larsrulz

Any Gun Connoisseurs?

Just found out a few days ago that my grandpa got a German Luger while he was in Italy during WWII. After my grandma passed away last month, it was one of the items that was up for family taking. As my two uncles were planning to just sell it, I managed to get it. Not currently in my possession, but anyone know the value of such a handgun? I don't know if it comes with a holster or matching magazines or any such things, but I am pretty sure it is in very good condition and never fired since the war (as my dad didn't even know about it). I certainly don't plan to sell it or get any special insurance policy for it, so no need for an official appraisal, just curious.

Thanks in advance!

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

German Luger... anyone know the value of such a handgun?

Anywhere from $700 up to about $2,500 for the most common varieties. These were made in many different countries, many different versions, and many different quantities. Some of the more rare ones can go as high as $10,000. When you get your hands on it, let me know what the markings are on the gun, and I'll try and be more precise. I have the "Official Price Guide to Antique and Modern Firearms" book.

Congrats on snatching up a real unique piece of history.

Seems like a pretty high value to me. I just did a quick search of and found them from $300 up to a $950 for a 95% condition rated example.

If you don't plan on selling it or insuring it, then whatever number you end up feeling comfortable with is just trivial.

Nevertheless a great collectors piece that I hope you keep.

I own a Roth Steyr 1907 in great condition that I don't think I will ever sell. I have know idea of the value. If one was to sell a gun like this, there is a limited market willing to purchase other than those looking to turn a profit.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

In the Blue Book of Gun Values there are 15 pages of Luger pistol variations. Carefully copy or photograph all of the markings and go to a library that has an appropriate reference. The range truly could be several hundred to tens of thousands of dollars.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I own a Roth Steyr 1907 in great condition that I don't think I will ever sell. I have know idea of the value. If one was to sell a gun like this, there is a limited market willing to purchase other than those looking to turn a profit.

Saw one at auction just a month ago - I think it went for about 1400.00

Interesting look to it -

Carpe Diem

Well then again I think your book may be flawed. I have seen it go on Gunbroker for over a grand in fair condition and have also saw brokers asking up to $2500.

Again I have no idea what it is worth but I was offered much more 10 years ago when I first began looking for some history on it and to see if I could buy ammo for it.(steyr 8mm). As I have no intention of selling it, the value is a moot point but I would not trust the values of your book to much.

Edited to add. The 1907's with a price near $2500 are including a holster. Collectiblefirearms.com is asking $750 just for the holster. They have a couple of 1907's also.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

On another note I put up a 1911 rail gun for sale yesterday and recieved numerous offers already. A couple of trade offers include guns I have little experience with. I had mentioned in the ad I was selling it to get another 1911 without a rail.

I have been offered a Kimber CDP Pro, and also a USP .45 tactical that I unfamiliar with. Any opinions on these. I know quite a few people that have had problems with Kimbers and broken extractors so I am a little leery about them. I have also had an offer on a SA Custom Loaded that is very tempting. I never expected so many offers in one day. I was not even sure I wanted to sell it that bad! I was kinda just seeing what the market was for it.

Josh

Don't sell it, keep passing in down.

I found a German Model 98 rifle over here in Iraq.
It was stamped 1943 and also had a swastika on the reciever and bolt. It was well kept.
I had tears in my eyes when I had to turn it in for destruction.:(
What a shame...

I found a German Model 98 rifle over here in Iraq.
It was stamped 1943 and also had a swastika on the reciever and bolt. It was well kept.
I had tears in my eyes when I had to turn it in for destruction.:(
What a shame...

Dude, that's just not right. [:/]

For the job you guys are doing over there, they should let you keep those kinds of goodies. Thanks for all you're doing. We'll save a spot on the load for when you get back.

I found a German Model 98 rifle over here in Iraq. I had tears in my eyes when I had to turn it in for destruction.

There are plenty of those available on the surplus market that can be had for about $200. You can buy one when you get back home.

Thank you for your service.

The tacticle version has a threaded barrel for a suppressor

To be clear: this is highly illegal in the U.S. without special permission from the BATF - up to 10 years in prison - just for having some threads on a gun barrel, whether you have a silencer to screw onto the threads or not.

To be clear: this is highly illegal in the U.S. without special permission from the BATF - up to 10 years in prison - just for having some threads on a gun barrel, whether you have a silencer to screw onto the threads or not.

Well there is surely no shortage of people selling them which is odd if it is that illegal. I can buy this gun new from many dealers for $900 to $1000 in several different states.

I have also found several used ones for sale. It would seem like a good deal for me since the guy wants to throw in some cash on top of it but I don't think it is what I am looking for. I will have to look into the BATF deal, but something just does not seem right.

Hi John,
There are no Federal laws prohibiting the sale or possession of firearms with threaded barrels that I am aware of.

A silencer, or "can" as they are commonly called is an NFA item and simply requires the proper forms and background check be approved prior to transfer by a licensed class 3 FFL dealer. There is a "registration" fee required that is essentially a tax stamp.

Although private ownership of full auto firearms and silencers is allowed under federal law, some states (such as CA) have chosen to prohibit private (individual) ownership altogether under state law.

Hope this clarifies things.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

Suppresors are illegal here in Illinois but I was looking into them when I was in Wisconsin. No problem to own if you pay the $200 tax and wait about 90 days. A suppressed .22 is what I was looking at and is very quiet.

There are no Federal laws prohibiting the sale or possession of firearms with threaded barrels that I am aware of.

Was this part of the "assault weapon ban", which has now expired and no longer applies? I know there was a prohibition on threaded barrels at one time, even if you just wanted to attach a simple flash suppressor, to rifles like the AR15.