gjhdiver

Georgia told to can the BS

My original point was simply this, in the GRAND SCHEME of things, that sticker had/has zero impact on education and society as a whole. Whether it is there or not. It's simply a rediculous waste of time and money for people to have needed to pursue this in the court system. Correct me I'm wrong (and I am sure I will be here in SC......lol) that whole thing in CA? about removing "Under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance, again, a total waste of time and money. This country was founded by religous people, and a by product of that there has been (and probably always will be) certain religous undertones in government and the educational system. Is it really that bad, or that wrong? I think not, but again, here in the Land of Misfit Toys, ie SC, people seem more interested in touting their own agendas and philosophies than accepting the fact, that whether "Under God" is in the Pledge, or Creation is even considered a possibility in school, organized religions will continue to play a role in modern society's governmental and educational systems, and that that is ultimately not a terrible thing that needs to be banished.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

Do you really have such a low opinion of high school students that you think they don't know what it's all about?

Well, in fact, I do have a fairly low opinion of high school students as a group, but its not really their fault, that would be the parents and teachers... I'll grant that that opinion is based on a limited group that I have been exposed to (Southern IL, Coastal GA, and the Houston area)... you must have a fairly low opinion too, to say that they can not make up their own mind about evolution based on evidence presented in the text... but that besides the point...

You missed two key words from my post, "see" and "hear". The sticker neither states or advocates anything but that Evolution is a theory. There is no mention of any other theory, much less creationism, nor is there any advocation that creationism be taught on par with evolution... so it appears the courts have become the thought police by esentially supressing a fact (which no one here seems to dispute, that is Evolution is a theory) because of a preceived religious intent.

So, again, a simple yes no question... is evolution a fact or a theory?

and another one, does the sticker say anything about religion or creationism?

Supressing the sticker on Constitutional grounds is BS... with so many other REAL threats to the Consitution out there, what a waste of the court's time.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Do you really have such a low opinion of high school students that you think they don't know what it's all about?

Well, in fact, I do have a fairly low opinion of high school students as a group, but its not really their fault, that would be the parents and teachers... I'll grant that that opinion is based on a limited group that I have been exposed to (Southern IL, Coastal GA, and the Houston area)... you must have a fairly low opinion too, to say that they can not make up their own mind about evolution based on evidence presented in the text... but that besides the point...

You missed two key words from my post, "see" and "hear". The sticker neither states or advocates anything but that Evolution is a theory. There is no mention of any other theory, much less creationism, nor is there any advocation that creationism be taught on par with evolution... so it appears the courts have become the thought police by esentially supressing a fact (which no one here seems to dispute, that is Evolution is a theory) because of a preceived religious intent.

So, again, a simple yes no question... is evolution a fact or a theory?

and another one, does the sticker say anything about religion or creationism?

Supressing the sticker on Constitutional grounds is BS... with so many other REAL threats to the Consitution out there, what a waste of the court's time.

J

\

That is a silly distinction. Is f=ma theory or fact? Most people call it Newton's 2nd LAW, but it fails at very large and very small distances. We don't put warning stickers in physics text books saying "Newton's Laws are only a theory"
www.freak-brother.com

I don't get it..... Eveloution is a theory, why should or would it posed as a fact?

Storm i'm not trying to pick on you personally but this is one of those statements that many people use all the time and it really upsets me.
In layman’s terms, if something is said to be “just a theory,” it usually means that it is a mere guess, or is unproved. It might even lack credibility. But in scientific terms, a theory implies that something has been proven and is generally accepted as being true.

There is no debate about the above statement that is what it is.

Let me give some definitions for everyone, since everyone has great misconceptions about science

Scientific Law: This is a statement of fact meant to explain, in concise terms, an action or set of actions. It is generally accepted to be true and univseral, and can sometimes be expressed in terms of a single mathematical equation. Scientific laws are similar to mathematical postulates. They don’t really need any complex external proofs; they are accepted at face value based upon the fact that they have always been observed to be true.

