Darius11

Is it ok to kill for money?

If your only motivation is money and you put your self in a place where you might kill someone innocent (not someone trying to kill you) is that ok?

It is always difficult to class someone's "only motivation" as "money."

What did they want to do with that money? No one wants it to just have piles sitting around. Everyone wants to do something with it.

If they wanted it to start an orphanage for starving children, would that make it more laudable to be motivated by "money"?

What if they wanted it to take care of their own children, who would starve unless they took that work?

Or what if they just wanted to build a bigger, nicer house? Or to send their kids to a nice private school?

Shades of grey, I'm afraid...
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Dear Greenies.
Please lock this Poll, and Delete this thread.
It was just pointed out to me how this might be taken out of the context it was meant for.

This poll was in no way about our armed forces, or the contractors who are there helping.

It was a very simple question? It was not meant about any one in particular.
After getting frustrated with the other thread I started to really wonder where peoples morals were.

Peace out

Darius
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

If your only motivation is money and you put your self in a place where you might kill someone innocent (not someone trying to kill you) is that ok?

It is always difficult to class someone's "only motivation" as "money."

Absolutely, there are other important considerations like:

Job satisfaction
Benefits
Career advancement

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

Notice, Walt, the tongue planted firmly in the cheek :)

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

but do to a recent threa

It is a simple question.

No, it isn't a simple question because you tied it to the previous thread, which is about the contractors in Iraq.

You are asking "Is it wrong that the contractors in Iraq are killing for money?". You have accused them of murder. You have called them mercenaries.

If you were asking if being a hitman is OK, then it would have been a simple question, but you tied it to the previous thread, complicating the simple question.

Agasin, you skipped, "Are they killing for money", assumed they are guilty of killing for money, and asked, "Is it OK to kill for money". You fail to understand this and this is why you you do not understand that you did not ask a simple question.

Do you think the armed contractors in Iraq are mercenaries?

Do you think the armed contractors in Iraq are killing for money?

By your poll, you imply that you would answer 'yes' to both questions.

Derek

Do you think the armed contractors in Iraq are mercenaries? Depends on their job. If they’re building dams No. If they are shooting innocent people yes.

Do you think the armed contractors in Iraq are killing for money? According to the artical some already have.
But some does not mean all.

By your poll, you imply that you would answer 'yes' to both questions.

Now you have my answers. No need to guess any more.

I am out
peace

you can never make a simple poll asking people about murder.

How can you even judge what is innocent... if someone has a gun to my kids head Id rip him to shreds, before he was proven guilty in a court of law. Yea its not for money but murder is murder. War and the deaths that come about because of war fit into a different catagory.

You cant be general, theres plenty of reasons why Id kill someone, and until someone approaches me with money to kill someone I have no idea what I would do.

I can think of at least 3 reasons right off the bat, there my kids.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

If they are shooting innocent people yes.

What if they are shooting guilty people?

What if they are shooting guilty people for money?

Does it matter why they are shooting them if they are guilty?

According to the artical some already have.
But some does not mean all.

Don't believe everything you read.

Derek

I agree with both Wendy and Walt. Alex Crowley's WAS one of the greatest posts of all time.

With such a nebulus thread as this, where none of the parameters are clearly defined, nobody can give any definitive opinions, everyone's just bringing their own definitions to the table and it becomes utterly pointless to discuss it. So humour is the only way to go. Awesome post Alex. Do hitmen have a union?

I agree with both Wendy and Walt. Alex Crowley's WAS one of the greatest posts of all time.

With such a nebulus thread as this, where none of the parameters are clearly defined, nobody can give any definitive opinions, everyone's just bringing their own definitions to the table and it becomes utterly pointless to discuss it. So humour is the only way to go. Awesome post Alex. Do hitmen have a union?

Yes, it's called the Teamsters.

I know people with CHL that cannot wait for the opportunity to kill someone

Really?

Or are you using dramtic license?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Yes, it's called the Teamsters.

You are among the people who are in really fine form today!!! ROTFLMAO!!!:D:D:D

"If you kill for money, you're a mercenary.
If you kill for pleasure, you're a sadist.
If you kill for both, you're a Kingsman!"

-- sign on army attack helicopter headquarters structure in Vietnam, circa 1968

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

The only good reason to kill is in defense of yourself or someone else when in imminent danger of harm.

What was it that John Stuart Mill said?

The individual who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

I think what he was saying is that if one were content to remain a slave (remember that in his day slavery as an institution was alive and well), and unwilling to rise up and fight for one's own freedom, then one likely did not deserve that freedom.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

There's a difference between a willingness to fight and a willingness to kill. There are many things worth fighting for, but fewer things worth killing for.

Also, defense of yourself or someone else is a rather broad category. Many slaves were threatened with harm on a regular basis. Many soldiers fight to free people from leaders who would harm them. Killing to defend someone else doesn't just extend to defending people you know.

So is it better to kill people because they don't have the same religion or beliefs?

I don't think you should kill anyone unless you are in danger of being killed.

while i agree with you on a philosophical level, that stopped being important shortly after effective firearms were invented...

I don't think you should kill anyone unless you are in danger of being killed.

Hahahahahaa..................you're funny. Ever tried to tell the difference between a guy who is driving a normal car and is just stupid and a guy driving a VBIED that means to blow you up? You make it sound so easy..............:S

you know reading is fundamental.. reading for comprehension more so..

i personally believe you should never kill anyone who isnt like armed and isnt looking you in the eyes equally prepared to kill you...

unfortunately any sort of peer based warfare/combat went away loooong ago.... the 'rules' changed right around the time gunpowder was invented.. my grand mother (rip) was once one of the best shots of her generation and would have never been considered a combatant or a warrior...

Nope. There are some principles that should never be compromised, and I don't care how much cash is involved.

The only good reason to kill is in defense of yourself or someone else when in imminent danger of harm.

Thank you for answering the questions with out bringing a bunch of BS in to it.

...nothing is safer than avoiding the dangerous situations in the first place.

Wendy W.

Exactly, if your contract is, lets say, as a cook in a military base, then i see no problem. But if part of your contract is about being around civilians when you know that terrorists disguised as civilians are around, the chances that you kill a civilian skyrocket. I don´t understand how anyone would want to put himselve in a position where making the mistake of killing a civilian is a very real posibility just for money. Specially if that anyone is of the "I prefer to be judge by 12 than carried by 6" mentality.