SkydiveStMarys

Woman president?

So did any one catch the new show, Commander in Cheif? I must admit, the idea of a woman President in a good one, BUT, I don't think it would ever fly, pardon the pun. Not sure if I can stand Gina Davis as the lead roll, never really liked her as a leading lady.
I maybe opening a can of worms here, but what do y'all think? Could a woman lead this country? Would she be taken seriously? I believe that she would be a "mark" for many unhappy people.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Who cares about gender? If she/he does a good job and cuts spending then great. Neither party will field someone who will actually cut spending.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Who cares about gender? If she/he does a good job and cuts spending then great. Neither party will field someone who will actually cut spending.

To be more precise: Neither party's core constituency will allow a candidate who will put spending in line with revenues to survive the primaries.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

To be more precise: Neither party's core constituency will allow a candidate who will put spending in line with revenues to survive the primaries.

yes, they want to continue to "buy" votes and;

no, cut spending only, as theories on how to raise revenue differ and are contradictory (revenue is generated by raising, no, lowering taxes). I want to see spending reduced across the board long before any consideration to try and raise taxes (one theory) is put out there.

Does Cuervo island have a DZ?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Good point, and I think I agree with you here.

It's interesting phrasing, though. Are you saying neither candidates who cut taxes/cut spending nor candidates who raise taxes/raise spending will have a viable chance of election?

yes, they want to continue to "buy" votes and;

no, cut spending only, as theories on how to raise revenue differ and are contradictory (revenue is generated by raising, no, lowering taxes). I want to see spending reduced across the board long before any consideration to try and raise taxes (one theory) is put out there.

Does Cuervo island have a DZ?

Who knows? We will either be too drunk to care or we can build one.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I find Geena Davis irritating as an actress, so couldn't make it past 5 minutes of the show.

I never in a million years thought I would say this, but I would actually entertain the idea of Hilary for president. Not saying I'd vote for her, but I at least wouldn't veto it without further consideration.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I never in a million years thought I would say this, but I would actually entertain the idea of Hilary for president. Not saying I'd vote for her, but I at least wouldn't veto it without further consideration.

Wiping coffee spew off my screen. Or as the girls said in the 80s ... Gag me with a spoon!

Don't be surprised if/when the Dems and Pubs both field a female presidential candidate next time around. I think this show (which I didn't watch) is just there to pave the path to get the public used to the idea of having a woman in charge. Of course a female president has got to be better than the monkey they have in charge right now. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

It will NEVER come to pass....definitely.

Geo W Bush will be the last President...definitely.

Bill Cole

wow...i'm writing you in my ballot as you seem to be omniscient. how long am i gonna live? will i have children? why are we here? :D
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

wow...i'm writing you in my ballot as you seem to be omniscient. how long am i gonna live? will i have children? why are we here? :D

the answer is 42

BV - Who they are will matter more than what their sex is. I think we have finally grown up enough as a society that we can put competence before sexgender.

Let's hope so - though at this point, I'd be more concerned about people for a woman over 'any' man because of her gender (to make a point) without consideration of the relative competence. I did make a minor clarification though.:P

Would she be taken seriously?

Could anyone possibly be taken any less seriously than George W.?

Honestly, I think we're at a time where her abilities would matter more than her gender. She might have to work a little bit harder than a man would to earn the same amount of respect, especially being the first female President, but that probably wouldn't be so hard to do.

Honestly, I think we're at a time where her abilities would matter more than her gender.

I disagree, there was a post in the Women's forum on it. I won't provide a link because I don't want us SC weirdos over their disturbing the atmosphere. Let's just say that there were some strong indications that many would vote based on gender alone.

Margaret Thatcher did just fine in the UK.

No she didn't.

Margaret Thatcher didfine for the South East of England.

She and her government fucked the rest of the uk.

John
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think my attitude stinks you should smell my fingers

Honestly, I think we're at a time where her abilities would matter more than her gender.

I disagree, there was a post in the Women's forum on it. I won't provide a link because I don't want us SC weirdos over their disturbing the atmosphere. Let's just say that there were some strong indications that many would vote based on gender alone.

If you're referring to the number of females who would vote for a woman based on gender alone, then I'm willing to bet that those votes would be countered by the number of men who would still vote for the male candidate based on gender alone (assuming it was a male and a female running in the two main parties)...

But I wasn't really referring to how many would vote for her anyway. I was responding to the question of would she be taken seriously as a President, which I think would depend more on her actions than on her gender.

If you're referring to the number of females who would vote for a woman based on gender alone, then I'm willing to bet that those votes would be countered by the number of men who would still vote for the male candidate based on gender alone (assuming it was a male and a female running in the two main parties)...

But I wasn't really referring to how many would vote for her anyway. I was responding to the question of would she be taken seriously as a President, which I think would depend more on her actions than on her gender.

I'll agree with that. But I bet there are men that would vote for a woman based on gender alone also.

Pretty well any issue has nuts that cancel each other out. Good thing too.