Some scientific laws, or laws of nature, include the law of gravity, the law of thermodynamics, and Hook’s law of elasticity. One interesting thing about the laws of gravity is that they don't work all the time. They breakdown when you start speaking of black holes and singularities, but they are still used all the time.

Hypothesis: This is an educated guess based upon observation. It is a rational explanation of a single event or phenomenon based upon what is observed, but which has not been proved. Most hypotheses can be supported or refuted by experimentation or continued observation.

Theory: A theory is more like a scientific law than a hypothesis. A theory is an explanation of a set of related observations or events based upon proven hypotheses and verified multiple times by detached groups of researchers. One scientist cannot create a theory; he can only create a hypothesis.

In general, both a scientific theory and a scientific law are accepted to be true by the scientific community as a whole. Both are used to make predictions of events. Both are used to advance technology.

The biggest difference between a law and a theory is that a theory is much more complex and dynamic. A law governs a single action, whereas a theory explains a whole series of related phenomena.

An analogy can be made using a slingshot and an automobile.

A scientific law is like a slingshot. A slingshot has but one moving part--the rubber band. If you put a rock in it and draw it back, the rock will fly out at a predictable speed, depending upon the distance the band is drawn back.

An automobile has many moving parts, all working in unison to perform the chore of transporting someone from one point to another point. An automobile is a complex piece of machinery. Sometimes, improvements are made to one or more component parts. A new set of spark plugs that are composed of a better alloy that can withstand heat better, for example, might replace the existing set. But the function of the automobile as a whole remains unchanged.

A theory is like the automobile. Components of it can be changed or improved upon, without changing the overall truth of the theory as a whole.

Some scientific theories include the theory of evolution, the theory of relativity, and the quantum theory. All of these theories are well documented and proved beyond reasonable doubt. Yet scientists continue to tinker with the component hypotheses of each theory in an attempt to make them more elegant and concise, or to make them more all-encompassing. Theories can be tweaked, but they are seldom, if ever, entirely replaced.

Now people also like to call creationsism a science, a hypothesis, a theory. However, CREATIONISM CAN NEVER BE A SCIENCE because no amount of evidence can falsify it. It is a belief, palin and simple.

Now does this mean that one is right and the other wrong. No, one may be more factualy accurate but it doesn't make the other wrong.

A good example i like to use with my students at the begining of the year (I teach biology) is this.
I write the word mountain on the board.
I then give the students several descriptions of the mountain.
1. An impresionist painting of a mountain
2. John Denver's Rocky mountian high song
3. A story of how the Navajos belived that their creator placed them on the land between the following 4 mountains representing the 4 cardinal directions:
4. A metaphysical discussion on whether or not mountains would still exist if no one had ever seen one.
5. A scientific explanation of how mountain ranges form.

I then ask them to tell me which is a "correct" description of a mountain. Now being they are in a science class most pick the 5th one. I tell them however that they are all correct. They are simply different ways of looking at the world and for our class we are ONLY concerned with the scientific view but that doesn't mean the others are any less valid.

I just wish people wouldn't go sticking their noses in on things they know little to nothing about.

When politicians and the general public go spouting off on this, I just think would people take ME seriously if I went to a rancher and said, "well, I drank milk as a kid and i now have kids who drink milk so here are my ideas on how you should make milk" I believe i'd get my ass kicked if i did that. But i don't do that because i know that i know very little about making milk, so i leave it to the ranchers, and regulatiors who have studied the process and know a hell of a lot more than i do.

That is a silly distinction. Is f=ma theory or fact? Most people call it Newton's 2nd LAW, but it fails at very large and very small distances. We don't put warning stickers in physics text books saying "Newton's Laws are only a theory"

THe difference though is this. Do to newton's theory, we can in most cases predict the outcome of an event. The Theory is mathmatically provable with restrictions.

