riggerrob

What type of parachute does your jump-pilot wear?

Pilots are briefed to attach their static-line every time they sit in the cockpit ..... at the same time they fasten seat-belts.
Static-lines usually clip (carabiner or Maillon Rapide) to a seat-belt fitting.
If they have an emergency, they will be way too busy trying to control the airplane, pushing open the door, releasing seat-belts, etc. to remember to connect a S/L late in the process.

Hi Rob,
To my knowledge CIMSA doesn't have anything that's pop top. Paratec on the other hand does have a PEP that's pop top. And I believe Thomas Sports have one as well.
Cheers
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

A cowboy rig is a Parachute rig or part of (harness, container, canopy, pop etc) that someone who knows how to sew and has enough smarts to see what will work. Without any legal approval, has built to try out a new idea, where in this case, no parachute was required at all possibly. That is how much of the transition designs were developed in the early 70's that may still be in use today. To follow the TSO requirements for testing and approval, it is a long, expensive and discouraging road. Too bad there is not an experimental category or a field approval that can be applied to parachutes, like with aircraft, for developing new stuff. This should lite up those who are satisfied with what we have as being as far as we can go with equipment. Let's hear of new developments to take our gear to the next level. Didn't want this reply to get to this point. Just my opinion.

Hi gb1,

Too bad there is not an experimental category or a field approval that can be applied to parachutes

Back in the late 70's - early 80's, a jumper/engineer with Boeing, built a home-made rig. He got a field approval for it. He was not allowed to make them for sale; his use only.

I do not remember his name but he jumped at Issaquah.

Jerry Baumchen

Thank's for the reply. Lurking at the DZ's, I have heard some wonderful suggestions recently from not only experienced jumpers, but from some low time jumpers. Everything from where the rig bites them to the recent toggle fire issues with the undersize metric grommets catching on 1" "soft" toggles. If there was a suggestion box on Gear and Rigging, I bet there would be some pretty good stuff on there for the knowledgeable minds on this site. I have learned much from you all. It takes someone who is not just a pack and maintainer, but a problem solver with the capabilities of an inventor. I am still learning. Thank's