funks

Why the fuck can't we help our own?

Why do you care where and how the US goverment spends our tax dollars when you didn't even vote....[:/]

alright you twit, our tax dollars have nothing to do with discretionary funding that is set aside to assist other countries and those that need help, our country included.

is your sorry ass coming out drinking tonight?

this is not about me taking out my credit card and donating x amount to some charity that will most likely only put a small percentage towards the cause

you raise a good point. so you should check out the charities carefully to make sure your money is donated efficiently. try these websites: www.guidestar.org, www.charitywatch.org, www.give.org.

This is about the government being so willing to spend ridiculous amount of money (not just on the tsunami disaster) on helping other countries.

the government gets its money from us. we could get taxed more & then the government could use the money for aid. or we could just give our money to the aid organizations ourselves. Same thing. the money comes from us directly, or it gets filtered thru the government.

as JFK said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

and one other thing...do not tell me to quit my yapping.

oh, very well then. Carry on yapping.:D:D:D
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I am in an upper middle income bracket with a kid in college. Never was good at saving money, my fault, not blaming anyone. He does not quailify for any federal help and he can't get his own loans because he has no credit history. I have a bankruptcy in the past 10 years so that adds problems too. So far we have managed to scrounge up loans but it has been tricky. One I am paying on already and that started spring of his freshman year. Sorry but money is not falling out of the sky for people to go to school. He and is girl friend are getting serious and he has mentioned that married he could get loans no problem because he would no longer be a dependent. Shitty reason to get married. He has known for a long time that I would pay for his school, at least the passing grades and I think that is the correct thing to do if you can. Give you kid a leg up. BTW he works too so he can have spending money so it isn't like he has no commitment to this thing. If I lost my job in the next few months it probably would make little difference because they use last years tax return to decide what you are eligble for in federal help.

My point is that this is a way more complicated subject than people with no kids in college realize.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

My point is that this is a way more complicated subject than people with no kids in college realize.

I disagree. I went college, got loans (which I am currently repaying), and was the son of fairly wealthy parents. Want to help your kid? Take him off of -your- taxes and quit claiming him as a dependent, it worked for me.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

funny you should say chicago, I remember watching a program about third generations living on welfare and public housing. Is your man fit, send him down to warm sunny florida we need trainee roofers.

And leave his sick wife at home alone?

There is a shortage of jobs in Chicago. Just because someone saw a help wanted add while they were at Burger King on their lunch break doesn't mean crap. I talk to the unemployment offices several times a week - they use words like "bleek" and "terrible" when describing what the new job market is like.

I used this guy as an example because he is doing EVERYTHING possible to try to make money. He isn't lazy or unmotivated. There is nothing out there for him in the professional market because he is underqualified, and no simple retail environment wants him because he is over qualified.

I disagree. I went college, got loans (which I am currently repaying), and was the son of fairly wealthy parents. Want to help your kid? Take him off of -your- taxes and quit claiming him as a dependent, it worked for me.

-
Jim

It doesn't work that way. Up until you are the age of 24 your parents must fill out the FAFSA with you. There is no way around it unless you have three years of detailed receipts showing you have been on your own (even then they may not rule in your favor), or if you are a ward of the state.

I used this guy as an example because he is doing EVERYTHING possible to try to make money

No because he has not relocated. The school board I work for is begging for school bus drivers and they train. Construction trades are begging, walmart down here would hire him as a dept head more than likely. If he was in sales. He could work as a car salesman down here. Granted it might not be a VP job in a tall office building but there is things he could do. Tell ya what e mail me his resume and I'll see what I can do for him. Deal????

This is about the government being so willing to spend ridiculous amount of money (not just on the tsunami disaster) on helping other countries. We were so fucking concerned about putting food in the mouths of iraqi children and made it a priority to do so...

It's called humanity. Sometimes it's not compatible with rabid nationalism.

I agree with you sort of, in the short term. But those freeloaders have litters of children that learn to be freeloaders, who have more kids who learn to be freeloaders, and the cycle never ends. We don't need an entire culture of people who expects to live on hand-outs and that is what gets encouraged by continually giving away things that can be worked for.

When you subsidize something, you get more of it.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

What do you suggest? Stop providing health care and food for the children of freeloaders so that they don't survive to adulthood to break the cycle?

It would work;)

However making the freeloading parents work, and providing education for the kids would be better than just handing out checks. And you avoid that whole letting children starve thing.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

However making the freeloading parents work, and providing education for the kids would be better than just handing out checks.

Agree completely. But how do you do the first part? What if they won't?

How about providing child care, health insurance for children, food stamps, but no cash. Give people the support services that they need for their kids, but not money. People can choose to work or not, I suppose, but currently we make it way too easy for people to live off the system.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

currently we make it way too easy for people to live off the system.

Can you be a little more specific? Do you have personal knowledge, or are you just repeating something that you hear people say a lot? Do you know how much cash people receive through welfare programs? Because I do, and no one is living off of it.

