headoverheels

Women shouldn't drive -- bad outweighs the good

Quote:

Imams, Academics Against Allowing Women to Drive
A statement that has warned against the dangers of allowing women to drive in Saudi Arabia was released on the Internet on Friday. More than 100 sheikhs, imams, judges, Islamic scholars, Islamic university teachers, several heads of Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice centers in the Kingdom, as well as some teachers at the Grand Mosque in Makkah and the Prophet’s Mosque in Madinah signed the statement.

They said in the statement that the ruling in Islam that “closing all doors leads to corruption” was clear and was for the protection of people and society. “Women driving cars is not permissible because the ruling of ‘closing doors that leads to corruption’ applies to it directly.”

The statement also said that those who say allowing women to drive would be beneficial in some ways forget the ruling in Islam that if the act derives more misdeeds, then it is ruled as not permissible.

The statement added that though it acknowledged that foreign drivers are an economic burden on the country, their presence does less damage than the economic burdens of allowing women to drive which are: The multi-ownership of cars in one family instead of just one being used by the driver; the replacement of a car by another one since women are known to like everything new and the burden of the government having to open special female sections in all Traffic Departments.

It concluded by saying that no Islamic scholar or good figure in society has called for women to drive and that all those who have been calling for them to drive are people who tend to damage the image of Islamic women.
It's amazing tha this kind of thinking still exists in the world today.

I guess I'm trying to damage the image of Islamic women by thinking that they should have the same rights as men. Silly me!

Question: Is this just for the women noted in the Islamic country or for all women?? Bc I can tell you one thing I am one bad-ass driver...;)

Is that Bad "Ass-Driver"?
or "Bad Ass" driver?

It really changes the meaning depending on where you pause.

(And pretty well everyone thinks they are good drivers....)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

312 - My positions on driving -

1 - Driving is a pretty well mind numbing activity that takes little skill other than paying attention - in everyday use. It's a one dimensional activity (unless you are on a giant slab) that most everyone messes up or takes for granted.

2 - The young think that driving fast or recklessly = being a good driver. They are wrong and don't know it. Old people think they drive good because they are cautious, they are closer, but still overdo it to the point of also endagering themselves.

3 - The only 'Good' drivers are the pros and those that take the time and effort to go to the tracks -and- take training and learn about more than is taught by the typical driver's education course or self taught from that point - which is the extent that 99% of the rest of do.

4 - Anyone not on the pro racing circuit that claims to be a good driver is likely fooling themselves. They think they are better drivers than "most everyone else on the road". This is probably based on how many near accidents they avoid regularly and, as such, are proud of their reaction skills - never realizing how they likely put themselves in most of the situations in the first place.

5 - The self deluded think that anyone faster than them are "crazy maniacs" and that anyone slower than themselves are "figgin idiots". They have no basis of comparison for their self evaluation normally.

6 - There are good men and good women drivers. There are adequate men and adequate women drivers (most of us). there are idiots in both genders too.

Hate to break it to you. In any case, there are real test of skill out there to be proud of that would much higher on the heirarchy of things to wish to excel at. Keep the insurance low, don't get in accidents, and you pretty well got it licked.

(note, I have no idea if you race or have gone to cop driving school or whatever - so sorry to pick on you, but, really, I don't know a single person that DOESN"T think they are a spectacular driver - frankly, driving with them I either can't tell the difference or they are reckless/oblivious. You might be the exception.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

several heads of Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice centers

Ah the religious Nazis of SA. These are the same f-ers that wouldn't allow firefieghters to enter, nor the women to exit a burning building since the women did not have the proper clothing to cover their faces. The solution, leave in there and let them burn.

Ah the religious Nazis of SA. These are the same f-ers that wouldn't allow firefieghters to enter, nor the women to exit a burning building since the women did not have the proper clothing to cover their faces. The solution, leave in there and let them burn.

Yeah, I remember that incident - better that they burn to death, then be seen on a public street with their face uncovered.

