Darius11

DeLay Is Charged With Criminal Conspiracy in Texas

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/28/politics/28cnd-delay.html?hp&ex=1127966400&en=9bd5e2ff29f4fdc2&ei=5094&partner=homepage

September 28, 2005
By DAVID STOUT
WASHINGTON, Sept. 28 - Representative Tom DeLay of Texas, the powerful House Republican majority leader, was accused by a Texas grand jury today of criminal conspiracy in a campaign fund-raising scheme.

Mr. DeLay was indicted on one count charging that he violated state election laws in September 2002. Two political associates, John D. Colyandro and James W. Ellis, were indicted with him.

The indictment of Mr. DeLay, while not entirely unexpected, still reverberated through the Capitol. The House Republican rules require a member of the leadership to step down, at least temporarily, if indicted.

A conviction on the charge against Mr. DeLay carries a maximum sentence of two years in prison. The lawmaker has consistently maintained his innocence and today once again asserted that the Travis County district attorney, Ronnie Earle, a Democrat, has been pursuing him for political reasons in a "purely political investigation."

"These charges have no basis in the facts or the law," Mr. DeLay said in a statement issued by his Congressional office. "This is just another example of Ronnie Earle misusing his office for partisan vendettas.

At the White House, the president's chief spokesman, Scott McClellan, expressed support for Mr. Delay, telling reporters, "Mr. Delay is a good ally and a leader who we have worked closely with for the good of the American people."

"The president's view is to let the legal process work," Mr. McClellan said. "There's a legal process and we're going to let it work."

Mr. DeLay is second only to Speaker J. Dennis Hastert of Illinois in power in the House of Representatives and has been credited with shepherding much of his party's legislative programs through Congress. He has also been seen as a key in expanding the Republican majority in the House, which now stands at 231 to 202 Democrats, with one independent and one vacancy.

The indictment today came just three weeks after a political organization formed by Mr. DeLay, Texans for a Republican Majority, was indicted on charges of taking illegal corporate money while Mr. DeLay was helping Republicans win control of the Texas Legislature as well as strengthening their hold on Congress.

The DeLay organization was charged with accepting a contribution of $100,000 from the Alliance for Quality Nursing Home Care and one of $20,000 from AT&T. A statewide business group, the Texas Association of Business, was also charged.

State law prohibits use of corporate contributions to advocate the election or defeat of state candidates, and prosecutors accuse the DeLay organization of engaging in a complex scheme to circumvent the law.

Mr. DeLay, who has also come under fire from the House ethics committee, will not have to leave his post as the congressman from Texas's 22d District, near Houston, as a result of the indictment. But by his having to step down from his leadership position, his power will be vastly diminished, at least for the time being.

Mr. DeLay has won the grudging respect of Democrats for his effectiveness, not only in pushing legislation through the House but for helping to strengthen the Republican majority. In Texas, he helped to engineer a redistricting plan that boosted the Texas Republican majority to 21-11 in the current Congress.

Mr. DeLay's troubles come at an awkward time for Republicans, as President Bush is sagging in public opinion surveys and as the Senate majority leader, Bill Frist, Republican of Tennessee, has been defending himself against questions about the timing of the sale of stock in a family-owned business.

About fucking time
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Power corrupts...

politics corrupts. left and right side. no one on the left should gloat on this because it will only be a matter of time before something like this happens to the dems.

I don’t think anyone is gloating at least I am not.

I think it sucks that all we ever see is corrupt politicians it makes you think is there any good ones out there? Or are they all out to make them selves rich and couldn’t care less about anyone else.
It’s on both sides left right center whatever.

What disturbs me is this.
I know a lot of people who are educated and really decent human beings I know we have a lot of them why don’t any of them ever get elected to public office?
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

About fucking time

Not so fast, buckaroo. Here in America, one is presumed to be innocent until proven guilty.

Here is the response from my Congressman, John Culberson:
"Today's indictment of House Majority Leader Tom DeLay is proof that Ronnie Earle is nothing more than a hatchet man for the Democratic Party who uses his position as Travis County District Attorney to attack his political opponents. We should all remember that his 1994 indictment against former Texas Treasurer and current United States Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison was so baseless that he had to withdraw the case on the first day of the trial. Ronnie Earle also zeroed in on former Texas Attorney General Jim Mattox in the 1980s, and those indictments were eventually dismissed. An indictment from a grand jury is an accusation, and an indictment from Ronnie Earle against a powerful and successful Republican leader like Tom DeLay is simply a publicity stunt and political payback on behalf of the entire Democratic Party.