Evelution, however, does not allow anyone with any certainty to predict the outcome of a situation. If we confine a species in a specific environment, what will future generations evolve to?

We have no idea if they will evolve at all.

See evolution is not provable in any situation in the future or in any specific instance. We only can theorize that it occured in the past, and we can only see it happen in the present, but there is no reason or logic to use it as an example of future outcomes.

That is the destict difference between Mathmatical theory and evolutionary theory.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

Ok, I was starting to try and reply to everyone who was stating a big misconception about this but just don't have the time.

If you really want to get a GOOD BASIC UNDERSTANDING of what evolution REALLY is and not just what you think it is and what the general pop. tells you it is here is a good reference http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evohome.html

From your reference...

At the heart of evolutionary theory is the basic idea that life has existed for billions of years and has changed over time.

I don't see what is wrong with a community wanting their children's textbooks to be accurate... and I certainly do not see that there is any Consitutional issue with the sticker.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

From your reference...

At the heart of evolutionary theory is the basic idea that life has existed for billions of years and has changed over time.

I don't see what is wrong with a community wanting their children's textbooks to be accurate... and I certainly do not see that there is any Consitutional issue with the sticker.

J

Neither do I, as long as it's done consistently with EVERY scientific theory having identical treatment. So we'd sticker:

Relativity
Newtonian Mechanics
Quantum mechanics
Thermodynamics
Chemical kinetic "laws"
Genetics
Evolution
and a whole lot more.

Of course, we'd need a lot of stickers.
www.freak-brother.com

I don't see anything wrong with a community wanting their kids books to be accurate either. But as with my milk example earlier, If there is a potential problem with milk, i don't get to vote on the solution or give money to some conservative politician to change the milk to how i want it to be. I let experts (in this case the scientific community) decide what should be done.
And in your quoted reference, that statement is universally accepted by any credible scientist. The only ones who don't accept it are some who are trying to push some political agenda.
As far as the constitutional issue with the sticker that only arises after you look into WHY the sticker was put in and by whom. It was put in by right wing christian conservatives to promote their agenda of including their belief system in every aspect of our lives.

I taught my class that Newton's Laws were actually Local Ordinances.

Anyone who would term either "Evolution" OR "Creationism" a theory does not comprehend evolution, creation or theory.

Intelligence is greatly overrated. Stupidity is a limitless resource, and anyone with the capacity to harness it to a fraction of its potential has been guaranteed untold wealth and power.

I wish I was not constantly reminded of that fact.

Blue skies,

Winsor

The only ones who don't accept it are some who are trying to push some political agenda.

You are aware the group that suied were the ones wanting something changed... not the ones advocating the stickers...

How does the sticker remotely approach state endorsement of religion? It does not mention religion or creationism... absent the court case, most of the students would probably have not even seen the sticker.

Who's pushing an agenda more, the so called Right-Wing bible beaters who want to state evolution is a theory, which even by a scientific definition, it is; or the ACLU who feels threatend by an invisible intent that would be either missed or ignored by the target audiance?

No one in this case has asked that creation be taught, or even mentioned.

As far as the constitutional issue with the sticker that only arises after you look into WHY the sticker was put in and by whom.

So you have to go beyond the sticker to reach the consitutional issue, and since the why and whom does not appear in the on the sticker in textbook, there is really no Consitutional issue is there?

J

>Do to newton's theory, we can in most cases predict the outcome of an
>event. The Theory is mathmatically provable with restrictions.

Correct.

>Evelution, however, does not allow anyone with any certainty to predict the
>outcome of a situation.

Incorrect. We have observed both evolution and speciation in both the lab and the real world. If you breed fruit flies, and you kill off all but the big ones, you can predict with near-100% certainty that they will eventually become bigger as a population. Such natural selection is at the heart of many medical and agricultural policies here in the US.

>If we confine a species in a specific environment, what will future
>generations evolve to?

