Kennedy

'Time For Book Burning,' according to Anti-Gun Mom

http://www.dailyrecord.com/news/articles/news3-Gunbook.htm

Gun collecting book fires up Boonton mom
Won't let son return it to school, saying it may influence kids

By Rob Seman, Daily Record

BOONTON -- The mother of a fifth-grader at John Hill School said she will not return a book about firearms that her son checked out of the school library because she feels it is inappropriate and possibly dangerous.

Robin Barroso said that two weeks ago her son, Kyle, brought home "Guns of the World: The Complete Collectors and Traders Guide," a book she said includes information on how much various firearms cost, what kind of ammunition is used, their range of firing, and also information on machetes.

The book, which she said was published by Petersen Publishing, was copyrighted in 1977.

"It is definitely not meant for children," Barroso said. "With everything going on in the world this is the last thing my 10-year-old needs to look up."

Barroso said she first called the school district office, which referred her to the school, and, she said, she was eventually referred to the school librarian. Because of schedule conflicts with her job, Barroso and librarian Laurie Maggio-Huber were unable to speak with each other.

"I told the school to charge me for it, it's not going back to the library," Barroso said.

Michael Derczo, the school's principal, said Thursday that the school wants Barroso to return the book and hear her concerns.

"We don't understand what concerns there are, but if the parent wants to express them we're all ears," Derczo said.

"The expectation of the school is, any public property lent out would be returned," Derczo said.

Barroso said she is afraid the book could inspire a child to seek firearms, and noted the recent shooting at a school on an Indian reservation in Minnesota, where a student killed several students and teachers and also took his own life.

"I know my son's not going to do it, but I don't know that somebody else's son is not," Barroso said.

Derczo said that parents can relay concerns about books to the librarian, or fill out a form about books that would be sent to the school, and would be received by him and the superintendent. The school would then evaluate what action to take on the book.

Derczo said the school walks a "delicate line" between censorship and being able to provide information that students could either use for their studies or simply show an interest in.

"In general, we want to make sure what the kids are exposed to is safe, but it's part of history, too," Derczo said.

When asked if other parents should be responsible for allowing their children to read the book, Barroso responded, "not if they (other children) get the gun and my kid is in the class and gets shot."

"It's everybody's responsibility in a community," Barroso said.

Barroso said she restricts the television shows her son can watch to family programming such as Nickelodeon, and does not allow him to play violent video games. Her son often checks out books about cars and nature from the library but selected the firearms book because it seemed "different."

Superintendent Mario Cardinale said he had not heard about Barroso's refusal to return the book.

Cardinale said because he had not read the book, he would not comment negatively or positively about it, but noted that a book about weapons could have some academic value.

For example, he said, teaching the history of the Cold War would be remiss without information about nuclear weapons.

"Because it's about firearms would not automatically disqualify it," Cardinale said. "It could have sincere historical value."

"Obviously if the book isn't given back there's the issue of public property and that's an issue I would be happy to discuss with any parent," Cardinale said.

More "it takes a village" drivel.
More "I know what's best for you whether you like it or not."
More willingness to break the law to impose their ridiculous ideas on others.

More and more disgusting. >:(
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Maybe she should be arrested as a thief?:| Just think what would happen to a person that would do the same thing with a book that supports say...........being gay or that speaks of abortion? The person that might not return a book like that would be arrested then tarred and feathered:S
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

You rock! Great idea!

Ironic how she isn't the slightest bit concerned about the message she's sending by not returning something that doesn't belong to her...

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

...not to mention the idea that hiding information is better than education

or the entire concept of her unilateraly deciding for every user of the library present and future what books they'll be allowed to read.

Boy I just love that open-minded liberalism, don't you?

Truly sad.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

You've just gotta love the "LIBERAL IDIOT".

My own favourite quote:

Barroso said she is afraid the book could inspire a child to seek firearms, and noted the recent shooting at a school on an Indian reservation in Minnesota, where a student killed several students and teachers and also took his own life.

"I know my son's not going to do it, but I don't know that somebody else's son is not," Barroso said.

I wonder how many parents have actually thought or said: "I think that my child is going to shoot up his school when he's older". :S:S:D:D

In the meantime, IF we're going to burn ALL the books & pamphlets about guns, then doesn't that include all the books & pamphlets about gun control? How else can we completely suppress this gun fixation?

IM(nv)HO, this parent should be shackled to a seat with her eyes taped open while "Fahrenheit 451" is played continuously to her!

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

I think they should actually make her read the book Fahrenehit 451.

I'm thinking she should read it to the class, or at the very least help prepare a bulletin board on it.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I just sent the school a new copy of the book via Amazon.com

I hate censorship.

You are a hero and a defender of free speech. Keep on rocking the boat!!!
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

seeing something that's wrong and doing what you can to make it right isn't heroic, it's human. It just took five minutes, a few mouse clicks, and a credit card. The police officers, the firefighters, the military, the people who put their lives on the line to help others are heros. I just mailed a book.

Over the last day or so, I've gotten a few PMs and emails asking for the school's address so they can send a book.

Dr. Michael T. Derczo, Principal
435 Lathrop Avenue
Boonton, NJ 07005-2240

So far, the following books have been sent:

Guns of the World
The R.L. Wilson Official Price Guide to Gun Collecting
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
I know why the caged bird sings - Maya Angelou
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
Harry Potter Boxed Set (all 5 books) - JK Rowling

I think it's really cool that people are doing this. All the books other than the gun guides and Fahrenheit 451 have come from the American Library Association's list of most frequently banned and challenged books.

If anyone else wants to send a book, the lists are linked below. If you like, post here or drop me a PM so I can add your book to the "sent" list so they don't end up with multiple copies of the same book.

http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bbwlinks/100mostfrequently.htm
The American Library Association's list of the top 100 banned or challenged books

http://title.forbiddenlibrary.com/
A more extensive list of banned books

A book about how alcohol affects the body would be perfectly appropriate. A book on college binge drinking and frat parties, maybe not. The subject matter of the gun book (history of firearms, pricing, collecting, and determining value) is fine. Now, if the book were titled "how to shoot up your school", that would probably not be appropriate.

There is an age appropriate way to address virtually every subject from guns to drugs to sex.

To use a different subject, when kids are really little and ask where babies come from, they're told that babies come from inside mommies, and the kids are usually ok with that info. When they get a little older, they ask how the baby gets inside the mommy, and they get the "when a mommy and daddy love each other very much..." explanation. When they're a little older, they start to learn about puberty and sex. When they're a teenager, they probably learn about safer sex and preventing pregnancy.

There's an appropriate explanation for virtually anything at any age. If the child is old enough to ask the question, they're old enough for an answer.

Thank you very very much for doing that. There is something terribly wrong in america and getting wronger. This Barroso lady is the alarm and the symptom and she is everywhere, she is spreading and there is very little any individual can do to stop it or fight it or even slow it down. What can be done, you just did. The dark side of the force is going to be really pissed off at you for that and the world just got noticeably brighter. I take my hat off pump my fist in the air and yell "YEAH!" If only there was a way to get fifty million americans to do shit like that all at once... The nation needs a million of you. Well done.
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.