"Ronnie Earle railroaded a grand jury into indicting Tom DeLay so that our Majority Leader would be forced to resign his post. He and his Democratic supporters are targeting Tom DeLay for the same reason that Confederate General Stonewall Jackson always ordered his troops to shoot the brave ones first because it will scare the others. Tom DeLay was indicted because he is the most effective leader in the United States Congress. The Democrats could not beat him in the House of Representatives or at the ballot box, so they changed the venue and manipulated the rules of the game in a last ditch effort to derail him and our Republican agenda.

"Tom DeLay is an honest and decent man who always does the right thing for the right reasons. I stand behind Tom DeLay 100 percent, and I am confident that he will be proven innocent and regain his position as Majority Leader."

Here is a link to an excellent analysis of the indictment from a lawyer that I respect.
Link
Perhaps you should withhold judgement until you see what happens in court.

>Here is the response from my Congressman, John Culberson:

Ah, you're right, he's probably innocent. And he gave that "I am not a crook!" speech today.

But wait! Here's what Nancy Pelosi said:

"The criminal indictment of Majority Leader Tom Delay is the latest example that Republicans in Congress are plagued by a culture of corruption at the expense of the American people."

And here's what a DNC spokesman said:

"Today, the state of Texas is doing what the Republican-controlled federal government has failed repeatedly to do, which is to hold Republicans in Washington accountable for their culture of corruption."

So he's probably guilty. Confusing. Unless - could it be - that all these people, including Delay, are just full of shit?

Here's what Nancy Pelosi said

nancy pelosi is still here?

i thought she was due back in hell several weeks ago! she is fingernails on the chalk board...B|

sorry, didn't mean to hijack. :)
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

"The criminal indictment of Majority Leader Tom Delay is the latest example that Republicans in Congress are plagued by a culture of corruption at the expense of the American people."

"Today, the state of Texas is doing what the Republican-controlled federal government has failed repeatedly to do, which is to hold Republicans in Washington accountable for their culture of corruption."

Yep, two more people who think that a mere indictment is proof of guilt, and that the principle of "innocent until proven guilty" doesn't mean anything any more.

Are those the kind of people you want running the country?

Personally, I'd like someone who respects the law, and doesn't jump to premature conclusions in the public media for political pandering. But hey, that's just me.

Yep, two more people who think that a mere indictment is proof of guilt, and that the principle of "innocent until proven guilty" doesn't mean anything any more.

Right, it makes about as much sense as people who think an indictment against a powerful political leader means that the DA issuing it is obviously acting on the behalf of the opposing party.

Are those the kind of people you want running the country?

Personally, I'd like someone who respects the law, and doesn't jump to premature conclusions in the public media for political pandering.

Shouldn't respect for the law extend to the people who are enforcing it, including the DA who issued the indictment?

the interesting bit to me is that this particular violation isn't exactly a killer. There are many legal ways to get around campaign finance laws, but they choose to be lazy and are going to pay for it. Not too unlike Martha getting busted for trying to dump her stock, then lying about it.

Of course, they had to settle for tax evasion with Capone.

About fucking time

Not so fast, buckaroo. Here in America, one is presumed to be innocent until proven guilty.

I don't see any accusation of guilt in what darius11 says. Only that it is about time an indictment was handed down.

I also heard a Democratic politician on the radio today pointing out the Ronnie Earl (Travis County Texas DA) has indicted twice as many Democrats over the years than he has Republicans.

BTW in my opinion 99% of politicians are scumbags regardless of party.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

>it makes about as much sense as people who think an indictment
> against a powerful political leader means that the DA issuing it is
> obviously acting on the behalf of the opposing party.

Especially given that this particular DA has prosecuted far more cases against democrats than against republicans.

Interesting bit today - apparently Delay's lawyer is claiming that Delay is lying:

-------------------------------
Others deny DeLay didn't get chance to tell his side
By JANET ELLIOTT
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau

AUSTIN - The day after U.S. Rep. Tom DeLay's grand jury indictment, his lawyer and the jury foreman on Thursday appeared to contradict the Texas politician's assertions that he was not given a chance to speak before the jury.

