stayhigh

Me experiencing Bounce.......

This message goes out to people with just 100 jumps or so. I just experienced my first bounce action yesterday and it sucks. I was one of those people who didn't have respect for gravity and I was a ignorant fool that thought 190sf will not hurt me, besides torn jump suit. When the ground came up to me yesterday, I thought that it was going to be just another slide. But instead I had weirdest sensation, I was thinking Oh F**k~~[:/].
I personally think that number 50-500 are most dangerous jumps, jumper will be cocky, ignorant. At this time, skydivers think they can survive anything and big sized canopy will save you unharmed, but this is far from reality. I felt the ground being cold, and it is very unforgiving. I only post here so people who are just beginning to exploring the canopy won't have to experience ground first hand. Treat your 210 and 190 as if you are riding 88 sf.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Can you tell us a little more about what you did to cause yourself to "bounce"?

Glad to hear that you're not hurt more seriously.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yeah, I broke a leg under a 218 at jump 77. I wasn't cocky, just inexperienced.

It reeeallly reeealy sucked...for 9 months.

Lesson learned?
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

I wish you would have told me you were going to do that...I would have brought a couple of our newbies out to watch and possibly learn.

Kidding aside, glad you didn't do too much damage. Sorry you had to pay a price for the lessons learned.
Maybe, just maybe, someone will take your message to heart.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You still haven't told us much about what happened. So far it seems that you perhaps initiated a 90 degree (toggle?) turn at 150' and you somehow hurt yourself. Someone mentioned getting a wrist looked at.

How badly were you hurt? Did you break a wrist? Did you PLF? Anything else?

My sight got fixated on wind blades, as I was initiating 90 degree front riser turn, I didn't pay attention to the alti. I seriously thought that my canopy will plane out first and that was why I was holding on to my front riser. I didn't do a proper plf, but I think proper plf would've messed me up even more, there is no way my ankle would've been okay if I had hit the ground feet first.
I rotated my body at last moment, and my left side of my shin area hit the ground first followed by my thigh, hip, shoulder then bounce, then split second of canopy flight again, then I some how hit the ground again with left side of my body. Along the way somewhere my arm was limp so I ended up hitting back of my wrist to the ground.
I think I'll be back jumping within 4 weeks as soon as I can grab my toggle and also when I get enough grip power to peel off my reserve.
I think I just have hair line fracture on my wrist, I'm typing this with my right hand only , I can still lift very light things such as remote control for my TV, but anything heavier, sends pain to my brain.....
Surprisingly my first body part that hit the ground seems to be ok..
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

My sight got fixated on wind blades, as I was initiating 90 degree front riser turn, I didn't pay attention...

Called 'Object Fixation Phenomenon'

What you look at, concentrate on, goes to the top of the list
your brain is factoring, as far as decision making concerning variables.
It why motorcycle racers don't 'stare' at an object in the track...they tend to hit it even when they 'know' better.

Awareness is crucial in the sport.
Just another small part of your overall training, keep your observational scan going at all times.
Teach yourself to prioritise the information going into your brain.

The real 'hat trick' here is throwing yourself out of an airplane and then being able to do it again.
You are fortunate in that your injury is minor, take a step back and consider not only what went wrong this time, but what else could have / can go wrong, and address those issues.

If I've learned nothing else in the 30 years I have been jumping, it's that training NEVER stops..and you're never as good as you think you are!

Murphy Lurks!! :)

Good luck.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

as I was initiating 90 degree front riser turn

Hi Mike,

I am at about the same experience level as you and think that my canopy progression is coming along well, but I have never even considered doing a "90 degree front riser turn" on approach.

Looking through these forums, there is a lot of emphasis on wing loading and experience level, and it seems to me that there should be a similar linkage between experience level and types of landing approaches.

Good to hear that the damage was limited and you will be jumping again soon.

Blue Skies
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

I get that all the time.. I keep fixating on the earth.. no matter how hard I try not to hit it, I end up landing right on top of it every time.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I get that all the time.. I keep fixating on the earth.. no matter how hard I try not to hit it, I end up landing right on top of it every time.

Don't have to say you're Canadian, we can tell!
;)

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

I didn't do a proper plf, but I think proper plf would've messed me up even more, there is no way my ankle would've been okay if I had hit the ground feet first.

This makes me think that you don't yet really understand how a PLF is supposed to work. Your knees are great shock absorbers, but it sounds like you totally bypassed them and went straight to solid body parts. When PLFíng you don't want to try to support yourself with your legs, but use them in the collapsing-to-ground process. They'll take some of that force without breaking anything if done right.

My sight got fixated on wind blades, as I was initiating 90 degree front riser turn, [...]

ouch! Did you receive some coaching on performance landings or did you start doing turns by yourself?

My instructor told me to use both risers and train to do that right before doing any turn. I am working on that task for aprox. 80 jumps now and I still not satisfied with the way I perform. (OK, I have to be more careful since I fly a higher WL.)

Glad you did not seriously hurt yourself.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Remember the days when the term 'bounce' meant someone died?
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

I busted a femur at work some time ago, and our new manifest chick rang my other half and told her that I had bounced......that did NOT go down too well!!!

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, and hopefully wiser! Heal well....

BSBD!

-Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

My sight got fixated on wind blades, as I was initiating 90 degree front riser turn, I didn't pay attention to the alti. I seriously thought that my canopy will plane out first and that was why I was holding on to my front riser. I didn't do a proper plf, but I think proper plf would've messed me up even more, there is no way my ankle would've been okay if I had hit the ground feet first.
I rotated my body at last moment, and my left side of my shin area hit the ground first followed by my thigh, hip, shoulder then bounce, then split second of canopy flight again, then I some how hit the ground again with left side of my body. Along the way somewhere my arm was limp so I ended up hitting back of my wrist to the ground.
I think I'll be back jumping within 4 weeks as soon as I can grab my toggle and also when I get enough grip power to peel off my reserve.
I think I just have hair line fracture on my wrist, I'm typing this with my right hand only , I can still lift very light things such as remote control for my TV, but anything heavier, sends pain to my brain.....
Surprisingly my first body part that hit the ground seems to be ok..

Mike you're very lucky. Another guy like you (even had the same name) hooked it in and died up at Taft in October. I may sound old fashioned, but 125 jumps is WAY too soon to be fooling with 90 degree front riser turns.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

My sight got fixated on wind blades, as I was initiating 90 degree front riser turn, I didn't pay attention to the alti.

Hmm.. well, no offense meant here, and my jump numbers are lower than yours, so take my post as it is, but..

Why were you doing front riser turns below 1,000ft? I have always been told, throughout AFF and afterwards, not to make ANY radical turns below 1,000ft. Light toggle turns yes, but front risers??

Once you heal up, do some front riser turns up high... maybe right after you deploy, and check your altitude before the turn, and again after your canopy planes out. You'll be surprised at how much altitude is lost.