JohnRich

England: Worst Crime Rate in World

JR & Kennedy & The SC Gun Club need to face up to the fact that they will have a hard time persuading the English people on this site that we were better off with guns. The reason that no English person is coming on here saying "Damn, those assholes took my guns", is because even when you could buy hand guns, hardly anyone had them. We just have never had the same gun culture as you.

I once asked Aggie Dave if he had ever had to defend himself or if his friends had and he knew a dozen or so people who had defended themselves with a gun. I don't know a single person. I know no-one who even got into a situation where they would have been better off if they had got a gun. Not one. This is not because I live with my head up my ass but because it is a very rare occurance.

Yeah what you said. It's the same here, I know not one person that would have bennifited from having a gun or that has ever felt the need to own a gun to feel safe. The only people that I have EVER known that would kick up a storm if they had their guns taken off them are farmers that use rifles to shoot rabbits and hares etc.

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

I hear that bro. Just out of curiosity, what you say is the mindset of the majority of gun owners/carriers in the states?

IMO I feel that the majority of gun owners have them due to an underlying fear that the worst will happen.

According to gun owner surveys, most owners don't mention self defense as the primary reason for owning their firearms. The most common answer in most studies is hunting. Self defense is usually second, and "other sport" is third.

Personally, I don't think the worst will happen, but I can't guarantee it won't happen, either.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

JR & Kennedy & The SC Gun Club need to face up to the fact that they will have a hard time persuading the English people on this site that we were better off with guns. The reason that no English person is coming on here saying "Damn, those assholes took my guns", is because even when you could buy hand guns, hardly anyone had them. We just have never had the same gun culture as you.

I once asked Aggie Dave if he had ever had to defend himself or if his friends had and he knew a dozen or so people who had defended themselves with a gun. I don't know a single person. I know no-one who even got into a situation where they would have been better off if they had got a gun. Not one. This is not because I live with my head up my ass but because it is a very rare occurance.

And Jack The Ripper references - come on guys, you got to do better than that. It was over a hundred years ago, he murdered 5 people (confirmed), wow thats your argument for keeping guns! Naming people who have killed without guns doesn't reduce the number of people who kill with them - the ease of access to guns and the relative anonimity with which you can kill is what makes the difference - the sniper never had to look the person in the eye and watch them die.

This is indeed true, however I bet if we went back in time 50 years or so and introdued a law that allowed the purchase and ownership of handguns, that today this statement would not be true, and we would all be walking around tooled up in the same state of gun dependancy as the US......
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Interesting stats.

Why is there such a big issue about people wanting to keep their guns at home if they are just for hunting other than for convenience?

Also isn't a pretty big issue about if its in a locked cabinet they wont be able to use it in time if someone enters their home etc?

Amos and Andy, laurel and hardy, Laverne and shirly routine

You may think John and I are comedy, but let me asure you, I find your posts to be tragedy, lunacy, or both.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Amos and Andy, laurel and hardy, Laverne and shirly routine

You may think John and I are comedy, but let me asure you, I find your posts to be tragedy, lunacy, or both.

well you guys have kept me chuckling for nearly two full days now..... :D:D:D
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Why is there such a big issue about people wanting to keep their guns at home if they are just for hunting other than for convenience?

Also isn't a pretty big issue about if its in a locked cabinet they wont be able to use it in time if someone enters their home etc?

I didn't say all people have their guns only for hunting. I said most people's primary reason for owning a gun is hunting. That doesn't preclude self defense from their consideration. Most huntes do consider self defense, and some self defense folks are hunters.
(I fit that last category)

Also, while there are more hunters than self-defensers, there are more than enough self defense folks out there to sway policy ona regular basis. There's a reason Guns are one of the Three Gs.
witty subliminal message
1*

And you continue to make me worry for the future.

I'm washing my hands of you. Good day.

dude your a proffessional comedian aren't you... I can tell...????

With statments like that how can you possible imagine I, or in fact anyone who is reading this thread is doing anything but laughing,,,:D:D:D:D

what exactly is it about the future that worries you:D:D

When you say most do you mean more than half of all gun owners in the US primarily have guns for hunting? That seems like one hell of alot of hunting going on over there! ;)

Apologies for all the questions but you aint gonna learn shit if you don't ask right.

(A) The studies go both ways as to which is the more common reason.

(B) I'm sure a lot of people who mention hunting aren't avid hunters out there for every season.

(C) A lot of people own guns and never use them, so I don't know what they'd put as a reason.

(D) Wasn't this thread about England?

Apologies for all the questions but you aint gonna learn shit if you don't ask right. [/reply[

And I'm happy to answer anything you want to ask, as long as it stays in good faith.

witty subliminal message
1*

so what do all the people with hand guns that live in the middle of a city hunt??? is it the crocs that live in the sewers???

I'm just wondering what city he's talking about, and if he really thinks most hunters use handguns.

Let's see, handguns in the city.
Chicago? Nope.
New York? Nuh uh.
DC? Not a chance.
LA? Not if you don't want to be treated like a King.

Hunting with a handgun? It happens, but it's more rare than blackpowder muzzle-loader hunting.

Here in reality, most cities have a lot of antigun laws and bans, most hunters don't use handungs to hunt, and saying that there is an even number does not imply an even mix.

I wonder about people sometimes.
witty subliminal message
1*

I'm just wondering what city he's talking about, and if he really thinks most hunters use handguns.

Chicago? Nope.
New York? Nuh uh.
DC? Not a chance.

ermm so noone in any of these cities owns a handgun....

Chicago? Nope.
New York? Nuh uh.
DC? Not a chance.

ermm so noone in any of these cities owns a handgun....

I don't know what point you're trying to prove, but it seems like a waste of time.

What amazes me more than anything is the number of people telling us why gun owners own guns (fear, paranoia, etc), when they have never owned a firearm themselves.

if you read the thread you will notice that it is the Gun owners or pro gun peoplle that are telling us why they like toown guns, not the other way around...

What amazes me more than anything is the number of people telling us why gun owners own guns (fear, paranoia, etc), when they have never owned a firearm themselves.

if you read the thread you will notice that it is the Gun owners or pro gun peoplle that are telling us why they like toown guns, not the other way around...

I did read the thread, maybe you should read my post. I never said that there wasn't any of them expressing their point of view. I just noted my suprise at people that don't own guns saying why people do own guns.

I did read the thread, maybe you should read my post. I never said that there wasn't any of them expressing their point of view. I just noted my suprise at people that don't own guns saying why people do own guns.

ok I apologise, I should have said it is "prodemanently" the gun owners

And I'm happy to answer anything you want to ask, as long as it stays in good faith.

All in good faith bro, just trying to get more of an understanding of you crazy folk! ;)

Wasn't this thread about England?

Haven't got a clue dude, I thought it was the "What's your favourite condiment?" thread.

Hey, you could try this philosophy out at the drop zone. The next time someone gets grounded for doing something unsafe, ground everyone on the DZ for the remainder of the weekend. That'll teach him!

It's more akin to one third of injuries on a DZ being attributable to deliberate swoop attempts and the DZ banning swooping. You see that happening a lot these days.

Or one third of deaths due to low pulls... pretty universal to see low pulls banned for everyone isn't it.