funks

Why the fuck can't we help our own?

Not bitching, just acknowledging an earlier post that in some local job markets, it can be nearly impossible to find work.
I have loans, and will get through it, but it would be nice to find a job to help ease the future financial burden.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

And you may find this hard to believe, but Z-Hills is way too far for me to commute practically. Nor is relocating for a job practical while I attend classes.

No one is going to hand you money for unskilled labor. You can be creative and inventive or you can whine. I went around Indy where i went to tech school and clean service station bathrooms. I got 20 a bathroom. Fun work no but it paid the bills, infact I had a nice little deal going. Overhead almost nothing, flexable and profitable. $20 wasn't a lot 20 years ago but it beat working at burger king.

Another good job is working as a night person for FedEx or UPS. Decent pay (for the kind of woirk) and its in the middle of the night/early morning.

We have a winner.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

So you are saying I do not have a good work ethic or good references?

That is for you, and your prospective employer to decide.

That's dangerously close to a personal attack, Ron.

No, me saying I know of several jobs that pay well and you could go to school while doing them, but you have to be willing to work is a simple statement.

I see people come through here like we have a revolving door. We start them at around 10 bucks an hour and great benefits (3500 a year for school, cheap health care, 401k...blah, blah) but the work is not for the lazy or those that can't be bothered to show up on time.

And you may find this hard to believe, but Z-Hills is way too far for me to commute practically

I drive 40 miles one way to work. And I don't work in Zhills anyway.

Nor is relocating for a job practical while I attend classes.

No offense, but those are just excuses. If you wanted to find a job that meets your needs...You would. People have done it for hundreds of years.

Where do you live?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Nor is relocating for a job practical while I attend classes.

No offense, but those are just excuses. If you wanted to find a job that meets your needs...You would. People have done it for hundreds of years.

You seem to be missing the point that my number one priority is finishing school. If I have to live in a cardboard box and only get eat ramen every other day, that is still a better option than making school a second priority to work. They are not excuses, but priorities. Right now it may suck, but in a few years, I will be far better off for making that difficult sacrifice now.

You seem to be missing the point that my number one priority is finishing school. If I have to live in a cardboard box and only get eat ramen every other day, that is still a better option than making school a second priority to work. They are not excuses, but priorities. Right now it may suck, but in a few years, I will be far better off for making that difficult sacrifice now.

Like I said, excuses. You don't want to do the work. Which is back to my last post "But you have to be willing to actually work".

You clearly are not willing to work.

Do you manage to find the time to skydive?

If so, you place jumping over work.

I have plenty of folks that work with me. Many of them are going to school full time. Many more have worked for me till they graduated. They then moved on.

There are plenty of jobs that will allow you to work and go to school. But you CHOOSE not to work.

You before said that there are no jobs

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1413823#1413823

I've yet to find anyone willing to hire a thirty-something college student at a living wage and the flexibility necessary to work around my school schedule.

And I was more than willing to give you phone numbers of exactly that type of work.

And now you change your story.

You seem to be missing the point that my number one priority is finishing school

Like I said, you have to be willing to work.

Like I said, excuses. You don't want to do the work. Which is back to my last post "But you have to be willing to actually work".

You clearly are not willing to work.

Where did you get the idea I am not willing to work. I am not willing to make work a higher priority than school. Major difference.

Do you manage to find the time to skydive?

If so, you place jumping over work.

My jumping has been postponed indefinitely until it is an affordable hobby for me, and much of my gear is for sale or has been sold in order to pay tuition and living expenses. Clearly, I don't place jumping over work.

There are plenty of jobs that will allow you to work and go to school. But you CHOOSE not to work.

You obviously do not live in Volusia County.

And now you change your story.

I've not changed my story a bit. I am simply maintaining that my school schedule is not flexible, and I am not going to sacrifice my performance in school, detrimental to my future, in order to ease my present.

Where did you get the idea I am not willing to work

First you said that you could not find a job...To which I said BS. Then you said that you would rather not work instead focusing on school.

That is not willing to work. AND a change of positon.

I don't place jumping over work.

Which is why I wrote

If so, you place jumping over work

If not, then it does not apply to you. But I know several people that manage to find time and money to skydive, but claim that can't find a good job.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You obviously do not live in Volusia County.

Me not living in Volusia County has nothing to do with it. You claimed you could not find a job that would pay you enough to live AND allow you to go to school. And that is clearly not true. After you were called on it you claimed that school is the top priority...Noble, but it goes right in line with you are not willing to work.

I work Full time 35-45 hours a week and go to school full time. I also work at the DZ doing Tandems when I feel like it.

My EX wife (Who lived in Volusia County) worked two PT jobs (Relative Workshop, The DZ, and later at SkyVenture) and went to school full time.

My last GF worked Full time and went to nursing school...Oh and she had two little girls to take care of (6 and 9).

My GF before that worked PT and was working on her Masters in Education.

