Trent

NY Transit Strike

Don't you all understand that the truly lazy, corrupt class in this society is...

...management of unions, who make their money directly off the backs of their members, without leaving their cushy, wood paneled offices.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Add up car insurance, and other supplies you need to SURVIVE not live just survive you really don’t have shit left.

I lived in Manhattan for 2 years and it's my personal opinion that a car would have been more of a pain in the ass than it was worth. When I did leave the city I was driving Hertz's cars.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

And you have the gall to insult union workers, in particular union workers who make a vast 100 year old system operate safely and smoothly?

Hehehe! I am a member of the same union as Spielberg, Mel Gibson, James Cameron, etc...:P
I would have no issues with unions if they were able to adapt themselves to modern times. I am a union member AND business owner. 4 years ago, "my" union almost took my business down because of contributions MY business did not make on MY behalf for work I performed that wasn't covered under the union category...:S Kinda felt like I was trying to sodomize myself. Hot!
:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

funny working all day for a wage that lets you live in a bottom of the range housing. and all they ask for is a 10% pay rise and they dont get it over 3 years i would go on strike too. if your so happy with what they get payed ask you boss for a pay reduction.or go apply for a job there?

funny these people dont desserve a pay rise, but when you need them ie they go on strike , its like your world has ended , maybe these people should be getting more then 10%, looks like they are the most important people in NY ?

IF YOU DON"T LIKE THE WAY YOUR EMPLOYER TREATS YOU.... wait for it... THEN QUIT!

No one is making them drive a bus...

their starting pay is fine, its more than college grads get starting out... just becasue you drive a bus in Manhattan does not mean you get to live there... Over the last 3 years, my rasie has only been about 10%... talk to you local fulltime professional skydivers, ask them when the last time they got a raise?

They (the MTA workers) are not the most important people in NY, far from it... everyone I talk to up there seem to be making it to work just fine...
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

They (the MTA workers) are not the most important people in NY, far from it... everyone I talk to up there seem to be making it to work just fine...

Also, it's a whole new scene from 1980 now that people can telecommute (which I'm doing right now). The hurt is going to be felt primarily on the people in the tourist business. But it's not the same kind of bargaining leverage as 25 years ago.

Don't you all understand that the truly lazy, corrupt class in this society is the management class of which you seem to be such a proud member?

HAHAHAHAHA... and the rest of the post is now rendered nonsensical!! Good one though.

I'm no fan of management from my days as a corporate rat in NY, but when I realized I didn't like what was going on.... I LEFT!! Get it? I didn't feel that I was ENTITLED to a job where everything had to be my way. They offered me a salary, I took it. 3 years later it got silly, I left. Funny thing was, the biggest raise I got was about 6%, and 3% of that was performance based. Not to mention I didn't qualify for my job by going through a week-long training course... I went to college and spent a lot of time and money.

YES, I have the "gall" to insult unions. You want a good example of the mismanagement and greed you accuse the "management class" of? Look at the unions. Workers work, I don't blame them for that... unless they REALLY do not want to work because 10% raise in 3 years isn't enough when they start a job at $47000/yr with a highschool diploma and weeklong training course.

You know why we get our asses kicked in manufacturing? Because we can't pay the low wages that China or Latin America does. There's more to it than that of course, but to blame it solely on the evil management and greedy stockholders is stupid.

And to everyone who STILL says $47,000/yr in NY isn't enough. BULLSHIT. BULLSHIT. BULLSHIT. Do all the calculating you want. I did it. My friends are still doing it. It isn't really all that hard. Especially if there are 2 wage-earners who are living together, married, whatever.
Oh, hello again!

Just had a new though... I know... exciting...

The businesses affected by this strike should file lawsuits against the union for revenues lost due to the strike, which is illegal to begin with. While I hate to advocate lawsuits, it'd be a nice addition to having all those not willing to come back to work fired. The union is fucking it's members and NY, NY should fuck it right back.
Oh, hello again!