In 1996, welfare reform legislation (The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act) ended federal entitlement to cash assistance (under the old Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) program). The 1996 law created a new welfare program, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), which:

limits the provision of cash assistance to families with a dependent child or pregnant woman;
imposes a 60 month lifetime limit on the receipt of benefits;
requires that a family's benefit be reduced if parents do not cooperate with child support officials;
denies assistance to individuals convicted of a drug felony ;
denies assistance (for a period of 10 years) to any person convicted of fraud in the receipt of benefits in two or more states;
denies assistance to teen parents not living in an adult-supervised setting; and
denies assistance to non-citizens who arrived in the United States after 1996.

-
Jim

When was that? Federal financial aid rules change regularly, and they never get simpler. Under Bush they've got much more restrictive.

-
Jim

They never helped you out at all? Didn't ever give you any money, food, a car, bus ticket, etc.?

currently we make it way too easy for people to live off the system.

Can you be a little more specific? Do you have personal knowledge, or are you just repeating something that you hear people say a lot? Do you know how much cash people receive through welfare programs? Because I do, and no one is living off of it.

In 1996, welfare reform legislation (The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act) ended federal entitlement to cash assistance (under the old Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) program). The 1996 law created a new welfare program, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), which:

limits the provision of cash assistance to families with a dependent child or pregnant woman;
imposes a 60 month lifetime limit on the receipt of benefits;
requires that a family's benefit be reduced if parents do not cooperate with child support officials;
denies assistance to individuals convicted of a drug felony ;
denies assistance (for a period of 10 years) to any person convicted of fraud in the receipt of benefits in two or more states;
denies assistance to teen parents not living in an adult-supervised setting; and
denies assistance to non-citizens who arrived in the United States after 1996.

Maybe I'm a little jaded from all my years as a social worker. Yes....I do have a little first-hand knowledge. I have seen waaaay too many people scheme on ways to get something for nothing....I often have thought that people can work harded to manipulate the system than they would've worked if they'd just have gotten a job. Blows me away. There are all kinds of "limitations" in place, and just as many ways for people to get around it. There was a time when I was much more idealistic about people and their needs. After working in the middle of that system for a number of years, my views changed.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

They never helped you out at all? Didn't ever give you any money, food, a car, bus ticket, etc.?

Occasional gifts of a few hundred dollars here and there and dinner out with the family once in a while, but nothing steady, and nothing I could count on.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I am in an upper middle income bracket with a kid in college. Never was good at saving money, my fault, not blaming anyone. He does not quailify for any federal help and he can't get his own loans because he has no credit history. I have a bankruptcy in the past 10 years so that adds problems too. So far we have managed to scrounge up loans but it has been tricky. One I am paying on already and that started spring of his freshman year. Sorry but money is not falling out of the sky for people to go to school. He and is girl friend are getting serious and he has mentioned that married he could get loans no problem because he would no longer be a dependent. Shitty reason to get married. He has known for a long time that I would pay for his school, at least the passing grades and I think that is the correct thing to do if you can. Give you kid a leg up. BTW he works too so he can have spending money so it isn't like he has no commitment to this thing. If I lost my job in the next few months it probably would make little difference because they use last years tax return to decide what you are eligble for in federal help.

Unfortunately kids from families in higher income brackets may have difficulty getting aid for college....unless they work for a few years first. But there's nothing wrong with waiting a few years for college either. Just be sure to earn a relatively profitable degree so that you can pay those loans back in a few years....
--

Unfortunately kids from families in higher income brackets may have difficulty getting aid for college....unless they work for a few years first. But there's nothing wrong with waiting a few years for college either. Just be sure to earn a relatively profitable degree so that you can pay those loans back in a few years....

Brains are an asset that shouldnlt be wasted.

For the right kind of person going to work and then going back to school may work but it is very hard. You get a life going and then you change the whole thing again. Having to study when you got used to going to the bar after work is not an easy transition to make.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I used this guy as an example because he is doing EVERYTHING possible to try to make money

No because he has not relocated. The school board I work for is begging for school bus drivers and they train. Construction trades are begging, walmart down here would hire him as a dept head more than likely. If he was in sales. He could work as a car salesman down here. Granted it might not be a VP job in a tall office building but there is things he could do. Tell ya what e mail me his resume and I'll see what I can do for him. Deal????

Where will he get the money to relocate? Will a bus company pay the $2000 or more moving fee? What about first and last month rent? Do you think a minimum wage job will help cover all those extra costs? What about finding new doctors that will take a patient with no health insurance?

Then there is the fact that most jobs want you to have a solid local residence before they will interview you (esp if its a low pay job).

The fact is he needs to focus on finding a job that won't cost him more in expenses than he would make in the first 2-6 months. He currently has me, someone else at my company, someone at WIA, someone at IETC, someone at IDES and someone at ABLE trying to help him find a job. Trust me when I say that all of us are trying all of the options, but relocation is not an option.

Where will he get the money to relocate? Will a bus company pay the $2000 or more moving fee? What about first and last month rent? Do you think a minimum wage job will help cover all those extra costs? What about finding new doctors that will take a patient with no health insurance?

a) you rent a room 1st month
b) it's not a min wage job
c) would finding a doctors that will take a patient with no health insurance be any easier in the windy city?

d) all you have to do is pass a fbi back round check and a dmv check

btw this guy have a 4 year degree?

all I am saying is there are jobs here in florida.