smiles

should pit bulls be banned??

I was attacked several times growing up by a Golden Retriver (that's right...) Part of the reason was my age/things I did to pester (I never harmed the dog...) but some of it was the dogs temperament (she was a puppy mill dog)

on the other hand I don't think I ever even heard my last golden retriever growl at a single person. She was a very well bred dog from a well established breeder and we were a much older family and trained her (I was more educated then before.)

So, there is certainly an element of truth to genitics but also there is an element of training/environment.

Scott

(btw: doberman's are often given a bad rap they are very intellegent dogs and can be very good dogs as well.)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Does that apply to humans also? Is my question...One which you danced around. If you think a dog can be bred bad, can a person also be bred bad?

I suppose. What is your point Ron. Do you not believe that dogs are bred for certain traits. Wake up! It's no doubt humans could be bred for certain traits to. Think

The rest of your post is just dribble.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

I suppose. What is your point Ron. Do you not believe that dogs are bred for certain traits. Wake up! It's no doubt humans could be bred for certain traits to.

My point is for people to stop blaming the breed. It is how they are raised that makes them mean...Yes the fact that they are stong makes them more dangerous if they are rasied wrong. But that does not mean they should be outlawed.

The rest of your post is just dribble.

Your opinon, but I don't expect you to admit a double standard.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

First, I never said anything about human breeding. Even if I did, I just don't see noting a difference between humans and dogs as a double standard.

You're still looking for an argument, where I am not. I would like to understand why people desire pit bulls from someone who has or wants them. Never advocated banning or outlawing them. I'm seeking knowledge.

I'll put this to rest. You're right Ron, you're always right, you've always been right.

Now can anyone answer my question, please?

would like to understand why people desire pit bulls from someone who has or wants them. Never advocated banning or outlawing them. I'm seeking knowledge.

Now can anyone answer my question, please?

I answered your question here:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1409690#1409690

But you ignored it since it came from me.

Why would anyone want a dog?
Why would anyone want a Poodle?
Why would anyone want a pet?

A Pit is a very loyal breed. They also look very cool.

A well raised Pit is no dangerous than any other breed.

Problem is people don't raise them...They "own" them.

And when they do attack yes, they are strong and do damage.

However the media also plays it up...Just like they do gun violence

I'll put this to rest. You're right Ron, you're always right, you've always been right.

Funny when you can't defend your position you resort to those kinds of tactics.

Fine.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what your point of bringing up other topics is. Or comparing dogs to inanimate objects or people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You claim that a pit bull can be dangerous....So can a gun.

I'd rather compare the pit bull to a high performance canopy/wingloading.

You seem hell bent on canopy regulations to protect the high risk skydiver from himself[:/], but you have no problem with lack of regulation regarding certain animals to protect an innocent non-participant.

Talk about double standards

A well raised Pit is no dangerous than any other breed.

This is simply not true. False. Any reputable pit bull breeder will tell you Not to leave the breed alone with unfamilar children.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

This is simply not true. False. Any reputable pit bull breeder will tell you Not to leave the breed alone with unfamilar children.

Couldn't you say that about any large breed like rotties, Shepards, Akitas, dobies, mastifs, giant poddles, boxers, etc. I've know some freaking nasty goldens and another dogs which are considered good family pets. I would never leave my Akita alone with kids. She's a therapy dog and has undergone lots of training and tests but common sense is never to leave a big dog unattended with kids.

I'd rather compare the pit bull to a high performance canopy/wingloading.

Except others get hurt with a gun/Pit.

You seem hell bent on canopy regulations to protect the high risk skydiver from himself, but you have no problem with lack of regulation regarding certain animals to protect an innocent non-participant.

Talk about double standards

Regulations, not a ban. I also have said several times that a low timer that can show they have the skills needed should be allowed to jump what they want.

I would have no problem having a person PROVE he can handle a Pit before he gets one.