My current GF works 40-50 hours a week and is working on her MBA.

I am surrounded by folks that work good paying jobs and go to school.

You choose NOT to work. Thats fine, but to claim it is anything other than a choice is silly.

Take it from another route:

jcd - Are you taking an ungodly number of classes which also require tons of homework time? If so, I understand your position. 6-8 hours of classes a day with about that many hours of homework each day plus extra weekend labs and work (been there for the masters degree) can eat up all your time if you like sleeping enough to keep the grades from slipping. Some people can deal with no sleep for months, I can't, don't expect others to. Good for them if they can.

But not working is a choice, not fate. But if it's the right choice, I don't see being all fatalistic about it. Rather just admit it and be proud that you have chosen your priorities and are sticking to them.

"Not willing to work" isn't necessarily an insult unless you choose to take it that way. Just read it as "not choosing to work" and live with the debt you've given yourself. If you truly wish to "find" a job, they are out there if you're "willing to work" (i.e., do what it takes or sacrifice what it takes to make that happen).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

First you said that you could not find a job...To which I said BS. Then you said that you would rather not work instead focusing on school.

Look again; I qualified the statement with schedule concerns. If not for school, it would be little problem to find work, at least something to tide me over until I could find something I more enjoy. Also, if not for school, I would happily relocate. Unfortunately, in our current economic climate, I have to choose between a decent paying job now or and education now to help qualify me for a good paying job later. While I would like to have both (and have seen economic conditions in my adult lifete that would allow this), currently that is not likely, so I will make school a priority. I have been consistent with that idea.

Me not living in Volusia County has nothing to do with it. You claimed you could not find a job that would pay you enough to live AND allow you to go to school. And that is clearly not true. After you were called on it you claimed that school is the top priority...Noble, but it goes right in line with you are not willing to work.

I am willing to work, but unwilling to prioritize my job over my education. That is not an unwillingness to work. I, too, know many people that work and go to school, and with the exception of the ones with dependant families, they would all quit their jobs in a heartbeat if it threatened their performance in school. It is not an unwillingness to work, but rather an unwillingness to waste their time and tuition money in school.

As for Deland's SD manufacturers, I have sought work with them, unsuccessfully, some of them multiple times.

Look again; I qualified the statement with schedule concerns.

Again BS. I know of several jobs that allow people to go to school all day if they like. I have around 20 people in my building that are working and making a decent wage AND going to school full time. I am working FT and going to school FT. my EX wife did the same, my last 3 GF's did the same. One went to nursing school and had two small kids.

If you choose not to work. Then you are not willing to work.

While I would like to have both (and have seen economic conditions in my adult lifete that would allow this), currently that is not likely

BS like I said how can all the people in my building do it and not you? Simple they want to, and you don't

I am willing to work, but unwilling to prioritize my job over my education. That is not an unwillingness to work.

Yes, it is.

, too, know many people that work and go to school, and with the exception of the ones with dependant families, they would all quit their jobs in a heartbeat if it threatened their performance in school.

So they chose to work...Great for them. You choose not to. Fine, but don't blame it on someone or something else.

You are not willing to work. You call it another name, but it really boils down to you don't want to work....Fine. I was willing to send you some #'s of places that hire at a good wage, have many benefits and work hours that would not effect your schooling. But it is clear to me you don't want to work.

As for Deland's SD manufacturers, I have sought work with them, unsuccessfully, some of them multiple times.

How about being a night janitor? How about working for a freight company? There are plenty of jobs...You CHOOSE not to work them.

Thats fine, but accept you are unwilling to work them and quit blaming everyone else.

BTW my Dad worked FT at a factory at night going to school. Due to that he made me pay my own way through school.

There are thousands of stories of people who did it...Because they choose to. You are not willing to do it.

I'm done with this. You call it what you like.

I am willing to work, but unwilling to prioritize my job over my education. That is not an unwillingness to work. I, too, know many people that work and go to school, and with the exception of the ones with dependant families, they would all quit their jobs in a heartbeat if it threatened their performance in school. It is not an unwillingness to work, but rather an unwillingness to waste their time and tuition money in school.

Everyone keeps harping on you here. You are doing what is best in your situation. None of us walk in your shoes.

If you need cash, work for it, if you are doing ok as is, keep doing it. Personally, I did a full time graduate courseload (optometry) and a part time graduate courseload (MS in low vision rehab, night classes). I graduated with honors from both programs. And worked about 30 hours a week.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Again BS. I know of several jobs that allow people to go to school all day if they like. I have around 20 people in my building that are working and making a decent wage AND going to school full time. I am working FT and going to school FT. my EX wife did the same, my last 3 GF's did the same. One went to nursing school and had two small kids.

If you choose not to work. Then you are not willing to work.

Let me put it another way. I am willing to work a job that will work around my school schedule, allow me time to sleep and study, does not require long commute times, and pays well enough to make it worth my while to give up my time, which is much more valuable to me while I am trying to get through school. Many people have such jobs. Many others do not, but would take such jobs if the oppurtunity presented itself.

