks, even calling on the long-dormant House Ethics Committee to make his complaint against McDermott its first investigation of the year.

The case stems from a tape that a Florida couple made in December 1996 and gave to McDermott the following month.

McDermott, then the ranking Democrat on the ethics panel, leaked the tape to the Times and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, which printed partial transcripts in January 1997.

Gingrich was later fined $300,000 and reprimanded by the House; he resigned his seat in November 1998. The Florida couple, John and Alice Martin, pleaded guilty to unlawfully intercepting the call and were each fined $500. McDermott resigned his seat on the ethics committee.

He was never charged with a criminal offense, but Boehner later filed a lawsuit accusing McDermott of violating state and federal wiretapping laws. A federal judge ruled in Boehner's favor in 2004, a ruling that was upheld yesterday by the appeals court.

"Because there was no genuine dispute that Representative McDermott knew the Martins had illegally intercepted the conversation, he did not lawfully obtain the tape from them," Judge A. Raymond Randolph wrote in an opinion shared by Chief Judge Douglas H. Ginsburg.

In a strongly worded dissent, Judge David B. Sentelle called the majority ruling "fraught with danger." Just as McDermott knew the phone call had been illegally taped, so, too, did the newspapers that printed it, Sentelle said. Under the majority ruling, "no one in the United States could communicate on this topic of public interest because of the defect in the chain of title," he said.

Still no evidence to support your claim Bush is taping innocent Americans. I thought not. At least I can back up what I claim.

Still no evidence to support your claim Bush is taping innocent Americans. I thought not. At least I can back up what I claim.

Anything to deflect attention away from your boss and idol....sheesh
The Congressman should be prosecuted.. BUT Gingrich should also be since this is clearly a case of whistle blowing on someone you LOVE then its just ok the does what ever he wants..so it should warrent what the Death penalty????

So what you are saying is.. your BOSS our malevolent dictator... can do anything he wants...because he is the President.. and he declassified information so he could politically smear an opponent... and you believe this is the American Way.

By your determination... he can have whoever he wants bugged.. and you REALLLLLY trust your boss not to use the imformation against political opponents.... MAN you guys from the Nixon School of political shenanigans are some real piece of work.

I guess all of us better get on board your Kool Aid Express and not be labeled dissidents ....SIEG HEIL Herr Reichsminister.

Here is a website you really should wiretap.. and have shut down.
http://bushwatch.com/weiner.htm

Anything to deflect attention away from your boss and idol....sheesh
The Congressman should be prosecuted.. BUT Gingrich should also be since this is clearly a case of whistle blowing on someone you LOVE then its just ok the does what ever he wants..so it should warrent what the Death penalty????

So what you are saying is.. your BOSS our malevolent dictator... can do anything he wants...because he is the President.. and he declassified information so he could politically smear an opponent... and you believe this is the American Way.

By your determination... he can have whoever he wants bugged.. and you REALLLLLY trust your boss not to use the imformation against political opponents.... MAN you guys from the Nixon School of political shenanigans are some real piece of work.

I guess all of us better get on board your Kool Aid Express and not be labeled dissidents ....SIEG HEIL Herr Reichsminister.

Yep, and if I could make Monkey's fly out of my ass, I'd be rich. :D

-

The fact that websites like that exist belies your whole paranoid stance on free speech and privacy.

Furthermore, the fact that noisy anti-Bush people like you aren't (and won't be) disappearing in the middle of the night also belies your ridiculous position.

Quite a conundrum you've got going there.

. . =(_8^(1)

Give it a couple years..

And what would you and the other Bush and Co supporters actually do about it once it does happen???

I am betting you will be right in there with the appropriate party insignia proudly displayed.[:/]

The sad thing is I'm beginning to think you really believe this kind of stuff. In the past I just wrote it off as part of a cacophony of Bush-bashing.

Perhaps it's time to step back a little?

-

and you REALLLLLY trust your boss not to use the imformation against political opponents....

Does any of this ring a bell? You know, the 900 some-odd FBI files on political opponents that just happened to end up in the Clinton White House?

How about the illegal IRS audits of Gennifer Flowers, Paula Jones, Juanita Broadrick and Elizabeth Gracen, among others?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706