SpeedRacer

More f&*king morons making America look like s&*t in the eyes of the world.

The very people who denounce this have been burning American flags and denouncing Americans as dirty infidels for years. I don't have to say it, you know what I am thinking.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

The very people who denounce this have been burning American flags and denouncing Americans as dirty infidels for years. I don't have to say it, you know what I am thinking.

So Condeleeza Rice has been burning flags and denouncing America?

For the record, I think the reaction is pathetic, but I just want to point out that it is not just Muslims who have denounced it.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Yeah, it's hard to say who's the greater morons in this one.

No, actually it's not. Don't see Catholics rioting if someone burns a bible. And it's been centuries since it put a death warrant out on someone for his writings.

Lies....A report form the interrogation logs will show that it was a prisoner that actually tore up the pages and stuffed it in the cell toilet to flood the cell in protest. Well that is what Rush is talking about on the A.M radio right now.

when will it end?

Wow, someone's a little sensitive. :P

You have to wonder about someone who would riot because a book was mistreated half-way around the world. Well, not wonder, so much as stand in awe of the stupidity of some people.

FallRate

KABUL, Afghanistan (Reuters) - Angry protests raged across the Muslim world from Gaza to Indonesia on Friday over a report U.S. interrogators at Guantanamo Bay had desecrated the Koran, with calls for retaliation and a rising death toll.

Governments demanded investigations and thousands took to the streets in outrage over a Newsweek magazine report that interrogators at a U.S. military prison in Cuba had put the Muslim holy book on toilets, in at least one case flushing it down.

In Afghanistan, at least nine people were killed in protests over the report on Friday, bringing the country's death toll to 16 this week in its worst anti-American demonstrations since the fall of the Taliban.

The unrest spread to Pakistan, which called for a U.S. probe. Hundreds of people held a peaceful protest in Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim nation.

In Gaza, several thousand Palestinians marched through a refugee camp in a protest organized by the Islamic militant group Hamas. Several hundred Palestinians also marched in the West Bank city of Hebron.

"The Holy Koran was defiled by the dirtiest of hands, by American hands," a protester shouted at the Jabalya refugee camp in Gaza, where U.S. and Israeli flags were also burned.

The escalating violence prompted Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to urge Muslims on Thursday to resist calls for violence, saying U.S. military authorities were investigating the Koran allegations.

"Disrespect for the Holy Koran is abhorrent to us all," she said.

Muslims consider the Koran the literal word of God, treating each book with deep reverence, and the episode has embarrassed the United States, which has sought closer ties with Muslim allies as it wages its war on terrorism.

In Afghanistan and Pakistan, desecration of the Koran is punishable by death.

DAMAGED REPUTATION

The United States' reputation had already been damaged by photographs released last year of physical and sexual abuse of Muslim prisoners at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

Washington's allies demanded action and an investigation. Indonesia said those responsible must receive a "deserved punishment" for their "immoral action." Pakistan also called for a U.S. probe, and Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of Islam, said it was following the issue with "deep indignation."

Sentiments ran higher in the streets.

"Demonstrations serve no purpose, we should do something practical. I am ready to blow myself up for the sake of my religion to embrace martyrdom," said Mohammad Ghafoor, 18, a student protesting in Peshawar, Pakistan.

Newsweek, in its May 9 edition, quoted sources as saying that investigators probing abuses at the military prison had found that interrogators "had placed Korans on toilets, and in at least one case flushed a holy book down the toilet."

Washington is holding more than 500 prisoners from its war on terrorism at the naval base on Cuba, many of them detained in Afghanistan after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

The report prompted the worst anti-U.S. protests across that fragmented country since Americans invaded to topple Kabul's Islamist Taliban rulers for harboring Osama bin Laden and his al Qaeda network.

On Friday, Islamic clerics in Afghanistan told worshipers at weekly prayers that protests over the reported desecration of the holy book were justified.

They urged Muslims to shun violence, but their words fell on deaf ears as clashes erupted in different parts of the country, claiming at least nine lives, most those of protesters shot by police.

About 100 people have been injured there in days of protests, and police stations, U.N. and aid group offices and government premises have been ransacked and torched.

The United States commands a foreign force in Afghanistan of about 18,300, fighting Taliban insurgents and hunting Taliban and al Qaeda leaders, including bin Laden.

(Additional reporting by Simon Cameron-Moore in Islamabad, Zeeshan Haider and Saeed Ali Achakzai in Chaman, Pakistan, and Nidal al-Mughrahbi in Gaza)

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I'm just sick of hearing about our own people behaving exactly as if they are Osama bin Laden's propaganda tools.

I heard reports that the Koran that ended up in a toilet was put there by a muslim prisoner. Not exactly the same as being flushed by US forces, is it?

Why not wait for some facts to come out before assuming that claims made by anti-us propagandists are true? Prisoners aren't exactly the most reliable sources, you know?

You have to love that "sources tell newsweek" line.
Sources from where? Al Jazeera?

Until something of the email becomes public or some sort of findings are made, well... just call me doubting Thomas.

ps - what's the proper way to spell it in English, "Koran" or "Qur'an"
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

So Condeleeza Rice has been burning flags and denouncing America?

For the record, I think the reaction is pathetic, but I just want to point out that it is not just Muslims who have denounced it.

You'll note Ms. Rice added the words "if it's true" to her statements, rather than starting riots.
witty subliminal message
1*

ps - what's the proper way to spell it in English, "Koran" or "Qur'an"

Qu'ran is the proper way, from my World Religion class in college. The problems come from translating it from Arabic to English. Then again you can spell my name two ways and each one would be correct.

funny, aren't you doing the same thing, judging all Muslims by the actions of a relative view....

"Protests across the muslim world" is a relative few?
witty subliminal message
1*

yp the same thing happened with Quaddafi Khaddafi etc. etc. I think they came up with about a dozen different English spellings for him.

Anyway, OK, it may or may not be true. I sure hope it isn't true. And yes, unfortunately, if it isn't true, those guys probably won't believe it.

Nevertheless, I've seen enough stupid shit happening during this administration. From the president asking Muslim nations to join him in this "crusade" against terrorism (his words!), to the selective pressure & manipulation of information re. Iraq's supposed WMD, to the mishandling of the post-Saddam war in Iraq, to the Abu Ghraib scandal. In spite of this pattern, I am willing to accept the possibility that the Koran defilement scandal might be made up (altho I need someone more reputable than Rush Limbaugh to verify it).

But there is a pattern here folks. Right now there seems to be a disdain for intelligence that doesn't fit the message of the neo-cons. America is currently ruled by a regime that views data & facts as nuisances, and people who rely on them are a bunch of nit-picking liberals. Staying "on message" is more important than actual truth.

Lets just hope we make it through 2008 without any more wars. I don't know how many years it will take to shovel out all the shit we've gotten into from the current one.

:|
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

***"The Holy Koran was defiled by the dirtiest of hands, by American hands," a protester shouted

So, wait, are Americans who practice the Islamic faith allowed to read the Koran? Or are their hands too dirty?

It's just more nonsensical bullshit from yet another one of the bigoted ignoramuses that litter both sides of this religious war.