eaglenrider

Things you don't want to hear your President say...

***I'm amazed people still fall for this BS.

Explain better why you feel that way... don't just throw snide comments.

So tell me, how would it pan out if *everybody* decided to knuckle down and work really hard to make it to the top? You think they'd all be up there?

I don't think so. I think there is limited room at the top of the pile and that, given society is structured like one big pyramid, most people are destined to be down at the bottom somewhere not doing so well for themselves.

Not everyone is born into a situation where they can just knuckle down, better themselves and earn more money, but it sure does make the haves feel a whole lot less guilty and a whole lot more morally justified about their better situation to think it's the case.

I'd say that most people can no more get to the top of the pile than most people can't win the Olympic 100 meters, so lame sloagans like a nation being the 'Land of Opportunity' are just that: lame slogans.

I don't think anyone has said that you're guaranteed to be a millionaire...but you seem to be saying that nobody should even try and just suck off the government tit.

The only thing you forgot was "Welcome to Liberal paradise" banner...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>At least the first example is *trying* to better themself...

Right. But I know people who, at their level best, could probably get a high school diploma and become a manager at McDonald's. And these are the people who get attacked all the time by right-wingers - "if he would just apply himself he wouldn't have a cruddy job! Why should I help support this lazy bastard who's working at McDonald's?"

Right. But I know people who, at their level best, could probably get a high school diploma and become a manager at McDonald's. And these are the people who get attacked all the time by right-wingers - "if he would just apply himself he wouldn't have a cruddy job! Why should I help support this lazy bastard who's working at McDonald's?"

I have no problems with people getting help that are truly trying to better themselves... I *DO* have problems with people that make no effort and just nurse at the government teat... and then expect more and more... modern day "bread and circuses".
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Not everyone is born into a situation where they can just knuckle down, better themselves and earn more money, but it sure does make the haves feel a whole lot less guilty and a whole lot more morally justified about their better situation to think it's the case.

There is a whole lot more opportunity here than in many places. Immigrants come here poor all the time and work hard and make a living. My dad, while not an immigrant, grew up poor, but had a good work ethic to work a low paying job, save slowly, buy and car and move out of Michigan to find better work. He is doing pretty good today.

You are right, not everyone can make it to the TOP of the pile, but who needs it? While I would love to be really rich, I am not. I am in the middle of the pack right now (for the moment) and I am doing just fine. Society does not have to be a pyramid. It can easily be shaped like a column with a slightly tapered top.

And I should feel guilty for having a good job and money? Yeah, let me get on that.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Someone who goes to work for McDonalds and works hard enough to become the manager is a success in my "right-wing" view. McDonalds has a very good management program that will be of a great benefit to someone even if they eventually leave McDonalds for a better opportunity. If you go to work for McDonalds and show some initiative, it's very easy to have that quality recognized and be promoted.

What many of us "right-wingers" have a problem with is the person who becomes complacent and never tries to better themselves, then expects our taxpayer dollars to support them and their family. Why is it so many on the left like to blame a persons failure in life on things like mental illness or lack of opportunity. I'm not saying there aren't some cases where this is true, but why is it so hard to admit that some people are just lazy and unmotivated?

As the saying goes "If you can't make it here you can't make it anywhere". But thats just my racist right-wing view of things. Where did I leave my chainsaw?

-

Something to consider is that even most poor people now are rich by the definition of even 60 years ago. The vast majority of Americans have enough to eat (just go to Wal-mart to check that one out). Substandard housing still generally has indoor plumbing and electricity nowadays. Virtually all children have access to some kind of school, with books provided. The vast majority don't have to walk any farther than a mile.

Most families now have at least a television, and a bed for each person in the family.

Does that mean that there aren't any poor people any more? Nope. But it does mean that we've moved the definition of poor. And we will continue to do so.

People by nature seem to want what others have (the advertising industry is based on this). So there will always be poor people.

How can we use human nature (rather than strongarming and denigration) to encourage folks to make the most of themselves? That would be nice.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>Why is it so many on the left like to blame a persons failure in life
>on things like mental illness or lack of opportunity. I'm not saying
> there aren't some cases where this is true, but why is it so hard to
> admit that some people are just lazy and unmotivated?

I don't know. Some people are lazy. Some people are incapable. Some people have various defects. Some people get the happy combo that lets them be very successful, and that's great. Doesn't mean that the people who don't get that combo are worthless.

I don't know. Some people are lazy. Some people are incapable. Some people have various defects. Some people get the happy combo that lets them be very successful, and that's great. Doesn't mean that the people who don't get that combo are worthless.

I'm not even suggesting they are worthless. I really have no problem helping someone who is incapable or limited due to mental or physical disabilities. Nor do I have a problem assisting someone who is motivated and wants to succeed, to become self reliant. What I do have a problem with is the losers who learn to work the system and suck it for all they can.

I know someone who has at least 2 PhD's and 1 or 2 MBA's and is a professional student. He has learned to work the system all the way from faking a mental disability so he can collect SS disability payments, welfare, etc. People like that are the ones I have a problem with just as much as the person who wants to shoot hoops their whole life.

-

so lame sloagans like a nation being the 'Land of Opportunity' are just that: lame slogans.

I don’t know about that.

I understand that there are some people out there who will not be able to succeed no matter what. But if you work hard you will be able to have a good life here.
Also what is your expectation?
Do be Donald Trump or have a good life.

