lawrocket

Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder

My thread on Ritalin seems to be getting hijacked with regard to ADHD and treatment, so I thought I'd create this poll here.

My personal thoughts are that ADHD is very real in the child and adult populations. I also believe that it is being overdiagnosed and overdrugged.

What are other peoples' thoughts on this? This issue is deeply personal for me...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I agree it may be an issue, BUT everybody and their grandmother is being diagnosed with ADHD. I most likely have it as well, but I -like- it. Most extremely successful people have been known to have had very low attention spans. I'm sure on an extrme level, ADHD can be harmful, and they should use the drugs in those cases, but with self-discipline, in most cases it can be very productive for oneself.
This ad space for sale.

Way over diagnosed and way over drugged.

I know of a kid where the teacher wanted him on ritalin and mom said NO WAY! The teacher took it upon herself to diagnose this kid.

Mom changed the kids diet and no more problems (except that teacher).

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Way over diagnosed and way over drugged.

I know of a kid where the teacher wanted him on ritalin and mom said NO WAY! The teacher took it upon herself to diagnose this kid.

Mom changed the kids diet and no more problems (except that teacher).

Judy

I don't have kids yet, got about ten years or so before I do, but if ANY teacher EVER forces my kid to take a drug without my permission, I will personally smack the dumb bitch across the head.
This ad space for sale.

My thread on Ritalin seems to be getting hijacked with regard to ADHD and treatment, so I thought I'd create this poll here.

My personal thoughts are that ADHD is very real in the child and adult populations. I also believe that it is being overdiagnosed and overdrugged.

What are other peoples' thoughts on this? This issue is deeply personal for me...

Ritalin over here is mainly used as a "therapy" on kids with hyperactive reactions. So, there is close connection to your actual thred.

Mainly boys show that symptoms. There is help without using Ritalin. Pls have a look at the other thread about that.

Christel

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Sounds like me most of my life. Im lucky my parents were hipies and didnt let the man drug me because i had energy. I was a very happy child and did well in school. But I remember always getting in trouble for figditing and talking.

This is what i found on the subject:

Symptoms of ADHD are divided into two main categories: Inattention and Hyperactivity/Impulsivity.
Hyperactivity
-fidgets or squirms
-has to get up from seat
-runs or climbs when he or she shouldn't * : )
-has difficulty with quiet leisure activities
-is on the go, as if driven by a motor
-talks excessively

Impulsivity
-blurts out answers before questions have been completed * i would say the chid is very smart.
-has difficulty waiting his or her turn
-interrupts or intrudes on others

Something about that list doesnt sit well with me. Now im off to run around outside and climd stuff.

I was an ADHD kid. I was prescribed Desoxyn and used it for 10 years from 1981-1990. Was one of the best things that was ever done for me.

http://health.yahoo.com/drug/202031/desoxyn

I was off of ADHD medications since the age of 17. During that time I failed out of college, got back in, graduated, got commissioned, went to law school, passed the CA Bar on my first try, and started practice. All without the need for medication.

Turns out that over the years I developed coping mechanisms for it with the help of ADHD meds. It didn't mean I didn't have ADHD, just that I learned to coped with it.

Of course, as I learned in the past year, coping mechanisms are not always appropriate and do not work when circumstances change. In the last 4 months, ADHD meds have helped me tremendously with all facets of my life.

In other words, for a while there I was playing baseball without a glove. Sure, I can still play baseball, but my odds for dropping the ball go way up without it. (I'm National League - no designated hitters). But the Adderal gives me a glove. It won't make me a golden glove. That's up to me. But it certainly does aid in the process.

I truly believe that there is a legitimate use for certain people.

And I also believe that it shold not be used as a crutch to the level it has been...

I was an ADHD kid. I was prescribed Desoxyn and used it for 10 years from 1981-1990. Was one of the best things that was ever done for me.

http://health.yahoo.com/drug/202031/desoxyn

I was off of ADHD medications since the age of 17. During that time I failed out of college, got back in, graduated, got commissioned, went to law school, passed the CA Bar on my first try, and started practice. All without the need for medication.

Turns out that over the years I developed coping mechanisms for it with the help of ADHD meds. It didn't mean I didn't have ADHD, just that I learned to coped with it.

Of course, as I learned in the past year, coping mechanisms are not always appropriate and do not work when circumstances change. In the last 4 months, ADHD meds have helped me tremendously with all facets of my life.

In other words, for a while there I was playing baseball without a glove. Sure, I can still play baseball, but my odds for dropping the ball go way up without it. (I'm National League - no designated hitters). But the Adderal gives me a glove. It won't make me a golden glove. That's up to me. But it certainly does aid in the process.

I truly believe that there is a legitimate use for certain people.

And I also believe that it shold not be used as a crutch to the level it has been...

My roomate takes Adderal. It helped him from flunking out of school and now he has a good job. As a condition of his getting prescriptions now though, he has to see a therapist. She has also lessened his dosage severely and told him that if he did not feel he needed to take, then don't.

Unfortunately, this is not the case with many doctors, teachers, or parents.

There ARE cases where it is needed. But to give a kid Ritalin simply because he will not sit still or wants to "climb on things?" That is silly. If that were a good reason, I would have been taking Ritalin since age 4.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I work in a school where huge numbers of kids are being diagnosed with ADHD. The only thing is that several other disorders have almost identical symptoms. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, oppositional defiant, fetal alcohol syndrome, and even severe depression are some. Many professionals mis-diagnose these.

