Can someone tell me why you need to get drug tested for a non manual/dangerous job

Everyone knows that a programmer's drug of choice is Mountain Dew and Cheetos.

Back in the day, you were allowed to smoke at your desk (I don't smoke). There were people with stacks of printouts on their desk. They'd have 4 empty coffee cups and an ashtray on top of them.

Cigs would roll out of the ashtray and the printouts would have little burn marks on them.

We'd go out drinking after work. About 9pm, beepers would start going off and people going back to work.

"Why are you drinking coffee at this time of night?"
"Once I get off work, I need to be sober enough for the drive home."
:D

Why would some desk jockey need a drug test? Why on earth would what i do in my own personal time and space stop me getting a job i am more than capable of achieving brilliantly at?

I have never been drug tested and can understand SOME places wanting to test me (where i'm in charge of peoples lives, using heavy machinery, am armed, need to drive something, in charge of children etc) but why do some many companies do this? Is in not an infringement on personal freedoms?

I don't take illegal drugs any more but i would consider this highly invasive of my personal freedoms if i couldn't get a job as an accountant at some firm because i liked to smoke a bong at night.

Of course it's an infringement of your freedoms. In fact, you are being forced to prove you are innocent of committing a crime. It's all about control; when you get up in the morning, when and what you eat, what time to take a shit and how long you can spend on the shitter, when you can go home at night, who you may or may not fuck, what propoganda you must watch on your TV set while it spies on your house, and what time and with whom you go to bed at night. And it doesn't have a thing to do with the drugs either, it's just about controlling you and controlling all of us.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Here's one for you guys to gnaw on, the company I work for sends us in/out of Canada routinely to work. For those of us on the US side of the company, after returning from western Canada we are usually put thru the routine piss test. The Canadian side isn't, the UK division isn't only "We the people" get tested. Now Isn't that some S*&t!
-----------------------------------------------------------

Have always wanted to be a social butterfly but now I have the wind beneath my feet.

Here's one for you guys to gnaw on, the company I work for sends us in/out of Canada routinely to work. For those of us on the US side of the company, after returning from western Canada we are usually put thru the routine piss test. The Canadian side isn't, the UK division isn't only "We the people" get tested. Now Isn't that some S*&t!
-----------------------------------------------------------

Does Canada have the same company/employability liability, multi million dollar suits that the US has or not? I figure that could be a factor in this.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

A story I'd like to share about how an insurance company avoided hiring a crappy employee by drug testing before they hired someone....

I used to work with a guy who could be pretty intelligent...that is...when we wasn't completely out of it. He had quite a few exams passed (a big thing in the actuarial world), and it seemed like he knew what he was talking about.

As time went on, he started getting more and more....uhh....entertaining for the rest of us. For example, our move out date for the office had been well known for months. If we wanted to take anything home, we were supposed to bring a box or whatever else. He showed up that day and said, "Ohhhh....we're supposed to be moving out today?" Uhhh....yeah. The signs have been posted about it for months, and we received emails about it everyday for the past week. Then he said, "Ohhh...do you think anyone would notice if I left and went home to get a duffle bag at lunch?" So, at lunch, he disappeared for about three hours, and he came back wearing new clothes, and he had no duffle bag. When he was on whatever he was on, he was often confused (I had to send him the same email three times in a day once.) He would also disappear for hours at a time (not for lunch because he always brought his lunch.)

Like I said, he had a lot of exams passed, and when he wasn't stoned, he seemed pretty intelligent. He failed a drug test when he looked for employment elsewhere. I'm on the fence on how I feel about drug testing. In this case, the company saved themselves an employee that would be less productive because he would be stoned on the job. And, if someone can't stay clean for just one month while job searching, then that says something, too. However, I don't agree that a company should dictate what a person does off the job. Unfortunately, it's happening more and more.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning