waltappel

Body Count for Over There 24AUG2005

2 Muslims fighters get their "ticket to paradise" in form of bullets.

1 Muslim fighter assumed killed. He ran into a shack, which was subsequently bombarded by a shitstorm of bullets and followed by silence.

1 Muslim boy and his screaming mother sent to Allah after boy runs out into open to throw a bottle (grenade?) during a firefight. Good to see them taken out of the gene pool!!!

1 presumably non-Muslim wire service guy killed by Muslim for no kind of good reason.

1 American soldier vaporized by an IED booby trap in a small village.

1 woman American soldier hit in right eye by shrapnel after vehicle either hits a land mine or is hit by mortar fire.

I'm starting to feel bad for Allah--he must be getting bored. Hopefully, he will be much busier on next week's episode.

This week's story centers around an embedded television reporter who is shooting video for some bullshit and lies wire service that caters to bullshit and lies networks like CNN.

The reporter shoots video from the American perspective, including video of a "search and destroy" operation where the US troops search a small village for mortars used to attack US vehicles. It is in this battle where the body count happens.

After the battle, the local Muslims are doing the Muslim thing, screaming about the killer infidels--especially screaming about the dead mom and her son. During this time, you see a Muslim guy walking around shooting video of the aftermath of the battle.

The next day, a slimy CNN-like network is showing a highly-edited version of the embedded reporter's video that includes not only his video, but video taken from the Muslim perspective as well. The report is extremely biased and is obviously intended to show the Americans in the worst possible light.

The report ignites widespread Muslim outrage, a White House apology, and prompts an inquiry.

Turns out that the whole thing was a setup. The embedded American reporter meets with the Muslim guy who was working the other side with the video camera. He tells the Muslim guy that he knows the whole thing was a setup; that the mortar attack on US troops was intended to lure the Americans into the village as part of an ambush. Further, the bottle-throwing Muslim kid was told to go out into the open during the firefight knowing he would likely be killed. They also knew that Muslim Mom would follow and would likely be killed.

All for Muslim propaganda and profit for the bullshit and lies wire service.

After listening to the embedded American reporters analysis, the Muslim murders the embedded reporter's co-worker and kidnaps the reporter.

Walt

I am still trying to get the nerve to watch this show. They should have spent a week with us in Baghdad.

Judging by the reactions of the military people who have been "Over There" AND have watched the show, you'll very likely dismiss it as a bunch of fluff when you watch it.

It does have its moments, but apparently is not well-based in reality and can only be viewed as entertainment, though not necessarily entertaining.

Walt

I am still trying to get the nerve to watch this show. They should have spent a week with us in Baghdad.

A little story. I visited a small Texas State Historic Park a few weeks ago, and I was about the only visitor for an hour. I sat on the front porch of an old-fashioned general store talking to the curator, who was an elderly lady that was a treasure-trove of information about Texas history. One thing I learned is that she absolutely hates John Wayne's movie "The Alamo", because it is so "historically inaccurate".

My point here is, that the people that really know the true details will always be disappointed by how things are depicted in movies or on TV. We all groan when we see things done wrong with skydiving scenes.

However, I think there is still a greater service being done by such presentations. With "The Alamo", yes, there was some dramatic license taken, but on the other hand, much of the story was absolutely true. And by making the movie, millions of people learned a lot about Texas history that they would not have otherwise known.

Likewise, I think "Over There" does a service by presenting some basic facts about the war in Iraq, such as the difficulty of fighting combatants who wear no uniforms, have no battle lines, and fade into the civilian populace, as well as all the ethical dilemmas that go along with that.

So even if some details are incorrect, the general public won't know it, and it won't really matter. And on balance, the education is more than worth it.

>And on balance, the education is more than worth it.

A significant number of New Yorkers (around 40%) admitted they got most of their political news from Jay Leno a few years back. It's sad, but you're right - for most people, entertainment like this is where they will get most of their education about what's going on in Iraq. Whether that's a good thing or not is another story.

>And on balance, the education is more than worth it.