"YES, I have the "gall" to insult unions. You want a good example of the mismanagement and greed you accuse the "management class" of? Look at the unions. Workers work, I don't blame them for that... unless they REALLY do not want to work because 10% raise in 3 years isn't enough when they start a job at $47000/yr with a highschool diploma and WEEKLONG training course."
-----------------------------------------------------------------My union requires a 5 yr. apprenticeship-------------------------------------------------------------------
"You know why we get our asses kicked in manufacturing? Because we can't pay the low wages that China or Latin America does. There's more to it than that of course, but to blame it solely on the evil management and greedy stockholders is stupid."-------------------------------------------------------------------So let's put all our kids to work for 10 cents an hr.----------------------------------------------------

"And to everyone who STILL says $47,000/yr in NY isn't enough. BULLSHIT. BULLSHIT. BULLSHIT. Do all the calculating you want. I did it. My friends are still doing it. It isn't really all that hard. Especially if there are 2 wage-earners who are living together, married, whatever."---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I don't know about NY but here in SoCal I can barely make it on 64K base w/ bennies. AND I"M FUCKING SINGLE. Most us guys won't work a job unless we get extra hrs of OT. ___________________________________________________I do however agree w/ union management being fucked. We were screwed outta $1.6 billion (pension funds) and had to give up our raise this yr. to help pay for it. The Pres. and Sect/Treas. walked away w/ new vehicles and 2 yrs of 6 figure salary>:( Yet to be indicted but the rank and file are pushing hard for it
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

My union requires a 5 yr. apprenticeship

What does that get you? Is it because it's a highly skilled position, or because you just have to jump through the union hoops to get work in your industry? What if you weren't a union member, but had worked in the field as long as you have, would you be worse at your job?

Look, I respect the job that the MTA workers do, but if what they offer isn't enough for people, they should look for more lucrative options. Not that driving a subway or bus isn't frustrating and difficult, but does it take 5 years of training and higher job requirements that other professions? $47K a year is a decent wage for an entry level position in most fields, why shouldn't we ALL go on strike. SOMEONE owes us, well... because we're us? Doesn't float with me.

So let's put all our kids to work for 10 cents an hr.

Or how about you stop buying things from countries that do? Or how about the "morally superior" rest-of-the-world put sanctions on goods manufactured with child and slave-like labor? OR how about we let the market dictate what people get paid for certain jobs, instead of the union? If we're allowed to pay whatever global prevailing wage is for a job, and that's not enough for people in the US... the jobs will move to where people WILL take them. Kinda like the way it is now, but the market is dictating "fair" pricing, not the unions or government.

I don't know about NY but here in SoCal I can barely make it on 64K base w/ bennies. AND I"M FUCKING SINGLE. Most us guys won't work a job unless we get extra hrs of OT.

Sorry to hear that. I know from experience that you can live in NY with $47K/yr. When I decided to get into "less lucrative" endeavors... I moved somewhere where life is MUCH cheaper than NY. If I want to live in a SoHo loft in NY later, I'll have to find a job that will pay me what I feel is necessary to afford that lifestyle. It's not the job's fault.

I do however agree w/ union management being fucked. We were screwed outta $1.6 billion (pension funds) and had to give up our raise this yr. to help pay for it. The Pres. and Sect/Treas. walked away w/ new vehicles and 2 yrs of 6 figure salary Yet to be indicted but the rank and file are pushing hard for it

Good luck getting those bastards in court. Just because I don't agree with the union concept, doesn't mean I think that people in them deserve to get shit on. At this point, how is a union really out for their members' interests anymore than their own (as an organization)? A lot of times, it really seems that the union is acting on its own behalf rather than on that of its membership.
Oh, hello again!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I don't know about NY but here in SoCal I can barely make it on 64K base w/ bennies. AND I"M FUCKING SINGLE. Most us guys won't work a job unless we get extra hrs of OT

According to a relocation calculator, if I made 100K in the DC area (where I am), I would only need 85K to live in San Diego. LA: 89K. Orange: 77K . Not a check of everywhere in SoCal, but a few of the root areas. Even Brentwood I would need 10K less. So, it would appear that the cost of living here is greater than most of there.

And I can CERTAINLY live here just fine on 47K. Hell, I survived here AND went through the student program on less. So, if you are struggling in SoCal on 64K, you may want to reevaluate your budget.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.