See above.

>We have no idea if they will evolve at all.

We have demonstrated conclusively that they will.

>See evolution is not provable in any situation in the future or in any
>specific instance.

We have proven it in the lab hundreds of times. Do a web search; you'll get thousands of hits.

Anyone who would term either "Evolution" OR "Creationism" a theory does not comprehend evolution, creation or theory.

I think the problem is that people do not understand the meaning of the word "theory".

Lets remember, Gravity is only a "theory". Acknowledging this does NOT imply that it's up for debate.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Lets remember, Gravity is only a "theory". Acknowledging this does NOT imply that it's up for debate.

Yes, but gravity is a hell of a lot more demonstratable. Sure, examples of micro-evolution can be demonstrated with bacteria (i.e. exchange of genetic material and mutation), however, there isn't any evidence to show that same bacteria changing into anything other than bacteria. That part (i.e. macro-evolution) is a theory with a lot less strength than that of gravity and would make it very much "up for debate." I think there was nothing wrong with informing students to approach it with an open mind and not to necessarily accept it as a given. It certainly wasn't a sponsorship of religion.

The condensed version of evolution by natural selection:
1) The phenotype (physical structure) of living organisms is largely determined by the genotype (underlying genetic structure).
2) Organisms produce many more offspring than normally survive to reproductive age. For example your average fly can produce several thousand baby flies (maggots) in its life. If they all survived to adulthood and all also produced thousands of maggots, within a decade or so they would comprise the total mass of the Earth. That doesn't happen. In fact, in a steady-state population each female produces on average one adult female (and maybe one male). That is an average; in reality some produce more and some none at all.
3) Some phenotypes (and hence genotypes) tend to be more successful at producing offspring that survive to also reproduce thenselves. Over time the population will come to be made up mainly of these more successful genotypes.
4) The successful genotypes will tend to be those that are better at finding food and mates, can avoid being someone elses food, can resist disease, etc.
Each of these postulates can easily be tested experimentally, and all of them have been shown to be true many many times. If evolution is false, then one of these points must be false. So all you creationists out there, which one is it? Is heredity a lie? Do flies secretly produce only one pair of little flies and make it look loke a lot more somehow? Where is the logical flaw? How come "creation scientists" have never disproven one of these points?It seems to me that organisms have to evolve, it's as inevitable as increasing entropy.
One mistake people commonly make is reasoning backwards; they start with the end result (humans, for example) and they ask "what are the chances evolution would have produced humans?" This supposes that evolution had some sort of a goal to produce humans. All the theory predicts is that over time genotypes of populations will change because poorly adapted genotypes don't get to reproduce themselves. If you wound the clock back 100 million years and let it run all over again species, genera, phyla would still evolve, but they would end up as a different collection of species today (and it's unlikely that humans would be one of them).
Here's a simple analogy for those of you who like to blow things up. You can build a bomb, and enough is known about chemistry and thermodynamics that you can predict the yield and even the size and temperature of the fireball pretty accurately. But you could not predict with any accuracy exactly where every molecule of air in the fireball would go. You couldn't even predict the exact trajectory of every piece of schrapnel. You could only describe the gross behavior of the system as a whole. Does that mean that bombs don't exist?

One last thing while I'm on this rant. One of the diseases I work on (Chagas' Disease) is caused by a parasite that will infect you when you're a kid, silently move into your heart, and gradually destroy it. You won't know you've got it until 30 or 40 years later when you can't walk up a flight of stairs any more. A few years later you'll drop dead when your heart explodes. If you're lucky. In some people it destroys the colon so they can't shit. Eventually you die when your colon bursts and you get massive sepsis. Or maybe it will destroy your esophagus and you'll have to be fed through a tube for the rest of your life. About 18 million people in South and Central America have this. It kills about 200,000 a year. No cure, no drugs, no vaccine. I could quote as bad or worse for any number of other diseases. Malaria kills between 1 and 3 million people a year.
What's my point? Evolution can easily account for this. We're just food to organisms that can resist our immune defenses. Of course over time parasites will evolve to use us like that.
On the other hand suppose creationism is true? Why would any God intentionally create such monstrous diseases? I am serious with this question, I have wondered many times how a divine God could even permit this to happen. But y'all want me to believe that He/She/It did it ON PURPOSE? CREATED IT? Please please please explain this to me, so whenever I have to tell a grieving mother that her baby is dead of malaria I can explain why it had to happen.>:(

