slowfallerUK

Hudud Law - No Picnic

I'm not usually a Speaker's Corner type of person but, when in Rome...

Malaysian state passes islamic law.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/...-pacific/2116032.stm

Crucifixion, stoning, dismemberment and carte blanche for rapists, apparently.

Few things cause me more dismay than watching my species trying to retrograde itself again and again and again...

NB This post is not intended to be a slight on anybody's religion. Believe what you believe, practice what you want, as long as it does not impinge on the rights of others. To reiterate, as long as it does not impinge on the rights of others. I just think this is a classic case of the Church becoming woefully involved with the running of the State, a situation I abhor. As soon as I read the article, a little thought bubble appeared above my head. It read "Speaker's Corner... hmmm". So I had to post it. ;)

Yeah, pretty barbaric.

Cultured societies tend to use poison gas, lethal injection, hanging or electric chair for their criminal killing. This is done very scientifically of course. Rather than screaming crowds we choose several witnesses who'll wear smart clothes and gaze through a glass window at the prisoner.

Far more progressive, far more proper, dont you think?

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

A Muslim who renounces Islam is punished by death.

Just like the Mafia. Fail to comport yourself according to the dictates (self-interests) of a powerful self-proclaimed representative of the group and you have effectively “renounced your kind” thus sealing your death warrant and visiting a death sentence upon innocent members of your clan. Utter submission or elimination -- it’s so, so Sixth Century but since this paradigm has traction in an Islamic world rooted in intransigence we must eliminate it there or else human progress for us all will be jeopardized. No Sharia for the U.S. thank you very much and please pass the ammunition.

Blutarsky 2008. No Prisoners!

Well it is not actually law, just a proposed law that will probably not make it onto the books, to quote your source, so it is really a bunch of right wing religious zealots, kind of like that american religious nut robertson that said we should assassinate Chavez.

"But PAS has little chance of imposing the proposed law as the federal government controlled by Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad's coalition has vowed to block it.

The state government in Kelantan, the other Malaysian state controlled by PAS, passed similar laws in 1993 but they have never been enforced because of federal government opposition.
"