warpedskydiver

HS teachers and the Indoctrination of our youth

If you are so worried about what is being taught go get a teaching certificate and teach yourself ;)

That goes for everyone on both sides of this arguement.

This Teacher is on leave since he did not provide a chance for an equal rebutal, nothing else. It did'nt matter what his opinion was on, but because he didn't put out the other viewpoint that is the only issue here.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2108279#2108279

once again: it is inappropriate for any teacher, regardless of the opinion.

You and Mike are proposing something that not only impedes the learning process, but is completely impossible. You can't remove the human element from the class room without removing the humans.

:S i give up. carry on grasshopper...carry on. you are either arguing for the sake of arguing or you have no comprehension of what we're saying. either way, good luck.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2108279#2108279

once again: it is inappropriate for any teacher, regardless of the opinion.

You and Mike are proposing something that not only impedes the learning process, but is completely impossible. You can't remove the human element from the class room without removing the humans.

Bullshit - their job is to impart information, not opinion

What information? Does someone have to decide that?

If you are so worried about what is being taught go get a teaching certificate and teach yourself ;)

That goes for everyone on both sides of this arguement.

This Teacher is on leave since he did not provide a chance for an equal rebutal, nothing else. It did'nt matter what his opinion was on, but because he didn't put out the other viewpoint that is the only issue here.

Not really. If his opinion was "acceptable" to the family that took the recording to the media, this would not be happening at all. Lots of spin on this, but it comes down to a guy who disagrees with a teacher's opinion. Shame really.

The Parents complained because of the viewpoint, the administration had to suspend him because of the equal time clause. It could just have easily been an arguement the other way and the school would to had to react the same. If Equal time was presented then opinions are allowed to be exercised.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Please show where opinion and/or rhetoric has a place in a high school curriculum outside of debate class.

Be sure to show examples.

You can't discuss history, current events, or government without either, not at the high school level. Maybe in the 4th grade it's acceptable to have a singular, santized view of the world, but even a mediocre high school should be doing better. I think it's great that they talk about the state of the union address, even in a geography class. Politics really aren't outside the purvey of geography, btw. Japan went on a war of conquest in the 30s because of geography. America is a superpower because of geography.

I recall discussing the notion of the Imperial Presidency in my senior year. It was very relevent to talk about recently departing president Reagan in that discussion. Can't have that sort of discussion without a lot of opinion entering. And that is fine. Even in Orange County where many of the students won't agree with a history teacher on the matter.

The problem would stem from a teacher that won't allow real discussion/debate. I knew one of the history teachers that I didn't have was like this, and also that his class failed the AP test at a much higher rate than mine.

Anything is possible.... but obviously the students were upset over SOMEthing that was said.

A student.... one... who recorded him because the teacher does not suscribe to his particular viewpoint. I listened to the student this morning on Fox News..

Kinda reminded me of how the students were required to report on thier teachers in 1930's Germany..

If his opinion was "acceptable" to the family that took the recording to the media, this would not be happening at all. Lots of spin on this, but it comes down to a guy who disagrees with a teacher's opinion. Shame really.

Not just one guy that disagreed. The teacher's boss disagreed. I am so glad that liberals think that so few would find his rant objectionable.

The teacher was doing much more than voicing his opinion. He was preaching on his soapbox, preaching a lot of crap.

If the left wants to defend this guy, I think that would be wonderful! :ph34r:

What is also wonderful is that a kid knew that he was full of shit. Not all kids have a skull full of mush.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Anything is possible.... but obviously the students were upset over SOMEthing that was said.

A student.... one... who recorded him because the teacher does not suscribe to his particular viewpoint. I listened to the student this morning on Fox News..

Kinda reminded me of how the students were required to report on thier teachers in 1930's Germany..

Did you listen to the recording? Not just the short clip that made some TV/radio news, but the 4+ min clip I linked? I think the full recording is much longer, I would like to hear all of it.

The kid is a critical thinker, I understand how that is threatening to liberals.

Again, I am happy that liberals are eager to defend his right to teach this in the public school classroom.

What is your avatar?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The Parents complained because of the viewpoint, the administration had to suspend him because of the equal time clause. It could just have easily been an arguement the other way and the school would to had to react the same. If Equal time was presented then opinions are allowed to be exercised.

Really? What if it was a pro-Bush rant? Do you honestly believe anyone would say the teacher hasn't spent enough time being critical of American foreign policy? This is the third teacher in CO something like this has happened to in the last year or so. Not one of them was criticized for being "pro-America".

Nothing wrong with being on either side. Saying you can't have an opinion is not only unrealistic, it prevents students from learning to form opinions as well.

The kid is a critical thinker, I understand how that is threatening to liberals.

The teacher is a critical thinker, I understand how that is threatening to conservatives.

I think our children need to listen to all sides of an issue...THEN you have critical thinking skills develop... not little propogandists who will run and report to the authorities when they hear something not approved by the Reichstag.

Dude, have you actually heard what he said? Saying that some have compared Bush to Hitler is not the same as endorsing the viewpoint. Me thinks you're being a bit quick to judge here... :)

I heard a decent chunk of the tape when Rush Limbaugh's standing Roger something played it yesterday. The guy did indeed sound like a shrill, hate-filled whining malcontent liberal looking to bash Bush but more importantly, he sounded like he was as anti-American as they come.

Maybe he should be looking for a teaching job in France. >:( Maybe Alec Baldwin can help him out...

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

BWAAAHAHAHA! :D never fails...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

He was hired to teach a subject, not to sermonize to a captive audience. A rather large difference, don't you think?

:D:D:D

See?

You left out a third possibility, and that is that some people will spend the entire thread trying to convince us that those who feel a geography teacher ought to fuckin' teach geography and get that job done are distracting from the point that the teacher is "trying to get people thinking."

If they were in a philosophy class, that might be valid. You yourself are one of those picking only timidly at the meat of the issue.

Could you explain to us why parents of this "teacher's" students should not be angry that he is delivering political invective instead of teaching them the subject of geography? He was outside his purview; there are no two ways about that.

-
-Jeffrey

Not just one guy that disagreed. The teacher's boss disagreed. I am so glad that liberals think that so few would find his rant objectionable.

This didn't happen just yesterday. The school didn't react until the story started growing legs.

The teacher was doing much more than voicing his opinion. He was preaching on his soapbox, preaching a lot of crap.

The student's family is doing what exactly?

If the left wants to defend this guy, I think that would be wonderful! :ph34r:

Utter shame that it always has to come to right and left. What ever happened to right and wrong?

What is also wonderful is that a kid knew that he was full of shit. Not all kids have a skull full of mush.

Wait a minute. The kid thinks the teacher is full of shit (I heard the kids dad in an interview and I know he is the one who is really behind all this, not the kid). That means the kid has gone to class, done his lessons, gained knowledge, listened to the opposite point of view and concluded that the opinion of the teacher is the wrong opinion based on his own knowledge?
BTFU!
That sounds like the kid is getting an education.

Again, not that anyone actually cares about the whole education thing, its obvious which side you fall on and its only because your opinion is like minded. That seems awfully hypocritical to me.

Psst.. typically teaching Geography does'nt take 36 weeks at 5 hours a week to learn. ;) Geography is usually lumped with some general history, some Civics and current events topics at a middle school age and then that is replaced by Government classes in HS.

Edited since my fingers were'nt listening to where I wanted the keys hit. :D
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I love our president, dont love everything he has done but I stand by him.

And to me this teacher does not deserve to lose his job because he said "some people compare ..." At the highschool level kids are smart enough to either agree or disagree, and a teachers remark will not change their mind...

You have got to be kidding.

And if high school kids are this smart, worldly, wise... why is it that when one of them decides to pick up a gun and kill someone, suddenly bleeding hearts come out of the woodwork trying to convince us that he was a virtual retard by virtue of being "so young," and couldn't possibly have formed criminal intent to murder while so innocent and young? :S

Some people clearly want to have it both ways.

some will voice their opinions and some dont give a shit. Its not like he commited treason. Why was the kid recording the lecture in highschool? I think this is out of hand and not worth someones job.

Is there something wrong with recording a lecture? People do that. Sometimes they use the recording to make notes later on. Some kids don't "get" the lesson the first time around. Are you implying that the kid did something wrong?

As I heard it, the class was geography, or at least Bennish is a geography teacher. Why was he talking about the state of the union address? Why? Because like so many other hate- and vitriol-filled liberals, he lacks the self-control to decide when it is appropriate to spew his venom against the United States.

Did you listen to any of the recording? What I heard on the Rush Limbaugh radio program was sickening. It was not simply a statement that "some people compare Bush to Hitler." It went far beyond that.

Besides, the school policy about fair, balanced viewpoints is likely something the teacher was informed of, and whatever the school policy is for punishing a teacher for breaking that policy is what should guide it. If that's losing his job, so be it. Outside of the school policy, I don't believe that such a teacher belongs in a high school classroom, and I would not mind in the least if his bias cost him his job.