No double standard.....go fish.

Most large dog breeders will same the same thing about any large dog. I know a breeder that says that about toy poodles.

I wouldn't leave any dog alone with any child. Pitbull or not.

Mabey not, but if you had, I'd think you would leave him in a room with small spaniel before you would the Pitbull. My dog is alone with kids quite frequently. Neighbors come over to play when he is in the front yard, my niece's, ect. No way in Hell I would even let a pitbull roam free in my front yard. You just can't do that with that type of dog.

I would have no problem having a person PROVE he can handle a Pit before he gets one.

Would you feel the same way about people who want to buy a semi auto gun. This could lead to a gun registry and we all know how well that has worked for protecting your 2nd amendment

I for one would definately not leave my blue heeler mix alone with unfamilliar children. I don't have children and none of my friends have children so she isn't as child sociallized as I'd like. So when children come up wanting to pet her I make her sit and stay, have them let her sniff thier hand then let them pet her.

I actually am not worried at all that she would be agressive, but it's my job as an owner to make sure that she doesn't do anything inappropriate. I hope having the child wait till she sits and having them let her sniff them 1st before petting her, teaches the child how to appropriately approach a dog and greet it. Heck someone here even admitted to taunting a dog, while a better trained/tempermented dog may not have bit, but when cornered all bets are off.
Fly it like you stole it!

I wouldn't leave any dog alone with any child. Pitbull or not.

Mabey not, but if you had, I'd think you would leave him in a room with small spaniel before you would the Pitbull. My dog is alone with kids quite frequently. Neighbors come over to play when he is in the front yard, my niece's, ect. No way in Hell I would even let a pitbull roam free in my front yard. You just can't do that with that type of dog.

On the contrary, I would trust a pitbull over a spaniel. I also own a rottweiler and a mastiff, whom I would trust over a spaniel. But I know how to handle my dogs. They also know what I expect from them, but I would never leave them to babysit my son, ever. Dogs are living, thinking creatures, and even if I feel my dogs would never ever harm my son, it's not something I am willing to trust completely.

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky." -- Amelia Earhart

Would you feel the same way about people who want to buy a semi auto gun. This could lead to a gun registry and we all know how well that has worked for protecting your 2nd amendment

Pit Bulls are not protected under the Second Amendment....In fact I don't see any dogs or pets mentioned in the Constitution or in the Bill of Rights.

So as for guns. No.

Ron, I have always respected you in these forums but I have to speak up just for this one comment.

And handguns are only designed to kill.

The breed was bred to be strong and yes to fight. But that does not mean that it HAS to fight.

This quote is absurd coming from you. I am very anti-gun. I own no guns and choose not to have my children around them.
BUT; Handguns were designed for fighting and these dogs were bred for fighting.
Now if you leave a gun laying on the ground and my daughter walks by it she is in no harm, leave one of these dogs loose and my daughter walks by and there is a possibility that my daughter may get mauled or even worse, killed.

I really don't care that these animals hurt thier owners anymore, I am numb to that now but for godsake keep these animals away from our children.

Sorry Ron and I apologize for ranting. I'm done now.:)

I have a question. Why would anyone WANT a pitbull?

Dude, why would anyone want a tiny canopy that can do 80mph swoops?

I have two pit half breeds. They both have shown an inherent ferocity, but that only happened a couple of times when they were getting used to each other. I got the second a year after the first.

Pits are awesome dogs. I got mine mainly to have out in the woods when I go camping. They have a lot of emotion, the visiousness is just one side of that, same as a chow. Chows are one of the most loving dogs you can get. One of mine is the friendliest dog in the world, the other is scared of everybody because her previous owner used to beat her.

Of course all that emotion can be turned bad by a bad owner.

I was not talking about Your dogs. That not the point at all. If you can not admit that a pit bull is more dangerous than some other breeds I don't know what else to say. A well bred cocker spanial is well known for it's temperment with kids and many buy them for that reason alone. (Pits are usually great with kids inside the family though) Of course, due to the overwelming popularity of the breed, there were some breeding issues years ago. So any dog can have problems. You buy a Cocker from a pet store you can likely have problems. The same could be said for most breeds though. And as the # 1 most registered dog for many years(before the Lab), bad breeding is apparent in cockers more than some others.

That said a WELL bred Cocker is a much safer dog around children than a WELL bred Pit bull.

Not to mention a great grouse/pheasant hunter;)

Just for the record I am not against owning pits, or rotties. I have been around many of both breeds and some are wonderful dogs. I would like to have a rot some day. They just don't hunt birds that well though. :o

You're a piece of work Ron. Way to duck the question.
So the only reason your against gun control is because of the way the 2nd ammendment is written. Your full of shit. If you did not like guns would you still fight for them

I was not talking about Your dogs. That not the point at all. If you can not admit that a pit bull is more dangerous than some other breeds I don't know what else to say. A well bred cocker spanial is well known for it's temperment with kids and many buy them for that reason alone. (Pits are usually great with kids inside the family though) Of course, due to the overwelming popularity of the breed, there were some breeding issues years ago. So any dog can have problems. You buy a Cocker from a pet store you can likely have problems. The same could be said for most breeds though. And as the # 1 most registered dog for many years(before the Lab), bad breeding is apparent in cockers more than some others.

That said a WELL bred Cocker is a much safer dog around children than a WELL bred Pit bull.

Not to mention a great grouse/pheasant hunter;)

Just for the record I am not against owning pits, or rotties. I have been around many of both breeds and some are wonderful dogs. I would like to have a rot some day. They just don't hunt birds that well though.

Actually if you had read any of my previous posts, I admitted that pitbulls can be dangerous, especially in the wrong hands. I still however stand on trusting them over cocker spaniels. I say that from 14 years of dog/training experience. Cocker Spaniels are fear biters. And although you can minimize that by purchasing from a breeder who breeds for stability in temperament, I have still seen far too many cases to convince me.
I never said you were talking about my dogs. I like the work ethic of my dogs, and I also like the work ethic and loyalty of a pitbull. If someone who buys a pitbull doesn't take the time to educate themselves on the training and socializing needs of this breed, then I feel they should be held soley responsible if thier dog reacts poorly.
You have your reasons for prefering a cocker, and I have my reasons for prefering a pit, rott, etc. But having experience for so long, as being a "stanger" to these dogs, I feel that pitbulls are extremely misunderstood. And I truely wish there was a way to regulate owning one, without banning them.

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky." -- Amelia Earhart

I may not know breeds that well but , from my exposure I have seen more smaller dogs be highly agressive than larger breeds. The smaller dog don't have the hurting power of larger ones but do not take small dogs as having a great temperment. My mother has a cocker spanial that barks at everyone. Hell at one get together the dog was freaking out and when I went to pick him up and put him outside he bit me.
Kirk

I still however stand on trusting them over cocker spaniels

Well we will have to agree to disagree then. I have been around Cockers at least 10 times to the amount of Pit bulls. That is not to say I have not been around plenty of Pit bulls. I have never seen someone suffer an injury from a Cocker yet have seen several form Pit Bulls. Mabey it is a difference in our culture, enviroment, whatever. You responded to my reply to Ron where he claimed a Pit bull was no more dangerous than any other dog. I called bullshit. This was never meant to be a Cocker vs pit bull debate. I just used it as an example because I currently own one and they are well known for being great with kids.

You have your reasons for prefering a cocker, and I have my reasons for prefering a pit, rott, etc

Now I never said I preffered a Cocker over anything, although at this time in my life/lifestyle, a cocker or any other well tempered Gun dog is a more sensible choice for me and my Pregnant Wife. I may own a pit or rott someday. More likely the rottweiler though

Have a happy new year