StreetScooby

Victim of N.Y. Bat Attack Leaves Hospital

He left the hospital wearing a motorcycle helmet :D. I doubt he'll ever try to steal another car in an Italian neighborhood (nor will his friends).

==========================================

Filed at 11:37 a.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- A man has been released from the hospital two weeks after he was beaten with a baseball bat in an alleged bias attack in the Howard Beach section of Queens, site of an infamous racial confrontation two decades ago.

Glen Moore, 22, who is black, suffered a fractured skull in the attack last month by three white men, authorities said. He was recuperating at home after leaving the hospital Wednesday, according to his stepfather, Thomas Eison.

''He's trying to relax and take it easy,'' Eison said. ''He's trying to enjoy his first day home.''

Two of the alleged attackers have been charged with robbery and assault as a hate crime. The third man was being described as a witness.

The attack happened blocks from where three black men were beaten in 1986 by a white mob after the victims' car broke down. One of the men, Michael Griffith, was killed by a car as he fled.
We are all engines of karma

Wow. I don't even know what to say, after having read up on that.

They _admitted in court_ that they were in that neighborhood looking for a car to steal. I'm not sure how much I blame the guys who beat them up. I mean, if they came cruising by my house looking to steal my car, I'd be pretty angry, too.

Sounds to me like maybe everyone involved was in the wrong.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

What's even worse is, one of the 3 black guys was arrested within a week for armed robbery on the subway! I'm a moderate man, but sometimes righteous violence is called for. Unfortunately, you're not even allowed to shoot a guy who breaks into your house in New York.

The issue I think was the men who beat him were not aware he was trying to steal a car, they just beat him anyways.

Hmmm. I'm not sure, and I didn't read that in the press coverage I found.

I did see that they were quoted as saying something like "this is what happens when you try to steal from us..." during the attack, so I'm guessing that they at least suspected that was what had brought them there.

I wonder if this might not have been the first such commuter car theft in the area, and if there might not have been some history (specific to these individuals, I mean) we're missing out on.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

And here I was trying to figure out why bats would attack someone, and if they did, did he get rabies, and why was it in SC???

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I remember reading about the no previous knowledge part in the Dallas Morning Star when this happened. The way they had it phrased there was some recent thefts and he was "casing the joint" and they caught him and beat him for it. Earlier in the night they had actually attempted to steal a car but the attackers whre unaware of that and just suspected them of the previous thefts. Things might have changed since the day after the beatings though so I might be outdated on my info.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The issue I think was the men who beat him were not aware he was trying to steal a car, they just beat him anyways.

Hmmm. I'm not sure, and I didn't read that in the press coverage I found.

I did see that they were quoted as saying something like "this is what happens when you try to steal from us..." during the attack, so I'm guessing that they at least suspected that was what had brought them there.

I wonder if this might not have been the first such commuter car theft in the area, and if there might not have been some history (specific to these individuals, I mean) we're missing out on.

The attackers had no knowledge of any crime (other than 'walking while black'). One of the attackers (Frank Agostini) testified to this. He also backed up the victim's testimony that the word "nigger" was used repeatedly, that one victim (Moore) was beaten with a bat while unconscious, putting him in critical condition. The attackers further went on to make their "lily white" neighborhood safe by robbing the vicitims of clothing and jewelry.

I sincerely hope this goes beyond what you might do while "pretty angry".

jen
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

Let's try this version and call it news instead of spin.

NEW YORK (a real paper) -- A man has been released from the hospital two weeks after he was beaten with a baseball bat in an attack in the Howard Beach section of Queens.

Glen Moore, 22, suffered a fractured skull in the attack last month by three men, authorities said. He was recuperating at home after leaving the hospital Wednesday, according to his stepfather, Thomas Eison.

''He's trying to relax and take it easy,'' Eison said. ''He's trying to enjoy his first day home.''

Two of the alleged attackers have been charged with robbery and assault. The third man was being described as a witness.

that's better

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I heard they just took the tennis shoes off the guy?

Keep in mind, these were 3 bad guys looking for trouble in the wrong neighborhood, and they found it. They were definitely out looking to steal cars. One of those bad guys was busted less than a week later for armed robbery on the subway (..stealing another guy's necklace off his neck, after jacking a round into the chamber to demonstrate the gun was real). It _does not_ take a rocket scientist to look at some of these people and realize they have less than altruistic motives in mind.

Like I said earlier, I'm a moderate man. But, turning the other cheek tends to make you a target, especially in NYC. It doesn't make sense to be rational when you're dealing with irrational people.

And, yes, I'm a rational person.

I heard they just took the tennis shoes off the guy?

Keep in mind, these were 3 bad guys looking for trouble in the wrong neighborhood, and they found it. They were definitely out looking to steal cars. One of those bad guys was busted less than a week later for armed robbery on the subway (..stealing another guy's necklace off his neck, after jacking a round into the chamber to demonstrate the gun was real). It _does not_ take a rocket scientist to look at some of these people and realize they have less than altruistic motives in mind.

Like I said earlier, I'm a moderate man. But, turning the other cheek tends to make you a target, especially in NYC. It doesn't make sense to be rational when you're dealing with irrational people.

And, yes, I'm a rational person.

No, they weren't angels and yes, they testified they were there to steal a car (why they did this baffles me). You had three other white guys who were out looking for trouble also. At least the victims have given one story. The attackers have claimed a number of things. One initially claimed the blacks tried to rob him and held a screwdriver to his neck. He later changed it to earlier in the night the three blacks had threated to rob the third (uncharged) attacker (who is now backing the victims' version).

I have no problem for law breakers to be given jail time for their crimes, but beaten near death with a baseball bat ...and then robbed of shoes and jewelry???

What's scary is hearing people calling themselves "rational" and "moderate" advocating this type vigilante justice.

jen
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

I hope the cops in your town are always diligent (and effective) and your neighborhood always safe. That's the best case scenario.

BTW, moderate != passive.

I think a baseball bat beating is out of line. But I don't know how responsive the cops are in this area which would be the correct and civilized approach.

But I do know that the same people that will call this attack hideous and racist are the same people that think cops are all crooked and wouldn't do anything anyway. So what do you do when criminals come to your neighborhood? I'm really at a loss.

Actually, it just sounds like two sets of creeps to me.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/14/nyregion/14howard.html

Mr. Moore, 22, of St. Albans, Queens, was walking in Howard Beach with two other young black men about 3 a.m. on June 29 when they were attacked by three white men. The three white men later told the police that they feared Mr. Moore and his friends were going to rob them.

This is a really good article describing it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/30/nyregion/30beach.html?ex=1121486400&en=90f0284d32b481f6&ei=5070

The details in the new attack, which were still emerging last night, appeared to be in some ways more complicated. Mr. Minucci, the accused, said that the three black men might have been looking at his jewelry earlier last week, and that he was responding to that when he came across them around 3 a.m. yesterday. For their part, two of the black men, according to police, admitted under questioning that they had been in the area with hopes of stealing a car.

But one law enforcement official said that at the time of the attack, the black men had done nothing more than be in Howard Beach around 3 a.m. And another official said that Mr. Minucci told investigators that after the beating, his companion said, "This is what you get if you want to rob white boys," finishing the sentence with a racial epithet.

Of note here is the attacker has already been arrested and convicted of assult while a minor and the victim also has a police (and military) record.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Let's try this version and call it news instead of spin.

NEW YORK (a real paper) --...

that's better

I believe the original poster was reproducing an Associated Press story. Not that I'm any great judge of comparative journalism, but I had had always thought the Associated Press was fairly well respected.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com