storm1977

Home ownership

DAMN. Prices are crazy all over. Here in Hermosa beach I saw a small two bedroom one bath beach house built around the 1960s, around 950sq feet $650K:S. It's on a huge property though. Sometimes I wonder how the hell is a single young professional like myself gonna afford a house in So Cali.

Here's a secret no one told you.... you won't be able to. You have to move to the shittiest neighborhood around and commute to the nice neighborhoods :-)

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

"Try not to borrow as much as you are "qualified " ***

right on

I also see this sometimes:

1970 bought home 65k

1980 home worth 80k, mortgage paid down to 48k,
they refinance for 32k cash

1990 home worth 90k, mortgage paid down to 71k,
they refi to get 19k to pay off credit cards

2004 home worth 100k, mortgage paid down to 79k,
they refi to get 21k to pay more credit cards and go to vegas

It's weird seeing this whole picture, they could have OWNED their home by 1995, now they are 54 yrs old and owe 100k on a house that's worth 100k and will be paid off when they are 84 yrs old.

damn

Right, but the flipside to this is the interest is tax deductable, and they are really only borrowing from themselves. Provided they didn't get raped with closing costs and prepayment penalties AND they can keep from getting into debt with their credit cards again, that's not a bad use of their home's equity. One tax deductable payment vs. several which aren't. Also keep in mind MOST people can't or don't borrow 100% of the value of their home, more like 90%

Sometimes I wonder how the hell is a single young professional like myself gonna afford a house in So Cali.

Today, the middle class just hop on the 10 heading east and keep going until they reach an off ramp with a mortgage payment that they can afford, and that likely means east of the San Bernadino range!

My 4 BR 3 BA house and 3.2 acres of land cost me about $182K in a small town in central Alabama. Monthly mortgage payments are a cool grand...

Alas, I don't skydive as much as I used to, but it sure is nice to have your own home...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban