Gravitymaster

Racism still exists.

Man claims racism at conference

Posted 05/24/05
BAKERSFIELD - In a recent effort to tackle race relations, some county social workers were sent to New Orleans to a conference held by the National Association of Black Social Workers.

Brian Parnell said he and his co-workers attended the conference, but Parnell said he wasn’t allowed inside because of the color of his skin.

Parnell is Caucasian, and he said he never made it in the conference.

“I approached the registration table and was greeted by a very friendly fellow who looked me in the eye and said, ‘Are you black?’” said Parnell. “I told him that I'm not and he told me that the conference was only for people who were black and so I wasn't able to register to attend the conference.”

Convinced the individual had mis-spoke, Parnell said he contacted his fellow co-workers and his superior in Bakersfield.

“I was able to speak with a conference chair at the conference who basically reiterated to me the same thing that Brian has been told,” said, Parnell’s supervisor, Pat Cheadle.

“I was shocked,” said Parnell. “I was surprised that in 2005, I could be singled out because of the color of my skin.”

The organization’s website is down, but the Dallas Chapter website is running. While it doesn’t overtly exclude other races, it does focus on empowering the black community.

Local attorney Richard Papst said since the organization is non-profit and tax-exempt, if the discrimination occurred, there could be huge consequences.

“They could lose their tax-exempt status and then be subject to all the usual tax obligations that everybody else has,” said Papst.

Parnell hasn’t decided whether to take legal action, but he has filed a civil rights claim with the federal government.

No one from the National Association of Black Social Workers were available to comment at this time.

http://www.kget.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=89FECCFB-0323-4F0A-A7F2-CC44CE18A780

While this is upsetting, I still believe that this is probably a statistical outlier. This is making news because it simply doesn't happen too often.

Still, I don't think that this association should have to take in a white guy if it doesn't want to. Let them decide who they want in and out, then let the excluded persons let everyone know what assholes they are.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

While this is upsetting, I still believe that this is probably a statistical outlier. This is making news because it simply doesn't happen too often.

Still, I don't think that this association should have to take in a white guy if it doesn't want to. Let them decide who they want in and out, then let the excluded persons let everyone know what assholes they are.

Unfortunately these type of organizations generally don't care whether everyone thinks they are assholes or not. The type of person who would join isn't likely to be affected by their policies and is simply associating themselves with like kind.

Don't you know that it's not discrimination unless you're on the "list." If you're white, then you're definately NOT on the list. It's the power dynamics of our world. By keeping you out, the black social workers somehow (I'm not sure if it's real or imagined....probably imagined) moderate the power among the social worker class....

But in the big scheme, it doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Even thought they get tax and other advantages as a not-for-profit organization?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

the National Association of Black Social Workers

These guys sound like racists to me. Just look at these excerpts from their web site. (NABSW)

"Membership in NABSW is open to Black people working in human services and is not predicated upon degree or experience."

But it is apparently predicated upon skin color.

"no Black person, except the selfish or irrational, can claim neutrality in the quest for Black liberation"

"Our activities will be guided by our Black consciousness, our determination to protect the security of the Black community and to serve as advocates to relieve suffering of Black people by any means necessary."

By ANY means necessary? Wow. Even illegal means?
How is "black" consciousness different from "white" consciousness when it comes to social welfare work? Does this imply that white people don't care about blacks?

"I regard as my primary obligation the welfare of the Black individual, Black family, and Black community"

Um, excuse me, but as a welfare worker your obligation is to the needy, regardless of skin color. Making blacks your primary obligation, implies that you will discriminate against whites, by considering their needs as secondary in importance.

"I adopt the concept of a Black extended family and embrace all Black people as my brothers and sisters, making no distinction between their destiny and my own"

But not those darned white families!

"I accept the responsibility to protect the Black community against unethical and hypocritical practice by any individuals or organizations engaged in social welfare activities.''

But not the white (oh, excuse me, I'm supposed to capitalize that: White) community?

These are some fine ethics, but they should be applied to everyone, not just blacks.

I'm not impressed with this organization. They apparently think this organization is needed to combat some kind of racism, but then they go and commit the same kind of racism in reverse...

"I accept the responsibility to protect the Black community against unethical and hypocritical practice by any individuals or organizations engaged in social welfare activities.''

Apparently, they violated this one in forwarding unethical and hypocritical practices...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Now why oh why would a white guy go to a conference held by the National Association of Black Social Workers?

Maybe he's a thrill seeker.

For a long time I have fantasized about walking into a really sleazy biker bar and yelling, "Who's the f*aggot that owns the black Harley parked out front?!!!". The fantasy continues with me running like hell and getting away!

Maybe the guy was wanting to go to the conference, wait for a really heated Q&A session, then stand up and say, "Listen you bunch of fried chicken eatin', watermellon thumpin', ain't never heard of birth control, basketball bouncin', nappy-headed, ebonics-talkin', welfare cheatin', always whinin' about slavery when you ain't never been near a farm, Clinton-votin', loud-rap-music-listenin', chitlin' cookin', malt liquor drinkin', pimp 'n' ho dressin', yellin' loud at the movies, crack smokin', can't swim cause ya' sink, back alley dice shootin' fools! I think white people are better looking and smarter!!!"

That would be some seriously advanced thrill seeking and not for anyone who truly values their health and well being.

Walt

....Clinton-votin'.....

I'm not racist by any means, nor saying you are...........but...........my stomach is hurting I'm laughing so hard at that.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

“I approached the registration table and was greeted by a very friendly fellow who looked me in the eye and said, ‘Are you black?’” said Parnell. “I told him that I'm not and he told me that the conference was only for people who were black and so I wasn't able to register to attend the conference.”

Now picture this...

"I approached the registration table and was greeted by a very friendly fellow who looked me in the eye and said, ‘Are you white?’”. “I told him that I'm not and he told me that the conference was only for people who were white and so I wasn't able to register to attend the conference"

Jesse Jackson would have a field day.

....Clinton-votin'.....

I'm not racist by any means, nor saying you are...........but...........my stomach is hurting I'm laughing so hard at that.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Glad you enjoyed it. My view on racism is that it ain't gonna go away in our lifetime and I'm kind of tired of all the hostility over it.

I'm tired of people talking about how evil racists are. I support everyone's right to be as racist or as non-racist as they want to be. To do otherwise is to try and deprive people of the right to have an opinion on different cultures.

I'm also tired of people supporting the idea that open racism against whites is ok but open racism against anyone else is not.

I'm tired of racism being used as an excuse for lack of effort.

There are loads of people of all colors working very hard to keep the hate and divisiveness alive. That's their trip, not mine. I have little respect for the NAACP, Jesse Jackson, or the KKK. I do have slightly more respect for the KKK than I do Jesse Jackson, but that's only because the KKK is open and honest about their views. Remember Jesse Jackson's "Himeytown" remark?

I don't have much respect for the bleeding heart liberals that want to give a free ride to the "oppressed" groups in this country, either.

I think the idea of having black colleges is kind of bizarre.

If I'm ever required to pay "slave reparations", I want to have a couple of slaves first. Of course, my slaves will be a couple of really hot LOVE slaves, but that's a whole different topic.

Since I'm on a roll here, I'm also tired of all the anti-semetism paranoia and talk of the Holocaust like it happened last week. What Stalin did to his own people made Hitler look pretty weak by comparison. He deserves at least equal billing.

And gay marriage? That's a non-issue. I wish every guy on the planet, except for ME, would be gay. I never get tired of daydreaming about that.

Back to the subject at hand. To me, the whole discussion over racism has gotten way out of hand and I will generally take just about any opportunity to laugh at it.

Enough of my ranting.

Walt

I agree that organizations should be able to take in anyone they want... but I'd add "so long as they're not tax exempt." If they're tax exempt, they should have to follow government non-discrimination standards.

Ditto with the boy scouts. If they want to be tax exempt, they should accept gays and athiests. If they don't want to accept gays and athiests, they shouldn't get a government tax break.

....I have little respect for the NAACP, Jesse Jackson, or the KKK....

Did you forget the ACLU.
I am dealing with them now. I'm a cop. About 9 months ago I stopped a vehicle for not having headlights on at 2:00 a.m. Arrested the driver for having a revoked drivers license. Search of the vehicle after the arrest turned up $7,000 in cash and a little less than a kilo of "black tar heroin". ACLU is defending the man because he is hispanic (saying its a possibility thats why I stopped him) and if they are able to throw my vehicle stop out of court that makes the found cash and drugs inadmissible. He gets to go home with the cash and no conviction of trafficking/selling drugs. AIN'T AMERICA GRAND

....I have little respect for the NAACP, Jesse Jackson, or the KKK....

Did you forget the ACLU.
I am dealing with them now. I'm a cop. About 9 months ago I stopped a vehicle for not having headlights on at 2:00 a.m. Arrested the driver for having a revoked drivers license. Search of the vehicle after the arrest turned up $7,000 in cash and a little less than a kilo of "black tar heroin". ACLU is defending the man because he is hispanic (saying its a possibility thats why I stopped him) and if they are able to throw my vehicle stop out of court that makes the found cash and drugs inadmissible. He gets to go home with the cash and no conviction of trafficking/selling drugs. AIN'T AMERICA GRAND

In fact I did forget about the ACLU. They used to help provide balance in this country, but they have gone so far over the deep end that I think they do a lot more harm than good these days.

Just curious, what led to the search?

Walt

...Just curious, what led to the search?...

The U.S. Supreme Court has stated that any time a person is arrested law enforcement can search that persons "lungeable area". That means if your in a house sitting on a couch the coppers can search the couch and area around the couch that you could have hidden something. If your in a vehicle and are arrested the passenger area of the vehicle can be searched but not the trunk unless something illegal is found in the passenger area.

more info than you wanted I'm sure...:D

...Just curious, what led to the search?...

The U.S. Supreme Court has stated that any time a person is arrested law enforcement can search that persons "lungeable area". That means if your in a house sitting on a couch the coppers can search the couch and area around the couch that you could have hidden something. If your in a vehicle and are arrested the passenger area of the vehicle can be searched but not the trunk unless something illegal is found in the passenger area.

more info than you wanted I'm sure...:D

Definitely NOT more info than I wanted. What I was wondering about, though, rather than the legality of the search, was what made you suspect that the car contained contraband.

Walt

Why would someone be arrested for driving without their lights on... I thought that was just a ticket? Any time I've gotten a ticket, nobody's ever searched my car.

Was there anything beyond the no headlights thing?

I am sorry I might not have been clear, i was using this post to vent about my situation and couldn't type as fast as I was thinking.
He was stopped for not having any headlights on.
He was arrested for having a revoked drivers license.
His license was revoked due to not going to court from an earlier . ticket