rhino

5$ a gallon coming in the next 2 weeks...

I met plenty of Americans who complained NON STOP and LOUDLY about how everything in American was better and why couldn't they do things like the US.

That still means nothing. I know plenty of Americans that think the contrary.

That is great. Tell them to go visit the world. It seems only the obnoxious and annoying make it out. :D
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I met plenty of Americans who complained NON STOP and LOUDLY about how everything in American was better and why couldn't they do things like the US.

That is great. Tell them to go visit the world. It seems only the obnoxious and annoying make it out. :D

I'd again like to point out how "self-congratulatory type" liberals claim they are the most well traveled.....:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'd again like to point out how Liberals claim they are the most well traveled.....:P

oooo, that is good. But can we say democrats instead? I am a liberal. :P

Watch and see..... Glad I get 600 miles to the tank.. ;)

Sounds too much like the "experts" that said they were staking their reputation on the Dow falling below 6000 after 9/11. Didn't happen, too many buffers in place these days. Same thing with oil. You can also bet Bush and his crew are already planning for it - chatting up with their Saudi cronies. As goes the price of oil, so goes the economy and this administration and the party's chances for holding big offices. They will do everything in their power to keep the price from spinning out of control. And they have a lot of power to spare.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

>They will do everything in their power to keep the price from spinning out of control.

This is why the crash will come so hard when it finally comes. I have little doubt that people in the administration (including Bush) are incapable of understanding that at some point THERE WILL BE NO MORE CHEAP OIL. They will see it as a political problem instead. Threaten Saudi Arabia! Put pressure on OPEC! Get that Chavez out of power. If we do enough we can solve the problem.

That's why I hope gas prices go very high and stay there for a while. If that happens, people will begin to develop alternatives on their own, and we will gradually wean ourselves from reliance on oil. If the price comes back down, and we instead rely on the government to solve the problem politically, we will have the sort of catastropic cluster-fuck we saw during Katrina - where people relied on the government to save them and the government tried to solve the problem by politicking rather than by actually doing anything about the problem.

IMO they dont have that much control. It all boils down to refinery capacity. Katrina and Rita will stop aprox 23% of our capacity. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/22/business/RITA-FACTBOX.html

It's simple supply and demand. The demand is there, but not the supply. Yeah, we have the strategic reserves and if they wanted to they could flood the market, but where are you going to process the crude oil.

I'd again like to point out how Liberals claim they are the most well traveled.....:P

By the textbook definition of "liberal" everybody is one. But I'm talking about the cynical definition. I edited to clarify.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

By the textbook definition of "liberal" everybody is one. But I'm talking about the cynical definition. I edited to clarify.

Not everyone wants to have less government control and more liberty to pursue what they want. Some actually WANT the government to take care of them.

In any case, I know what you meant...just messing with ya.

;)

Some actually WANT the government to take care of them.

;)

Yup - they also are "open to new ideas and concepts" - liberal. It's just their new ideas are a full fledge nanny state where they are taken care of and their diapers changed.

I know what you mean. Just messing around.

>They will do everything in their power to keep the price from spinning out of control.

This is why the crash will come so hard when it finally comes. I have little doubt that people in the administration (including Bush) are incapable of understanding that at some point THERE WILL BE NO MORE CHEAP OIL. They will see it as a political problem instead. Threaten Saudi Arabia! Put pressure on OPEC! Get that Chavez out of power. If we do enough we can solve the problem.

Cheap oil is subjective terminology. Depending on a person'e financial situation, cheap oil is already gone, or for someone else oil could be $10 per gallon and still be cheap.

And yes, the price will eventually force faster rates of development of alternatives - that is how markets work. But that is a long term development. This is a short term situation. As long as there is enough coming out of the ground to keep up with consumption - development will be slow. When the price begins to rise, not because of a short-term crisis, but because the actual long-term supply is getting more expensive to extract, then the rate of change will increase dramatically.

And I agree that Bush will see it as a political issue. That was my point in saying they will do what they have to. Implied was to mitigate political damage.

Sorry to be long-winded; but in short, do not expect rapid increase in long-term development of alternatives because of a short-term crisis caused by weather/climate.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Some actually WANT the government to take care of them.

;)

Yup - they also are "open to new ideas and concepts" - liberal. It's just their new ideas are a full fledge nanny state where they are taken care of and their diapers changed.

I know what you mean. Just messing around.

Ahh, fundamental difference there was you were using a dictionary definition and I was using a political defintion.

This is a silly place. :D

As a Brit' it has appeared to me that your Standard Export Model 'merican can be loud, overbearing and obnoxious... Strange, but I never met any of them during my many visits to the States .... maybe you kick them all out to go around the world winding-up us nice foriegn folk.:P

It's funny, it's like some of them want to travel abroad but expect to only experience American culture - too wierd[:/]

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

>And yes, the price will eventually force faster rates of development
>of alternatives - that is how markets work. But that is a long term
>development. This is a short term situation.

Not any more. Exxon is now predicting the OPEC oil peak to come in 2007. That's not the "long term" any more,

> When the price begins to rise, not because of a short-term crisis,
>but because the actual long-term supply is getting more expensive
> to extract, then the rate of change will increase dramatically.

I agree, and the economy will adjust. How it adjusts will depend on how fast the change happens. If the price of gas rises to, say, $5 and stays there for a decade before skyrocketing to $20 a gallon, it will negatively affect the economy. The Dow may drop. Consumer spending may dip as goods become more expensive. Hybrid manufactuers and solar panel companies will compensate for this partially; they will be rolling in money. Farms will switch to alcohol for fuel. Fedex will gradually start using biodiesel for long haul shipping and electric vehicles for local delivery. 50mpg will become the new average MPG. When gas does go to $20 a gallon, it will be painful, but Fedex, farms, commuters etc will be able to deal.

Compare that to gas dropping back to $1.80 a gallon for a decade, then going to $20 a gallon within a year. No one will change at $1.80 a gallon. When it goes to $20, Fedex will look for biodiesel and discover that they can't make enough, and electric vehicles are a year or two away. Farms will try to harvest corn to make alcohol, but won't have gasoline and diesel to run their equipment. Drivers will try to buy hybrids, but the tiny supply will not come close to meeting demand. And our economy will adjust by collapsing until almost no one can work, order goods, buy food or heat their home. That will bring demand back down in line with supply.

I think it is worth some pain now to avoid the second scenario.

>Sorry to be long-winded; but in short, do not expect rapid increase
>in long-term development of alternatives because of a short-term
> crisis caused by weather/climate.

Like I said before, I hope these short-term price increases are not so short-term. Someone asked where they hoped Katrina hit; for the good of the US I find myself hoping it takes out the refineries and leaves the rest of Texas undamaged. We'll be hating life now, but we may be a lot happier ten years from now.