lawrocket

Asshole Murdering Street Racers

Note:

Both suspects were captured. The one in the vehicle that struck her was in a neighboring county in the hospital under an assumed name. Intiial reports suggest that the race was planned. Both are up on murder 2 charges and hit and run.

The driver who hit Diana is also up on child endangerment for the injuries he caused to his 15 year old half brother.

The driver who killed her has expressed great remorse over it. Ofc ourse, not enough to turn himself in or use his real name. I feel torn because I do feel bad for him for what he's facing, but I also believe he deserves everything he gets.

I fucked up when I was 21, too. But never anything remotely approaching this... They both should have known better.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The driver who killed her has expressed great remorse over it. Of course, not enough to turn himself in or use his real name.

I would guess that he feels great remorse over getting caught. >:(

Edit:

I wonder how long it will be before him or his parents blame either "The fast and the furious" movies or racing video games on what happened. [:/]

But if he'd have crashed at that speed, his EMT friend would still call an ambulance. If insurance doesn't pay (and shouldn't in this case), and our biker buddy can't afford medical treatment out of pocket, who foots the bill just so they can get some irrational jollies?

We have too many uninsured folks in our own sport to even discuss such notions.

You are quite incorrect:

A study being released today by Harvard University's Center for Risk Analysis estimates a rate of 2,600 deaths a year in such crashes, compared with the same researchers' estimate of 1,000 fatalities only two years ago.

http://www.hcra.harvard.edu/cellphones.html

Again, we could take such headlines at face value, and not bother with reading:
"A new evaluation by the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis (HCRA) estimates that the use of cell phones by drivers may result in approximately 2,600 deaths, 330,000 injuries, and 1.5 million instances of property damage in America per year. But because the data on cell phone use by motorists are still limited, the range of uncertainty is wide. The estimate of fatalities ranges between 800 and 8,000, and the estimate of injuries is between 100,000 and 1 million."

Your 2600 is a WAG. Even their guess is a range that is an order of magnitude. Better put, they have no fucking clue. They made a guess of the risk profile of 13 per million (but might be between 4 and 42) for using a phone, counted the estimate number of cell phone users, and gave us this number.

I would guess that he feels great remorse over getting caught.

I second that. As he sits in jail, is he thinking about the innocent lives he's ruined? I bet he's thinking about his own future... nothing more.

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

Actually, I don't you have any knowledge of how they arrived at the estimate. But if you want to call them, go for it. Even given the bottom end of their range (800) the problem is bigger ie more likely to encounter with fatal result than street racing.

Factors of the WAG as you indicate I am sure include people not admitting cell phone usage. Perhaps in part because people like you are arguing that it is not THAT big a problem.

I don't understand why this argument persists. I have indeed said street racing is irresponsible and a problem and in effect added "...but you know what else is big problem that people overlook?" And instead of conceding that more people kill other by driving with cell phones you continue to argue about exactly how many.

Exactly how many people should the range or number include before you think it might be worth devoting at least as much attention to as street racers?
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Exactly how many people should the range or number include before you think it might be worth devoting at least as much attention to as street racers?

A real number. Not an imagined probability multiplied by a population size.

To me, guys weaving through heavy traffic at 20 over are street racing, and they cause quite a lot of fatalities. I listed the 3 major concerns - drinking, speeding, tailgaiting. Cell phones are down with eating and putting on makeup.

Your response is completely sensational.

From every best guess, even at the smallest range, cell phones cause more fatalities than street racing. Pretty hard to say you weren't street racing.

For giggles, find a law enforcement officer and ask what they think about cell phones, or the legislatures that are outlawing it. Why would they think it was a problem?

Yet in your mind because street racing is flashier it is more of a problem.

Do you understand the concept that thousands of people practicing a minor indiscration can cause more carnage than hundreds of people practicing a major one? You have to multiply the participants by the probability of incident.

For a gross exageration in an effort to make a point: Single murders are more common than mass murders. Yet because of a higher incidence rate, they cause more deaths.
--

THATS GREAT! I agree with the other posts I am sure the only source of regret for the punk that killed her is that he was caught and is facing serious penalties as a result. :|

Hopefully they are both truly punished and not given a slap on the wrist because they are young.

I agree with the other post that it will most likely be blamed on movies like Fast and the Furious and such by the families which is truly a shame because you will also get the ones saying they just made a mistake and we shouldn't ruin their lives as a result but those same ones won't be saying much about the deceased lady's kids >:(

Only skydivers know why the birds sing!

Jim

Hey at least I have been using numbers....you are just sitting there going "Nuh uh....I have a cell phone, it's never hurt noone."

I can make up numbers too, if it makes you happy.

Do this - find me 5 actual accidents resulting in fatalities where the cell phone was the culprit.

I'll keep talking on mine, but at least you'll have real events to work with.

Do this - find me 5 actual accidents resulting in fatalities where the cell phone was the culprit.

Do the 3 homicides of the west LA cell phone beater/serial killer count as 3 or just 1? Of course this was when cell phones were much heavier and beefier.

Or only when a cell phone gets up on it's own accord and kills someone (like SUVs do). Then that's more supernatural object possession. I can only think of 2. Then it's less of a cell phone entity and more of a poltergeist using the cell phone as a host.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Seriously?! I don't have time for that, nor do I have anyway how to get immediate access to law enforcment figures.
I accepted some numbers from a Harvard Risk Assessment study, I kinda figured they had more time and more knowledge on the subject than I do.

Even if I could find 5, what does thta prove? Find me 5 actual accidents where street racing was the culprit? Then 10?

At this point, I feel you are just being belligerent. The only point I had to start with in this thread was that other things are a bigger menace due to the people willingness to participate in a 'minor' driving distraction. I think you point of view has proved that rather nicely.

You keep talking on your cell phone, and I hope that it never causes you a problem. If it does, I hope someone points out your words in this thread.

I am done with this argument, the numbers are there, and legislators all over the country are talking about restricting cell phone usage while driving. That is enough for me.
--

At this point, I feel you are just being belligerent. The only point I had to start with in this thread was that other things are a bigger menace due to the people willingness to participate in a 'minor' driving distraction. I think you point of view has proved that rather nicely.

Well, you're wrong. Street racing is a far greater menace than cell phones, with no redeeming value. It's not that hard to find ways to do it more safely, but quite a few choose not to think.

Diana's funeral had standing room only in a large church. Closed casket.

I understand your point, flyingferret. But asking whether cell-phones are a great menace than street-racers is like asking whether this post is as well-reasoned as it is long. They are tough to compare, but must be viewed in their own universes.

I can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that there are probably millions, if not tens of millions, of cell phone calls made from cars every day. And that there are likely hundreds, if not thousand of stret races every day. If the deaths caused by millions of cell phone calls every day are comparable to the deaths caused by hundreds or thousands of street races every day, which one is riskier?

My wife is hotter than your wife.