CanuckInUSA

NHL Player Jeremy Roenick is a complete asshole

Even though I'm sure he could/would kick my ass, I would love to tell Philadelphia Flyers Jeremy Roenick what an asshole he is for publicly stating that hockey fans upset at the NHL players for the lost NHL season should stay away from the game if/when the NHL does start up again based on his comments found here the other day. What a jerk. What you have is millionaires arguing with billionaires and we the fans who are upset are now being told to stay away. Okay Mr. Roenick I'll tell you what. I used to be a season ticket holder of the Colorado Avalanche (costing me more than 11k/year not counting playoffs). Since you don't want me to go to the NHL games anymore, I won't. I will take my money and use it to skydive instead. What a jerk. >:(

PRESTO, Pa. (AP) -- Philadelphia Flyers center Jeremy Roenick has some advice for hockey fans who blame the NHL lockout on players' greed: Once it's finally settled, stay home.

``We're going to try to make it better for everybody, period, end of subject. And if you don't realize that, then don't come,'' said Roenick, who spoke at a charity golf event he played in over the weekend.

``We don't want you at the rink, we don't want you in the stadium, we don't want you to watch hockey,'' he said Saturday at the Mario Lemieux Celebrity Invitational in suburban Pittsburgh.

The NHL and the players' association have been in almost daily negotiations to get a new collective bargaining agreement after the lockout that canceled the 2004-05 season.

``I say personally, to everybody who called us 'spoiled,' you guys are just jealous ... we have tried so, so hard to get this game back on the ice,'' Roenick said.

Like New York Rangers right wing Jaromir Jagr, who came out last week and admitted that the union's gamble didn't pay off, Roenick said he doesn't think the players can get a good deal at this point.

``I know we are going to give up probably more than any union has ever given up in the history of (professional) sports and, to me, I think that's enough to bring the fans back -- to know what their players are going to give up as much as they have in the last year,'' Roenick said. ``If people are going to chastise professional athletes who are making a lot of money they need to look at the deal we are probably going to end up signing in the next three weeks.''

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

amen buddy...

i haven't been to or watched an MLB game since they all went on strike all those years ago. fuck 'em if they can't see the big picture.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

Try not to worry about things you have no control over. And, you didn't quote the "kiss my ass" portion of his comments. For those who haven't heard, he told the griping fans to "kiss my ass."

This will, however, NOT keep me from watching hockey. It won't. Jeremy Roenick does not speak for hockey. I just simply will no longer count him as one of my favorite players.

Hockey, please come back...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Hockey is my favorite team sport. I will always love the game. But Jeremy Roenick can KISS MY ASS anytime he wants to and yes I doubt I will ever spend $$$ on going to another NHL game for a long long time. Those millionaires who like to fight with billionaires have priced me out of their market. I'd much rather spend the money on jumping. :ph34r:

By the looks of things, the Player's Union ought to sign an offer immediately before the Union agrees on a deal requiring the players to pay a few thousand dollars per game to play in the NHL.

The players gambled, and they appear to be losing and losing BIG!

And Roenick can KMA, too.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Since you don't want me to go to the NHL games anymore, I won't. I will take my money and use it to skydive instead. What a jerk.

I agree........

and for the 11K a year..........you could set up a really nice "media room" to watch the overpaid primadonnas should they decide to return to "work":P
Marc SCR 6046 SCS 3004

I miss so much stuff not watching TV . . . do people actually get worked up over athlete labor disputes?

:D:SB|;):)

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I thought he was a good guy till I read that.If I were the rest of the players I would go to great lengths to distace myself from that self serving attitude wich he displays with such confidece. Being a hoser myself suffering from withdrawal I played nearly twice a week and watch tons of junior hockey last season. Fuck all those guys and their millions. They'll find out that there is much more to hockey than the NHL. I think they've shot themselvs in the foot and Roenick showed what he is really made of. Ehy.

I miss so much stuff not watching TV . . . do people actually get worked up over athlete labor disputes?

:D:SB|;):)

mh

the same could be said about those nerds posting to some internet message board! wait a minute... :D
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

Why assume others should take their recreation less passionately than you do yours?

What if they cancelled skydiving in the US for a year because the DZOs couldn't agree with their celebrity pilot's (invenitng a couple of collective bargaining organizations for the sake of argument)?

Then as you spent the jump year on the ground those highly paid pilots ;) went abroad and flew at foreign DZs for far less than they ever earned here in the USA. Finally a pilot turns around and tells you to "kiss my ass" because you didn't take their side in the dispute, saying "When we get back to flying we don't want you on the DZ, stay home" as if it's his call.

Damn, I hate those fucking pilots :P:P:P

there is a distinction there - we participate in skydiving, we don't watch it.

Frankly, the hockey strike was great for me - freed up more time for the local sports channel to play sports I care about.

Obvious for hocky fans or many people/businesses in San Jose, it was not so good.

