SpeedRacer

Brazil moving away from petroleum.

I am not sure how that one works.... Let's see.
Oil $55/barrel - 55gal/barrel = $1.00/gal of oil.
Must be refined so add another $.5/gal

So gas is approx $1.50/gal.
State tax $.40/gallon
Fed Tax $.18/gal (guesses mind you)

$2.08/ gallon.
I don't see how the taxpayer is subsidizing it, if we are paying a tax to use it.

It's hard to argue with numbers you pull out of thin air.

google for "social cost of gas" and you'll see some of the other costs. Yes, most of the sources are leftist, but you can't discount the added costs 100% because of that.

The lowball is $5/gallon, the high is well over 10. So if one wants to argue that the market price will fix our SUV lust, we need the appropriate price to see it happen. Just getting up to 2.50 started the process.

I am not sure how that one works.... Let's see.
Oil $55/barrel - 55gal/barrel = $1.00/gal of oil.
Must be refined so add another $.5/gal

So gas is approx $1.50/gal.
State tax $.40/gallon
Fed Tax $.18/gal (guesses mind you)

$2.08/ gallon.
I don't see how the taxpayer is subsidizing it, if we are paying a tax to use it.

It's hard to argue with numbers you pull out of thin air.

google for "social cost of gas" and you'll see some of the other costs. Yes, most of the sources are leftist, but you can't discount the added costs 100% because of that.

The lowball is $5/gallon, the high is well over 10. So if one wants to argue that the market price will fix our SUV lust, we need the appropriate price to see it happen. Just getting up to 2.50 started the process.

Agreed. Sources *may* be leftist, but environmental cleanup, cost of treating respiratory illnesses, etc., are still very real costs which are, for the most part, not included in the price of a gallon of gas.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Another thing...is corn really a clean fuel source? To gorw corn requires at least three things from man...fertilizer (probably a PETROCHEMICAL), pesticides (probably a PETROCHEMICAL) and water (often in limited supply and polluted from the use/overuse of PETROCHEMICAL fertilizers and pesticides)
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Corn is a far cleaner source of fuel than crude oil.

It takes millions of years to capture carbon in the form of oil but, only about 110 days to do it with a crop of corn. The use of fertilizer, and herbicides helps the crop to better capture the energy of the sun and the carbon in the air to create the kernels of corn. The remainder of the plant is worked back into the soil and breaks down to help feed the next crop. Water use really shouldn't be a huge concern because most of the corn is produced in areas with adequate rain fall or a very plentiful source of water.

Further more if you spill ethanol it is no worse than if you spilled some Jack Daniels. Thats not the case with gasoline.

By the way I do realize that you cannot get pure ethanol. Even when it leaves the plant were it is produced it is denatured with about 5% gasoline in order to keep from having to pay liquor tax on it.

>The problem with renewable fuel, i.e. "ethanol", is that it is harmful
> to existing engines if used in high concentrations. Special engines
>would be required to burn it at full strength.

True to some degree, but we're getting there. Every new-car engine in the US is designed to run on E10 (10% ethanol) and thus car fuel systems are now able to deal with ethanol to some degree. Most cars have no problem running on up to 85% ethanol with nothing more than a software change. I've been running on concentrations from 30-50% for a few months now with no problems. Even if you use E85 in most engines (i.e. 85% ethanol) generally the only bad result is that you get a check-engine light, since the computer has to significantly change the mixture to maintain complete combustion.

In addition, several companies (like Ford) have been making true E85-compatible cars for quite some time now. They can take any mixture of ethanol and gasoline without setting an error code.

BTW ethanol gives you more power (due to the greater oxygen content) but lower fuel economy (since you need more fuel per stroke for complete combustion.) It also lowers emissions overall.

>That's going to take a long time to change, and there has to be
> infrastructure where every gas station sells it, and so on...

Well, a lot of gas stations are already selling E10, so E85 won't be too much of a change - just a different formulation at the refinery. It may take the place of middle-grade fuel or something.