A significant number of New Yorkers (around 40%) admitted they got most of their political news from Jay Leno a few years back. It's sad, but you're right - for most people, entertainment like this is where they will get most of their education about what's going on in Iraq. Whether that's a good thing or not is another story.

and these are the ones entertained enough to go out and vote too

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I sat on the front porch of an old-fashioned general store talking to the curator, who was an elderly lady that was a treasure-trove of information about Texas history. One thing I learned is that she absolutely hates John Wayne's movie "The Alamo", because it is so "historically inaccurate".

What did she think of the 2004 version, with Dennis Quaid & Billy Bob Thornton?? I thought that movie kicked ass.

and from what I've read, seems to be fairly accurate.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

What did she think of the 2004 version, with Dennis Quaid & Billy Bob Thornton??

She hasn't seen it. She said the last movie she has ever seen in the theatre was "The Ten Commandmants", with Charleton Heston. And that was made in the 1950's. Yeah, she's a little out of touch.

But she sure knew her Texas history. She could tell you the lineage of all the famous people, where they were buried, where their descendants now live, and many other interesting things.

I think a serious war drama show does a better job of presenting the issues than does comedy.

>I think a serious war drama show does a better job of presenting
>the issues than does comedy.

I think they both do an equally good job at their purpose, which is entertainment. I have a feeling that Over There teaches people as much about what happens in Iraq as Point Break taught people about skydiving. Which is to say, quite a bit if you knew nothing beforehand, but nothing you'd want to bet your life on.

Actually, it is just hard for me to watch stuff like that now.

I can deal with 'creative license' - it is that possibility that it may hit close to home that I can't stomach right now.

I caught Rambo - First Blood about 3 months ago on the tv. When he was talking about his friend getting blown up, I cried like a baby, don't really know why. I felt like a train hit me for the rest of the day.

You see, it is kind of like skydiving. Those that have never jumped can never understand, those that do - can't explain.

I caught Rambo - First Blood about 3 months ago on the tv. When he was talking about his friend getting blown up, I cried like a baby, don't really know why. I felt like a train hit me for the rest of the day.

I lost a brother in the service as a Marine. When I see a military funeral in a movie, it hits me like that. I cried like a baby at that scene in "Private Ryan", where the old man goes to visit the graveyard and asks if he is "worthy". I understand your feelings. Nothing at all to be embarrased about. The older I get, the more sentimental I become.

Thank you for your service. Ooorah.

I think they both do an equally good job at their purpose, which is entertainment. I have a feeling that Over There teaches people as much about what happens in Iraq as Point Break taught people about skydiving. Which is to say, quite a bit if you knew nothing beforehand, but nothing you'd want to bet your life on.

Substitude Cutaway for Point Break and maybe. Over There is a heck of a lot closer to reality than 3 minute talking skydives where noobs do 6 way RW ok.

>Over There is a heck of a lot closer to reality than 3 minute talking
>skydives where noobs do 6 way RW ok.

That's because you're a skydiver and are more sensitive to such things.

Heck, I've made nearly 3 minute skydives, have talked to people in freefall and have done 10-ways where one guy had 2 jumps. One thing that Point Break did very well, IMO, was to show the beauty of the sport, and how 'calm' a dive could be. Sure, it was inaccurate - but to a whuffo, it's probably more educational than the Aerodyne "how to pack your Triathalon" videotape, because they can relate to Patrick Swayze better than they can to Bill Hazlett.

>Over There is a heck of a lot closer to reality than 3 minute talking
>skydives where noobs do 6 way RW ok.

That's because you're a skydiver and are more sensitive to such things.

Heck, I've made nearly 3 minute skydives, have talked to people in freefall and have done 10-ways where one guy had 2 jumps. One thing that Point Break did very well, IMO, was to show the beauty of the sport, and how 'calm' a dive could be. Sure, it was inaccurate - but to a whuffo, it's probably more educational than the Aerodyne "how to pack your Triathalon" videotape, because they can relate to Patrick Swayze better than they can to Bill Hazlett.

If you want a market driven evaluation, I bought a new (still sealed) non-pirated copy of Point Break in Wal Mart last week for $5.50, whereas my new bona fide videotape of Cutaway cost me $1.50. Given the cost of a blank tape, that means the whuffo dominated market puts negative value on the content of Cutaway and a small positive value on Point Break. :D

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.