>Why assume others should take their recreation less passionately
>than you do yours?

?? I don't think we're talking about people who play hockey recreationally. I used to do that, and as far as I know, I still can. They haven't closed the ice rinks down here, at least. From what little I know of the hockey thing, the big stink was that it wasn't on TV for a year, not that they weren't allowed to play hockey.

I think the corollary here would be if they cancelled Nationals one year amidst much bitching over costs or something. Would be a bit of a disappointment, but there's always the NSL.

They don't play hockey they watch hockey recreationally. Without them there would be no professional hockey league.

In my analogy you don't fly a plane you jump recreationally. Without you there would be no DZs.

Bill, it's OK you're a hockey fan whuffo, you're not expected to get it.

>They don't play hockey they watch hockey recreationally. Without
>them there would be no professional hockey league.

Ah, so the analogy would be that they stop showing skydiving on TV?

>In my analogy you don't fly a plane you jump recreationally.

I'm so confused . . . I'm clearly out of my element with this sports-fan thing.

Bill you (or whoever said it) is right that we shouldn't get worked up about professional sports. I mean there are so many better things in life to do that to watch these spoiled millionaires complaining to billionaires. But at the same time, the NHL players are the best hockey players in the world and watching the skill at a live NHL game is a thrill to true hockey fans. But when guys like Roenick snub their noses at the people they most need to suck up to (the fans), you've got to wonder about their characters. But I gave up my season tickets just in time before the strike because I weighed the entertainment value I was getting for my $230 per game (for two seats ... yes they were very good seats ... just ask Remster ... I once took him to a game) because I was having way more fun spending my $230 at the DZ (which is 1-2 solid days of jumping) compared to the three hours of entertainment the NHL was giving me. I had no trouble selling my Avs tickets when one of the top teams came to town, but nobody wanted to buy the games when one of the basement dwellers came calling. In my opinion Gary Bettman is the leagues worst ever commissioner. He's the one who started the latest round of expansion which watered down the talent levels of the NHL. He's the one who was in command and never properly addressed the clutching-and-grabbing style which resulted in countless 1-0 and/or scoreless games. Remember the freewheeling style of play the NHL had back in the late 80s with teams like the Edmonton Oilers? Now that was some good hockey to watch.

Finally ...

Do you guys remember when some (not all) of the '98 US Olympic hockey team trashed the hotel rooms when they didn't do well in the tournament? Roenick was on that team. And after his remarks this weekend one has to wonder who really did act like such a child when he didn't get his way. :)

In my analogy you don't fly a plane you jump recreationally. Without you there would be no DZs.

Are you kidding - there would still be plenty of tandem mills out there!

Just when you think an analogy has been taken too far & too literally soemone comes along and......

I'm so confused . . . I'm clearly out of my element with this sports-fan thing.

The point is it's easy to belittle other people's choices, but they're not that different from you or me. Skydivers would squeal like a stuck pigs if they couldn't skydive for a season over an issue like this. There are many sports fans who get as much out of watching their game as we do out of jumping. If you're going to critique the human condition then smug condescention might not be the best tone to adopt, given your membership in the club.

I think Bettman should be forced out of his position for not fufilling his duty of attaining an new agreement with the players. As should goodenow or however you spell his name. On a posotive note next fall the Russian junior team will challenge Canada to 2 games right here in Saskatoon. After the tournament last year its will be a fine game. I'll be there with no shirt on hollering like a madman.

>Skydivers would squeal like a stuck pigs if they couldn't skydive for
>a season over an issue like this. There are many sports fans who
>get as much out of watching their game as we do out of jumping.

I guess that I won't ever see watching something as being similar to doing something. They are fundamentally different to me. But that's just me - if someone out there wants to watch sports, or even wants to get all worked up over a professional athlete who yells at someone, then that's fine. Just because I don't get it doesn't mean they can't do it.

Neither will I, but is that's how someone gets their jollies good luck. Once somethings in your blood....

Some people fish and get excited about that, that's doing something but frankly I'd rather watch a something, then again I'd rather be skydiving or paragliding.

Theres this old saying, something about sound, fury and their significance?
Bill....you aren't missing stuff. There are benefits to refusing to turn over your visual cortex to someone else's marketing agenda. I don't watch TV either. It sucked all my friends' brains out and left behind people obsessed with watching "friends". All ten mind numbing years of it, or however long that was on the air. Much like every sitcom I've happily missed in my last happily tv-less 15 years I was never able to force myself to sit through even one full episode. As soon as they cut to first commercial and the volume doubles to make DAMN sure you pay attention to the lobotomized soccer mom apparently having an orgasm over the incredible cleanness of dishes washed in the latest colorful consumer cleaning chemical- Poof I'm gone, A.D.D. break, go do something else like compose the world's longest run-on sentence. What was I watching? Does it matter? Why bother?
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.