kallend

Twice in 5 years: is this too often?

I agreed with the invasion of Afghanistan, and now I find another Bush initiative I agree with:

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/02/AR2006020201056.html

Over the years it has been interesting to watch the effects of reduced or removed/ increased or instituted taxes on different industries and/or products.

I guess this is why the House Ways and Means Committe is such a coveted position. What better way to take care of your friends (or your enemies...)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Oh, come on, Professor. This is but another right-wing bow to the big corporate interests that are filling the administration's pockets, all in an effort to build up the war machine and continue Bush's protection of his oil-buddies and Halliburton.

Big corporations win. The poor, minorities and the environment lose again.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Oh, come on, Professor. This is but another right-wing bow to the big corporate interests that are filling the administration's pockets, all in an effort to build up the war machine and continue Bush's protection of his oil-buddies and Halliburton.

Hey at least some of us can see both sides and admit when we think something is wrong or right no matter what party. I think more people should try to see facts and not be blinded by loyalty don't you think?
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I concur. What is amazing is how believable it is that someobody would post tripe like that which I posted because there are so many out there who truly believe it.

I thought about posting in it that I was being sarcastic, but I decided against it.

But, trust me, if this goes further you'll hear those arguments.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Whoo Hoo! the B-Side wins again! Oops....I mean....uhhhh....yeah, no I really meant it. Hooray for Bush taking care of the oil business! The only reason i can afford to skydive is because of the energy company i work for, and it' sabout time to stand up for the little guy....I mean, stand up for the huge multi-national energy conglomerate. Word.

Grendel Khan-The Official DZ.Com Newbie Forum Nuisance
"They sicken of the calm, that know the storm."

Yes.

H1B visa numbers are not really that restrictive and often companies that use this loophole do so just to pay lower wages to workers that thay can then hold over a barrel wrt their immigration status.

With the (virtually) unlimited ability to hire qualified non-citizens, corporations have less incentive to support US schools and in house training.

I believe that Americans are no better and no worse than non-US citizens and that we should REALLY exhaust our human resources here B4 we rely on non-citizens.

I'm really not against immigration but I have personnally seen this abused, and loosening up will likely exasperate this abuse.

If we need the labor, we shoiuld be prepared to allow them to become full citizens, and keep a few more unqualified illegal immigrants out.
illegible usually

H1B visa numbers are not really that restrictive and often companies that use this loophole do so just to pay lower wages to workers that thay can then hold over a barrel wrt their immigration status.

Less money. Plus, they can't ask for more money or they say, "If it's a problem, go home, we'll get another."

Verizon announced that they will no longer be offering pensions to employees as of June of this year.

Another way to get away from paying pensions is to hire H1B workers for 3 years and never hire them.

With the (virtually) unlimited ability to hire qualified non-citizens, corporations have less incentive to support US schools and in house training.

Verizon used to hire American college students and provide in-house training. The training group no longer exists.

I believe that Americans are no better and no worse than non-US citizens and that we should REALLY exhaust our human resources here B4 we rely on non-citizens.

In large corp environments, the non-US workers seem to get fired at the same rate as US citizens. For the same reasons.

If we need the labor, we shoiuld be prepared to allow them to become full citizens

That was never the point. The US college grads are just as qualified, the corporations don't want employees. I see that in every industry now.

Hospitals and IT are all about contract workers now.
No long-term benefits will save huge cash.

Yes.

I'm really not against immigration but I have personnally seen this abused, and loosening up will likely exasperate this abuse.

If we need the labor, we shoiuld be prepared to allow them to become full citizens, and keep a few more unqualified illegal immigrants out.

Taking a broad view, the US is better off bringing qualified individuals here than outsourcing the entire operation to , because at least it keeps the money in the domestic economy.

In the final analysis, the solution is to make sure that our own education system produces a workforce that is better qualified than the imported workforce. We have not been able to do that for several generations now for a multitude of social and economic reasons. If we are not to fall behind India and China in the long term we need a complete overhaul of the way we do business.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.