Medication is a tremendous help for many ADHD kids. It enables many to concentrate on their studies when they were unable to do so in the past. It no doubt keeps many from getting into trouble, and disrupting the rest of their class. I've seen some who were able to stay in school rather than be expelled due to ADHD medication.

Although it can help greatly, there is no doubt it is also over-prescribed....Steve1

I don't have kids yet, got about ten years or so before I do, but if ANY teacher EVER forces my kid to take a drug without my permission, I will personally smack the dumb bitch across the head.

ADHD medication can only be prescribed by a physician.....Steve1

Real, overdiagnosed, and overprescribed.

Just because you have it doesn't mean medication is necessary. Some people have jobs that don't require that kind of focus; some kids are able to simply treat that aspect of school as their challenge, just as math is a challenge for other kids.

But to do that, it takes having overall good skills, and support from parents. It is probably harder if you have noticeable ADHD and don't use something. Otherwise, it can become overwhelming.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've ordered books on coping with it... Like you, I don't want to be medicated, but can't stand some of my less desirable traits that I've had pointed out to me.... [:/]

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

I find that without my concerta, I can't get a damn thing done, and I'll usually wind up causing trouble to self medicate myself.

It's served me well in many arenas, such as when I was a pro musician, and being able to make intuitive leaps as a programmer, but without it, social situations can get a little hairy. ;)

ADHD medication can only be prescribed by a physician.....Steve1

Yeah? Why don't you go to my high school? The nurse is not a physician. She has quite a few Ritalin pills to hand out to anybody.

Many high schools are turning this way.
This ad space for sale.

I most likely have it as well

this means most likely not. and is the reason for overdiagnosis, and is also the reason for the people that need ritilin or any other stimulant, cant get it because it is a controlled substance.

i need it, everyone in my life sees it and comments on it... well, i cant get it.

It's served me well in many arenas, such as when I was a pro musician, and being able to make intuitive leaps as a programmer, but without it, social situations can get a little hairy.

These are the coping mechanisms. it helped me when I was a pro musician. It helps me do my attorney job. But, sometimes life situations change.

When I got a new job, then opened a new business, in a new city, and started a new family, things changed. Prior issues were easy to handle. Minor failings. But, the minor failing became huge problems.

Often, as was my case, this issue with coping skills can cause a profound depression. ADHD isn't always something with happy kids. Plenty of us know the depression that comes with not being like others. We are outcasts. Usually pretty smart outcasts, but outcasts nonetheless.

You know, the meds can give a sense of normalcy. It did to me, and it did to many others I know. (something else about ADHD folk - we can sniff each other out in a crowd).

How often are ADHD kids depressed? Very often. Therapy, along with medications, can make all the difference. This, however, doesn't work the same if the kid does not have ADHD. It can only add to the troubles.

Just a little story as to why I voted for Overdiagnosed/Overprescribed:
My brother is a high school English teacher in California. He had a student who got Senioritis for the first half of the year (he was an A-B student prior to his Senior year). The students father brought him to a Doctor, who diagnosed ADD. At a meeting with the School principal, my brother, the student (and his father) and the students advocate, the student was forced by his father to sign gaurdianship back to his father (he was already 18- so legally he is no longer an adult).
The next day he came into class, walked up to my brother, and apologized. He told my brother basically this, "I know I don't have ADD. I just didn't feel like doing the work."
It's amazing that someone who gets bored with school (cause that never happens) is typically diagnosed ADD. Just my 2 cents.

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

I most likely have it as well

this means most likely not. and is the reason for overdiagnosis, and is also the reason for the people that need ritilin or any other stimulant, cant get it because it is a controlled substance.

i need it, everyone in my life sees it and comments on it... well, i cant get it.

I didn't get it because my parents didn't want me on any medication. They finally relented when I was depressed and the doctor said I had to be on antidepressants to live my life normally. Fuck, I wish they didn't.

You say its difficult to get it? The college I went to, you can go in, say you think you have ADHD, they'll give you some stupid questionairre and voila, you've got a prescription. Yes, that easy. How do I know this? Because my friends go get it for RECREATIONAL PURPOSES. Ever heard of Ritalin or Adderal being called the "poor man's coke"? It's cause it is. It's not hard to get, and its popular with college students when they want a lifter when they're drunk and can't afford coke, and also used a lot during finals. So people who don't have it, pretend lilke they do, get prescribed it because every fucking doctor is giving it to anybody, and then turn around and sell it.

As I said, I don't want it. I like my ADHD. I like the fact that I have no attention span; because I get so much more shit done. And besides, I don't want to be medicated on -anything-. Have had bad enough experiences with it.
This ad space for sale.

ell, then the teacher should be arrested.

f&*k, in the schools I went to the nurses couldn't even give you a damn aspirin.

My kid needed to have a signed Dr's note specifically saying that his med needed to be taken atnoon each day before the nurse would even tocuh the bottle.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Well, from what I saw as a classroom teacher and a karate instructor, ADHD does exist... I had one or two students that, if they forgot their medication, it was very obvious, and it was very obvious they needed it. They were trying to pay attention and just could not do it. However, there were many more kids that were taking ADHD drugs, and honestly, in most of the cases, from talking to the parents, I could figure out why. The kids had absolutely no discipline at home, no consequences, and no rules. They'd never learned any kind of self discipline. I had several students in my karate class who acted ADHD before class, and after class, but during class they were just as focused as any other kid, because the instructors enforced rules and discipline and the kids had a very clear idea of what was expected of them and what would happen if they failed to meet those expectations.