The foreman, William M. Gibson Jr., a retired state insurance investigator, said the Travis County grand jury waited until Wednesday, the final day of its term, to indict him because it was hoping he would accept jurors' invitation to testify.

DeLay said in interviews that the grand jury never asked him to testify.

. . .

Dick DeGuerin, the attorney representing DeLay, said Thursday that DeLay actually was invited to appear before the grand jury, where he would have been under oath.
-------------------------------------------

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3376104

Maybe his lawyer is someone else who "jumps to premature conclusions in the public media for political pandering." This is shaping up to be quite the circus.

>it makes about as much sense as people who think an indictment
> against a powerful political leader means that the DA issuing it is
> obviously acting on the behalf of the opposing party.

Especially given that this particular DA has prosecuted far more cases against democrats than against republicans.

Interesting bit today - apparently Delay's lawyer is claiming that Delay is lying:

-------------------------------
Others deny DeLay didn't get chance to tell his side
By JANET ELLIOTT
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau

AUSTIN - The day after U.S. Rep. Tom DeLay's grand jury indictment, his lawyer and the jury foreman on Thursday appeared to contradict the Texas politician's assertions that he was not given a chance to speak before the jury.

The foreman, William M. Gibson Jr., a retired state insurance investigator, said the Travis County grand jury waited until Wednesday, the final day of its term, to indict him because it was hoping he would accept jurors' invitation to testify.

DeLay said in interviews that the grand jury never asked him to testify.

. . .

Dick DeGuerin, the attorney representing DeLay, said Thursday that DeLay actually was invited to appear before the grand jury, where he would have been under oath.
-------------------------------------------

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3376104

Maybe his lawyer is someone else who "jumps to premature conclusions in the public media for political pandering." This is shaping up to be quite the circus.

I hope there are monkeys!!!:)

I like monkeys.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Well, well, look at who is going down with Delay:

Senator arranged for grant now involved in indictment of pastors

The money that led to the indictment this week of two Las Vegas pastors and the wife of one of them came from federal grants arranged by Sen. Harry Reid in September 2001, a Reid spokeswoman said Wednesday.

Source: Review Journal

Smells like another "conspiracy"...

News:

Coming Soon: The Ronnie Earle Movie

The DeLay prosecutor has let a film crew follow him through the whole case.

For the last two years, as he pursued the investigation that led to Wednesday's indictment of House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, Travis County, Texas prosecutor Ronnie Earle has given a film crew "extraordinary access" to make a motion picture about his work on the case...

Full story: National Review

I thought he was only interested in justice? Now he's starting to look like just another Michael Moore...

I thought he was only interested in justice? Now he's starting to look like just another Michael Moore...

You are aware that National Review is as right biased as Michael Moore is left biased, right? Not exactly a great news source unless you like everything pre-spun.

Not exactly a great news source unless you like everything pre-spun.

Sound like the mark has been hit.

As long as it is against the Democrats, its news.

Against the Republicans, its heresay.

Lets get three cheers for thinking one party is actually better than another...hip, hip....blehhh. [:/]
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

You are aware that National Review is as right biased as Michael Moore is left biased, right? Not exactly a great news source unless you like everything pre-spun.

So you are saying that there really isn't a movie being made about Ronnie Earle's prosecution of Tom Delay?

So you are saying that there really isn't a movie being made about Ronnie Earle's prosecution of Tom Delay?

No. I'm saying National Review is not a very good stand alone source. I have no doubt that there is much truth told in their articles, as I have no doubt that there is much truth not being told in their articles. The same goes for Moore's stuff. Things are only examined from one perspective, which often distorts facts significantly.

If you want to read journalists patting their favorite politician on the back, talking about how great they are, the extreme left and right news sources are great. But if you are honestly trying to stay informed, you will miss a lot by relying on partisan media.

I don't mean to imply that you only get your news from NR. I was just commenting on NR as the only source given for that story.

Guest 1010
>No. I'm saying National Review is not a very good stand alone source.

You'll find much harsher, insightful, and on-topic criticism of the Republican political party from NR than most other sources. And from NR it'll be valid criticisms, not just the typical "I hate Bush too" that passes for mainstream liberal thought nowadays.

And yeah, NR has those wacky people who think men, and women, should marry, before having kids, and stay together, after having kids, crazy as that thought is to some people. Damn them! :|

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.