riddler

US Fed raises interest rates AGAIN

This graphic is very telling. Over 2 full percentage points in one year. For me personally, this means my HELOC has increased $100 per month in interest since January.

What's the story? Is the economy better now that it was pre-dot-crash? I know financially I'm not better off than I was 4.5 years ago.

Or is the US government needing more cash to support its hobbies?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

This graphic is very telling. Over 2 full percentage points in one year. For me personally, this means my HELOC has increased $100 per month in interest since January.

What's the story? Is the economy better now that it was pre-dot-crash? I know financially I'm not better off than I was 4.5 years ago.

Or is the US government needing more cash to support its hobbies?

Heretic! Being the largest debtor nation in history is a clear sign that the Administration's economic policies are working.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You didn't expect it to sit at 1% forever, did you?

No, and I didn't expect it to increase in one year the same amount as it decreased in over three years. Besides, it was never at 1. Additionally, the real interest rates that we all pay are prime PLUS whatever the financing companies add. 4% fed = 7-8% for most end consumers. Has your salary increased by 8% this year?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

weird. so why do I keep getting all these letters in my mail telling me to re-finance my mortgage, 'cause "rates have never been lower!!"?

Then when I talk to a rep on the phone, and tell her the % rate I got when I refinanced back in 2003, she says, uh, well never mind.:$

WTF is up with that?
:)
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

You don't know how good you've got it, sonny boy.

For a little perspective, you need a longer term historical chart, like the one I've attached below.

Quit your bitching, and be happy that Jimmy Carter isn't President.

You didn't expect it to sit at 1% forever, did you?

No, and I didn't expect it to increase in one year the same amount as it decreased in over three years. Besides, it was never at 1.

Your own citation shows it at 1%. And thanks, John, for finding a graphic that shows that the 'spike' we have now is still lower than it's been in decades.

You do understand what happens when money is too cheap, no? You should also have known that loans based on it would go up.

You can add at least two more hikes to your graphic...the markets are pricing in an almost 100% certainty of another 50bps in hikes. The Fed would almost certainly like to err on the side of overshooting a neutral rate.

Nonetheless, rates, especially long term rates, remain at fairly historic lows.

Finally a statement in SC that everybody can support.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Finally a statement in SC that everybody can support.

There's bound to be someone out there that thought he did a good job...

I just find it extremely amusing that someone here is bitching about interest rates in the 5% range.

I financed my first car at 17%, and bought my first home at 12%. Heck, 5% is heaven!

Spoiled brats.

He did keep spending under control. A recession coupled with the oil shock might not have been the best time for such restraint.

Reaganomics didn't improve the situation much until the second term.

But yeah, I can't even fathom those sort of interest rates. I'd buy all the 30 years I could. I guess we're still paying for them for another few years.

He did keep spending under control. A recession coupled with the oil shock might not have been the best time for such restraint.

Reaganomics didn't improve the situation much until the second term.

But yeah, I can't even fathom those sort of interest rates. I'd buy all the 30 years I could. I guess we're still paying for them for another few years.

Ah, Reagan. USA took 200 years to go the first $1 Trillion in debt, then Reagan added another $ Trillion in 3 years.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.