Andy9o8

Censorship and Howard Stern

hmm... how can the fcc legitimately claim to have any sort of "jurisdiction" over pay-per-listen radio?

i can understand the desire for "descency" on free, public airways, but something that individuals have to pay for, I'm not so sure I agree w/ here.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Because their lack of jurisdiction over satellite is based on the cable tv situation.

Considering those that voted that in failed to realize the spread of cable to the masses and have publicly spoken out regarding it there's going to be a fight about radio.

From a purely business perspective: If Business A has almost a century of experience and shitloads of money and is controlled by Law B, then Biz A is sure as hell going to use its shitloads of money to ensure that Upstart Biz C has to abide by similar rules, because it fears it's own death.

Of course, Biz A misses the fucking point and is doomed to obsolesence anyway.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

That could possibly be the worst article ever written. The title is "Let the Fight Begin" and by the end of the article, a past FCC chairman is saying there will not be a fight at all.
If I turned that steaming piece of crap in when I was in college, my prof. would have said: I have good news and bad news about that assignment. The good news is you obviously didn't plagiarize it. The bad news is you should have.

>Here's a guy with nothing better to do with his time than to stalk
>Howard Stern and force him off the air.

I think if there ever comes a day where someone is NOT going after Howard Stern, his popularity will decline immensely. Until then, they will keep him popular.

>I haven't really noticed a big 'rebel' faction.

His new symbol is the "fist of rebellion."

When I was in high school, the priests forbade us to see "The Meaning of Life." Which, of course, guaranteed we'd all go and see it. I think a similar mentality is at work here.

I think thats more about his own ego. Maybe thats his schtick to sell more radios because there's no censorship currently.

I dont believe thats why he kept an audience or the primary reason that people who are buying radios so they can hear his show are doing it.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

That's his big public "Fuck You" to the Feds. Doesn't do much to get people to pay 12.95/month. Rebels are cheap bastards.

His fan base came from his ludeness and lack of boundaries, not for his political commentary.

That's his big public "Fuck You" to the Feds. Doesn't do much to get people to pay 12.95/month. Rebels are cheap bastards.

His fan base came from his ludeness and lack of boundaries, not for his political commentary.

12.95 seems a cheap price to pay for not having to listen to commercials (mostly)
illegible usually

hmm... how can the fcc legitimately claim to have any sort of "jurisdiction" over pay-per-listen radio?

Under what Constitutional authority does the FCC even exist? >:(

It may serve a purpose, and it may truly keep the airwaves from being consumed by chaos, but if we needed it so badly, we really ought to have gone about amending the Constitution to grant the fedgov the power to make such an agency.

It would have been easy to argue the need for it, and thus pass the amendment, and then the whole thing would be on the up-and-up.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Stern can be funny at times, especially when interviewing guests.

I did enjoy a lot of the skits on his really old TV show, not the current one which is just his radio show.

but I think he talks way too much about himself, and his life isn't that interesting.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I used to occasionally tune in back when I lived in NY and had a moderate commute. I always snapped off the station in annoyance when the show amounted to nothing more than meaningless blather back-and-forth between the people in the studio. Nothing funny was said. It was just boring as hell.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"