-
-Jeffrey

Find the entire tape, not just the parts that have been edited up by the news or some program before making your decisions. Is'nt someone always complaining about taking sentences or paragraphs out of context since they are snipped from the overall conversation?
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

The difference is you don't agree with the opinion. If you did you would take the exact opposite position.

no, that's incorrect. the difference is that in the setting of being a HS history teacher, one needs to be impartial and needs to discuss issues with the goal of furthering knowledge, fostering rational thought, and instilling excitement about learning. that's not what this teacher did. he used his position to shape his students viewpoint to match his own. i would say that's wrong no matter what the opinion of the teacher is/was.

You disagree with the opinion?
End of discussion.

Nice. You are essentially calling tcnelson a liar, because he quite clearly stated that he would say it's wrong to spew vitriolic bias no matter what the opinion of the teacher is/was.

Clearly he said that he would oppose even a conservative using his classroom as a bully pulpit, yet you are again accusing him of bias. I guess he should just give up trying to convince you, since you're already insulting him by calling him a liar, and clearly you won't believe him no matter how hard he protests.

-
-Jeffrey

Could you explain to us why parents of this "teacher's" students should not be angry that he is delivering political invective instead of teaching them the subject of geography? He was outside his purview; there are no two ways about that.

-

That's not the issue at all, although it is a good point as to whether it is within the context of that class at all. No one seems to be saying that. The family doesn't have an issue with the fact that politics are being presented. They have an issue with the fact that they disagree with those politics. The only real problem with that is if they agreed with the opinion presented, the teacher would not be in this position. If the issue was merely whether the lecture had anything to do with the class, the reaction would be different. In that case, (if this was a class completely unrelated to politics) I would say the teacher was not doing his job and the recording would very obviously support that.

Did you listen to any of the recording? What I heard on the Rush Limbaugh radio program was sickening. It was not simply a statement that "some people compare Bush to Hitler." It went far beyond that.

You listen to Rush? You're obviously a hate-monger multi-phobe!

I don't think Rush played very much of the diatribe, I posted a link to over 4 minutes of it - would still like to hear the whole thing:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2108328#2108328

It is so cool that liberals want to defend him! B|:D We should stop trying to convince them to stop!

Please show any posts that have said "he should be fired because he spoke out against the President".

Go ahead and look...we'll wait.

Oh, you can't find a post saying that? Maybe that's because the other posters are saying it's HIS JOB to a specific lesson plan, not give the students his opinion of ANY political administration or their policies.

Wipe all the lipstick you want on that pig.
Fact is, you would turn completely around if you agreed with the message. You can keep dancing around it, but not admitting it is less than honest.

There you go again, essentially calling him a liar. >:(

What is it about a person's words on the screen that you can't take them at face value?

I'll bet if he were a left-winger, you would not leap to assume that a statement of his position is a statement of his position. :S Now who's biased?

-
-Jeffrey

Hey... why not take Godwins Law and put it where the sun dont shine...

If our government is going down that road and you do not wish to acknowlegde it.. that makes the people of this country no better than the vast majority of Germans in the 1930's.

The difference is you don't agree with the opinion. If you did you would take the exact opposite position.

no, that's incorrect. the difference is that in the setting of being a HS history teacher, one needs to be impartial and needs to discuss issues with the goal of furthering knowledge, fostering rational thought, and instilling excitement about learning. that's not what this teacher did. he used his position to shape his students viewpoint to match his own. i would say that's wrong no matter what the opinion of the teacher is/was.

You disagree with the opinion?
End of discussion.

Nice. You are essentially calling tcnelson a liar, because he quite clearly stated that he would say it's wrong to spew vitriolic bias no matter what the opinion of the teacher is/was.

Clearly he said that he would oppose even a conservative using his classroom as a bully pulpit, yet you are again accusing him of bias. I guess he should just give up trying to convince you, since you're already insulting him by calling him a liar, and clearly you won't believe him no matter how hard he protests.

-

Actually, I was calling him completely unrealistic, which I don't really believe to be true. I really believe if the teacher was making a pro-American foreign policy rant he would have absolutely no problem with that opinion. That would make him a hypocrite, which is probably more accurate.

I contend that you don't know that as a fact, and you should not call us liars.

Have you listened to it yet?

Of course. It is not something I would characterize as "spewing hate". ... If you are going to tell me Fox News would have this on if this was a spirited pro-Bush rant, I call bullshit.

So now the issue is not the story but who reported the story.

Who is making this an issue of bias, again? :S

If you're going to tell me your opinion of this whole thing would be exactly the same if this was a pro-Bush rant, again, I call bullshit.

You are really good at calling people liars,
but piss-poor at proving it.

-
-Jeffrey