end rant

Here's a simple analogy for those of you who like to blow things up. You can build a bomb, and enough is known about chemistry and thermodynamics that you can predict the yield and even the size and temperature of the fireball pretty accurately. But you could not predict with any accuracy exactly where every molecule of air in the fireball would go. You couldn't even predict the exact trajectory of every piece of schrapnel. You could only describe the gross behavior of the system as a whole. Does that mean that bombs don't exist?

No, no, can't you follow simple illogic? It means there's no theory on bombs, there's only a hypothesis on bombs and even that's pretty flimsy.

Good post btw.

There is a scientific principal that's not been touched on before or at least it has been misunderstood w.r.t. prediction. The ability to test a theory does not exclusively hinge on how it predicts the future but how it predicts the outcome of future observations and experiments. For example the theory of evolution predicted that when we were able to sequence genes that there would be evidence of genetic inheritance and lineage across species, moreover that this could indicate in part a progression w.r.t. the family tree of evolved species. This does in fact correlate with findings. The theory predicted that we would find repressed genes in existing species and we do, chickens have the genes to grow teeth for example and these can be activated. There are many predictions we can make about the outcome of observations that test evolutionary theory and the observations confirm these predictions and therefore support the theory.

> there isn't any evidence to show that same bacteria changing
>into anything other than bacteria.

Evolution doesn't work that way. Bacteria evolve to become better suited to their environment, not to become wolves - unless. over the course of a hundred million years, conditions favor _every_ organism becoming a wolf. That's unlikely, and even if it were true, it would take millions of years. We don't have that much time.

One of the problems with people's conception of evolution is that they see science fiction movies in which a human (for example) 'evolves' into a monster in one generation. This is a necessary distortion, because evolution is deadly boring. It might take 10 million years to evolve an eye, and at first there might be nothing more than a light sensitive patch on an organism's skin. Then there are more patches, and soon they have a crude compound eye bulging out there. Not because anyone designed it that way, or because the organism wants it, but because the organism that was accidentally born with ten light sensitive patches does better than the one with five. The one with ten does not become dinner because he sees a hungry fish coming - so his phenotype wins the survival game and is passed on in his genes.

If this species is lucky, they may hit a point where a punctuation of equilibrium occurs. Because of a one-in-a-million genetic 'flaw' one organism is born with an inside out eye. Instead of a bulge with light sensitive cells, he's born with a _pit_ with light sensitive cells inside. Suddenly he has a very crude pinhole lens, and he's ten times better at avoiding predators. Within a few generations every organism has pit eyes.

Then evolution goes back to its slow plod. The organisms that have smaller openings in their pits do better at focusing, so the pits slowly close up. One organism is born with a muscle in a bizarre place, and when contracted it closes the hole a bit. Now the first iris begins operation. Ten million years later you have an eye.

Now, when did one of these organisms "change" to have eyes? If you looked at it generation by generation, you'd see very little change (other than a few punctuations where change comes along rapidly.) We just aren't long lived enough to see a worm evolve an eye (or a bacteria evolve feet.) But we are long lived enough to see all those things happen individually. Organisms change to fit their niches. Sometimes two groups of the same organisms in two different niches change so much they can no longer reproduce between the two groups, and a new species is born. This has happened several times while we have been watching.