I am not rich I work my ass off, but I am very happy. I have my weekends off and life is good man.
I came back here to the US 9 years ago with 1000 bucks and no support from anyone.
To me this is the land of opportunity.

And I don’t want any one to think I did any thing spectacular. I just found a job 1st job was a Pizza place making 5.50 an hr. I bought a what everyone would call a peace of shit car and just went from there.
I didn’t get lucky as a matter of fact I had a lot of bad luck come my way but hey man that’s life like I said life is good. The only thing I did was work and not too hard (there were times I had 3 jobs 5am to 11:30 at night but they were brief periods) but what was needed.

Please also consider that I am from Iran, I am Muslim, and I am not shy about it.
So again I say this is the land of opportunity at least it has been for me.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

so lame sloagans like a nation being the 'Land of Opportunity' are just that: lame slogans.

I don’t know about that.

I understand that there are some people out there who will not be able to succeed no matter what. But if you work hard you will be able to have a good life here.
Also what is your expectation?
Do be Donald Trump or have a good life.

I am not rich I work my ass off, but I am very happy. I have my weekends off and life is good man.
I came back here to the US 9 years ago with 1000 bucks and no support from anyone.
To me this is the land of opportunity.

And I don’t want any one to think I did any thing spectacular. I just found a job 1st job was a Pizza place making 5.50 an hr. I bought a what everyone would call a peace of shit car and just went from there.
I didn’t get lucky as a matter of fact I had a lot of bad luck come my way but hey man that’s life like I said life is good. The only thing I did was work and not too hard (there were times I had 3 jobs 5am to 11:30 at night but they were brief periods) but what was needed.

Please also consider that I am from Iran, I am Muslim, and I am not shy about it.
So again I say this is the land of opportunity at least it has been for me.

good on ya for your hard work and determination and for your positive outlook! you epitomize alot of what I see, esp. in the muslim community here in Nashville, hard working immigrants, very determined, and mostly, very grateful for what they are able to do for themselves and their families in this country. It's people like THAT that make me grateful to be an American, much more so than so many of the ingrates (sp?) who whine about all the probs w/ our govt. and such.

-the artist formerly known as sinker

I'm not even suggesting they are worthless. I really have no problem helping someone who is incapable or limited due to mental or physical disabilities. Nor do I have a problem assisting someone who is motivated and wants to succeed, to become self reliant. What I do have a problem with is the losers who learn to work the system and suck it for all they can.

I know someone who has at least 2 PhD's and 1 or 2 MBA's and is a professional student. He has learned to work the system all the way from faking a mental disability so he can collect SS disability payments, welfare, etc. People like that are the ones I have a problem with just as much as the person who wants to shoot hoops their whole life.

-

I know someone who has an Olympic silver medal. Maybe if we all try harder we could all have Olympic medals.

I know another guy who was left a multi-billion dollar company by his father, who founded it. After some bad decisions he's no longer running the company and only worth about $600M. Shame about all the employees that got laid off due to his bad decisions.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

First off, this thread has headed way off due to my original post...I RULE!!!

But in response to:

These are not the people the right wingers are attacking, at least not the right wingers I talk to or listen to.

I have no problem with making it a little easier for people to get started down the right road, that's why I'm pissed as all hell that the school system in this country is still broken, but where do you draw the line? You can't have a system that encourages a lifetime spent on government reliance.

I am really starting to believe that this is the problem. The system is setup to discourage people from moving up the economic class scale. We are kept just comfortable enough that none of us is willing to really rock the boat for the chance to change things for the better.

I don't think this was done maliciously, at least I hope it wasn't. I think the system evolved into this.

I was bout to hit submit, but I thought I should add this:

I find it ammusing that from my first post in this thread:

Our so called "leaders" keep us divided, fighting their battles so ours never get won.

this discussion has fallen into a left wing vs. right wing debate again! We are so well programmed.....me included.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

I am really starting to believe that this is the problem. The system is setup to discourage people from moving up the economic class scale. We are kept just comfortable enough that none of us is willing to really rock the boat for the chance to change things for the better.

Doesn't it make sense? If you are making the rules, to get re-elected (regardless of your stated intentions) you want people to not be discontented (not necessarily happy, just not unhappy enough to feel a need to change things).

So maintaining the status quo is good for those in power. That's why incumbents rely so heavily on it and non-incumbents try to leverage jealously in one way or another.

Edit: Buying votes (via congressional programs) is different, you want the gratitude of those gifted in one way or the other. But this is even worse: 1 - you run out of things to give to an ever-increasing demand. 2 - you run out of income from those footing the bill. It's more of a short term thing.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

this discussion has fallen into a left wing vs. right wing debate again! We are so well programmed.....me included.

Clinton started it. :D

fixed it for you

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

So maintaining the status quo is good for those in power. That's why incumbents rely so heavily on it and non-incumbents try to leverage jealously in one way or another.

In other words, EVERY politician is a conservative! :o:D
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

In other words, EVERY politician is a conservative! :o:D

No - every incumbent is a conservative. None of them want their pet programs removed. :o:D:ph34r:[:/]>:(

........Why is it so many on the left like to blame a persons failure in life on things like mental illness or lack of opportunity. I'm not saying there aren't some cases where this is true, but why is it so hard to admit that some people are just lazy and unmotivated?

The problem is most times the people with limited opportunity are lumped in the same category with the lazy and unmotivated.

Blue Skies Black Death