kallend

64 years ago today

There is so much to be learned. Not only from the war itself, but especially the time between the wars.

I think The Gathering Storm by Churchill should be required reading in schools.

I also think the 1974 series, World at War to be the most intelligent documentary on the tube. With all the patched together, incomplete documentary crap that is on cable now, it is really sad that this series has not been shown in so long. It is not yet available on Netflix either.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

You can buy World at War on DVD, I have the full set and highly recommend it. Best documentary about WW2 ever.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

You can buy World at War on DVD, I have the full set and highly recommend it. Best documentary about WW2 ever.

really ! can you buy it online? i remember this being shown in England in the 70's, i've tried many places to get hold of it

This documentary was the only one to show the true horrors of the death camps.

Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy declared war on the USA, thus drawing the US into the European theater of WWII.

Thereby helping cause to be created for the first time in this country’s history a vast military-industrial complex which thrives here today still. Perhaps we’ll devise some interesting ways to apply what it produces …

Blutarsky 2008. No Prisoners!

How is my post inconsistent with the need to have been involved in WWII?

I apologize. It seemed to be implied.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

One wonders what MAY have happenedhad Hitler & Mussolini Not declared war on the US. Would the US ever have come into the European war?

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

"Would the US ever have come into the European war?"
I think it would have been inevitable.
The US had already been 'supporting' the UK via lend lease.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Absolutely agree. The ONLY thing that lets the documentary down is the fact that they use a very limited set of sound effects for the sound of shooting throughout the entire series. It can become kinda tiresome listening to what sound like the exact same set of shots being fired.

really ! can you buy it online? i remember this being shown in England in the 70's, i've tried many places to get hold of it

This documentary was the only one to show the true horrors of the death camps.

I bought it in Australia. Try online DVD stores. Sure you can buy it somewhere.

I don't agree with your last statement about "the only one to show...".

While "World at War" is clearly the most comprehensive documentary about WW2 (something like 20 hours or so) and was made at a time when most of the key eye witnesses were still alive it is probably not the best one when it comes to give you a full picture of the "machine" behind the holocaust.

There have been some very good documentaries about the Holocaust. The best I have seen in recent times was shown down here a few months ago. It is a series called "Auschwitz inside the Nazi State" and made by the BBC. Here is a web site that tells you more about it:

http://www.pbs.org/auschwitz/

This is most comprehensive documentary series about this issue IMO. I am going to buy it.

BTW contributing to the quality of World at War is that Sir Laurence Olivier is narrating it. What a voice...

PS: World at War is available on e-bay - quite cheap actually. Auschwitzz I have seen on Amazon.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

You've got to admire Hitler in some ways, he was an excellent leader. His speeches at Nuremburg were mezmarising. You don't become that powerful in life without being intelligent (unless you're a "dubya" Bush :D) ok, he may have been a meglomaniac, but who isn't these days ;)

You've got to admire revile Hitler in some ways, he was an excellent idiotic leader who was simultaneously autocratic and incompetent. His speeches at Nuremburg were mezmarising played on German anger at The Versailles Treaty and gave them someone to blame. You don't become that powerful in life without being intelligent telling people what they want to hear (unless you're a "dubya" Bush :D) ok, he may have been a meglomaniac dangerous autocratic fool, but who isn't these days ;)

Wouldn't it be easier & quicker to submit such posts to me & Kallend for editing BEFORE posting?

Mike.:P

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

"Would the US ever have come into the European war?"
I think it would have been inevitable.
The US had already been 'supporting' the UK via lend lease.

Hmmm.... Not quite so sure. There was a very strong isolationist belief in The US, Look at what happened to Woodrow WIlson & THe League of Nations. It was one thing to send salesmen to Britain and quite another to send yer actual troops to actually fight & actually get killed in what was perceived as a European war, NOT an American one! - Remember the saying in Britain at the time was: "America will fight on to the last drop of British Blood & British Money!"

Remember that the attack on Pearl Harbour was an attack on American Soil and thus discredited isolationism as far as the Japanese were concerned. Teh Axis was (correctly) judged incapable of launching any similar attack on The US Atlantic Fleet. Even the earlier attack & sinking of a US warship (forget the name) by a U-Boat didn't draw America into the war.

Mike.

Roosevelt had made a public commitment to stay out of the war, however all bets were off when Japan hit at Pearl Harbour. America had to declare against Japan, and under the terms of the tripartite treaty America then found itself at war with Italy and Germany as well.

This allowed Roosevelt to support Churchill without going against his word to stay out of the war.

Pearl Harbour aside, I maintain that the USA would have been hard pushed to remain neutral, had the war remained basically a 'European affair' they would have been inexorably drawn into it.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

You've got to admire revile Hitler in some ways, he was an excellent idiotic leader who was simultaneously autocratic and incompetent. His speeches at Nuremburg were mezmarising played on German anger at The Versailles Treaty and gave them someone to blame. You don't become that powerful in life without being intelligent telling people what they want to hear (unless you're a "dubya" Bush :D) ok, he may have been a meglomaniac dangerous autocratic fool, but who isn't these days ;)

Wouldn't it be easier & quicker to submit such posts to me & Kallend for editing BEFORE posting?

Mike.:P

:$ yes dad

my dogs got better tits than her :(

Is this better? More to Sir's taste?

Of course I can't vouch for their semitism!:|

Mike