That part (i.e. macro-evolution) is a theory with a lot less strength than that of gravity and would make it very much "up for debate."

Quite the contrary, really.

Now I'll grant that we don't test and reinforce evolution every time we drop a crystal glass, but to suggest that it's debateable in science is quite simply, wrong.

Someone who suggests otherwise is either pursuing an agenda, naive, or ignorant. And no, that's not intended as a personal attack. There's a great many things in the world to which I'm both naive and ignorant. To acknowledge those when they exist is a strength.

Evolution - macro or micro, (there is no difference) works. It started off as a theory that just plain worked, and a slew of discoveries since continue to show that it works, and moreso - is right.

Until a better theory comes along, it will stand as the only scientific theory that explains the origins. In science, "better theories" do not replace old ones, they tweak the old ones. You can't throw out a system that works just because you want to. "New theories" always build on the old theories, they do not replace them when the old ones work. Evolution works. It will not be thrown out, or replaced, but tweaked.

What you call "macro-evolution" is solid theory with demonstratable and predictable characteristics. To suggest otherwise only has value if you're trying to push a non-scientific agenda. In scientific circles, the basis of evolution is no more debatable then the nature of gravity.

You don't have to believe it, nor do you have to accept it. However, you would be wise to understand that by openly contradicting it, you're showing yourself plainly to be one who's pushing a religious agenda, naive, or ignorant.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

What's my point? Evolution can easily account for this. We're just food to organisms that can resist our immune defenses. Of course over time parasites will evolve to use us like that.

Actually, the most succesful bacteria are those that do not harm the host. Only about three percent of all known bacteria harm the human body (while it's alive).

The most successful are those that can use the host and leave it alive to be used again. Similarly but slightly less successful are those that are helpful to us (such as those in our gastr-intestinal tract).

(success for bacteria defined as most reproductive and least changing)

Personally I believe large-scale "evolution" only happens following some amazing catastrophic event that opens new niches. All life is driven to survive and reproduce, and so the niches are filled by those most able to work the new system (Bill's bug example requires the death of all large bugs to set it off, not exactly a normal occurance).

Otherwise I believe evolution is nearly non-existant. It doesn't happen without a spur. Mutation is another story, but hardly equals evolution.

ps - that bad things happen is hardly proof that there is no God(s).
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Question, if the athiest's had their way, and this country's political, educational & judicial systems were stripped bare of any religious symbolism or structure, would any of you still want to live here?

Sure...why not?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Well I had actually hoped to get some serious discussion from some of the creationist-leaning types who post here. Too bad.

Kennedy, I think you're partly right that well-adapted parasites don't do overt damage to their hosts, but there are lots of exceptions. Some of it has to do with how the parasite gets transmitted to new hosts; sometimes the pathology results from the mechanism the parasite uses to move from host to host. For example smallpox never evolved to be less virulent because it has to form pustules to shed virus and get transmitted. Similarly ebola is transmitted by contact with infected blood, so making you bleed is critical to the propagation of the virus; a mutant ebola that didn't do that would not get transmitted and that strain would be trapped in the host, it would die out when the host died. Another strain that made you produce lots of virus-laden blood would probably be transmitted to lots of new hosts so a few generations down the road you would only find the virulent strain persisting. Of course if it killed you too quickly it also wouldn't be very efficient, it's better (for the virus) if you bleed out over a month than if you kick the bucket in two days. The example I gave the other day (Chagas' Disease) takes about 30 years to kill you, that's about 3,000 generations for the parasite, so it's like us living for 75,000 years (25 yrs/generation) on an island before ruining the ecosystem so the island becomes uninhabitable. Of course that whole 75,000 years some people will sail off every year to colonize new islands, so by the time the island becomes uninhabitable the islanders will have millions of descendants all over the place.

My issue here wasn't whether or not bad things happening proves or disproves the existance of a God. The issue is that God must have made those bad things in the first place, if the creationist paradigm is correct.