I really like this part of their logic:
the economic burdens of allowing women to drive which are: The multi-ownership of cars in one family instead of just one being used by the driver; the replacement of a car by another one since women are known to like everything new and the burden of the government having to open special female sections in all Traffic Departments.
Ha! Imagine if we had used that logic to maintain slavery: With all those negroes runnin' around in public, it'll cost a fortune to install all those separate water fountains! Therefore, it is not econcomically feasible to free the slaves.

And since the Muslim man is in charge of the family, why can't he just tell the wife they're only going to have one car, and it's not going to be a new one? Oh, that would involve individual responsibility and choice. Never mind...

Rights should never be suppressed over economic reasons. Especially lame stereotypes like the ones mentioned above.

I really like this part of their logic:
the economic burdens of allowing women to drive which are: The multi-ownership of cars in one family instead of just one being used by the driver; the replacement of a car by another one since women are known to like everything new and the burden of the government having to open special female sections in all Traffic Departments.

What the hell!!!! Multi-car ownership, everything new if it is not one thing with you men it is another. YOu all feel you NEED to blame something on the female gender!!! It is such a load of BS!!! Maybe it is not that women should not drive maybe it is men should learn how to drive themselves!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be the change you wish to see in the world!

10 years ago, some Saudi "princes" were learning to skydive at DeLand. For some reason, perhaps intentionally, they were given a (very competent) female instructor. They were insensed. They actually turned their backs on her, and wouldn't listen to a word she was saying.

10 years ago, some Saudi "princes" were learning to skydive at DeLand. For some reason, perhaps intentionally, they were given a (very competent) female instructor. They were insensed. They actually turned their backs on her, and wouldn't listen to a word she was saying.

I don't doubt it. I used to live in Melbourne, FL, where there was a private college that had many students from the middle east, sent there by their wealthy arab daddies. They hated the idea of women driving, and some would go into a frenzy if a woman driver passed them on the road. So naturally, my wife at the time, delighted in spotting them and passing 'em.

They also had little regard for other tenants in apartment complexes. They'd play loud music late at night, and didn't give a darn if you asked them to turn it down. They were more important than Americans, and couldn't be bothered to be considerate of others.

This experiences didn't exactly give me a good impression of these young privileged middle-eastern arab males.

I don't doubt it. I used to live in Melbourne, FL, where there was a private college that had many students from the middle east, sent there by their wealthy arab daddies. They hated the idea of women driving, and some would go into a frenzy if a woman driver passed them on the road. So naturally, my wife at the time, delighted in spotting them and passing 'em.

They also had little regard for other tenants in apartment complexes. They'd play loud music late at night, and didn't give a darn if you asked them to turn it down. They were more important than Americans, and couldn't be bothered to be considerate of others.

This experiences didn't exactly give me a good impression of these young privileged middle-eastern arab males.

My impressions of arab males is none to flattering either, I avoid them mostly.

I remember being in Rome, Italy on a high school trip. I remember feeling sorry for the blond haired women in my class since they were constantly hounded by Roman men, touched, surrounded, followed and whistled at and treated like a piece of meat.

This experience didn't exactly give me a good impression of these Roman males.

Lets also not forget there are many white christian devoutly religious families where the woman has absolutely no say in family decisions and is expected to serve.

I can remember being a young blond woman in Marseilles (south of France). For about 1 hour -- I left as quickly as I could, on the next train.

I have a cousin who's an Arab male, and the one I work with is also a really nice guy. He brought presents back for his department when he went to Mecca -- how cool is that?

Just give folks an opportunity. Don't rob them of the chance to prove themselves.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wendy, perfect

Just because a particular culture may indicate a propensity to being an asshat (by our culture's standards) doesn't mean we shouldn't take each individual one at a time before making any value judgements on their character. They may be the exception to their culture.

In fact, still best to just take then as individuals and not sorry about the stereotype - whether the stereotype is generally justified or not.