Shotgun

Do you oppose same-sex marriage for religious reasons?

I didn't read all of the article, but clearly there is a LOT of misrepresentations of Evangelicals. The author can't just go around quoting things as facts that aren't:S.
I happened to hear the testimony of one man ( at my church) who was previously homosexual, and basically went through puberty twice...meaning the second time around he had the feeling and attraction to women. He used to be homosexual and eventually became heterosexual. He told his story about how he didn't have a good father figure growing up and relates that to his homosexuality. I really would like to see some studies of what the absence of a good father can bring in the lives of children and if/how that affects their sexuality at all.

The author has no right to say things like

Every straight marriage that includes a gay husband is one Web-browser-history check away from an ugly divorce.

and

("Gay activist" is a term evangelicals apply to any homosexual who isn't a gay doormat.

:S:S:S

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I really would like to see some studies of what the absence of a good father can bring in the lives of children and if/how that affects their sexuality at all

I grew up in a house with no father figure at all. Dad was running around with whatever woman he was married to at the time (there were 4). I was however, raised by my mother and her girlfriend in a lesbian household. Most adults I knew as a child were homosexual. I have marched in many a gay rights parade. After all of that, guess what, I am straight. Imagine that.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

If you read some of the research that's been done on sexual orientation (Kinsey in particular), you'll find that most people fall somewhere in the middle of the scale, rather than completely hetero or completely homosexual. The majority of people fall into 1-5 rather than 0 or 6.
However, that doesn't mean it's a choice. You don't consciously choose who you're attracted to.

I was once a therapist and I knew MANY who in public "professed" the party line of their professional organizations that "homosexuality is NOT a disorder but in the muffled tones of break rooms and behind closed doors, they often voiced that they did still believe that, in fact, homosexuality simply wasn't right.

I don't have much respect or use for the opinions of therapists who will publicly claim that something is NOT a mental disorder when they truly believe that it IS; they are doing a disservice to their entire profession. And if they do not have evidence from empirical research to show that homosexuality is truly a mental disorder then I would guess their opinion is coming from their own preconceived and biased ideas of how things "should be" anyway.

I was once a therapist and I knew MANY who in public "professed" the party line of their professional organizations that "homosexuality is NOT a disorder but in the muffled tones of break rooms and behind closed doors, they often voiced that they did still believe that, in fact, homosexuality simply wasn't right.

I don't have much respect or use for the opinions of therapists who will publicly claim that something is NOT a mental disorder when they truly believe that it IS; they are doing a disservice to their entire profession. And if they do not have evidence from empirical research to show that homosexuality is truly a mental disorder then I would guess their opinion is coming from their own preconceived and biased ideas of how things "should be" anyway.

And that about sums it up.

Jerks. :ph34r:
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

w/ the world view that adult heterosexual, consentual, monogamous sex is the norm

When and where?

Here and now?

How about other times and other cultures, Michael. Adult heterosexual, consensual, monogamous sex is not the norm.

It is what we've been socialized to in our culture, in our time.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

w/ the world view that adult heterosexual, consentual, monogamous sex is the norm

When and where?

Here and now?

How about other times and other cultures, Michael. Adult heterosexual, consensual, monogamous sex is not the norm.

rl

isn't this like the abortion thing, you know, something you and I shouldn't argue about?

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Adult heterosexual, consensual, monogamous sex is not the norm.

I thought the norm in US culture was adult heterosexual, consensual, pretend-to-be-monogamous sex. :P

Speaking of which, I find it rather bizarre that Bill Clinton of all people was the president to sign the Defense of Marriage Act. :S

When and where?

Here and now?

You just banged the proverbial nail right on the head.

Humans are animals. Sure, some of us are "higher" life forms, but still animals. The urge to procreate doesn't go away with a ring on the finger. The urge to improve our species is as strong as it ever was....well, it changed a little after the invention of beer!

isn't this like the abortion thing, you know, something you and I shouldn't argue about?

Nope. It's not. The statement you made isn't a moral or religious issue, it's world history.

We can argue world history. I checked the list of allowed and not allowed acts, and it was right there.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

rl

Like diamond rings...grrr....and not even that long for diamond ring. Now I am angry.

:ph34r::ph34r:

Baby, I won't ask you for a diamond ring. ;)

rl

Nope. It's not. The statement you made isn't a moral or religious issue, it's world history.

We can argue world history. I checked the list of allowed and not allowed acts, and it was right there.

rl

Actually, it is... and I was talking about MY world view... perhaps I should have been more clear. And the world view of (IMO) a whole lot of others in the western (and probably eastern) hemisphere.

so there. :P

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Actually, it is... and I was talking about MY world view... perhaps I should have been more clear. And the world view of (IMO) a whole lot of others in the western (and probably eastern) hemisphere.

So there, nothin', dude.

But I don't feel like fighting with you today, in spite of the fact that you're sounding a lot like a flat-earther. :S

As a factual matter...oh wait, never mind. I said I wouldn't.

:ph34r:

So there, nothin', dude.

But I don't feel like fighting with you today, in spite of the fact that you're sounding a lot like a flat-earther. :S

go easy, rl...

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

So there, nothin', dude.

go easy, rl...

dude, that WAS easy. You got off light. :ph34r:
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Narc, no need for pity pal! I'm not a "victim". Did you and your Partner get "married" in Portland in 04?

Are you really coming back in here three days after several people asked you to give examples of gay-only rights and STILL not responding?

First Class Citizen Twice Over

go easy, rl...

After that picture you posted in the Bonfire? I'm comin' for ya, Michael. :|

:D:D

ok, just so i can have a hug after the official falling of the axe phone call that occurred 2 hrs and 20 minutes ago... [:/]

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

After all of that, guess what, I am straight. Imagine that.

Yes, but you're also short and green. :S

No one wants us to be taken over by a race of short, green...what are you, anyway? :D:D