BS like I said how can all the people in my building do it and not you? Simple they want to, and you don't

Or perhaps I don't live near your building?

You are not willing to work. You call it another name, but it really boils down to you don't want to work....Fine. I was willing to send you some #'s of places that hire at a good wage, have many benefits and work hours that would not effect your schooling. But it is clear to me you don't want to work.

Again, i am not unwilling to work. I am unwilling to consider my job more important than my education. I can't figure out how you get unwilling to work out of that.

If you have so many job leads in Volusia County, feel free to send some in a PM. I anxiously await them.

How about being a night janitor? How about working for a freight company? There are plenty of jobs...You CHOOSE not to work them.
I have worked tose jobs before, and I know what they are about. They are not very compatible with my current schedule, which is dictated by requirements to take classes that only have a single section available.

I have, in past semesters, had a school schedule that allowed me to be more flexible with my work schedule, and thus was able to work close to full-time, but that is not currently an option. If an oppurtunity appears to change that, great, but if not, my priorities are set properly, IMO.

Let me put it another way. I am willing to work a job that will work around my school schedule, allow me time to sleep and study, does not require long commute times, and pays well enough to make it worth my while to give up my time, which is much more valuable to me while I am trying to get through school. Many people have such jobs. Many others do not, but would take such jobs if the oppurtunity presented itself.

So you want it all, or nothing. You are not willing to work otherwise. Still nothing wrong with that, but admit it...

"I do not want to work due to the reasons I have stated".

Or perhaps I don't live near your building?

My company is nationwide...They have offices in Daytona. Go fish.

Again, i am not unwilling to work. I am unwilling to consider my job more important than my education. I can't figure out how you get unwilling to work out of that.

Easy you are unwilling to work. How hard is it to admit you don't want to work since it will effect your school?

Like I said, nothingw rong with it, but you balmming everyone and everything else for a choice you made is silly.

You are "unwilling to work" in your situation - nothing wrong with it. move on. glory in it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Like I said, nothingw rong with it, but you balmming everyone and everything else for a choice you made is silly.

Who did I blame? I merely pointed out that the current economic climate does not favor people in my position. That is a statement of fact. I am not blaming anyone. I am living with the consequences of my decision, and am fine with that. But that should in no way be construed as a refusal to work. I just have additional concerns when it comes to obtaining employment as a student.

Who did I blame?

I can see Ron's point and seems others here do too. Likely a wording issue. Hope you graduate with honors.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1414168#1414168

Who did I blame?

The economy....see below

I merely pointed out that the current economic climate does not favor people in my position.

I know plenty of people in your position...Yet they manage to work if they are willing to do it.

You are not willing. It does not matter how you say it it boils down to you are not willing.

I am just now going to school. I could have gone before, but I was not willing to make the sacrifices I needed to. I didn't blame it on anything but me. I rather choose to make 3,000 jumps, and learn to fly. I had a good job so I kept it and played instead of studied.

And that is the difference between us. I accept responsibility for me making a choice and don't try to blame others for my choices.

And that is the difference between us. I accept responsibility for me making a choice and don't try to blame others for my choices.

Nor have I blamed anyone, Ron. You can paint me as lazy as you want to, but that does not make it true.

Nor have I blamed anyone

You blamed the economy.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1413823#1413823

I've yet to find anyone willing to hire a thirty-something college student at a living wage and the flexibility necessary to work around my school schedule.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1413848#1413848

That is easy to say, but the current job market just does not support that idea

Then you say things like

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1414903#1414903
If not for school, it would be little problem to find work, at least something to tide me over until I could find something I more enjoy. Also, if not for school, I would happily relocate. Unfortunately, in our current economic climate, I have to choose between a decent paying job now or and education now to help qualify me for a good paying job later. While I would like to have both (and have seen economic conditions in my adult lifete that would allow this), currently that is not likely, so I will make school a priority.

You seem to be missing the point that my number one priority is finishing school

You can paint me as lazy as you want to, but that does not make it true.

All I said is you are unwilling to work. And you admit it.

You are unwilling to work. I have even said that thats OK...But you still would rather blame other things for your lack of wanting to work.

Whatever you say Ron. I'm still waiting for you to make good on your offer of job leads, or was that just BS?

I'm still trying to decide if its worth my time since I question your desire to get a job. You have stated several times that you don't want a job and you have tried to blame everthing but your own desire to not have one.

Do I want to put my name on you if I doubt your desire to work? Is your work ethic going to make me look bad?

If you claim that you can't have a job due to the Economy, your school schedule...ect why should I waste my time?

Give me one reason to take a chance on you.

He won't follow up his words, all talk no action. He offered to bet me and ran away when I took him up on it.

When your bet was on your word, no proof...Yes.

I also offered a counter bet that you failed to take.